Print Thread
Calorie Counter App #12159566 03/27/17 07:13 AM
P
PSG Offline OP
TFF Celebrity
OP Offline
TFF Celebrity
P
When I started law school in 2014, I weighed around 290, and thought that i'd freak if I ever went over 300 (I'm 6'3" & 31 years old now). After the holidays this year, I clocked in at 324, and knew something had to change. I felt like hammered hades, and I'm on cholesterol, blood pressure, gout, thyroid, and acid reflux meds, and I hate to imagine what I'd be on at age 50.

One of my buddies from high school (a former fatty himself) is now a doctor, and he swears that exercise is only helpful for short-term (even though it shouldn't be neglected because weak muscles can cause injury), and only changes in diet habits can help the problem in the long-term. After talking with him, I downloaded MyFitnessPal in January and really do try to track calories in there. It helps to hold me accountable for what I eat, and I try to come in under my 2400 calories per day. When I weighed myself yesterday morning, I was at 302 after a couple of months of use. The goal is to be at 295 by the time graduation rolls around in mid-May, and I think I can do it. The wife downloaded it and has dropped 10 pounds. Plus, one of us can enter in a meal and the other can access it and add it to our food diary.

When you cook at home, you can scan the barcode of the ingredient/food, and it'll bring up calories and nutrition information for it. It keeps me eating at home a lot more often, too.

Have any of y'all tried one of these apps, and has it worked? Mine has helped, but I'm afraid I'm going to plateau soon and stay on the bad side of the scale.

I fish better with a lit cigar; some people fish better with talent. - Nick Lyons
Re: Calorie Counter App [Re: PSG] #12159675 03/27/17 12:37 PM
B
Bass_Bustin_Texan Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
B
If you plateau try 'counting marcos'. It breaks down the fat, carbs, and proteins. Giving you an amount of each you can eat. There are people who calculate these for you based on your activity level, size, what you expect, ect. My wife does it (and uses that app)....it's the next step to get away from only counting calories. You need protein in your life...lot of it! She wants me to get my calculated not for loosing weight, but for keeping me fed and fueled for my workouts, help build muscles instead of burning them away.

I firmly believe exercise is key. Besides getting your metabolism going it makes you feel better, sleep better, mind function, stamina, back pains go away, ect. 38 years into my life I found out I was missing this link, now I don't go without it.

Good luck!! Whatever you do, stick with it!

You can avoid having ulcers by adapting to the situation: If you fall in the mud puddle, check your pockets for fish. ~Unknown

Open your eyes & look within, are you satisfied with the life youre living.

No matter how good or bad you have it, wake up each day thankful for your life. Someone somewhere else is desperately fighting for theirs.
Re: Calorie Counter App [Re: PSG] #12159724 03/27/17 01:11 PM
Nocona Brian Online Happy
TFF Guru
Online Happy
TFF Guru
I remember last year several on here using it. They all said it worked, so I checked it out and there's no reason it shouldn't, but I'm not dedicated enough to stick with it. Hopefully you can shed some more lbs, and get off some of that medication. Sounds like you're on your way.

LIKE the TFF on Facebook - www.facebook.com/texasfishingforum
Re: Calorie Counter App [Re: PSG] #12191139 04/10/17 04:28 AM
E
exbellicus Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
E
I use My Fitness Pal. It's really handy, especially to help you learn portion control. I eat the same things frequently, and I can put it my whole day's meals in under 30 seconds.

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide