Page 1 of 2 1 2
Slip cork time!?! #12126055 03/06/17 10:10 AM
H
HumanSeine Offline OP
Extreme Angler
OP Offline
Extreme Angler
H
I have not been catfishing in over a week so I am guessing from the bite on my last trip that the fish may be in slip corking time. I struggle somewhat with my slipcork fishing and miss loads of fish while using the technique. I think my problem is that I am an over achiever in seeing the bite quickly and setting the hook too quickly. Don't get me wrong I do catch fish during this time and love to fish this way. I am considering using a softer tip rod on two of my rigs for slip corking this year to see if a rod change might help with my personal results? So last week when I was fishing I got bit at 30 and 20 feet deep with the twenty being more good. I did not get my usual number of bites at all so I did some math in my head and said the fish may be in transition between where and there. So my plan next trip is to try there first and work my way back to where. I realize this may sound confusing but I am sure this might sound familiar to regular catfish fishermen. It is just a plain thrill for me to watch the cork start moving when I am fishing with my Stubby cheese bait. Because Stubbys bait is amazing but it usually does not swim without a fish getting to it lol. Now I do own 10 medium heavy pro angler rods and they are in fact great. I plan to hit academy and pick me a couple of the clearance big yellow rods to do my slipcorking with. I realize that I could also use a different line for the same effect but I don't like to remove my braid for anything. Now when you catch a catfish at Fork it is a fact that he will find a log to wrap up with so the security with the braid is needed in my opinion. Heck I might even try some mono on one of my more soft rods to see if the adjustments help my results. Now since I was a bass fisherman for many years I am aware that small changes in equipment can yield big dividends in fish. So I would be curious in what most of you use for your slip cork fishing?

Last edited by HumanSeine; 03/06/17 10:51 AM.
Wet Rooster Jigs Fishing Super Store
Re: Slip cork time!?! [Re: HumanSeine] #12126093 03/06/17 12:05 PM
W
WillieRip Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
W
Slip cork time is coming.
[Linked Image]

Black Warrior Lures
Slip floats that get'em in the boat!
blackwarriorlures.com
Re: Slip cork time!?! [Re: HumanSeine] #12126148 03/06/17 12:51 PM
H
HumanSeine Offline OP
Extreme Angler
OP Offline
Extreme Angler
H
Ok willie nice slip bobber commercial. I did get from the video that they are using much lighter tackle than I. I am thinking going to a more flexible rod might be my answer. Now I do not see switching to 6 pound line because I fish in serious grass and logs at Lake Fork and also catch much larger catfish mainly than the ones in the video. Now if the small ones bite I catch them also. I always carry something to remove hooks. I have a mount in two spots in my boat with pliers for that purpose.

Last edited by HumanSeine; 03/06/17 01:01 PM.
Re: Slip cork time!?! [Re: HumanSeine] #12126177 03/06/17 01:03 PM
W
WillieRip Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
W
hehe! I don't even use rod and reel any more. I handline only now, but people still buy these from me.

Still with rod and reel I like a light rod like a 7wt fly rod blank made into a spinning rod, 9 wt at the most. At least in my waters these channels aren't much bigger the big bluegill I catch. With the channels in my waters, you just don't need much backbone in a rod.

To me channel catfish is a panfish. It's more like fishing for trout than you'd expect.

Black Warrior Lures
Slip floats that get'em in the boat!
blackwarriorlures.com
Re: Slip cork time!?! [Re: HumanSeine] #12126323 03/06/17 02:18 PM
B
Big Zee Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
B
thumb

Hebrews 11:1
Re: Slip cork time!?! [Re: HumanSeine] #12130590 03/08/17 10:34 AM
C
CoC Angler Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
C
Originally Posted By: HumanSeine
I have not been catfishing in over a week so I am guessing from the bite on my last trip that the fish may be in slip corking time. I struggle somewhat with my slipcork fishing and miss loads of fish while using the technique. I think my problem is that I am an over achiever in seeing the bite quickly and setting the hook too quickly. Don't get me wrong I do catch fish during this time and love to fish this way. I am considering using a softer tip rod on two of my rigs for slip corking this year to see if a rod change might help with my personal results? So last week when I was fishing I got bit at 30 and 20 feet deep with the twenty being more good. I did not get my usual number of bites at all so I did some math in my head and said the fish may be in transition between where and there. So my plan next trip is to try there first and work my way back to where. I realize this may sound confusing but I am sure this might sound familiar to regular catfish fishermen. It is just a plain thrill for me to watch the cork start moving when I am fishing with my Stubby cheese bait. Because Stubbys bait is amazing but it usually does not swim without a fish getting to it lol. Now I do own 10 medium heavy pro angler rods and they are in fact great. I plan to hit academy and pick me a couple of the clearance big yellow rods to do my slipcorking with. I realize that I could also use a different line for the same effect but I don't like to remove my braid for anything. Now when you catch a catfish at Fork it is a fact that he will find a log to wrap up with so the security with the braid is needed in my opinion. Heck I might even try some mono on one of my more soft rods to see if the adjustments help my results. Now since I was a bass fisherman for many years I am aware that small changes in equipment can yield big dividends in fish. So I would be curious in what most of you use for your slip cork fishing?

7ft medium-medium heavy spinning rod, a crankbait rod would be ideal. 8(if your brave lol)-14lb test mono or fluro (i'd avoid braid for any slipcork methods. An even better rod would be a salmon rod 8-9 1/2ft in length, like this one. http://www.basspro.com/Browning-Fishing-Six-Rivers-2Piece-Spinning-Rod/product/1406130906242/

SirHerbertC
Re: Slip cork time!?! [Re: HumanSeine] #12130793 03/08/17 01:29 PM
B
BrianTx01 Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
B
I think any medium fishing rod is good for channels. The key is to watch the float and not the rod tip.

Fighting Texas Aggie Class of 2001
Proud UNT Alumni
Re: Slip cork time!?! [Re: CoC Angler] #12131077 03/08/17 03:48 PM
S
scott01 Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
S
Originally Posted By: CoC Angler

7ft medium-medium heavy spinning rod, a crankbait rod would be ideal. 8(if your brave lol)-14lb test mono or fluro (i'd avoid braid for any slipcork methods. An even better rod would be a salmon rod 8-9 1/2ft in length, like this one. http://www.basspro.com/Browning-Fishing-Six-Rivers-2Piece-Spinning-Rod/product/1406130906242/

Curious as to why you would avoid braid for slip corks? For me personally, it works great. As I mentioned earlier the line floats so it's much easier to stay in contact with you cork vs mono which sinks. Of course, if the slip cork bite is on good, anything will work and you normally get bit almost immediately when the bait sinks and the cork sits up, lol. But, if the bite is slower mono sinks and creates more slack in the line that has to be taken up before setting the hook. I've even had the mono get hung around rocks when it sinks which creates more issues. If you're concerned about catfish seeing the line, you can always use a 6"-12" mono or fluoro leader. But really, 20 ln braid has the diameter of 6 lb mono so it's small and the lakes around here aren't so clear that line is an issue. Anyway, just interested in others opinions. Thx

Re: Slip cork time!?! [Re: HumanSeine] #12131435 03/08/17 07:01 PM
T
Toes-in-tha-water Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
T
I've never fished this way for catfish. How do you know when 'it's time'?

Re: Slip cork time!?! [Re: HumanSeine] #12131542 03/08/17 08:11 PM
S
scott01 Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
S
When the channel cats stack up in 1'-4' of water on rocks or windblown banks. smile For me, in the DFW area, it seems to always be around the first of May but water temp is the key, typically about 70 degrees and up so it could be a little sooner.

Re: Slip cork time!?! [Re: HumanSeine] #12131627 03/08/17 09:14 PM
C
Coreywms Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
C
I've been using the CJ's Bait slip corks. You can see them in action on their website. www.CJsBait.com

PM me if you need video production. Click Here For Video Tips On Fishing
Re: Slip cork time!?! [Re: HumanSeine] #12132520 03/09/17 12:28 PM
H
HumanSeine Offline OP
Extreme Angler
OP Offline
Extreme Angler
H
It is time to slipcork fish when the fish are shallow. This occurs thruout the year but in spring it is common. Now on windy days I have found slipcorking is a better way to catch fish. I have decided that I am going to order me some corks from Blackwarriorlures.com. Now I do respect willierip for having his own business making the corks and after checking his website learned that he has quit his job to pursue this. Now you got to be committed to do this and he must know he has a good product which I have no doubt that he does. I just really enjoy catching all kinds of fish slipcork fishing. It adds to the thrill for me to watch my cork.

Last edited by HumanSeine; 03/09/17 12:34 PM.
Re: Slip cork time!?! [Re: scott01] #12135981 03/11/17 09:53 AM
C
CoC Angler Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
C
Originally Posted By: scott01
Originally Posted By: CoC Angler

Curious as to why you would avoid braid for slip corks? For me personally, it works great. As I mentioned earlier the line floats so it's much easier to stay in contact with you cork vs mono which sinks. Of course, if the slip cork bite is on good, anything will work and you normally get bit almost immediately when the bait sinks and the cork sits up, lol. But, if the bite is slower mono sinks and creates more slack in the line that has to be taken up before setting the hook. I've even had the mono get hung around rocks when it sinks which creates more issues. If you're concerned about catfish seeing the line, you can always use a 6"-12" mono or fluoro leader. But really, 20 ln braid has the diameter of 6 lb mono so it's small and the lakes around here aren't so clear that line is an issue. Anyway, just interested in others opinions. Thx

I've had problems with getting the stopper to stay in place when using anything under 30lb braid. I always make sure to pull the knot tight when putting the stopper on, and it would work fine for the first 4 or 5 casts, but once the braid got good and wet i found the stopper would slip easily (too easily for my taste). IDK if its the slickness of the braid or what, but slip stoppers work better for me on mono or flurocarbon. I do love to use braid if im tight lining for channels with puchbait. in that instance all it takes is a small split shot to get you to your right depth and your set lol.

SirHerbertC
Re: Slip cork time!?! [Re: HumanSeine] #12135982 03/11/17 09:55 AM
C
CoC Angler Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
C
also, slip corking is not only for the shallow bite. I've had success on cedar creek and fork and hubbard fishing slip corks near bridge pilings and timber in 15-30ft of water keeping my bait suspended 1-3 ft off the bottom.

SirHerbertC
Re: Slip cork time!?! [Re: HumanSeine] #12136024 03/11/17 12:36 PM
H
HumanSeine Offline OP
Extreme Angler
OP Offline
Extreme Angler
H
Now you deep water cork fishermen are not supposed to let everyone know to fish that way. So someone let the cat out deep corking is a very good fishing technique. In early spring I fish with goldfish for catfish on deep water corks. Some big catfish bite the goldfish. Now an occasional green fish will bite goldfish also. I also get an occasional bite from a friendly gar or mud fish. I really enjoy my early goldfish time. Now CJ makes some very good corks for the deep water goldfish fishing. I really like his corks because you can cast them into the wind well. As most of you know the wind does blow at Lake Fork. Now I do fish prepared bait on the corks a bunch and it narrows the variety of fish that You catch. I am not a Cajun so I do not eat mud fish or gar but they are great fun to catch. I suggest some well working pliers for hook removal on the gar bites.

Last edited by HumanSeine; 03/11/17 12:39 PM.
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide