Forums59
Topics1,037,859
Posts13,935,709
Members144,150
Most Online39,925
Dec 30th, 2023
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Get up, and MOVE! - Sitting at work is not good for you. #12045006 01/17/17 05:24 PM
B
Bass_Bustin_Texan Offline OP
TFF Guru
OP Offline
TFF Guru
B

You can avoid having ulcers by adapting to the situation: If you fall in the mud puddle, check your pockets for fish. ~Unknown

Open your eyes & look within, are you satisfied with the life youre living.

No matter how good or bad you have it, wake up each day thankful for your life. Someone somewhere else is desperately fighting for theirs.
Re: Get up, and MOVE! - Sitting at work is not good for you. [Re: Bass_Bustin_Texan] #12045017 01/17/17 05:31 PM
B
TFF Guru
OP Offline
TFF Guru
B
Hardly a day goes by that I am at someone's office and I hear someone complain about having to sit and work all day.

Employers don't want you to smoke or do other things to hurt your health....but they want you at your desk working, not up jacking around....and little do they know....it's killing you just as fast as a pack of smokes.

So many people sitting in chairs not made for 8-9 hours of use....or not knowing how to adjust them so they don't get those pains. Pretty sad to see companies not invest in a good ergonomic chair so their employee is productive and happy.

They most likely spend more time in their office chair then they do in their high end bed at home. Makes you think!!

You can avoid having ulcers by adapting to the situation: If you fall in the mud puddle, check your pockets for fish. ~Unknown

No matter how good or bad you have it, wake up each day thankful for your life. Someone somewhere else is desperately fighting for theirs.
Re: Get up, and MOVE! - Sitting at work is not good for you. [Re: Bass_Bustin_Texan] #12045042 01/17/17 05:45 PM
Okie Poke Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
I would think the sitters have just as much freedom to get up and walk their 15min break every two hours as the smokers getting up and walking behind the building for a light up. Discrimination!

😎 Dallas Cowboys....eventual Superbowl Champions 😎

Re: Get up, and MOVE! - Sitting at work is not good for you. [Re: Bass_Bustin_Texan] #12045048 01/17/17 05:47 PM
B
TFF Guru
OP Offline
TFF Guru
B
I was reading on FB about a guy who took up smoking so he could have a break too! HE said....I know, crazy...but he was trying to quit.

I know people who take their 15 mins and go walk the block a couple times. Makes sense.

Re: Get up, and MOVE! - Sitting at work is not good for you. [Re: Bass_Bustin_Texan] #12045053 01/17/17 05:49 PM
B
TFF Guru
OP Offline
TFF Guru
B
It's one thing I am thankful for with my job! I'm not stuck behind the desk all day...I may be in places less desirable like under a dirty desk laying in crickets.....but atleast this A.D.D. sucker (that's me) ain't stuck in a cubicle farm all day long. I don't think they could pay me enough to sit in one.....

I love to sell, teardown, install Cubicles though! smile

Re: Get up, and MOVE! - Sitting at work is not good for you. [Re: Bass_Bustin_Texan] #12045068 01/17/17 05:54 PM
B
TFF Guru
OP Offline
TFF Guru
B
Speaking of offices, did you know the standard office chair rating is for 250 lbs......BIFMA standard in the USA.

So many employers don't want to buy that Big/Tall chair that fits the weights of folks, one due to cost, discrimination, shared seating, style conflicts, ect......but they are liable to anyone that falls.

BUT they want you sitting down and working....which is not helping the issue at hand. Health and Happiness!

Re: Get up, and MOVE! - Sitting at work is not good for you. [Re: Bass_Bustin_Texan] #12045235 01/17/17 07:23 PM
Nocona Brian Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
I'm stuck behind a desk all day, we get two 15 minute breaks but I really never take a "break". I get an hour for lunch, and I live 10min away, so thinking I might start running 20/30 min, and that'd give me just enough time to get clean and eat, then head back.

As for chairs, the ones we get suck. I brought my own.

LIKE the TFF on Facebook - www.facebook.com/texasfishingforum
Re: Get up, and MOVE! - Sitting at work is not good for you. [Re: Bass_Bustin_Texan] #12045243 01/17/17 07:28 PM
mysticslobra Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
A few of the people I work with get up and walk on their breaks. I don't personally, but I can see how it helps stretch you out when sitting all day. Our company is starting a wellness group that has the goal of getting people more active.

Re: Get up, and MOVE! - Sitting at work is not good for you. [Re: mysticslobra] #12045270 01/17/17 07:42 PM
B
TFF Guru
OP Offline
TFF Guru
B
Originally Posted By: mysticslobra
Our company is starting a wellness group that has the goal of getting people more active.

That is what I find ironic. Sit here all day and work, but we want you to be healthy.

Re: Get up, and MOVE! - Sitting at work is not good for you. [Re: Nocona Brian] #12045276 01/17/17 07:44 PM
B
TFF Guru
OP Offline
TFF Guru
B
Originally Posted By: NoconaBrian
I'm stuck behind a desk all day, we get two 15 minute breaks but I really never take a "break". I get an hour for lunch, and I live 10min away, so thinking I might start running 20/30 min, and that'd give me just enough time to get clean and eat, then head back.

As for chairs, the ones we get suck. I brought my own.

Can you eat at your desk before lunch or after? Use the hour to run, bike, ect.

I know several who do this. 20 miles at lunch on the bike, everyday!

I don't blame you on the chair....I would do the same. Mechanics use their own tools....might as well have your own chair in your office. Some companies don't allow that tho......which is crazy!

Re: Get up, and MOVE! - Sitting at work is not good for you. [Re: Bass_Bustin_Texan] #12045296 01/17/17 07:53 PM
Nocona Brian Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
I forgot, that's what my boss, who's since moved on used to do, eat a sandwich or something, then go work out. That may be what I start doing.

I'm really struggling staying motivated like I was this time last year. I've started running a little bit, but I'm having a hard time going out to the shop and doing my cardio routine. Last year I was doing it nearly 5 nights a week.

LIKE the TFF on Facebook - www.facebook.com/texasfishingforum
Re: Get up, and MOVE! - Sitting at work is not good for you. [Re: Nocona Brian] #12045319 01/17/17 08:08 PM
Okie Poke Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
Originally Posted By: NoconaBrian
I forgot, that's what my boss, who's since moved on used to do, eat a sandwich or something, then go work out. That may be what I start doing.

I'm really struggling staying motivated like I was this time last year. I've started running a little bit, but I'm having a hard time going out to the shop and doing my cardio routine. Last year I was doing it nearly 5 nights a week.

You know what to do....gotta fight at first to get adjusted to the routine, and then each day it gets a little easier...and I mean a little! We know you can do it. Get started back, and post your results of working toward better health.

😎 Dallas Cowboys....eventual Superbowl Champions 😎

Re: Get up, and MOVE! - Sitting at work is not good for you. [Re: Bass_Bustin_Texan] #12045344 01/17/17 08:25 PM
mysticslobra Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
Originally Posted By: Bass_Bustin_Texan
Originally Posted By: mysticslobra
Our company is starting a wellness group that has the goal of getting people more active.

That is what I find ironic. Sit here all day and work, but we want you to be healthy.

I totally understand what you are saying. They could give us an hour of physical fitness time each day if they really wanted us to get healthy. Honestly, we get breaks where we can walk. Have an hour for lunch that we could go to gym and then eat at our desk. Its just the nature of the job. Some people work inside and others work outside. Both can become unhealthy. I think that most of the issue is what we choose to eat. I'm terrible with my diet. I exercise a lot as a hobby so it doesn't affect me a whole lot, but if I just went home and watched tv every night then I would likely be 250 pounds. I started to watch what I eat yesterday and so far so good, but I haven't had to make it through a weekend yet. Those are difficult for me. In the end, no matter what we can all be healthy if we make that our priority.

Re: Get up, and MOVE! - Sitting at work is not good for you. [Re: Bass_Bustin_Texan] #12045362 01/17/17 08:40 PM
buton Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
if my employer changes my hours to 7 work hours and 1 for fitness i will do it and go to the gym...working from 7 to 5 and have a normal life with kids is hard

Re: Get up, and MOVE! - Sitting at work is not good for you. [Re: buton] #12046959 01/18/17 03:56 PM
B
TFF Guru
OP Offline
TFF Guru
B
Originally Posted By: buton
if my employer changes my hours to 7 work hours and 1 for fitness i will do it and go to the gym...working from 7 to 5 and have a normal life with kids is hard

If you give time to your boss, your wife, kids, then you deserve 30 mins for yourself. It does sound a bit self centered, but without good health, you can not be what is needed....a dad and husband and bread winner. I've heard it said something like this before.

A wife should not get mad at a husband who is trying to make better for himself and the family. A dead husband at 50 isn't worth much. Tell them that....watch their facial expressions! smile

Page 1 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide