Forums59
Topics1,037,804
Posts13,934,747
Members144,150
Most Online39,925
Dec 30th, 2023
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: Can 2 fish over slot be retained in a team tournament? [Re: ShamrockSmith] #12102829 02/20/17 03:39 PM
Sinkey Offline
Tidy Scoop
Tidy Scoop
Yes. Each individual in the boat is legally able to catch 1 over each in their limit. But it has to be caught by each angler.

Now......there are some tournaments which will only allow you to weigh 1 over in. But most will let you weigh 2 in your limit.

Moritz Chevrolet - 9101 Camp Bowie W Blvd, Fort Worth, TX - Monte Coon (817) 696-2003
Re: Can 2 fish over slot be retained in a team tournament? [Re: sprigsss] #12102852 02/20/17 03:51 PM
J
Jeezy Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
J
Originally Posted By: sprigsss
Ive seen a lot of limits with more than two unders weighed in where limit is 2 unders per person.

Ive yet to hear anyone question as to whether each fisherman each caught two.

Unless tournament rules state 1 over, why would overs be treated any differently.

I think maybe he was referring to a lake like Jacksonville where you are only allowed 2 fish under 18". Maybe.

โ€œThe more you know about Donald Trump, the less likely you are to vote for him. The more you know about his business enterprises, the less successful he looks. The more you know about his political giving, the less Republican he looks.โ€ - Lindsey Graham, 2016
Re: Can 2 fish over slot be retained in a team tournament? [Re: ShamrockSmith] #12102865 02/20/17 03:58 PM
miceman16 Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
Is there a special exception for that?

Re: Can 2 fish over slot be retained in a team tournament? [Re: Jeezy] #12102978 02/20/17 04:47 PM
S
sprigsss Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
S
Originally Posted By: CoachCBA
Ive seen a lot of limits with more than two unders weighed in where limit is 2 unders per person.

Unless tournament rules state 1 over, why would overs be treated any differently.

I think maybe he was referring to a lake like Jacksonville where you are only allowed 2 fish under 18". Maybe.

That's the lakes I'm referring to as well. I've seen a number of teams weigh in 4 unders and have 1 person state that their partner caught all the fish that day. In team tournaments I've never heard of anyone being asked if each person caught 2 unders, or if 1 person caught more than 2 unders. If you are lucky enough to cull your unders (which can happen all day on Alan Henry), can anyone honestly say after several culls who each fish in that livewell?

If it doesn't matter with unders, why does it matter with overs?

Last edited by sprigsss; 02/20/17 04:47 PM.
Re: Can 2 fish over slot be retained in a team tournament? [Re: sprigsss] #12103003 02/20/17 04:55 PM
J
Jeezy Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
J

That's the lakes I'm referring to as well. I've seen a number of teams weigh in 4 unders and have 1 person state that their partner caught all the fish that day. In team tournaments I've never heard of anyone being asked if each person caught 2 unders, or if 1 person caught more than 2 unders. If you are lucky enough to cull your unders (which can happen all day on Alan Henry), can anyone honestly say after several culls who each fish in that livewell?

If it doesn't matter with unders, why does it matter with overs?

Good point. I'll admit I don't really pay attention to it.

โ€œThe more you know about Donald Trump, the less likely you are to vote for him. The more you know about his business enterprises, the less successful he looks. The more you know about his political giving, the less Republican he looks.โ€ - Lindsey Graham, 2016
Re: Can 2 fish over slot be retained in a team tournament? [Re: ShamrockSmith] #12103163 02/20/17 06:46 PM
TBassYates Online Content
TFF Celebrity
Online Content
TFF Celebrity
I remember the old Axton night tournaments back in the day before the slot changed and it was common to catch over the slot fish. We had two weigh ins and were allowed to bring in 2 over the slot fish at each weigh in to go with 3 more under the slot fish. There were many times me and my partner would bring in 2 overs for each weigh in but I don't remember anyone ever asking who caught what. Then again I remember 4 over the slot fish by themselves not even getting you in the money with the likes of Dreabon Joiner and others winning all the time with the limits and fish they brought in.

[Linked Image]
Re: Can 2 fish over slot be retained in a team tournament? [Re: sprigsss] #12103279 02/20/17 07:41 PM
B
balata9999 Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
B

I question it. In fact I have had this discussion over email with two folks from bud light and refuse to fish them anymore because of the way they handle this rule at Ivie and Alan Henry. Its against state law if each person doesn't contribute two of the fish weighed in my opinion and without a polygraph how will you know.

Re: Can 2 fish over slot be retained in a team tournament? [Re: balata9999] #12103308 02/20/17 07:57 PM
S
sprigsss Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
S
Originally Posted By: balata9999

I question it. In fact I have had this discussion over email with two folks from bud light and refuse to fish them anymore because of the way they handle this rule at Ivie and Alan Henry. Its against state law if each person doesn't contribute two of the fish weighed in my opinion and without a polygraph how will you know.

So if you and your partner each catch multiple unders, cull several times, and must weigh in 4 unders, are you telling me you are going to be 100% certain at the end of the day that you caught 2 of the unders weighed in and your partner caught the other 2 unders weighed in? If your partner is sticking 2.5 lb unders and you are catching 1.5 lb unders, I'm betting you show up to the weigh in with 4 unders that weigh 10 lbs.

I have been checked several times with more than two unders in my livewell on Alan Henry, and I've never been asked by the game warden how many of them I caught.

Re: Can 2 fish over slot be retained in a team tournament? [Re: sprigsss] #12103317 02/20/17 08:03 PM
J
Jeezy Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
J

So if you and your partner each catch multiple unders, cull several times, and must weigh in 4 unders, are you telling me you are going to be 100% certain at the end of the day that you caught 2 of the unders weighed in and your partner caught the other 2 unders weighed in? If your partner is sticking 2.5 lb unders and you are catching 1.5 lb unders, I'm betting you show up to the weigh in with 4 unders that weigh 10 lbs.

I have been checked several times with more than two unders in my livewell on Alan Henry, and I've never been asked by the game warden how many of them I caught.

You could keep them separate in the livewells, right?

Re: Can 2 fish over slot be retained in a team tournament? [Re: Jeezy] #12103339 02/20/17 08:17 PM
S
sprigsss Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
S

You could keep them separate in the livewells, right?

Sure you can. I'm just curious if ANYONE is actually doing this. Not saying their isn't a way. Only saying I know of NO ONE that is doing this. It is an interesting question for sure. I completely understand the argument that each angler much be responsible for 2 fish each, just have never seen anyone question it before.

Last edited by sprigsss; 02/20/17 08:20 PM.
Re: Can 2 fish over slot be retained in a team tournament? [Re: sprigsss] #12103360 02/20/17 08:31 PM
B
balata9999 Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
B
[quote=sprigsss]Ive seen a lot of limits with more than two unders weighed in where limit is 2 unders per person.

I question it. In fact I have had this discussion over email with two folks from bud light and refuse to fish them anymore because of the way they handle this rule at Ivie and Alan Henry. Its against state law if each person doesn't contribute two of the fish weighed in my opinion and without a polygraph how will you know. [/quote

]

Easy, approach it like an individual tourney keeping each partners fish on one side of the livewell, (overs don't matter in this approach) cull your own fish and at the weigh in combine. Your above situation is my problem with it. Thats why I don't fish them anymore. Its my opinion maybe but I believe thats against the state regulations. In your example if you had a family of four all on the boat together that had licenses but only the dad was fishing and he caught eight unders and kept them all - its the same thing and I think its wrong.

Last edited by balata9999; 02/20/17 08:34 PM.
Re: Can 2 fish over slot be retained in a team tournament? [Re: balata9999] #12104194 02/21/17 04:52 AM
D
David Burton Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
D
In your example if you had a family of four all on the boat together that had licenses but only the dad was fishing and he caught eight unders and kept them all - its the same thing and I think its wrong.

But that is the law... It is 'per person' yes, but based on all those fishing or eligible. How do you think guides handle it when they have a boat full for striper fishing?

David Burton
2015 Skeeter FX 21 +Ultrex +Helix 12 (x3) +Mega360 +MegaLive
Re: Can 2 fish over slot be retained in a team tournament? [Re: David Burton] #12104232 02/21/17 05:27 AM
B
balata9999 Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
B
Originally Posted By: David Burton
In your example if you had a family of four all on the boat together that had licenses but only the dad was fishing and he caught eight unders and kept them all - its the same thing and I think its wrong.

But that is the law... It is 'per person' yes, but based on all those fishing or eligible. How do you think guides handle it when they have a boat full for striper fishing?

This might shed some light: http://www.lsonews.com/john-keith-61/
Its not the law - the law is per person - maybe its hard to enforce because proving that in a court could be extremly difficult for the state especially since polygraphs aren't accepable in court, but its still against the law. I couldn't pass a poly if I did it in a tournament - and don't care to fish against those who have no problem with it.

Page 2 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide