Forum Stats
105885 Members
60 Forums
854435 Topics
12169361 Posts

Max Online: 36273 @ 01/23/13 02:34 PM
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#12117922 - 03/01/17 06:29 AM Southern Marine Surveying - Pre-owned Boat Surveys
Budward Offline
Angler

Everyone's heard the term BOAT - Bust Out Another Thousand, right? Well, I'm here to tell you it Doesn't have to be that way! When you hire a marine surveyor, you're essentially getting cheap insurance to protect you from purchasing a potential headache. Hire us to survey the boat before-hand, and we meticulously evaluate, appraise and go over the vessel with a 'fine toothed comb' to help you make a good decision and protect your investment.

www.southernmarinesurveying.com

Edited by Budward (03/09/17 08:13 AM)

#12117986 - 03/01/17 07:33 AM Re: BOAT - Bust Out Another Thousand [Re: Budward]
glenls Offline
TFF Team Angler

Loc: Granite Shoals Tx.
Free??

#12118060 - 03/01/17 08:08 AM Re: BOAT - Bust Out Another Thousand [Re: Budward]
steve hummert Offline
pawpaw

Loc: Grandview, TX.
PM sent

LIKE the TFF on Facebook - www.facebook.com/texasfishingforum

#12118548 - 03/01/17 11:29 AM Re: BOAT - Bust Out Another Thousand [Re: glenls]
Budward Offline
Angler

Originally Posted By: glenls
Free??

Sorry I should have put a price in there. I charge for my surveys/appraisals based on the length of the vessel, but I do a flat fee of 400$ for anything under 25ft.

#12118626 - 03/01/17 12:09 PM Re: BOAT - Bust Out Another Thousand [Re: Budward]
Kyle405 Offline
Outdoorsman

Loc: Mansfield, TX.
Seems like a good business concept. I'm not trying to be a smart @$$ but why should someone pay you $400 to look over a boat, when they could take their potential boat to a boat mechanic/shop for half that?

Edited by Kyle405 (03/01/17 12:09 PM)

#12118760 - 03/01/17 01:13 PM Re: BOAT - Bust Out Another Thousand [Re: Budward]
DAN-O Offline
Extreme Angler

Loc: MANSFIELD, TEXAS, USA
Take the cowling off and look for oil first. No oil? Good. Now do a compression check. Look online for the numbers that cylinders should be putting out. Those numbers are good? Next thing is to do a transom inspection. If you can, pull the motor and check it for wet/rotten wood. If wood is wet, you can factor in another $2,200 for a transom replacement. You can do it for that in OKC...don't pay the $4,000 and up most in Texas want. Last thing is checking for stress fractures or fiberglass exposure. Small spots can be sealed yourself with epoxy. Large spots will need fiberglass work. Take it off the trailer and test drive it. Check boards while boat is the water to see if they will need replacement. Take the bearing buddy covers off and look at the grease. Watery grease...be weary knowing that there could be some bearing/hub issues. If you can get all of that done for $400...then I would do it for state of mind...especially if you are not mechanically inclined. Compression check, transom condition/leaks, and stress fractures. Those are the big three.

Compression test takes maybe 15 minutes. Pulling an outboard to check the transom and putting it back on can take several hours. But those few hours could save you thousands.

#12118812 - 03/01/17 01:37 PM Re: BOAT - Bust Out Another Thousand [Re: Budward]
Huckleberry Offline
TFF Guru

Loc: Lake Gaston, VA
There are people who would pay him $400 for a boat inspection. How far will you drive to go look at a boat? I can only imagine the horror stories though. "That boat was a piece of [censored], you don't want it .... that'll be $400 please".

#12118829 - 03/01/17 01:42 PM Re: BOAT - Bust Out Another Thousand [Re: Budward]
Budward Offline
Angler

With my service you get a professional 20-40 page report detailing EVERYTHING about your boat. I'm a professional mariner with 10+ years experience working on commercial and private vessels offshore. I am also a trained and licensed surveyor. Ever had a boat with a rotten stringer? IT sucks. And, it's not cheap to fix. I can put a moisture meter on the transom, stringers, and anywhere I suspect moisture to quickly tell if it's rotten or not. How about through hull fittings? Most people don't even know what a through hull fitting is. 90% of boat sinkings are due to faulty/leaking through hull fittings. What about the bilge pump and float switch? What's going to happen when you start taking on water only to find out your bilge pump doesn't work? These are just a few examples of things that I look at when I survey a vessel. Some people already know what to look for, others, not so much. That's where I come in smile

Edited by Budward (03/01/17 01:42 PM)

#12118842 - 03/01/17 01:47 PM Re: BOAT - Bust Out Another Thousand [Re: Kyle405]
Budward Offline
Angler

Originally Posted By: Kyle405
Seems like a good business concept. I'm not trying to be a smart @$$ but why should someone pay you $400 to look over a boat, when they could take their potential boat to a boat mechanic/shop for half that?

Well, actually, you would still have to bring it to a mechanic if you wanted it compression tested. A mechanic isn't going to go through the boat in the detail that I do, and certainly won't write you a 30 page report detailing all the findings that I will. For example, the last survey I did was a 21' Mako. I found a waterline in the bilge compartment and storage areas leading me to believe the boat had taken on water at some point in it's life and or sunk. I later confirmed with the previous owner the boat had taken on rain water and sat in a slip, half sunk for a good period of time. Some people don't know what a water line looks like or where to look for one. By hiring me, the buyer was able to make an informed purchase and barter a better deal for the boat.

Another example. I surveyed a bass boat and found de-lamination around the bilge drain, did a little more inspecting and found the entire transom was water logged due to the faulty thru hull bilge drain plug, because someone never took the time to re-seal it after 25 years. The potential buyer avoided a huge mistake, and wound up passing on the boat. Bet he was glad he spent that 400$ on me, rather than 2-4k for a new transom on a boat that was only worth about 5k anyhow.

I need to make it clear though, I do not compression test motors and I do not take anything apart. I Do sea-trial the vessel and run the motor, and do everything to check the motor that I can do, short of taking anything apart.

Edited by Budward (03/01/17 11:02 PM)

#12118925 - 03/01/17 02:18 PM Re: BOAT - Bust Out Another Thousand [Re: DAN-O]
Fishinfellow Offline
Extreme Angler

Loc: North Richland Hills, TX
Originally Posted By: DAN-O
If you can get all of that done for $400...then I would do it for state of mind...especially if you are not mechanically inclined.

Compression test takes maybe 15 minutes. Pulling an outboard to check the transom and putting it back on can take several hours. But those few hours could save you thousands.

That's a good point. If this is included $400 isn't too bad at all.

Kris Winhold

#12119685 - 03/01/17 10:49 PM Re: BOAT - Bust Out Another Thousand [Re: Fishinfellow]
Budward Offline
Angler

Originally Posted By: Fishinfellow
Originally Posted By: DAN-O
If you can get all of that done for $400...then I would do it for state of mind...especially if you are not mechanically inclined.

That's a good point. If this is included $400 isn't too bad at all.

You don't need to pull the motor to test the transom. I percussion test the entire hull (including transom) to check for de-lamination, then I use the moisture meter if i suspect severe damage or excess moisture in the hull, transom, stringers, around the thru-hull fittings, cleats, basically anywhere water could possibly come in the bilge/hull. You can have a transom that is water-logged but not rotten, yet. Only way to tell if it's water logged is by percussion testing it or putting the moisture meter on it, or you can drill a hole and examine the coring.

Anyway, If it's worth it to you, give me a holler. I promise my quality of work speaks for itself.

#12119687 - 03/01/17 10:53 PM Re: BOAT - Bust Out Another Thousand [Re: Huckleberry]
Budward Offline
Angler

Originally Posted By: Huckleberry
There are people who would pay him $400 for a boat inspection. How far will you drive to go look at a boat? I can only imagine the horror stories though. "That boat was a piece of [censored], you don't want it .... that'll be $400 please".

Well I sure wouldn't be in business long if I were as un-ethical as that. I'm professional, and I'm un-biased. I'll drive as far as Houston or Arkansas if the money is right.

I don't tell anyone the boat is a piece of [censored]. I leave that up to you. I simply survey the boat and write a report for you to make that decision. Furthermore, my prices are flexible, I'm a pretty reasonable guy, I'll work with you.

And if any of you would like to see a sample of one of my surveys send me a pm and I'll send one to you.

Edited by Budward (03/01/17 10:55 PM)

#12119886 - 03/02/17 06:36 AM Re: BOAT - Bust Out Another Thousand [Re: Budward]
Huckleberry Offline
TFF Guru

Loc: Lake Gaston, VA
Originally Posted By: Budward
Originally Posted By: Huckleberry

Well I sure wouldn't be in business long if I were as un-ethical as that. I'm professional, and I'm un-biased. I'll drive as far as Houston or Arkansas if the money is right.

I don't tell anyone the boat is a piece of [censored]. I leave that up to you. I simply survey the boat and write a report for you to make that decision. Furthermore, my prices are flexible, I'm a pretty reasonable guy, I'll work with you.

And if any of you would like to see a sample of one of my surveys send me a pm and I'll send one to you.

thumb

#12119894 - 03/02/17 06:43 AM Re: BOAT - Bust Out Another Thousand [Re: Budward]
Catfish-hunter Offline
Extreme Angler

Loc: Medina lake
I tried to get my local boat shops to look at a boat before I bought. Said they can get to it in 2-3weeks. mad

#12119910 - 03/02/17 06:57 AM Re: BOAT - Bust Out Another Thousand [Re: Catfish-hunter]
crapicat Offline
TFF Celebrity

Loc: Grandview, TX
Originally Posted By: Catfish-hunter
I tried to get my local boat shops to look at a boat before I bought. Said they can get to it in 2-3weeks. mad

Yep, been there done that! Tell you one thing, I know quite a lot about buying used boats...but before I decide to drop more than 20k on a new boat...this guy is getting a call from me...he has inspection tools and knowledge that I don't want to purchase or keep up with for basically cheap money. Of course I would wait till I found a boat I really wanted, then send him in to do his job...go from there...I purchased a wreck once about twenty years ago...his service could have saved my arse...wish I had known someone like him then!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

© 1998-2017 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide