Page 1 of 2 1 2
Whites spawning on main lake? #12086035 02/09/17 10:19 PM
D
Dadsthatlove2fish Offline OP
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
D
Are you finding more and more that whites have adapted and started to spawn on shallow humps and shallow sandy bottom banks along the main lake as opposed to going up the river system on that lake. I talked to several people that said that since lakes fluctuate so much over the years through droughts that whites have adapted to spawn on main lake flats, shallow sandy banks, and humps. Anyone noticing anything like this?

God said to them, Be fruitful and multiply and fill the earth and subdue it and have dominion over the fish of the sea and over the birds of the heavens and over every living thing that moves on the earth. Genesis 1:28
Re: Whites spawning on main lake? [Re: Dadsthatlove2fish] #12086042 02/09/17 10:25 PM
K
KidKrappie Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
K
I feel that whites would rather spawn in the creek if the opportunity presents itself (better and more consistent current). Of course on years with low water the fish have to adapt to spawning on the mainlake. Even with normal water levels some fish spawn in both places with a good amount going up the creeks.

Re: Whites spawning on main lake? [Re: Dadsthatlove2fish] #12086202 02/10/17 12:39 AM
J
jbobo Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
J
^^^^^ agree with him.

22 ft. Wellcraft Deep V CC
817-220-2312
www.bobosthumper.com
Re: Whites spawning on main lake? [Re: Dadsthatlove2fish] #12086249 02/10/17 01:08 AM
F
fmclee Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
F
Sure have caught a bunch lately in the main lake .......

Re: Whites spawning on main lake? [Re: Dadsthatlove2fish] #12086361 02/10/17 01:58 AM
J
jbobo Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
J
So have I. It isn't time yet for the females to go north.

22 ft. Wellcraft Deep V CC
817-220-2312
www.bobosthumper.com
Re: Whites spawning on main lake? [Re: Dadsthatlove2fish] #12086534 02/10/17 03:07 AM
M
ML56 Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
M
On Somerville, I think a smaller percentage spawn in the main body of lake, the main lake spawn is for the most part unsuccessful(I think).The reason I believe this is, during the drought years a few years back, we had 4 out of 5 years that the lake was too low for the fish to get into the creeks to spawn. During those years it was nearly impossible to catch an undersized whitebass. If the spawns in the lake are successful we should have had a representative class of small fish for each year. The recent 2 years of flooding has produced an abundance of small fish representing each year class. The flooding has ruined many of our parks and they are still closed, as much as I dislike this, it is good for the fish as it has given them a chance to recover a bit. I'm still seeing lots of fish in main lake still, but the boys running the creeks are picking up a few also, so mixed bag, and mother nature will fix this herself.

See Me for a SPLASHER PROP Mike @ 979 two ,five, one, 62, thirty five or web page https://my-site-103001.square.site
Re: Whites spawning on main lake? [Re: Dadsthatlove2fish] #12086607 02/10/17 03:33 AM
H
hook-line&sinker Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
H
ML56 is spot on at Lake Somerville.. when the lake is up and the Yegua is running full at the right time of the year we have good reproduction and not so good production on dry years. But certain areas of the lake hold spawning whitebass every spring year after year regardless of flow into the lake from the Yegua.

I remember reading somewhere that male whitebass will attempt to spawn in their first year of life but females take two full years to reach maturity. That would explain why the females are so much bigger.. and they are a relatively short lived fish at about 4 years which explains why several drought years in a row really knocks the population down.

Like most everything on the planet fish need to reproduce and whitebass will attempt to do so in whatever conditions are presented to them. That being said, whitebass will spawn where there is moving water and the success rate goes up or down with the volume and movement of the water.

One thing is for sure.. the whitebass don't stay in the creek after the spawn is done unless they get trapped by fast falling lake levels..

My TPWD Inland Fisheries friend tells me that surveys they do (gill net and creel) show that many whitebass never leave the lake but I do not know if anyone has done a study to determine the reproductive success rate of whitebass in creek-river verses open lakes.

>)));> Wishin' I was Fishin' <;(((<

“Personnel is the most vital and important aspect of any industry.
If you’re just going to grind them up, it’s not going to end well for anybody.”
SCOTT REINARDY

Re: Whites spawning on main lake? [Re: Dadsthatlove2fish] #12087649 02/10/17 08:18 PM
W
wrknonit Offline
Angler
Angler
W
You hit it right on the head when you mentioned the droughts. The average life span of a white bass is only 5 to 7 years, and the drought lasted that long in some places. so what you have is almost an entire generation of these fish who never ran up river, and spawned in the lake. They will go back to spawning in the creeks and rivers but it may take a while for some places to really get back to their glory days. Medina lake is a prime example. The population is down, and those fish have never been up river. It may be several years before a good run is made. I hope not. Just my humble opinion based on observation.
texas

Last edited by wrknonit; 02/10/17 08:25 PM. Reason: erroneous information.
Re: Whites spawning on main lake? [Re: Dadsthatlove2fish] #12088005 02/11/17 12:28 AM
K
Ken Gaby Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
K
Back in the late 60s, I was talking with one of the old timers who fished 2-3 times a week about wanting to hit the river for some whites. He said you don't need to go up the river to catch whites spawning, there's plenty of them that spawn in the lake on the sandy points. I thought, he has no idea what he's talking about.
A few years later I witnessed exactly what he was talking about. I was seeing whites surface on a point but they weren't chasing shad. There would be a large female surface like a porpoise with 2-3 males touching the female. She was laying eggs and the males were squirting milt. Saw this go on for an hour one morning in early March. The lake wasn't low that year, no drought. It happens every year.

A life without God is like an unsharpened pencil, it has no point. Billy Graham
www.thermoclinelures.com "Helping YOU catch MORE & LARGER fish!"
http://www.crazyanglertackle.com Premium crappie baits and jig tying accessories
http://www.proanglertackle.com Best crappie and catfish rods/reels
http://www.beereadys.com World's Best Rod Holders
Re: Whites spawning on main lake? [Re: Dadsthatlove2fish] #12088500 02/11/17 01:35 PM
S
slim1 Online Content
Extreme Angler
Online Content
Extreme Angler
S
Years ago I went to the park on the lake side of the dam at Lavon. It was open then and you could fish from the bank. I had 3 dozen minnows and 3 poles. I walked out on a point, that had the wind blowing in on it, baited up and as soon as they hit the water I was catching Sandies. Couldn't fish but with one pole. Within an hour I had a limit. I came back the next two days and did the same. Filled my freezer. Went back there a few years later on a windy spring day and saw a chain link fence blocking to way. I figured those fish didn't want to swim all the way to a creek so they chose a nice windy point by the dam. Since then I've fished other lakes from a boat on windy points and done real good.

PATRIOT GUARD RIDER
Riding With Respect
Flag Captain
Re: Whites spawning on main lake? [Re: Dadsthatlove2fish] #12088701 02/11/17 04:59 PM
H
HeavyLead Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
H
I've been interested in this topic for a while. I know many just spawn in the lake, but I've never targeted them. I've heard sandy points, shallow sandy/gravel coves, rip rap, and who knows what else. I would like to try the lake spawn instead of the creeks when it's too muddy or crowded.

Last edited by HeavyLead; 02/11/17 04:59 PM.
Re: Whites spawning on main lake? [Re: Dadsthatlove2fish] #12089343 02/12/17 03:19 AM
L
Ledeez Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
L
Sandies are in the lavon creeks right now.. don't think they are quite in shallow main lake right now? I never fish mainlake this time of year I hit the creeks hard! Lavon seems to be awesome from bank on points around late June early July... post spawn is off the charts for me on main lake points

Teamgetsome$$$
Re: Whites spawning on main lake? [Re: Dadsthatlove2fish] #12089653 02/12/17 02:08 PM
C
CRB Offline
Green Horn
Green Horn
C
How is Lake Lavon looking?

Re: Whites spawning on main lake? [Re: hook-line&sinker] #12089810 02/12/17 03:43 PM
R
rvrrat14 Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
R
Originally Posted By: hook-line&sinker
ML56 is spot on at Lake Somerville.. when the lake is up and the Yegua is running full at the right time of the year we have good reproduction and not so good production on dry years. But certain areas of the lake hold spawning whitebass every spring year after year regardless of flow into the lake from the Yegua.

I remember reading somewhere that male whitebass will attempt to spawn in their first year of life but females take two full years to reach maturity. That would explain why the females are so much bigger.. and they are a relatively short lived fish at about 4 years which explains why several drought years in a row really knocks the population down.

Like most everything on the planet fish need to reproduce and whitebass will attempt to do so in whatever conditions are presented to them. That being said, whitebass will spawn where there is moving water and the success rate goes up or down with the volume and movement of the water.

One thing is for sure.. the whitebass don't stay in the creek after the spawn is done unless they get trapped by fast falling lake levels..

My TPWD Inland Fisheries friend tells me that surveys they do (gill net and creel) show that many whitebass never leave the lake but I do not know if anyone has done a study to determine the reproductive success rate of whitebass in creek-river verses open lakes.

I've walked the creeks and caught my share of whites in Somerville/Yegua. Due to the crowds, I've learned over these years that there are in fact many fish that remain in the lake to spawn/during the spawn. I've targeted them every year and have done real well. Amazingly enough, its the same time every year when fishing is the best, and always good numbers are to be had. Best part, not many folks in boats during this time in the main lake.

That said, it's still not like hoisting them outta a hole in the creek!

Good Luck and Stay Safe!!

<")}}}*><
Re: Whites spawning on main lake? [Re: Dadsthatlove2fish] #12091370 02/13/17 04:01 PM
R
Ruff n Redi Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
R
I think it depends on the lake and water flow. Lakes like PK and Texoma that keep water flow pretty much year round even in droughts, the fish go up the creeks or river. Lakes like EM and BB I think they spawn on points because when the wind blows it actually creates current. Just what I have seen.
fish

Luv2Fish
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide