Re: Tamales. [Re: smooth move] #12079798 02/06/17 03:58 PM
R
RickS. Online Happy
TFF Guru
Online Happy
TFF Guru
R
Originally Posted By: smooth move
i love tamales. i've never made em, but my wife and 3 of her friends did at our house a few years ago. looked like a bomb went off in the kitchen.

I have tried warning the girlfriend that this isn't no tiny undertaking. She's determined, so I'm going to let her try. roflmao

Re: Tamales. [Re: RickS.] #12079810 02/06/17 04:02 PM
K
Kattelyn Offline OP
Little Psycho Coffee
OP Offline
Little Psycho Coffee
K
Originally Posted By: RickS.
Kat, my girlfriend is currently writing down your recipe. We got several Texans up here in yankeeland craving some good tamales. Guess who gets their tamale recipe used? That's right it's you my friend. I'm trusting you. I know you won't let me down.

I'd send you some if I could. The dessert ones are freaking amazing. Only note I really want to stress is when you're rolling, don't cover the entire corn husk. Leave your skinny tail and one side uncovered. Don't put on too much masa.

For rolling, put your filling in the middle, fold over, pull the filling and masa towards you just a little, fold up your tail, then roll the rest of the way.

Fold over,
pull slightly
fold in your tail
finish the roll.

You want an assembly line going. We're normally doing it with plates and going in a circle. You have one person spreading the masa, another person with meat, another person folding and stacking in the pot.

When steaming, keep an ear on your pot and don't let it scorch. If you hear it sizzling, add water.

Oh, another thing that I do to make life easy. The very first thing you do the day of rolling is get your corn husks soaking. I'll get down my big turkey roaster and fill it with water, turn it just barely on where it's warm but not too hot. You have got to soak your husks. And it helps with dealing with any bugs or any dirt that might be in them. Gives them a good washing and soaking. And also, when you pull any out, put in the next batch immediately and break apart the bundles extremely well.

Last edited by Kattelyn; 02/06/17 04:06 PM. Reason: husks info
Re: Tamales. [Re: Kattelyn] #12080446 02/06/17 10:20 PM
J
Justmike Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
J
Or you could go to Costco and pick up there's not as good but easy

Re: Tamales. [Re: Kattelyn] #12081445 02/07/17 02:05 PM
F
fishslime Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
F
I use the Son of the South recipe on the internet. It makes a very good chicken/pork tamale. The masa is seasoned as well as the meat, which makes them particularly good. Has great instructions with pictures.

Re: Tamales. [Re: Kattelyn] #12083408 02/08/17 02:05 PM
R
RickS. Online Happy
TFF Guru
Online Happy
TFF Guru
R
Kat, we had them yesterday per your recipe. They turned out amazing. That chili sauce was the bomb also.

Re: Tamales. [Re: Kattelyn] #12083861 02/08/17 05:44 PM
K
Kattelyn Offline OP
Little Psycho Coffee
OP Offline
Little Psycho Coffee
K
Awesome! I always love hearing when folks love my recipes. That chili sauce is worth the effort every time. I have folks wanting to eat it with a spoon and as a topping for enchiladas.

Re: Tamales. [Re: Kattelyn] #12085476 02/09/17 04:13 PM
R
RickS. Online Happy
TFF Guru
Online Happy
TFF Guru
R
Originally Posted By: Kattelyn
Awesome! I always love hearing when folks love my recipes. That chili sauce is worth the effort every time. I have folks wanting to eat it with a spoon and as a topping for enchiladas.

I ain't even gonna lie. I scooped a couple of spoonfuls out while she was making them.

Re: Tamales. [Re: Kattelyn] #12357495 07/25/17 05:31 PM
T
TrailHand Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
T
I've been looking for an authentic mexican recipe for tamales forever. I live up north now so I don't have any more mexican friends to bug about them. Gotta make my own! laugh

Here's the shopping list for the first recipe (near as I could figure).

1 pork butt or shoulder roast (eat 1 meal from it)
10 ancho chilies
4 guajillo chilis
4 medium onions
10 garlic cloves
3 tsp. Cumin
28 oz. can crushed tomatoes
2 Tbsp. sugar
1 Tbsp. salt
1 c. pork shoulder stock
1 c. chili mix you made earlier
5 lb. bag fresh Masa (not dry masa mix)
2 Tbsp. salt
2 c. room temperature lard
2 c. additional broth (homemade or store bought)

Now if anyone has a killer Masa recipe..... dance2

Last edited by TrailHand; 07/25/17 05:33 PM.
Re: Tamales. [Re: TrailHand] #12357645 07/25/17 06:47 PM
K
Kattelyn Offline OP
Little Psycho Coffee
OP Offline
Little Psycho Coffee
K
That is the masa recipe. Here, let me explain.....

The 5 pound bag of fresh masa dough I'm describing in the recipe is something you buy straight at the store and use to make the tamales. It's a fresher (and not dried out) version of the dried flour and gives a much better end result. I've tried over and over again to use the dried stuff and had a lot of unsatisfactory results. Now I really insist it must be the fresh masa dough.

Take the 5 pound bag and pulse it through the food processor a little at a time to get all the lumps out.

Take 2 cups lard and 2 tablespoons salt and beat together until it's fluffy.
Start adding the fresh masa dough and broth slowly, beating the whole time until it's all incorporated. Have a glass of water nearby and beat the mixture. It's done when a pinch of it tossed in water floats.

The red chili gravy sauce stuff is what you add to your cooked meat to add flavor. Use as much or as little as you want. Typically we would have added 2 tablespoons of sauce per tamale but I'm lazy and just mixed the meat and the sauce together and be done with it.

Originally Posted By: TrailHand
I've been looking for an authentic mexican recipe for tamales forever. I live up north now so I don't have any more mexican friends to bug about them. Gotta make my own! laugh

Here's the shopping list for the first recipe (near as I could figure).

1 pork butt or shoulder roast (eat 1 meal from it)
10 ancho chilies
4 guajillo chilis
4 medium onions
10 garlic cloves
3 tsp. Cumin
28 oz. can crushed tomatoes
2 Tbsp. sugar
1 Tbsp. salt
1 c. pork shoulder stock

5 lb. bag fresh Masa (not dry masa mix)
2 Tbsp. salt
2 c. room temperature lard
2 c. broth (this is also where you use the pork shoulder stock)

Now if anyone has a killer Masa recipe..... dance2

Re: Tamales. [Re: Kattelyn] #12357666 07/25/17 07:00 PM
T
TrailHand Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
T
Sorry Katt, I typed faster than I was thinking. I meant a from-scratch Masa recipe in lieu of buying a 5lb bag. Like, "Take 4 cups of AP flour..." smile

Re: Tamales. [Re: TrailHand] #12357680 07/25/17 07:10 PM
K
Kattelyn Offline OP
Little Psycho Coffee
OP Offline
Little Psycho Coffee
K
Sorry Katt, I typed faster than I was thinking. I meant a from-scratch Masa recipe in lieu of buying a 5lb bag. Like, "Take 4 cups of AP flour..." smile

You're asking for the wheat to grind your own 5 pound bag of flour. wink

Buy It Fresh

Most Mexican grocery stores also sell a fresh corn masa called "masa preparada," which is a dough made from freshly ground hominy, not masa harina flour. It can be purchased in two ways: a smooth consistency for making corn tortillas, or a coarse-textured masa with lard and seasonings for making tamales.

Smooth-ground masa should be kept well-covered at room temperature and used right away for best results. Coarse-ground masa can be covered and refrigerated for up to a week or frozen for up to three months.

Last edited by Kattelyn; 07/25/17 07:14 PM.
Re: Tamales. [Re: Kattelyn] #12357879 07/25/17 09:18 PM
T
TrailHand Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
T
Originally Posted By: Kattelyn

You're asking for the wheat to grind your own 5 pound bag of flour. wink

Buy It Fresh

Most Mexican grocery stores also sell a fresh corn masa called "masa preparada," which is a dough made from freshly ground hominy, not masa harina flour. It can be purchased in two ways: a smooth consistency for making corn tortillas, or a coarse-textured masa with lard and seasonings for making tamales.

Smooth-ground masa should be kept well-covered at room temperature and used right away for best results. Coarse-ground masa can be covered and refrigerated for up to a week or frozen for up to three months.

Haha! no, just the recipe for that 5lb bag of dough. We used to live in Ft worth and were surrounded by mexicans on the north side. It was great for all the food we got to try growing up. One of the girls (that I had a huge crush on) tried to teach me one time, but she was 16 and I was 13 and I couldn't keep my head on straight enough to write anything down. I remember something starting with "5 handfuls of flour", there was lard in there somewhere from a big 5 gallon bucket they kept on hand, and that was about all I remember relating to the recipe.

But man them tortillas would make a puppy pull a locomotive!

Last edited by TrailHand; 07/25/17 09:19 PM.
Re: Tamales. [Re: Kattelyn] #12519176 11/28/17 08:34 PM
K
Kattelyn Offline OP
Little Psycho Coffee
OP Offline
Little Psycho Coffee
K
Tis the season. I'm making standard red chile pork, strawberry and chocolate (had to special order the strawberry masa this year), spinach mushroom, and two new weird things using banana leaves.

Nacatamales from Nicaragua and Honduras. They are similar to Mexican tamales, but nacatamales are larger, filled with meat and vegetables and steamed in banana leaves.
And then just cause I want to try it.... and I'm going to be messing with banana leaves... something called Banh Tet Chuoi. Vietnamese sweet sticky rice cakes with bananas. They're kinda tamale-ish, prepared much the same way and sweet. I had them many years ago and finally cornered the woman who made them and got her recipe. smile

4 dry cups sweet rice, washed & soaked for minimum of 4 hours, preferably overnight. Heat 400 ml coconut milk over medium heat, add pinch of salt and drained rice. Stir gently until the consistency is that of a oatmeal... add regular sugar to desired sweetness... I add only about a cup. Let mixture cool down... slice baby bananas in half... clean banana leaves (I use the ones that are already cut to circles)... wrap coconut rice mixture & banana. Since the rice is semi cooked it will only take about 30 minutes in a steamer to cook.

Re: Tamales. [Re: Kattelyn] #12526015 12/04/17 01:27 PM
CHAMPION FISH Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
Love them on Christmas Day.

[Linked Image]
" Success is a ladder you can not climb with your hands in your pockets."

www.pro-cure.com
www.falconrods.com
Re: Tamales. [Re: Kattelyn] #12532841 12/09/17 10:44 PM
F
fishslime Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
F
I always buy MeSeCa(?)masa and use The Son of the South recipe on the web. I love them. They remind me of the tamales the Dallas Tortilla Factory used to sell. Last time I bought another brand of masa flour and won't do that again. Had to steam them a very long time to get the masa done - about 4 hours. Should have to steam them only a couple of hours or so.

The Son of the South recipe has seasoning in the masa as well as the meat, which gives them their distinctive flavor.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide