Print Thread
What do I need to add a motor to yak? #12126603 03/06/17 04:00 PM
T
tonyguitarguy Offline OP
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
T
What is the procedure to add a trolling motor to my yak? What paperwork will I need and what fees? Also, what size battery do I go with to power the motor?

Re: What do I need to add a motor to yak? [Re: tonyguitarguy] #12127667 03/06/17 11:57 PM
I
IslandJim Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
I
Title to the kayak, registration and numbers. Title is acquired from TPWD, after forms, Bills of Sale, Manufacturer's Statement of Origin, have been supplied. They're nice, but make you obey the law(all of them). The registration(and UGLY BIG Sticker) is for two years, at least. Depending on whether you have to have a Game Warden Inspection, it will cost $60-$85 dollars.
I used a 40-pound thrust Minn-Kota and a 35-amp-hour AGM deep cycle battery. It weighs about 27 pounds. I couldn't see putting a 60-pound car battery in my 60 pound kayak! The trolling motor is heavy enough. I have never come back from a fishing trip with less than 12 volts in the battery.
I got some knowledge on this site about using a model airplane prop, instead of the trolling motor prop. They're designed to pull around a 2000 pound bass boat. I used a 12" model airplane prop, cut an inch off each blade, which left me a 10" prop. I made a "prop spinner" out of a plastic wine glass. It works great, and uses about 1/3 of the amperage of the stock prop. Plenty of speed. When it gets a bunch of grass on it, you can tell. I just stop, go to reverse for a couple of seconds, and it cleans itself.
I mounted mine on the side, just aft of the cockpit. You will need a rudder with this method.
Stern mounting is great, but requires more rigging, and steering and a lifting apparatus.
Hope this helps, I try to point out the "realities" of modifications.
IslandJim

I'm an Eighth Day Adventist. On the Eighth Day, God went fishing!
Re: What do I need to add a motor to yak? [Re: tonyguitarguy] #12128188 03/07/17 03:37 AM
T
tonyguitarguy Offline OP
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
T
Nice, thanks for the info!

Re: What do I need to add a motor to yak? [Re: tonyguitarguy] #12128248 03/07/17 04:00 AM
B
Bass Art Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
B
The paperwork is probably going to go away soon. TPWD is going to eliminate the registration requirement for kayaks with motors, probably this year.

I have a Commander 140 with a rudder kit. I mounted my Motorguide TM on the stern, made a steering bracket that utilized the rudder cables, and use a rope tied to an eyebolt on the TM shaft for tilting the motor up. I have 35 and 105 amp-hour batteries, and I've used both. I'm currently looking for a Dura Amp or Maximizer motor to install on my kayak.

Artie
Re: What do I need to add a motor to yak? [Re: Bass Art] #12133011 03/09/17 05:00 PM
F
Fisherman13 Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
F
Originally Posted By: Bass Art
The paperwork is probably going to go away soon. TPWD is going to eliminate the registration requirement for kayaks with motors, probably this year.

Is this for real? This would be really good news. Where can I find out more info.

Re: What do I need to add a motor to yak? [Re: Bass Art] #12133848 03/10/17 12:57 AM
Shaun Russell Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity

I have a Commander 140 with a rudder kit. I mounted my Motorguide TM on the stern, made a steering bracket that utilized the rudder cables, and use a rope tied to an eyebolt on the TM shaft for tilting the motor up. I have 35 and 105 amp-hour batteries, and I've used both. I'm currently looking for a Dura Amp or Maximizer motor to install on my kayak.

Boy I hope this is true. I've kicked around the idea for years.

And he saith unto them, Follow me, and I will make you fishers of men.
Matthew 4:19
Re: What do I need to add a motor to yak? [Re: tonyguitarguy] #12133983 03/10/17 02:09 AM
B
Bass Art Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
B
I have read a couple of news reports that state that TPWD is considering dropping the requirement for kayaks and canoes.

But if you want a motor on your kayak, registration shouldn't stop you. It's pretty easy to get, and only costs about $20 per year.

Artie
Re: What do I need to add a motor to yak? [Re: tonyguitarguy] #12134933 03/10/17 05:29 PM
I
IslandJim Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
I
Texas Senator Brian Birdwell is working on a bill to exempt trolling-motor powered small craft from title & registration requirements. It's not likely it will happen very soon. The registration isn't too bad: $32 fot two years. But, having to go thru the title issuance, inspection, and hull number hassle isn't cheap. Getting my 58 year-old antique aluminum skiff titled, inspected and registered for two years was $84! Plus having to put ugly numbers on the sides (about $20). At least, being an antique, it doesn't have to display the very ugly registration stickers! Most TPWD Game Wardens do not know about that exemption. I pull out my stickers and tell them to read the fine print on the back. Next time I'm gonna bet with them, and bargain for a Get Out of Jail Free Card if I'm right!

Because of the title/registration hassle and cost, I don't use my trolling motor on my yak.

IslandJim

I'm an Eighth Day Adventist. On the Eighth Day, God went fishing!
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide