J
White/ chartreuse grubs

Re: Nueces Sand Bass Run! [Re: Southtxangler22] #12069038 01/31/17 03:38 PM
R
rob valle Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
R
I took my dad out yesterday (a Monday)and left feeling somewhat disappointed. We arrived at the Airport Ramp early at 0645 and there was already a line starting to form. As I was waiting to put in, one of the guides said a few days ago another "fisherman" parked next to his boat and started fishing the same hole as him! When the guide mentioned something about common courtesy, the guy lifted his shirt,revealed a handgun, and said it was a public river. Wow. That quick conversation pretty much set the tone for the rest of the trip. We launched after that and slowly started making our way up river. Within about 30 minutes, there was an armada of boats all hauling butt to get to the rapids ASAP. We passed one couple who thanked us for going slowly around them, but then listened as the wife used every expletive in her vocabulary to describe the other boats who nearly swamped theirs. We kept trolling and trying spots until we eventually found about 15-18 boats all tied within a few feet of each other. That is a little close for me, but one nice guy on the bank waived us over and said we could fish his spot as he just limited out. We did and started catching but I could tell the bite was slowing down. Then a huge pontoon came around the corner with about 8 guys on it listening to rap music really loud. Yeah, they tied off about 5 feet from us. About that time, another guy on the opposite side turns his country music up loud to counteract the rap music. I'm not sure what was worse, the music or the guy on his cell phone having a business conversation for 15 minutes so the whole river could hear. Anyhow, at this point I had about had it, so we headed back. As we approached the ramp, there was a guy with his boat parked near the water cleaning the 50 whites he and his daughter caught. He paid no attention to us or the guys in a canoe behind us who could have loaded quickly if he was not blocking one of the ramps. No, he just kept filleting fish and tossing the carcasses in the river. When we pulled out we met a friendly Game Warden who was asked about out trip and how we did. As I explained everything, he agreed that the river was packed with people and that the fishing was becoming hit or miss. He then left us and turned his attention to Mr. Courteous who was still filleting fish and making a mess on the ramp. Before I left, I removed a 12 pack of empty Natie Light bottles which were broken and in the middle of the parking lot. Oh yeah, we brought home 14 white bass.

Re: Nueces Sand Bass Run! [Re: rob valle] #12069072 01/31/17 03:56 PM
Jimbo Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
Originally Posted By: rob valle
I took my dad out yesterday (a Monday)and left feeling somewhat disappointed. We arrived at the Airport Ramp early at 0645 and there was already a line starting to form. As I was waiting to put in, one of the guides said a few days ago another "fisherman" parked next to his boat and started fishing the same hole as him! When the guide mentioned something about common courtesy, the guy lifted his shirt,revealed a handgun, and said it was a public river. Wow. That quick conversation pretty much set the tone for the rest of the trip. We launched after that and slowly started making our way up river. Within about 30 minutes, there was an armada of boats all hauling butt to get to the rapids ASAP. We passed one couple who thanked us for going slowly around them, but then listened as the wife used every expletive in her vocabulary to describe the other boats who nearly swamped theirs. We kept trolling and trying spots until we eventually found about 15-18 boats all tied within a few feet of each other. That is a little close for me, but one nice guy on the bank waived us over and said we could fish his spot as he just limited out. We did and started catching but I could tell the bite was slowing down. Then a huge pontoon came around the corner with about 8 guys on it listening to rap music really loud. Yeah, they tied off about 5 feet from us. About that time, another guy on the opposite side turns his country music up loud to counteract the rap music. I'm not sure what was worse, the music or the guy on his cell phone having a business conversation for 15 minutes so the whole river could hear. Anyhow, at this point I had about had it, so we headed back. As we approached the ramp, there was a guy with his boat parked near the water cleaning the 50 whites he and his daughter caught. He paid no attention to us or the guys in a canoe behind us who could have loaded quickly if he was not blocking one of the ramps. No, he just kept filleting fish and tossing the carcasses in the river. When we pulled out we met a friendly Game Warden who was asked about out trip and how we did. As I explained everything, he agreed that the river was packed with people and that the fishing was becoming hit or miss. He then left us and turned his attention to Mr. Courteous who was still filleting fish and making a mess on the ramp. Before I left, I removed a 12 pack of empty Natie Light bottles which were broken and in the middle of the parking lot. Oh yeah, we brought home 14 white bass.

Yep, I made a trip down there early in January and it wasn't crowded at all. We limited that day and I was anxious to get back down but things came up and I missed going back.
Then I started hearing the horror stories about the crowds and I've made up my mind a limit of whites isn't worth the hassle.
People leave their manners before they get to the parking lot and a lot of them don't have any at all.
I've fished down there for over 40 years and never have I seen it as bad as it is now. That said, there are more people and of course you have the internet which contributes to the chaos.
I hate to say it, but someone is going to get killed on that river.

Just one more cast!

Re: Nueces Sand Bass Run! [Re: rob valle] #12069208 01/31/17 04:53 PM
C
Chad.N Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
C

I was one of the guys in the canoe that pulled in behind y'all at the ramp. I was at the ramp when the game warden came down to talk to the guy. From what I could tell the guy played dumb and the game warden just told him not to do it again.

The fishing was slow for us. We managed to catch 6 total but never could find a spot with consistent action.

Has the spawn really started yet or is it still just building?

Re: Nueces Sand Bass Run! [Re: Southtxangler22] #12069267 01/31/17 05:24 PM
J
jvela Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
J
Unbelievable! No respect or common courtesy these days😡

Re: Nueces Sand Bass Run! [Re: Chad.N] #12069470 01/31/17 07:00 PM
R
rob valle Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
R
Originally Posted By: Chad.N

I was one of the guys in the canoe that pulled in behind y'all at the ramp. I was at the ramp when the game warden came down to talk to the guy. From what I could tell the guy played dumb and the game warden just told him not to do it again.

The fishing was slow for us. We managed to catch 6 total but never could find a spot with consistent action.

Has the spawn really started yet or is it still just building?

Hey nice to meet u Chad! Yeah about two weeks earlier my boys and I had a great time and didn't have to go far to fill the ice chest. Yesterday was tough fishing for sure. We fried the ones we caught last night and they were good. Thanks again for the ones you guys gave us!

Re: Nueces Sand Bass Run! [Re: rob valle] #12069510 01/31/17 07:22 PM
S
snookered Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
S

that sounds precisely like my experience about a month ago, however sans the pistol incident....

the guy in the pontoon blasting the rap music is a guide too....in fact, there's several guides that are going up there almost every day and hitting it....

which, nothing against guides in general, but come on...it takes ZERO skill or imagination to take people on a fishing trip up the river and hit the white bass...

might as well take them to Lake Corpus Christi State Park to the sectioned off area and "guide" into catching the stocked rainbow trout....LOL!!
snookered

Re: Nueces Sand Bass Run! [Re: rob valle] #12069513 01/31/17 07:25 PM
S
snookered Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
S

oh yeah, and some of the guides are also fishing clients on the river on the weekend....I have deep respect for a lot of guides around my area, and they would never consider doing that....almost shameless...
snookered

Re: Nueces Sand Bass Run! [Re: Southtxangler22] #12069677 01/31/17 08:54 PM
A
AAA20206 Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
A
It's a shame the SA-area lakes don't have their runs until later in the season. By the time they start running up North, everyone's freezers are full of Nueces White Bass.
I tried to limit my trips to weekdays to avoid this mess, but now the ramps are full even on random weekdays. Gotta love Facebook....

Re: Nueces Sand Bass Run! [Re: snookered] #12069767 01/31/17 09:37 PM
Jimbo Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
Quote:
nothing against guides in general, but come on...it takes ZERO skill or imagination to take people on a fishing trip up the river and hit the white bass...

I know one of the guides not well, just met and talked with him a few times and I run into him ever so often on the water, and he is one that fishes it most every day down there on the river.
Personally I couldn't do it and put up with all that he puts up with, and getting $300 a trip isn't worth it.
He takes out a few people and limits out and is back home by noon, so that's not a bad payday but when you figure in all the gas and other expenses it doesn't sound like much.
You can't blame the guy as long as there are people lined up to pay, so what if it's shooting fish in a barrel for a few hours?
I'd also add that he is booked up, and I'm sure the others are also.

Last edited by Jimbo; 01/31/17 09:43 PM.

Just one more cast!

Re: Nueces Sand Bass Run! [Re: Southtxangler22] #12070568 02/01/17 06:54 AM
S
Southtxangler22 Offline OP
Angler
OP Offline
Angler
S
The Nueces run starts extremely early... It very well could be coming to an end, however, spawning white bass in any river is typically hit or miss through out the season. I caught almost a limit right after Christmas. Limits been coming out almost daily in the month of Jan. Usually it's pretty good on the Nueces through mid March.. If you stop early and start testing the 99 bridge you might have a little less crowd and good fishing should be starting up.

Re: Nueces Sand Bass Run! [Re: Southtxangler22] #12070760 02/01/17 02:15 PM
N
nd1225 Offline
Angler
Angler
N
Dang, sounds like a nightmare. Sorry about the crappy experience

Re: Nueces Sand Bass Run! [Re: Jimbo] #12070979 02/01/17 04:12 PM
S
snookered Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
S
Originally Posted By: Jimbo
Quote:
nothing against guides in general, but come on...it takes ZERO skill or imagination to take people on a fishing trip up the river and hit the white bass...

I know one of the guides not well, just met and talked with him a few times and I run into him ever so often on the water, and he is one that fishes it most every day down there on the river.
Personally I couldn't do it and put up with all that he puts up with, and getting $300 a trip isn't worth it.
He takes out a few people and limits out and is back home by noon, so that's not a bad payday but when you figure in all the gas and other expenses it doesn't sound like much.
You can't blame the guy as long as there are people lined up to pay, so what if it's shooting fish in a barrel for a few hours?
I'd also add that he is booked up, and I'm sure the others are also.

I hear you, and understand that "you gotta do what you gotta do to survive"....however, the amount of pressure that place is getting these days, with the amount of boats and the amount of fish taken on a daily basis won't be sustainable after a few years....I've been fishing that section of the river for over 20 years, and the amount of traffic over just the past three years has gone off the charts...

and the point is, I don't remember seeing guides there on the weekend until this year....I'm betting these are new guides who haven't been fishing the river for years and years, they've just been fishing the internet and facebooks for their hot tips....LOL
snookered

Re: Nueces Sand Bass Run! [Re: Southtxangler22] #12071443 02/01/17 08:45 PM
Jimbo Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
I doubt that it won't be sustainable, and if it is it will mean that there will be fewer crowds and more room at the boat launch in years to come.
I'm more than OK with that!
clap

As for the crowds, I'm afraid they aren't going to go away unless the river goes down like it's been doing the last several years, and this year is crowded because the river is higher than it's been in years, but I'm sure you know that.
I used to think it got crowded down there before the days of the internet and I can remember a lot of days when I could count on one hand the number of boats I saw on the river during the peak of the run.....Oh how I miss those days! cry

Last edited by Jimbo; 02/01/17 09:02 PM.

Just one more cast!

Re: Nueces Sand Bass Run! [Re: Southtxangler22] #12072063 02/02/17 02:39 AM
J
Jig & Pig Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
J
We went 5 times last year and limited Jan 29, Feb 15, 18, 27, March 23. Feb 27 was the only non-limit. Caught them as late at early April in years past. Have not been yet this year but know they started well before Christmas. Been faring with deer and javelina hunters so have not been yet this year. Rather miss all the drama...

Good Fishing!
"Jig & Pig"
Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide