864003 Topics
12278499 Posts

Max Online: 36273 @ 01/23/13 02:34 PM
Topic Options
#12147587 - 03/19/17 08:02 AM Hook and Hackle Gauges
kickingback Offline
Pro Angler

Loc: Texas
Was looking at my small hook and hackle gauge made by Griffon and was curious as to other gauges available. Found a few different ones on the internet like the ones below. The small ones are $2 on EBay and the Whiting Farms is $19. I cannot find the Du Bois anywhere but they sell them up north at a few fly shops like "Big Meadows Fly Shop" in Pennsylvania I was told. I like it becasue it can give you the length of hook as well as the size. And it has gauges for tail and wing lengths. That can be useful in situations. I will try to pick me up one of these if I can find them.
I am still looking around for a better hook/hackle/wing/tail/wet/dry "all-in-one" gauge. In looking around I noticed that the "Terminal Tackle Factory" has a catalog that is the exact hook sizes as in real life. I have used it numerous times to sort through some old hooks I find or need a substitute for a hook to tie. They have a great stock of great hooks as well but the catalog is perfect for sizing hooks. Been using the catalog for the larger saltwater hooks I tie as well.
The small plastic hackle gauge I have will work fine but was wondering if there was a different way of measuring hackle,tails and wings that may be printed out and used. Just curious if anyone has found something they like or want.
Thanks for any inputs.

Paper gauges..

Edited by kickingback (03/19/17 11:58 AM)

#12148288 - 03/19/17 07:19 PM Re: Hook and Hackle Gauges [Re: kickingback]
RexW Offline
TFF Team Angler

Loc: Sherman, TX

Just curious, do you currently use a gauge or are you looking to buy your first one?

I bought one similar to the square wood looking one in near the bottom of your list when I started tying. I quickly decided it wasn't very helpful to me.

Hackles can be sized quickly using the hook in the vise. Hook sizes vary by manufacturer and style of hook. One brand's sz 14 will be another brand's size 16. I'm not sure that an accurate hook gauge actually exists.

I have found that measuring tails and wings is beneficial, but I just use one of those hem gauge style rulers made for sewing to compare to the actual hook that I am tying on.

Some people may love using the style gauges that you've listed, but that is one fly tying tool that I regret buying.

#12149379 - 03/20/17 12:51 PM Re: Hook and Hackle Gauges [Re: kickingback]
kickingback Offline
Pro Angler

I can see what you mean. These are expensive just for a measuring or reference tool when experience is better most of the time.
I got the small one as well and was just curious of the others ones out there. The hook scale is more beneficial to me as I find hooks lying around everywhere and the scale helps me sort them.
I would be interested in finding or maybe actually producing one that has a standard hackle gauge, Hook scale like the DuBois with details on lengths as well as size, wing scale for sizing wing material, tail scale for measuring lengths of tail material, and a "wet"/"dry" fly scale. I am thinking others may find it useful as I think it may be. Will experiment and see how it will turn out.

I found three others looking around today...the first two blue ones are japan made and $30 each. The other is in Montana (Icon Fly Stages) about $20

Edited by kickingback (03/21/17 05:34 AM)

#12150501 - 03/21/17 06:24 AM Re: Hook and Hackle Gauges [Re: kickingback]
kickingback Offline
Pro Angler

Found a guy that made his own by copying the DuBois model. He sells them for $25 +$4.95 shipping. You can contact him at mhogue@twcny.rr.com
Just send him an email that you want one and pay by PayPal.

Edited by kickingback (03/21/17 06:25 AM)

© 1998-2017 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide