Print Thread
How long is yours #12044878 01/17/17 04:22 PM
T
Thecrankster Offline OP
Angler
OP Offline
Angler
T
How long to paint your avg. Med. Size CrankBait...I know it takes longer for some but just a ballpark avg. Start to finish

Last edited by Thecrankster; 01/17/17 04:24 PM.

"Be willing to throw where others won't and you'll catch fish others dont"

"Never caught a fish with my lure out of the water"

Re: How long is yours [Re: Thecrankster] #12044952 01/17/17 04:47 PM
B
Bradshuflin aka hunter'sdad Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
B
That's a very hard question to answer because it depends on the pattern a very basic shad pattern maybe 5 minutes probably less. Something like a detailed gill or crappie pattern 25-30 minutes. It's hard for me.to.say though because I never paint 1 bait unless it's a big glide.

Re: How long is yours [Re: Thecrankster] #12045082 01/17/17 06:00 PM
T
Thecrankster Offline OP
Angler
OP Offline
Angler
T
That's what I'm looking for just Avg.
Thanks

"Be willing to throw where others won't and you'll catch fish others dont"

"Never caught a fish with my lure out of the water"

Re: How long is yours [Re: Thecrankster] #12045281 01/17/17 07:46 PM
S
swalker9513 Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
S
It takes me a little over an hour to paint 2. I paint 2 at a time cause i can do it in a little more time than it takes to do just 1. I've tried painting more and i don't feel I get the paint quality that I'm after. It becomes more like production work and that doesn't interest me. I try to think of the crank bait as a blank canvas just like I would do with a painting on paper/canvas. I'd never have multiple canvases going at the same time painting the same thing. That approach also means that all of mine are different--no 2 will be alike. It's just the way that I do it that keeps me interested.

Re: How long is yours [Re: swalker9513] #12046575 01/18/17 01:22 PM
Bois d'arc Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
Originally Posted By: swalker9513
It takes me a little over an hour to paint 2. I paint 2 at a time cause i can do it in a little more time than it takes to do just 1....I try to think of the crank bait as a blank canvas just like I would do with a painting on paper/canvas. I'd never have multiple canvases going at the same time painting the same thing. That approach also means that all of mine are different--no 2 will be alike.

Interesting take on lure painting. Painting for profit or personal satisfaction. I like the idea of taking the time to make each pattern unique. If the primary focus is on marketing, its probably best to crank 'em out fast. If the primary focus is on the quality of artwork it takes time and patience. Swalker9513 seems to have found the intersection of both ideas. The satisfaction of putting your personal impression on a pattern and the benefit of selling your artwork for profit. clap

Re: How long is yours [Re: Thecrankster] #12046809 01/18/17 03:00 PM
S
swalker9513 Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
S
Well, maybe not for profit...maybe enough so I can keep painting and my wife doesn't put an end to it.

Re: How long is yours [Re: swalker9513] #12047315 01/18/17 06:33 PM
Bois d'arc Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
Originally Posted By: swalker9513
Well, maybe not for profit...maybe enough so I can keep painting and my wife doesn't put an end to it.

Understood...I sell these for $7.49 ea...just because I like patterns that catch fish and I enjoy painting them on my favorite lures.

I can only do about 5 of these in a day. Folks buy them faster than I can paint them, but it's not a problem. Lots of folks collect custom painted lures and don't mind waiting to get something unique.

Disclaimer: This is definitely not an attempt to shamelessly market product on the Building Baits & Pouring Plastics forum. wink

Re: How long is yours [Re: Thecrankster] #12048431 01/19/17 07:05 AM
B
Bradshuflin aka hunter'sdad Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
B
Well I honestly think we all paint baits for different reasons you 2 paint some amazing baits that imo is more like art than a fishing lure. I paint baits to use as fishing lures. I get more enjoyment out of the stories I get from customers and the photos they send me. I have been mass producing my baits to get enough money together to donate 100 custom painted baits to my local high school team you guys know what type of money is involved with building up 100 baits with top of the line hardware. We all paint for different reasons and there is nothing wrong with that imo.

Sorry I got off topic, hope the op got the info he was looking for.

Re: How long is yours [Re: Thecrankster] #12050512 01/20/17 02:36 PM
Bois d'arc Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler

This is a photo of the 2016 Kerns HS bass club and their custom painted lures. Very satisfying to see youngsters getting involved in bass fishing and related activities. Kudos to their coach for doing a great job. I totally understand Brad's commitment to helping these HS bass clubs out. If it helps get kids out from in front of their Xbox and involved in something outdoors, I'm thinking its probably a good thing. I take old lures and refurbish them for donation later in the year, usually around Christmas.

All of my custom patterns get fished, on several different lure models, and usually get one full season of bass fishing on several different lakes. If it consistently catches bass its a keeper, otherwise it gets chunked. I'm partial to the LC style lures as you can see:

Anyway, back to the subject of time spent painting one lure. I'm guessing Thecrankster would consider an LC 2.5 as a medium size blank. Not including pre paint preparation and using only 1 airbrush it usually takes about 30-45 minutes to paint a 3 color pattern. The time difference is mostly due to color changes...takes longer to switch from black to white than from blue to green paint. So the time spent on a pattern increases with the number of color changes and the amount of detail in the pattern. Also, the use of mesh and stencils are factors to consider, as is the shape of the lure blank. Some blanks are a lot harder to paint than others. For example these were pretty hard to paint due to their shape.

How much you spend on a paint pattern, like Brad said, "is a hard question to answer."

Re: How long is yours [Re: Bois d'arc] #12055888 01/23/17 07:48 PM
R
redskeeter190 Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
R
Originally Posted By: Bois d'arc

This is a photo of the 2016 Kerns HS bass club and their custom painted lures. Very satisfying to see youngsters getting involved in bass fishing and related activities. Kudos to their coach for doing a great job. I totally understand Brad's commitment to helping these HS bass clubs out. If it helps get kids out from in front of their Xbox and involved in something outdoors, I'm thinking its probably a good thing. I take old lures and refurbish them for donation later in the year, usually around Christmas.

All of my custom patterns get fished, on several different lure models, and usually get one full season of bass fishing on several different lakes. If it consistently catches bass its a keeper, otherwise it gets chunked. I'm partial to the LC style lures as you can see:

Anyway, back to the subject of time spent painting one lure. I'm guessing Thecrankster would consider an LC 2.5 as a medium size blank. Not including pre paint preparation and using only 1 airbrush it usually takes about 30-45 minutes to paint a 3 color pattern. The time difference is mostly due to color changes...takes longer to switch from black to white than from blue to green paint. So the time spent on a pattern increases with the number of color changes and the amount of detail in the pattern. Also, the use of mesh and stencils are factors to consider, as is the shape of the lure blank. Some blanks are a lot harder to paint than others. For example these were pretty hard to paint due to their shape.

How much you spend on a paint pattern, like Brad said, "is a hard question to answer."

Thanks for the kind words....when my guys saw your baits....they were in awe.....they look like $30 lures....

Last edited by redskeeter190; 01/23/17 07:49 PM.
Re: How long is yours [Re: Bois d'arc] #12055925 01/23/17 08:05 PM
S
swalker9513 Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
S
Originally Posted By: Bois d'arc
Some blanks are a lot harder to paint than others. For example these were pretty hard to paint due to their shape.

Yes, but they are awesome looking. It was well worth whatever time you put into them.

Re: How long is yours [Re: Thecrankster] #12060833 01/26/17 03:12 PM
Bois d'arc Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
Thanks to redskeeter190 for his good works on behalf of HS bass fishing. By the way, I haven't forgotten about the promised I made your team for squarebills in their favorite pattern...very busy with custom lure orders lately.

For a short while you can find my work on sale here:Custom Painted Lures

You nailed it dead on swalker9513. Cleaning and clearing factory baits is a bit messy and time consuming, but its the only way I know to get an unpainted factory issued lure for custom painting. You would think the big lure companies would be willing to sell an unpainted blank to custom painters for the same price as one of their finished ones confused.

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide