Page 1 of 2 1 2
Boat setup #12076408 02/04/17 02:57 PM
L
LSM Offline OP
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
L
For you hard core hybrid/whites fishermen. I need opinions/ideas on the best boat/setup for an all around boat for hybrids, whites and crappie. I am within close proximity to Lake Conroe and Lake Livingston, but don't mind driving farther. I've gone through a couple of bass boats years back and currently kayak fish. Most of my fishing now is limited to the white bass/hybrid runs up creeks and rivers, with a little largemouth bass fishing thrown in throughout the year. I'd like to get a boat so I can catch whites/hybrids/crappie year round out in the main lakes. I'd also like the ability to take friends and family with me that can't paddle a kayak all day. Having owned boats before, I know how easy it is to get sucked in to wanting the latest and greatest of everything. I just need a functional tool that will allow me to find fish and is safe on open water.

I would like to stick with aluminum, since I will be in the river some. Budget is probably no more than $5,000.
I guess what I am asking is, what would be the best "minimalist" rig for an inexpensive aluminum boat that will do the job.
Tiller motor vs. steering? Trolling motor? Electronics?

Or how about photos of your rig?

Last edited by LSM; 02/04/17 04:54 PM.
Re: Boat setup [Re: LSM] #12076681 02/04/17 07:51 PM
C
Capt Craig Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
C
Used is always cheaper than new... I have never ever liked tiller steer. When I am running or slowly maneuvering, I want to maintain good visibility and that is so tough to do from the back of the boat. So I would recommend traditional steering wheel control. I have owned and ridden so very many styles of boats. I personally love the center console style. Just more room to move around and certainly to get around versus a center walkway. I like a boat at least 19' as a minimum because you never know what the weather will do. But a person can do well with a 17' if they are particular about where they go and the weather conditions. But with a $5,000 budget, you are gonna have little to choose from. Trailer, boat, electronics and motor is a tight go for the price, not impossible, but just have to find the right deal. The quality of boat changes if your budget can be stretched to around $7500 or so.

2007 20' basic boat at $5,100. Not much of a deal.
http://www.boattrader.com/listing/2007-tracker-20%27-grizzley-2072-102944032

1998 Tracker 17' at 6,500.
http://www.boattrader.com/listing/1998-tracker-pro-team-175-tf-102842417/

Good luck and hope you find a great deal!!

Capt. Craig Copeland
Licensed by the US Coast Guard

2019 Nautic Star 215 XTS Shallow Bay Boat
Humminbird HELIX 12 CHIRP MEGA SI GPS G3N
Nautic Star Boats Pro Staff (nauticstarboats.com)
Redneck Fish'n Jigs Pro Staff (redneckfishn.com)
Re: Boat setup [Re: LSM] #12076710 02/04/17 08:24 PM
L
LSM Offline OP
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
L
Yeah, after looking around, the budget will need to be increased some. In my mind, I really want a boat that I can take into tight spaces up the river, and out on open water. In reality, for use on large bodies of water, the boat shoud probably be something more. Really need two or three different boats.
I do like the idea of a center console. Thanks for the input.

Re: Boat setup [Re: LSM] #12077029 02/05/17 12:45 AM
ShinerInTx Online Content
Extreme Angler
Online Content
Extreme Angler
For what you described, look into the Lund type boats. Lowe fm175 and similar series.

I almost went that route, but I've got young kids and felt like the pontoon would fit us better for now.

[Linked Image][Linked Image]
Re: Boat setup [Re: LSM] #12077102 02/05/17 01:39 AM
scubaarchery Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
I have a G3 1860 side console. I use it for duck hunting and white bass fishing. I have a 90 horse outboard which limits my duck hunting reach somewhat but it is great for big lakes and easily moves up river. You will have to go with an older aluminum for that price but get the bass boat layout for fishing convenience, you can cut costs with an older motor or smaller slower motor but don't skimp on the electronics and make sure the trolling motor is strong enough to hold your boat in place for crappie fishing.

Catch more hybrids, sand-bass and striper with the Thump’emup Thumper!
www.thumpemupfishing.com
Thumpemupfishingchannel@gmail.com
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCi602ZTsxnkaVwT0wq3OgCA
Re: Boat setup [Re: LSM] #12077236 02/05/17 02:39 AM
F
forsanmedic Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
F
We have a G3 V172 and we can get around on both small and big lakes. We had a Tracker mod v and it did not do good with waves in winds over 15 mph. We fish Whitney a lot and when the wind is wrong it can get really rough. My wife and I fish sand bass, striper, catfish, and crappie out of it.

Re: Boat setup [Re: LSM] #12077754 02/05/17 02:45 PM
Klinger Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
When I was looking I was between Lowe, Tracker, and Lund. I eventually went with a Lund and can not be any happier. I have no issue with waves in wind and it does not get blown around nearly as much as I had anticipated for a deep v. I would have gone with a larger size had I not insisted on something that would fit into the garage. I also got a full windshield as the wife does not like getting windblown. Takes away some of the space but I have set myself up to accommodate. There are not a whole lot of them used online around here. But some searching can find a good deal. There is a Youtube video that goes thru how they are built at their factory. It is pretty impressive. And I can also say their customer service has been amazing as well. I had a rip in my bimini from the factory maybe 1/2 inch. I asked for a matching patch and they sent an entirely new replacement. When I was looking at the new ones they all have a flip up set of seats as an option in the back that fold down and make a large rear deck when you don't have company. I very seldom use them. I fish crappie/Whites/Hybrids/and Catfish out of it. I have not been out for striper in it, but do not think I would have any issues there either.

Re: Boat setup [Re: LSM] #12077859 02/05/17 03:31 PM
stumpknocking Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
You can pick up a Skiff or Bay boat at a reasonable price. They are excellent in shallow water and handle the main lake fine. Only thing you give up is there's not much storage space on them. Big plus is , NO carpet and easy to clean.
Good luck!

Re: Boat setup [Re: LSM] #12077938 02/05/17 04:24 PM
L
LSM Offline OP
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
L
I really appreciate all the input. Shopping for the perfect boat is not an easy task. I have increased my budget though.

Re: Boat setup [Re: LSM] #12078031 02/05/17 05:34 PM
P
psycho0819 Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
P
I ran into the same decision when shopping for a new (to me) boat a few years back. I fish Tawakoni mainly, but also like to get back in some creeks and rivers at certain times of the year. I too wanted a tin rig for the tighter places. I ended up going with an 1860 center console. A 2072 would no doubt be better when on the open water, but there are times when it would simply be too big to get where I want to be without a PITA.

The problem I had was finding aluminum center consoles for sale used. Seems like people who buy these things like to keep them. Every one I found was either out of the year range that lenders were willing to loan against, or the sellers were basically upside down on them, not necessarily wanting more than they were worth, but wanting more than blue book which is what most lenders will finance. Lenders didn't seem to consider upgrades when valuing a boat so fish finders, upgraded TM's, jack plates, etc were not considered by lenders to add to the value of the boat even though we all realize they do to the user. For that reason I ended up buying new and paying extra on the principle every month to insure I'm not stuck with a boat valued at less than I can sell it for should I need to, and it'll pay off early. Then the problem was getting an interest rate that I could live with. It seems the lenders have our number on toys like boats, I had hell fining a lender who would get below 5% interest even though I have good credit.

My advice is, decide what you want, then be patient in choosing the boat and lender. If financing, get your lender setup and ready to go so when you find the right boat you can take advantage of it before someone else does. If paying cash, then you have that whole thing beat before you start.

If you're not living on the edge, you're taking up too much space!
Re: Boat setup [Re: LSM] #12078080 02/05/17 06:09 PM
B
Bob Landry Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
B
Short of having a boat for every purpose, any boat you get is going to be a compromise. You'll have to decide what you can live with/without and start there.

2015 Seaark 1872 MV CC Etec-90
Two Helix 12 CHIRP SI's, , MinnKota Riptide ST80/i-pilot Link, Bob's Hydraulic
2020 Robalo R200 CC, Yamaha 150

Bitter Gun Owner
Bitter Clinger
Armed Infidel
Re: Boat setup [Re: Bob Landry] #12078171 02/05/17 07:25 PM
L
LSM Offline OP
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
L
Originally Posted By: Bob Landry
Short of having a boat for every purpose, any boat you get is going to be a compromise. You'll have to decide what you can live with/without and start there.

I agree. Which is why I will be hanging on to my kayak. I can go places no boat can go. However, those places are only good 1 month out of the year.

Re: Boat setup [Re: psycho0819] #12078174 02/05/17 07:26 PM
L
LSM Offline OP
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
L
Originally Posted By: psycho0819
I ran into the same decision when shopping for a new (to me) boat a few years back. I fish Tawakoni mainly, but also like to get back in some creeks and rivers at certain times of the year. I too wanted a tin rig for the tighter places. I ended up going with an 1860 center console. A 2072 would no doubt be better when on the open water, but there are times when it would simply be too big to get where I want to be without a PITA.

The problem I had was finding aluminum center consoles for sale used. Seems like people who buy these things like to keep them. Every one I found was either out of the year range that lenders were willing to loan against, or the sellers were basically upside down on them, not necessarily wanting more than they were worth, but wanting more than blue book which is what most lenders will finance. Lenders didn't seem to consider upgrades when valuing a boat so fish finders, upgraded TM's, jack plates, etc were not considered by lenders to add to the value of the boat even though we all realize they do to the user. For that reason I ended up buying new and paying extra on the principle every month to insure I'm not stuck with a boat valued at less than I can sell it for should I need to, and it'll pay off early. Then the problem was getting an interest rate that I could live with. It seems the lenders have our number on toys like boats, I had hell fining a lender who would get below 5% interest even though I have good credit.

My advice is, decide what you want, then be patient in choosing the boat and lender. If financing, get your lender setup and ready to go so when you find the right boat you can take advantage of it before someone else does. If paying cash, then you have that whole thing beat before you start.

Got any pics? Thanks.

Re: Boat setup [Re: LSM] #12078563 02/06/17 12:07 AM
S
Southtxangler22 Offline
Angler
Angler
S
I use a tracker v-guide 16... Ipilot on the front and wrapped in rod holders.. It's literally the best all around fishing machine.. It's aluminum, so any wind or waves it'll be rough, but not near as rough as in a flat bottom. I drag baits for blues, spot lock on schools of whites, and chase boiling stripers all over Canyon Lake. I take it down too the Nueces River and can go anywhere there with it. I've fished all over lake fork and Tawakoni in it.. Its a great little boat. I'd prefer a 20ft center console.. But with the budget I had, it's caught a ton of fish with little to no maintenance aside from the basic water pump and lower unit oil change. I see these models or boats like it on Craig'slist within your budget. Good luck to you.

Re: Boat setup [Re: LSM] #12079898 02/06/17 04:42 PM
B
BigPoppa007 Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
B

Last edited by BigPoppa007; 02/06/17 04:49 PM.

[Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image] [Linked Image] [Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image]
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide