Dec 30th, 2023
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
GREAT FISHING in the Nueces Canyon! #12161837 03/28/17 02:45 PM
banker-always fishing Offline OP
Pumpkin Head
OP Offline
Pumpkin Head
Myself and Clayton aka Wildman of the navidad fished the Nueces Canyon. We started at 9am and fished till 3:30pm. The bite was "AWESOME" with plenty of fish very active. We started the day at the Camp Wood Creek just outside of Camp Wood. The creek is in GREAT shape with a super flow! The water is crystal clear and some of the pockets had good Hydrilla beds. We caught numerous bass in the 1 to 2 pound range. A few nice Bluegill,a couple of Rios,plenty of Longear,and a small Flathead Catfish. Clayton had a nice Flathead break off while fishing one of the deeper pockets. Fish were holding by both weed and hydrilla beds in the shallow spots and were holding by ledges in the deeper spots. We spotted lots of nice Rios but most of them were not interested in our worms. Both bottom and float techniques were used and all of the fish caught on the Camp Wood Creek were released. We took a quick break in Camp Wood and then headed to a spot on the Nueces River. The river is in GREAT shape with good flow and deep pockets. There is also plenty of weed,grass,and hydrilla beds. The water is crystal clear. The Nueces is on FIRE with plenty of very active fish. Nice fat Bluegill,Redear,Tilapia,Redbreast,and several nice bass were caught. We caught over 50 fish and left them biting. We kept about 15 fish for the frying pan and released most. Fish were stacked by weed beds and the hydrilla beds in shallow water. Worms with a bottom technique were used. After an AWESOME day of Canyon Fishing we had a GREAT dinner at the Townhouse Restaurant located in beautiful downtown Uvalde. Fishing a piece of God's Country with a friend and super angler. It just don't get any better! fish

[Linked Image][Linked Image]

IGFA World Record Rio Grande Cichlid. Lake Dunlap.

John 3:16

Sinner's Prayer. God forgive me a sinner. I accept Jesus Christ as my Savior !
Re: GREAT FISHING in the Nueces Canyon! [Re: banker-always fishing] #12161853 03/28/17 02:52 PM
Pumpkin Head
OP Offline
Pumpkin Head
PENDING REDEAR RECORD !

Caught a SUPER NICE Redear while fishing the Nueces River. The fish was 11.25"in length with a girth of 10". The certified weight of the fish was 1.21 Lbs. This shattered the old Nueces River record! Paper work will be sent to the Texas Parks&Wildlife Dept. cheers

Side Note: The fish was not released due to it swallowing the hook! The fish was "released to the grease"! thumb

Re: GREAT FISHING in the Nueces Canyon! [Re: banker-always fishing] #12162131 03/28/17 05:28 PM
P
Pot licker Online Content
TFF Celebrity
Online Content
TFF Celebrity
P
Awesome post Banker and congrats on new record!! cheers

Texas Elite Angler 🎣
https://www.jiglyf.com
Re: GREAT FISHING in the Nueces Canyon! [Re: banker-always fishing] #12162136 03/28/17 05:29 PM
G
gar1970 Online Content
TFF Celebrity
Online Content
TFF Celebrity
G
Huge redear! Congrats chuck on your new record.

https://www.Jiglyf.com

TEXAS ELITE ANGLER
Re: GREAT FISHING in the Nueces Canyon! [Re: gar1970] #12162149 03/28/17 05:36 PM
Pumpkin Head
OP Offline
Pumpkin Head
Thanks Pot licker and Leo for the replies! cheers You guys are living the dream being in GODS COUNTRY! Love that part of Texas! texas

Side Note: Leo. Hopefully you can make some future time for fishing the W.Nueces! Sorry I could not make it today! Hope to see you soon! rockon Pot licker! Saw you post in the photo section of the forum about the Buffet! Great post and super fish! thumb

Re: GREAT FISHING in the Nueces Canyon! [Re: banker-always fishing] #12162238 03/28/17 06:23 PM
L
Laker One Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
L
Outstanding post! Nice bunch of fish and CONGRATULATIONS Chuck on yet another RECORD! You always seem to find the HUGE FISH! Good fishing guys! woot

Side Note: Was this your first trip this year to the Nueces Canyon? Was wondering if you have ever fished the crossing near Uvalde? Myself,Jeff,and Steve will be fishing the Canyon this April and have our Kayak course already planned out. Will be fishing both the Frio and Nueces Rivers! Any current advice and reports would be appreciated. Again super fish and congrats on your new record! partyon

Re: GREAT FISHING in the Nueces Canyon! [Re: banker-always fishing] #12162758 03/28/17 10:40 PM
B
Brad R Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
B
"Paper work will be sent to the Texas Parks&Wildlife Dept."

Excellent! The ink might not dry on your new record . . . before you exceed it again!

So, for panfish of all sorts, what does one actually submit to TPWD for a lake or other body of water record? I'm guessing a weight on a certified scale, and photo perhaps up against a ruler according to the rules (what, pinched mouth and tail?), then all of the details related to how, when and where you caught it?

I think this is a great way to document what is going on, fish wise, in our waters.

Brad

Re: GREAT FISHING in the Nueces Canyon! [Re: Brad R] #12162903 03/29/17 12:04 AM
W
Wildman of the navidad Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
W
Originally Posted By: Brad R
"Paper work will be sent to the Texas Parks&Wildlife Dept."

Excellent! The ink might not dry on your new record . . . before you exceed it again!

So, for panfish of all sorts, what does one actually submit to TPWD for a lake or other body of water record? I'm guessing a weight on a certified scale, and photo perhaps up against a ruler according to the rules (what, pinched mouth and tail?), then all of the details related to how, when and where you caught it?

I think this is a great way to document what is going on, fish wise, in our waters.

Brad

Weight on certified scales length and girth pictures a picture of you holding the fish you can download the pdf file off of tpws and print off the form... fishing license number personal info method that was used and place of catch its fairly simple once you doit there's instructions on. The site I think I'm with you I think it helps tpw know what kind of fish are where

Psalm:91

Quote on the wildman" They Said he'd eat the hair off of a man's head when he was hungry
and squeeze the water out of rocks when he was thirsty"
Re: GREAT FISHING in the Nueces Canyon! [Re: banker-always fishing] #12162966 03/29/17 12:30 AM
W
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
W

A few pictures I got one very memorable trip awesome fishing with a great friend

Quote on the wildman" They Said he'd eat the hair off of a man's head when he was hungry
Re: GREAT FISHING in the Nueces Canyon! [Re: banker-always fishing] #12162980 03/29/17 12:37 AM
W
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
W
Never fished place before like we fished yesterday I'll never forget it great time

Re: GREAT FISHING in the Nueces Canyon! [Re: Brad R] #12163601 03/29/17 10:55 AM
Pumpkin Head
OP Offline
Pumpkin Head
Thanks Curtis and Brad for the replies! cheers Curtis: You guys should have a blast. breakdance The Canyon is looking great and both the Nueces and Frio Rivers are in GREAT shape. clap Fish are super ACTIVE! hooked Ran into Jeff at Acadamey and he showed me your routs,camp, and take out spots. Looks like you guys have done a super job on planning out your rout. Stay safe and have a GREAT time. rockon

Side Note: The Canyon area got some nice RAIN! Great for the rivers and creeks. partyon

Brad: I have been part of the Angler Recognition Program with Parks&Wildlife as an Official Weigh Station. I have been with the program for eight years and can HONESTLY say it is a GREAT program. The program has made me more aware of taking care of our natural resources and how important they are. The program also gives an angler a personal challenge. Most anglers choose not to record a fish but there are also a lot of anglers that do. The process is fairly simple. #1. Record's Application.(Can download it from Texas Parks&Wildlife Web Site).#2.Get fish weighed from a scale that has been calibrated yearly by a licensed scale company(Weight Records).#3.Three photos of the fish. Photos showing the length,girth,and the angler holding the fish. For Catch&Release(Minimal length required.Length Chart on TPW Website)Records all you need is the records application,a photo of the fish's length,photo of the angler holding the fish,and a witness to the release. You send the completed work to the Anglers Recognition Program of the Texas Parks&Wildlife for the Official Record. The program also gives awards out for Elite Angler,Big Fish Awards,First Fish Awards,and Outstanding Angler Award. You can get all the information about the program and the records process on the Parks&Wildlife Web site.

I can HONESTLY say that over the years I have helped a lot of anglers through the records process and weighing their fish and every angler has been AWESOME and they truly love and respect the outdoors. I love the program and the people with Parks&Wildlife that oversee the program. thumb

Side Note: You are also 100 percent right about the records program giving Parks&Wildlife vital information on fish habitat on water bodies in the state. cheers

Clayton. You are getting pretty good with that Ultra light! welcome to "Perch Jerking"! hooked

Side Note: coolphotos Clayton. Love that Nueces Canyon! rockon

Re: GREAT FISHING in the Nueces Canyon! [Re: banker-always fishing] #12163692 03/29/17 12:34 PM
B
Brad R Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
B
For panfish, could you recommend a particular scale? Your preference?

I note that the Boga Grip seems to be highly regarded and seems to be involved in more record weighings each year than most others, but it seems it has a "quarter pound" incremental limitation or sensitivity. If I have that correct, that is a big increment for fish perhaps weighing just over 1 pound.

Would this suggest that it, then, would only record pounds like this: 1, 1.25, 1.50, 1.75 and so on?

I like the ideas you state . . . doing our parts to provide valuable information on species stats, even their ranges.

Brad

Re: GREAT FISHING in the Nueces Canyon! [Re: Brad R] #12163921 03/29/17 02:31 PM
Pumpkin Head
OP Offline
Pumpkin Head
Originally Posted By: Brad R
For panfish, could you recommend a particular scale? Your preference?

I note that the Boga Grip seems to be highly regarded and seems to be involved in more record weighings each year than most others, but it seems it has a "quarter pound" incremental limitation or sensitivity. If I have that correct, that is a big increment for fish perhaps weighing just over 1 pound.

Would this suggest that it, then, would only record pounds like this: 1, 1.25, 1.50, 1.75 and so on?

I like the ideas you state . . . doing our parts to provide valuable information on species stats, even their ranges.

Brad

Brad if you are looking for a scale to record fish there are a lot of nice scales on line. Berkley and Rapala have some good ones. I would also find a licensed scale company in your area that can calibrate your scale and ask them to recommend a scale. Let them know what you plan to use it for. I bought my scale from P&S Scale Company in San Antonio. It is a Avery Berkler digital scale with a built in battery pack. The scale is portable. P&S Scale also completes my yearly calibration and maintains records of my scale. I also keep records of my scale as well. You can either use your scale personally or you can contact Ron Smith who is head of the Anglers Recognition Program (Phone number on the TPW Website) and he can register your scale as an Official Weigh Station! Either way you will have a scale that can certify Texas fish records. thumb

Side Note: If you are going to weigh a fish that you caught and are going to use your scale, make sure you have someone else weigh your fish ! coolio

Re: GREAT FISHING in the Nueces Canyon! [Re: banker-always fishing] #12164139 03/29/17 04:25 PM
C
Catfish-hunter Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
C
Nice job,a little road trip sure can pay off. Those are some hogs!

Side note,if you enjoy making people smile,you can do what we have done and took our kids record to the ups store. The 2 late teen/early 20's girls working that day was a trip. The city girl said" Do what?" And other just said "Sure,Where's it at?" She grabbed the fish,weighed it,put it back in the bucket, then wiped off the water with a beach wipe. Oh man,she had it all. Gonna make a fine wife. sick

Re: GREAT FISHING in the Nueces Canyon! [Re: banker-always fishing] #12165018 03/30/17 02:40 AM
1960texan Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
Nice fish and photos Chuck and Wildman!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide