Page 1 of 2 1 2
THSBA Regional & State - Boat Captians ???? #12144244 03/16/17 08:33 PM
S
Shallow Waters Offline OP
Extreme Angler
OP Offline
Extreme Angler
S
I cant seem to find it on the THSBA website anymore, but did I read that Boat Captains were not allowed to fish during the Regional and State Championship days? The link to boat captain rules on the website just takes you to the same page as the 2016-2017 Tournament Rules and I cant seem to find anything on this any more. I am just asking because I need to figure out space and tackle before booking lodging for the tournament. Thanks,

Re: THSBA Regional & State - Boat Captians ???? [Re: Shallow Waters] #12144287 03/16/17 09:03 PM
T
Txduckhunter Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
T
Correct, captains are not allowed to fish on the tourney days. I believe you can still do everything else - run the trolling motor, net fish, give advice, etc, you just can't pick up a rod.
I seldom pick up a rod during any of these tourneys and (now) only run the trolling motor if they ask so during Regionals and at State I film and take photos of them fishing.

Re: THSBA Regional & State - Boat Captians ???? [Re: Shallow Waters] #12144324 03/16/17 09:29 PM
Tim Haugh Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
Txduckhunter is absolutely correct. Of course, Captains can still fish with their students on practice days, just not during the official tournament hours.

President, Texas High School Bass Association (THSBA)
www.thsba.net
President, Collegiate Bass Trail of Texas (CBTT)
www.collegiatebasstrailoftexas.com
Re: THSBA Regional & State - Boat Captians ???? [Re: Shallow Waters] #12148713 03/20/17 06:38 AM
G
GHS Bass Team Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
G
I would like to see that Boat Captains can't fish at any of the tournaments. this is for the kids!! if the boat captains can't fish at Regional and State then they shouldn't fish during the regular season.. Our 2 cents..

Gunter High School Bass Team
Skeeter FX21
Re: THSBA Regional & State - Boat Captians ???? [Re: Shallow Waters] #12148911 03/20/17 01:34 PM
RedBarn Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
This is my second year to captain for Mt. Pleasant....last year I entered the side pot and fished every tournament except for the Regional and State tournaments where we weren't allowed. This year I've entered but haven't really fished alot............my take on the captains fishing is that it should be allowed in EVERY tournament all the way thru state. I've noticed that not only does the captain being able to fish aid the kids in colors and techniques, it also keeps them excited and fishing. I can't tell you how many times I've picked up a rod this year, caught a fish and (refocused) them. In my opinion, it helps!!!

Ephesians 1:7
Re: THSBA Regional & State - Boat Captians ???? [Re: Shallow Waters] #12149042 03/20/17 02:44 PM
T
Txduckhunter Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
T
The problem with not allowing captains to fish in qualifiers - you'll lose some of your captains. I've spoken to, and know, a lot of guys who WILL NOT take a kid if they can't fish. I'm not going to go into how I actually feel about what this says about a person because it's just my opinion.
I've never entered the side pot and I never will. I fish 3 circuits for myself and am on the water plenty, not fishing during their tourneys isn't going to hurt me and I'd rather mentor than fish. We get together on non-tourney weekends and fish as well, sometimes they are with me when I am pre-fishing for my stuff. The thought of sticking a good fish in front of them that they needed makes me sick.
My nephew captained at his second tourney with some boys from his neighborhood this past Saturday. He never picked up a rod and told them exactly where to throw and how to approach the cover. They finished 8th.

Captains can fish during practice at Regionals and State. This would be the time for them to establish a pattern and show how to catch them. I've picked up a rod twice this year and stuck fish - both times it was because my boys weren't focused and listening to what I was telling them. In short, it was because I was highly irritated with my two and needed to make a point. I HATED to do it.
In theory, by the time a team qualifies for regionals (and if they make State), they should be solid enough to stand on their own. It's a great learning experience for them and helps teach them that they are responsible for their actions and decisions.

Re: THSBA Regional & State - Boat Captians ???? [Re: Shallow Waters] #12149210 03/20/17 04:16 PM
S
Shallow Waters Offline OP
Extreme Angler
OP Offline
Extreme Angler
S
I wasnt really concerned about being able to fish or not, I just wanted to make sure I had seen the rule and verify I wasnt losing my mind. I am not really concerned with being able to fish or not, it was more of a preparation question.

I think it should be left up to the captains on whether or not they fish in any tournament. I fish some during the tournaments but most of the time I directing the boys. I am typically in the back of the boat directly the boys on location and speed and only cast in the opposite direction of them when I do fish. Since there really isnt a handbook on being a great captain I would just let the boats decide. If the captain think it helps and the kids are ok with it, then let it go. If the kids arent ok with it and the captain wont stop then its an internal boat problem.

I honestly cant say that my fishing or not fishing during a tournament has helped or hurt my boys, but I have never fished the same direction as them or worked their cover. Most of my fishing is really just casting, and I am always working on a different technique during their tournaments.

Entered the side pot twice, didnt catch a single fish either time.

Re: THSBA Regional & State - Boat Captians ???? [Re: Shallow Waters] #12149240 03/20/17 04:32 PM
N
Nathan_Flovin Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
N
First one I fished this year was at granbury and that was also my first ever event. My dad was fishing because we didnt exspect to catch much since we hadnt been on that lake and he thought it would help figure out the bite for us to catch fish. We were working down the bank and he hooked into a BIG fish. We got it in at it was 9.18, having to release it and not weigh it in sucked so much. He hasnt fished much since for that reason.

Last edited by Nathan_Flovin; 03/20/17 04:32 PM.
Re: THSBA Regional & State - Boat Captians ???? [Re: Tim Haugh] #12149526 03/20/17 07:22 PM
rattletrap Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
Will the Regional and the State tournaments be trailering tournaments as the rest have been?

Re: THSBA Regional & State - Boat Captians ???? [Re: rattletrap] #12149626 03/20/17 08:27 PM
K
Ken Starling Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
K
The Regionals will be trailering. The State as of now is not going to be. It will be random boat draw and the order will be reversed on day 2. The reason being is this is the final event and the takeoffs are a big part of when the families come to watch and will also allow staggered weigh in times as well.
Originally Posted By: rattletrap
Will the Regional and the State tournaments be trailering tournaments as the rest have been?

Re: THSBA Regional & State - Boat Captians ???? [Re: Shallow Waters] #12149699 03/20/17 09:18 PM
C130 Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
I always enter the side pot but hardly ever, if at all, fish. I pay the $20 to basicallly donate half to the scholarship fund, at least that's what I think half of the money goes to if I recall correctly. My son and I are both excited for the east vs.Houston regional. Thanks to the THSBA and all the volunteers for a well run series.

Last edited by C130; 03/20/17 09:19 PM.

Bass Cat Eyra
Re: THSBA Regional & State - Boat Captians ???? [Re: C130] #12149737 03/20/17 09:52 PM
T
Txduckhunter Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
T
Originally Posted By: C130
I always enter the side pot but hardly ever, if at all, fish. I pay the $20 to basicallly donate half to the scholarship fund, at least that's what I think half of the money goes to if I recall correctly. My son and I are both excited for the east vs.Houston regional. Thanks to the THSBA and all the volunteers for a well run series.

I captain for Quitman HS, running a white/blue legend w/an ETEC. Hit me up if you see us, be great to meet some of the other guys fishing.

Re: THSBA Regional & State - Boat Captians ???? [Re: Txduckhunter] #12149771 03/20/17 10:15 PM
C130 Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
Originally Posted By: Txduckhunter
Originally Posted By: C130

I captain for Quitman HS, running a white/blue legend w/an ETEC. Hit me up if you see us, be great to meet some of the other guys fishing.

Sounds good, we'll be in a grey/white/raspberry Bass Cat Eyra. It'll just be me and my son. We plan to go up the 13th, rented a house close to Jackson Hill.

Bass Cat Eyra
Re: THSBA Regional & State - Boat Captians ???? [Re: RedBarn] #12149800 03/20/17 10:35 PM
H
hookedon Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
H
Originally Posted By: Alan Denson
This is my second year to captain for Mt. Pleasant....last year I entered the side pot and fished every tournament except for the Regional and State tournaments where we weren't allowed. This year I've entered but haven't really fished alot............my take on the captains fishing is that it should be allowed in EVERY tournament all the way thru state. I've noticed that not only does the captain being able to fish aid the kids in colors and techniques, it also keeps them excited and fishing. I can't tell you how many times I've picked up a rod this year, caught a fish and (refocused) them. In my opinion, it helps!!!

Exactly, it does not hurt a thing being able to fish and demonstrate better, A polygraph is given so don't see the big deal.

Re: THSBA Regional & State - Boat Captians ???? [Re: GHS Bass Team] #12150462 03/21/17 07:26 AM
H
hawlinbass Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
H
Originally Posted By: GHS Bass Team
I would like to see that Boat Captains can't fish at any of the tournaments. this is for the kids!! if the boat captains can't fish at Regional and State then they shouldn't fish during the regular season.. Our 2 cents..

2cents

I couldn't agree more with GHS Bass Team. I do not fish during the THSBA tournaments nor will I ever. This is supposed to be all about the kids fishing. I have been fishing tournaments all my life and I don't need to be fishing during these THSBA tournaments. I take my boys out prefishing and show them the patterns and how to stick the fish then not the day of the tournament. When it comes to tournament day its all on them to catch the fish. I do verbally coach them and assist in anyway possible but I just cant bring myself to picking up a rod. I do see yalls point of picking up a rod to motivate them when needed but I would be absolutely sick if I stuck a fish they needed when doing so. I have heard of this exact scenario happening to several teams this year and it made a huge impact of the boys standings for that day and AOY. Not only would it crush me but I'm sure it would absolutely crush my boys.

If these boat captains insist on a chance to win a few hundred bucks then I think the $20 side pot should continue but as a Captain/THSBA angler side pot. Meaning the captains don't fish but can put in a $20 side pot that is for the anglers and captain to split as a team. Kind of like a bet that your THSBA anglers will win. Now I think that would be fun and motivate these captains to help the boys catch more fish rather then worrying about lining their own pockets with a few hundred bucks.

Tight lines!

2005 Stratos 201xl DC Merc 250 EFI, Twin Minnkota Talon
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide