Enclosed Kayak Trailer - thoughts on how to ?? #12114590 02/27/17 06:35 PM
M
MtnDew Offline OP
Pro Angler
OP Offline
Pro Angler
M
Okay,

So I want a trailer for my cuda 14, but I have been thinking of how could I enclose it, for security and so I don't have to unload everything and put it in the car so it won't blow off.

I was thinking it would be great to have a roughly a 4' wide by 3' high by 15' long box to enclose it. Maybe if the front of the box was wedge or V shaped for less drag, but it will already be lower than the car so probably doesn't matter.

I am also thinking the top would have to open in two pieces and fold all the way over to hand down so I can easily access the kayak. And the back panel would have to be doors as well so I can still just slide the kayak out.

I am thinking I don't want to build this all out of wood, so probably need a frame welded up and then either cover it in wood or some type of metal sheeting, but I also don't want this to cost a fortune.

So :

Has anyone ever seen anything like this ?
or any thoughts on why this is a stupid idea, hence why nobody has done this before ?

Re: Enclosed Kayak Trailer - thoughts on how to ?? [Re: MtnDew] #12114715 02/27/17 07:45 PM
S
Searsay Offline
Angler
Angler
S
so... have you thought making it simpler and doing a framed tarp w/ tarp alarm integrated?

I've actually been thinking about this - Not for my kayak - but i also run a porta-bote (which has a lot of similarities just a bit larger than your normal kayak).

There are a few different designs and options for tarp alarms but the general premise is the same... tarp gets disturbed and an alarm triggers. You use removable ribbing to make it more aero-dynamic, (alarm)sensitive, and hide what is under it.

As for why someone hasn't done it (at least the hard cover option) - Any hard option will cost a fortune and have VERY explicit use. It will also complicate loading and un-loading the kayak.

If your dead set on making a hard cover you could probably take an extended utility trailer, weld some hinges and a frame onto it and then put metal over it. at that length unless you customize the trailer to only be as wide as the kayak it'll add a LOT of weight... but it would work.

Re: Enclosed Kayak Trailer - thoughts on how to ?? [Re: MtnDew] #12115295 02/28/17 01:15 AM
N
Neumie Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
N
I thought about converting my kayak trailer to something as you described, but decided it would weight too much and the base of my trailer would have to be modified too much to make it work.

"Water is life's matter and matrix, mother and medium. There is no life without water." -Albert Szent-Gyorgyi

"No man ever steps in the same river twice, for it's not the same river and he's not the same man." - Heraclitus
Re: Enclosed Kayak Trailer - thoughts on how to ?? [Re: MtnDew] #12115535 02/28/17 02:44 AM
C
CCTX Online Content
mapquest
Online Content
mapquest
C
Weight, expense, and air resistance pulling it would be the key issues.

If they really want something, they'll either just drive off in your vehicle or unhitch the trailer.

The best you can do is deter and slow them down. I prefer highly visible cumbersome deterrents.

I use:

The Club

Vehicle alarm

Dogbone style lock trailer hitch lock

Padlock on trailer tongue

6ft of thick chain (from Home Depot) and a heavy duty Masterlock that locks together vehicle hitch assembly to the trailer. I run the chain through the car hitch assembly, then around the tongue, through a big hole in the metal trailer neck. The masterlock fits snuggly around the neck of one of the triball hitches and locks both ends of the chain. Hope I never lose the key, it would be take forever to cut through that thick chain (too thick for a bolt cutter) and with the padlock snuggly around the neck of the triball, you couldn't cut the lock with bolt cutters.

Two thick (too thick for bolt cutters) Brinks cable locks running through scuppers and then around the metal trailer side rails.

[Linked Image]
Re: Enclosed Kayak Trailer - thoughts on how to ?? [Re: MtnDew] #12115994 02/28/17 02:14 PM
T
tincan86 Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
T
I thought about getting an old stock trailer, since I carry 5 kayaks at a time I wouldn't have to worry about anything getting stolen while I am in a store. I like the stock trailer idea because I wouldn't have to worry about putting anything wet in it and mold

Hope for the best,but prepare for the worst
Re: Enclosed Kayak Trailer - thoughts on how to ?? [Re: MtnDew] #12116126 02/28/17 03:09 PM
M
MtnDew Offline OP
Pro Angler
OP Offline
Pro Angler
M
Thanks for the posts guys,

I think I will still build this, probably just some basic angle iron and wood. I don't think it will add enough weight to make a huge difference in towing. I am leaning to a simple design, just a box with the back panel able to swing up and then just slide the kayak out. I will put some vents, to make sure things dry out, if i arrange them correctly the drive home should flow enough air thru to do the trick. I plant to only make it 3' high, so it will sit well below the roof line of my SUV , so I can still see out the back and it won't create to much extra drag.

I know nothing will stop a super determined thief, but not planning on it sitting out day and night. Just need the security when it is sitting in the parking lot at work, or while I run into the store etc. Plus it will keep the sun off the kayak. The enclosure should also mean I won't have to remove to much from the kayak, since nothing can blow out.

-rob

Re: Enclosed Kayak Trailer - thoughts on how to ?? [Re: MtnDew] #12116473 02/28/17 05:58 PM
N
Neumie Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
N
You'll need some way of strapping the kayak down still, it'll bounce around a lot on a trailer.

"Water is life's matter and matrix, mother and medium. There is no life without water." -Albert Szent-Gyorgyi

"No man ever steps in the same river twice, for it's not the same river and he's not the same man." - Heraclitus
Re: Enclosed Kayak Trailer - thoughts on how to ?? [Re: MtnDew] #12116782 02/28/17 08:46 PM
I
IslandJim Online Content
Pro Angler
Online Content
Pro Angler
I
MtnDew: A lot of people are building micro-lite camper trailers using foam board and either minimal wood framing or composite/epoxy sheathing. Search for DIY ultra-light teardrop trailers, and you'll find numerous examples with build pics and lots of things that worked well, and a few that didn't. That construction method would probably be a lot lighter than what you have planned. If you're only making a "shell" to hide what's inside, and it basically only has to support it's own weight and wind load, it could be very light, indeed.

Good luck! Post a pic when the project is done.

IslandJim

I'm an Eighth Day Adventist. On the Eighth Day, God went fishing!
Re: Enclosed Kayak Trailer - thoughts on how to ?? [Re: MtnDew] #12118805 03/01/17 07:34 PM
M
MtnDew Offline OP
Pro Angler
OP Offline
Pro Angler
M
Thanks IslandJim, that is some pretty interesting stuff.

I started dreaming of making a small camper trailer that could slide the kayak into from the back and wide enough for a thermarest and I could just crawl in and crash, but it would take me years to finish smile

check this out, :

get the kit from :
http://www.clcboats.com/shop/boats/development-projects/clc-teardrop-trailer.html

-rob

Re: Enclosed Kayak Trailer - thoughts on how to ?? [Re: MtnDew] #12119106 03/01/17 10:10 PM
T
txninja Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
T

Here's our "Goat Trailer" conversion. Yaks on the top and you can sleep/store stuff inside.

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide