Forums59
Topics1,037,311
Posts13,926,074
Members144,132
Most Online39,925
Dec 30th, 2023
Print Thread
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Re: overpowered boat?? advice please guys. [Re: hopefullythisworks] #12050265 01/20/17 11:46 AM
Allison1 Online Content
TFF Guru
Online Content
TFF Guru
Legally and ethically you will find almost all of the organized tournaments do not allow for more horsepower than the manufacturer recommends. You will be trying to deceive them if you run the boat you are looking at.

Fixing the problem with stickers is a way around it if you want to take advantage of the other boaters. My recommendation is to not fish tournaments in an overpowered boat.

Power enhancements are not legal by the EPA unless the motor is going to be strictly racing. Any alterations on outboards to enhance performance are illegal on motors made after 1998.

May 4, 2023
Originally Posted by OTFF
Once again, I agree with you.
Moritz Chevrolet - 9101 Camp Bowie W Blvd, Fort Worth, TX - Monte Coon (817) 696-2003
Re: overpowered boat?? advice please guys. [Re: David Burton] #12051008 01/20/17 06:27 PM
B
Bobby Milam Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
B
Originally Posted By: David Burton
Originally Posted By: skeeterbugzx300
that is just teaching kids that it is ok to break the rules.

X1000!!!

Changing 'Stickers'? WOW... Cheating is Cheating!

Performance enhancements are more of a gray area, unless the rules prohibit alterations. We need to teach being HONEST and good integrity!!!!

EXACTLY! If a fisherman doesn't have the integrity to follow all of the rules, then he doesn't have the integrity to follow any of the rules and should be banned. HS tournaments should teach integrity first and fishing last. If someone thinks that it is ok to break a rule about replacing stickers to legitimize the equipment, why don't they just go pre-catch the fish the day before and go pick them up on the tournament day? Most times it's being honest when only you would know...sometimes, you just show everyone your lack of integrity when you recommend that they cheat.

Re: overpowered boat?? advice please guys. [Re: hopefullythisworks] #12051030 01/20/17 06:40 PM
Texascajun69 Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
You can legally overpower a boat in Texas. I have done it. Check around on with insurance companies before you buy the boat. Many companies rates will be on a length vs. horsepower formula.

I have not fished any tournament circuit or big pot tournaments (Sealy, Skeeter Big Bass Splash, etc.) that has allowed overpowered boats. I know all BASS tournament trails (Elites, Opens, and Federation) has this rule. I do not know about the high schools, but I would be very suspect of any captain in a high school who intentionally falsifies their horsepower rating.

John K Fontenot
Diapers and Politicians need to be changed often; and for the same reason.
Re: overpowered boat?? advice please guys. [Re: hopefullythisworks] #12051228 01/20/17 08:18 PM
S
SteezMacQueen Online Happy
TFF Guru
Online Happy
TFF Guru
S
Originally Posted By: hopefullythisworks
guys i appreciate all this feedback! i had no idea that you are limited to 60mph! i was just looking at being as competitive as possible if i was going to take on helping some youngsters out. there have been a number of tournaments that i have fished where speed was a factor getting to a spot before the next fella, but its not a driving force in this decision. i was just having a hard time thinking that 3" and 70 pounds warrants 200hp on a boat compared to 175. id be upset too if i spent all kinds of money on a 22ft rig that a 19ft rig could compete with performance wise. i mean it makes sense that the boat manufactures would want to sell higher priced big motor boats.

again guys thanks for all the good information!! if anyone has anything else to ad i sure would love to hear it!!

Some lakes have "all watercraft speed limits" that are WELL BELOW 60 mph.

From what I remember from fishing Bassmaster the last few years, the only rule with reguard to power is "no motor is to have a manufacturers rating of more than 250hp". But honestly, I don't know what it says to boats smaller than those rated up to 250 or higher.

Eat. Sleep. Fish.
Re: overpowered boat?? advice please guys. [Re: hopefullythisworks] #12052755 01/21/17 11:21 PM
H
hopefullythisworks Offline OP
Angler
OP Offline
Angler
H
i appreciate all of the feedback!! i went ahead and decided against the purchase after all of the great info i was given. on a side note i am almost sick to my stomach. i noticed an oil leak devlop on my yamaha 150 and traced the oil leak to my air silencer. it was full up to the bottom carb. doing some research and proceeding with whatever lay ahead. say a prayer for me.

Re: overpowered boat?? advice please guys. [Re: Dubee] #12052864 01/22/17 12:44 AM
9094 Online Content
TFF Guru
Online Content
TFF Guru
Originally Posted By: Dubee
Not illegal. Not legal in tournys

This true. And if a TD allows it when the stated rules of the tournament prohibit it then the TD is derelict in his job and should dismissed.
And stickers do not change the horsepower.

Last edited by 9094; 01/22/17 12:46 AM.
Re: overpowered boat?? advice please guys. [Re: SteezMacQueen] #12053760 01/22/17 04:45 PM
Allison1 Online Content
TFF Guru
Online Content
TFF Guru
Originally Posted By: SteezMacQueen
guys i appreciate all this feedback! i had no idea that you are limited to 60mph! i was just looking at being as competitive as possible if i was going to take on helping some youngsters out. there have been a number of tournaments that i have fished where speed was a factor getting to a spot before the next fella, but its not a driving force in this decision. i was just having a hard time thinking that 3" and 70 pounds warrants 200hp on a boat compared to 175. id be upset too if i spent all kinds of money on a 22ft rig that a 19ft rig could compete with performance wise. i mean it makes sense that the boat manufactures would want to sell higher priced big motor boats.

again guys thanks for all the good information!! if anyone has anything else to ad i sure would love to hear it!!

From what I remember from fishing Bassmaster the last few years, the only rule with reguard to power is "no motor is to have a manufacturers rating of more than 250hp". But honestly, I don't know what it says to boats smaller than those rated up to 250 or higher.

You need to start reading the rules when you fish a tournament circuit, especially the premier circuits. They don't allow motors over 250, motors that exceed the coast guard ratings plate nor do they allow for outboards to be altered to increase performance. They do allow to alter motors to increase reliability.

Weekend Series Rules
Quote:
8. HORSEPOWER REGULATIONS: Maximum horsepower for all outboard motorboats used in official tournament practice and in tournament competition will be 250 HP. Horsepower cannot exceed the limitations set by the U.S. Coast Guard. When required, each boat must have a U.S. Coast Guard horsepower-rating plate attached to the boat by the manufacturer. The horsepower of the outboard engine must not exceed the rating specified on this plate nor the horsepower maximum set by BASS. Each competitor agrees to submit, by their signature on the official entry form, the boat and outboard motor used in the tournament, to an inspection by factory-trained personnel, if there is any reason to suspect the horsepower is in excess of the rating. Normal maintenance of engines is allowed. Changing or altering standard factory parts of a competitor's engine to increase the horsepower over the factory horsepower rating is forbidden, and will result in disqualification. Falsifying information on entry forms or altering the horsepower-rating numbers on the engine is also cause for immediate disqualification from BASS tournaments. Posted speed limits must be observed and all boats must be operated in a safe manner.

I only say this because it keeps you legal and being surprised when you get to weigh in.

May 4, 2023
Originally Posted by OTFF
Once again, I agree with you.
Re: overpowered boat?? advice please guys. [Re: Allison1] #12054305 01/22/17 10:13 PM
S
SteezMacQueen Online Happy
TFF Guru
Online Happy
TFF Guru
S
Originally Posted By: Allison1
Originally Posted By: SteezMacQueen

You need to start reading the rules when you fish a tournament circuit, especially the premier circuits. They don't allow motors over 250, motors that exceed the coast guard ratings plate nor do they allow for outboards to be altered to increase performance. They do allow to alter motors to increase reliability.

Weekend Series Rules
Quote:
8. HORSEPOWER REGULATIONS: Maximum horsepower for all outboard motorboats used in official tournament practice and in tournament competition will be 250 HP. Horsepower cannot exceed the limitations set by the U.S. Coast Guard. When required, each boat must have a U.S. Coast Guard horsepower-rating plate attached to the boat by the manufacturer. The horsepower of the outboard engine must not exceed the rating specified on this plate nor the horsepower maximum set by BASS. Each competitor agrees to submit, by their signature on the official entry form, the boat and outboard motor used in the tournament, to an inspection by factory-trained personnel, if there is any reason to suspect the horsepower is in excess of the rating. Normal maintenance of engines is allowed. Changing or altering standard factory parts of a competitor's engine to increase the horsepower over the factory horsepower rating is forbidden, and will result in disqualification. Falsifying information on entry forms or altering the horsepower-rating numbers on the engine is also cause for immediate disqualification from BASS tournaments. Posted speed limits must be observed and all boats must be operated in a safe manner.

I only say this because it keeps you legal and being surprised when you get to weigh in.

Yes sir. It would be a pretty big let down, getting caught or simply not knowing you were breaking a rule.

I never payed too much attention to the rule, as my boats have always had the correct engine for the plate...so I knew I was good to go.

I have, however, witnessed a guy getting refused the right to use his 300hp Z9 at Ross Barnett. Haha.

Eat. Sleep. Fish.
Re: overpowered boat?? advice please guys. [Re: hopefullythisworks] #12054345 01/22/17 10:29 PM
B
Bobby Milam Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
B
i appreciate all of the feedback!! i went ahead and decided against the purchase after all of the great info i was given. on a side note i am almost sick to my stomach. i noticed an oil leak devlop on my yamaha 150 and traced the oil leak to my air silencer. it was full up to the bottom carb. doing some research and proceeding with whatever lay ahead. say a prayer for me.

Not sure about the Yamaha but my mercury gets oil in there and it is common. It's messy but other than that not an issue for me. My reservoir is on the motor and the caps are known to have leaks if I try to fill it completely. It settles into three and then slowly drains out of the motor when tilted for travel. Hopefully you'll just have a similar problem

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide