Page 1 of 2 1 2
Rigging new crappie boat Question #12100290 02/18/17 02:05 PM
H
HV Lurenut Offline OP
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
H
I'm about to take the plunge and buy my first ever "new" boat. I have owned four boats prior to this, but as to equipment, I always just dealt with what they came with and up graded depth finders as needed. I have decided to purchase an 18' deep V aluminum boat. Need to select a depth finder and trolling motor. I intend to go with a SI unit and a GPS based Trolling motor. Is it better to get it rigged and installed by the factory/ dealer, or is it a better option to get the boat with neither and have an expert locally install compatible systems that communicate and work together? Electronics are a week spot for me. The last stereo I sought out was an eight track. I have read about Slade over on lake fork that can teach you how to tune your equipment, but I'm sure that its a heck of a lot easier to make the "right" systems communicate. I am intending to have this boat for many years. I am not just wanting to get what the factory is pushing. Would be very interested to here about good equipment combinations, weather to have done from factory or after market, and local experts in after market if this is the best option.

Thanks,

Preserving Texas fishing heritage one lure at a time.
Re: Rigging new crappie boat Question [Re: HV Lurenut] #12100419 02/18/17 04:05 PM
C
crapicat Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
C
I have never been a fan of prepackaged electronics...I would talk to David at shutup and fish. He will help you determine what you need, give you an installed price; then you can see what the dealer will install those electronics for...if it was me, would buy the boat then get the hang ones that I wanted...not the cheap stuff their pushing at too high of a price...of course, if you intend to finance the full purchase, you will have to go thru the dealer...hope this helps.

Re: Rigging new crappie boat Question [Re: HV Lurenut] #12100438 02/18/17 04:20 PM
Gamblinman Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
I agree. Speak with David @ Shut Up and Fish about what to order and have him install.

Re: Rigging new crappie boat Question [Re: HV Lurenut] #12100494 02/18/17 05:33 PM
C
C Worthy Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
C
Agree with the comments above about David can save you some heartaches. I have the Lowe 175 Fm (which I love) and I rigged it myself (Pain in the U KNOW WHAT) but it is perfect. Here is what I suggest. FIRST decide what brand electronics that YOU like. That will probably be the hardest decision you make. Then match up everything that works together. What I have and really like it, is I have a HDS12 at the console and a HDS 9 at the bow. Both are networked together (yellow cable). For a trolling motor, I went with the Motorguide Xi5 because that is what pairs with Lowrance. I installed the NEMA 2000 backbone and connected both HDS units and the Xi5 together on the backbone so I could use the waypoint autopilot feature on my HDS units. This system is unbelievable and works great. Now you need to decide what is YOUR dream setup. If it is Hummingbird then you should probably go with Minn Kota. Either way, David is an outstanding resource to use. I hope you have many excellent days on the water and congrats on the new boat.
CW

Life is one big playground. Be sure to ride all the rides before it closes.
Re: Rigging new crappie boat Question [Re: C Worthy] #12100568 02/18/17 07:13 PM
OkieBob Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
Originally Posted By: C Worthy
Agree with the comments above about David can save you some heartaches. I have the Lowe 175 Fm (which I love) and I rigged it myself (Pain in the U KNOW WHAT) but it is perfect. Here is what I suggest. FIRST decide what brand electronics that YOU like. That will probably be the hardest decision you make. Then match up everything that works together. What I have and really like it, is I have a HDS12 at the console and a HDS 9 at the bow. Both are networked together (yellow cable). For a trolling motor, I went with the Motorguide Xi5 because that is what pairs with Lowrance. I installed the NEMA 2000 backbone and connected both HDS units and the Xi5 together on the backbone so I could use the waypoint autopilot feature on my HDS units. This system is unbelievable and works great. Now you need to decide what is YOUR dream setup. If it is Hummingbird then you should probably go with Minn Kota. Either way, David is an outstanding resource to use. I hope you have many excellent days on the water and congrats on the new boat.
CW

I totally agree about going with David. I have the same setup as referenced above. But, before going with Lowrance, I'd take a long hard look at Garmin especially now that they have the Panoptix feature that no one else in the business has yet. I don't have it but, everything I've heard about from those that do will likely cause me to write that check and make the switch!

I'M SOONER BORN, SOONER BRED AND WHEN I DIE I'LL BE SOONER DEAD!
Chickasaw proud.
[Linked Image]CallMatthew@972-754-1698 http://jigumjigs.com

MEMBER WALLY MARSHALL'S MR CRAPPIE PROSTAFF
MEMBER JIGUM JIGS PROSTAFF
Re: Rigging new crappie boat Question [Re: Gamblinman] #12100775 02/18/17 11:59 PM
SLABXPRESS Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
Originally Posted By: Gamblinman
I agree. Speak with David @ Shut Up and Fish about what to order and have him install.

THIS

Re: Rigging new crappie boat Question [Re: HV Lurenut] #12100785 02/19/17 12:14 AM
H
HV Lurenut Offline OP
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
H
Thanks guys for all the input. Spent the day deciding on a Lund 1775 crossover. My gut was to do the trolling motor and electronics separately. Thank you all for confirming that thought process. If somebody has David's contact info I would appreciate it. Sounds like he is exactly who I am looking for.
Many thanks to you all.

Preserving Texas fishing heritage one lure at a time.
Re: Rigging new crappie boat Question [Re: HV Lurenut] #12100877 02/19/17 01:35 AM
J
JIM SR. Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
J
hes in the classified,..

Re: Rigging new crappie boat Question [Re: HV Lurenut] #12101814 02/19/17 09:51 PM
K
Ken Gaby Online Content
TFF Team Angler
Online Content
TFF Team Angler
K
Here's David's info

It's all coming together and we have you covered @ Shut-Up-And-Fish LLC
for all your Humminbird, Minn Kota & Motorguide needs.
We install & educate as well!!! 972 737 8161

David has his boat rigged with Lowrance and Humminbird. If you definitely decide to go with David, he can show you the units in operation on his boat. Can't show you both brands at the same time, but can switch out in about 20 minutes. His installs are very professional and he will show you how to operate and tune the electronics you purchase from him.

A life without God is like an unsharpened pencil, it has no point. Billy Graham
www.thermoclinelures.com "Helping YOU catch MORE & LARGER fish!"
http://www.crazyanglertackle.com Premium crappie baits and jig tying accessories
http://www.proanglertackle.com Best crappie and catfish rods/reels
http://www.beereadys.com World's Best Rod Holders
Re: Rigging new crappie boat Question [Re: crapicat] #12102181 02/20/17 02:06 AM
P
PaPa@fork Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
P
Originally Posted By: crapicat
I have never been a fan of prepackaged electronics...I would talk to David at shutup and fish. He will help you determine what you need, give you an installed price; then you can see what the dealer will install those electronics for...if it was me, would buy the boat then get the hang ones that I wanted...not the cheap stuff their pushing at too high of a price...of course, if you intend to finance the full purchase, you will have to go thru the dealer...hope this helps.

+1

If it was easy, everyone would do it
Re: Rigging new crappie boat Question [Re: HV Lurenut] #12102198 02/20/17 02:19 AM
C
crapicat Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
C
Originally Posted By: HV Lurenut
Thanks guys for all the input. Spent the day deciding on a Lund 1775 crossover. My gut was to do the trolling motor and electronics separately. Thank you all for confirming that thought process. If somebody has David's contact info I would appreciate it. Sounds like he is exactly who I am looking for.
Many thanks to you all.

I will add that good electronics, properly tuned, that you can effectively operate, will open up your underwater world better than any single thing that you can do...and makes learning any lake as simple as possible.

Re: Rigging new crappie boat Question [Re: HV Lurenut] #12102272 02/20/17 03:06 AM
S
shill Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
S
David is the man for the job

shill
Re: Rigging new crappie boat Question [Re: HV Lurenut] #12102628 02/20/17 01:56 PM
BlueNitro Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
Another recommendation for David @ SUAF. Great guy and he sells some great products (my favorite is the LiftSaver Trolling Motor Mount).

LiftSaver Trolling Motor Mounting Bracket - Patent Pending and LiftSaver Transducer Pole Mount
www.liftsavertmmount.com
[Linked Image][Linked Image]
Works with MG Xi5, Xi3 and MK Terrova, Ulterra, PD V2 and Riptides as well.

Re: Rigging new crappie boat Question [Re: HV Lurenut] #12103330 02/20/17 08:12 PM
B-Deuces Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
Get an Ultrex. That's all I have to say about that. It will change everything

Gensis 27:3 "Go now, take your weapons, your quiver, and your bow, go out into the field and hunt game for me."

Bryley Doucet
Re: Rigging new crappie boat Question [Re: HV Lurenut] #12103691 02/20/17 11:41 PM
O
Olhipi Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
O
If you ever. Plan too salt water fish with it go with a Salt water approved model. I run the Minn Kota Riptide 80 I pilot , love it . For crappie fishing you'll need to be able to run ( .2 ) mph some Tr motors won't run that slow for Spider rigging.

Lake Dunlap, State Record Holder "Warmouth Perch". If you Ain't Fishing You Ain't Living....
Some Say I Have a "Crappie Attitude" !!!!
They'd Be Right...... 2014 TC 18 Crestliner 90 Merc 4-stroke
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide