Forums59
Topics1,039,320
Posts13,962,822
Members144,199
Most Online39,925
Dec 30th, 2023
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
You Probably Wouldn't Miss the Foot Control Either - Terrova's Maiden Voyage #12042394 01/16/17 02:49 AM
S
ScottCook Offline OP
Pro Angler
OP Offline
Pro Angler
S
Took the new Terrova with iPilot Link out on it's maiden voyage this morning. It's a 24V 80# thrust with a 45" shaft, mounted to the MKA-47 bracket installed by Dave at Shut-Up-and-Fish on our 2004 Skeeter SX190 (18'5").

We've all read a bunch about Ultrex, Ulterras and Terrovas so I'll stay away from the common things that get talked about or stuff that's easy to research.

If you're down in the Granbury area and want to give the Terrova a try, let me know. We can probably work it out.

First, what I don't prefer, (not really a dislike, just not a preference) just one thing for me, I'd prefer the network and transducer cable from the motor to be as long as the foot control wire (~1-foot) so the Terrova is easier (for the way I currently have it set up) to remove. I'll be making the necessary changes to my setup to do this.

For me, there's nothing else not to like.
  • The motor is quiet
  • The steering motor is quiet
  • The steering motor is responsive from the remote
  • The remote doesn't try and fight back until the boat is going the direction you want it to go, or drift past the direction forcing you to turn it back, like the cable steer foot controller does.
  • The remote is easy to use and intuitive (for me anyways)
  • A quick bump of the L or R button on the remote and you get, I'm guessing, maybe a 2 or 3 degree turn of the motor then it stays there, you don't have to do anything.
  • Hold down the L or R button to turn it as much as you want. It stops as soon as you let go.
  • The Terrova in the MKA-47 bracket doesn't make the hard "bumping" sound from the turning torque my MK Edge made when making a hard turn when going faster
  • I can stand flatfooted or seated anywhere in the boat and have full control of the trolling motor
  • I can control the trolling motor from the Helix 10
  • You can control the speed of the motor in 1/2 steps to 10
  • You can control speed over ground (SOG) in 0.1mph increments, starting at 0.1mph.
  • Autopilot - want to make a straight run down the bank to that dock over there, just point the motor and hit autopilot, control how fast by the motor speed or SOG.
  • Follow the contour is pretty groovy and warns you if your chosen contour is 5-feet deep or less.
  • Spot lock is pretty much instantaneous from when you hit the button. The motor spins 180 and takes you right back. I hit it going about 2mph
  • Circle mode: pick a spot you want to circle, tell the Terrova how far you want to stay from that spot, how fast you want to circle that spot, and go. (Has to be linked to a Helix)
  • Depth of the motor is easier to set, just loosen the collar, move it and retighten.
  • Not having the foot control on the deck opens up the deck. I couldn't believe how much even as relatively small as a regular foot control is (1.5sqft maybe?). May not be a big deal on a bigger boat, but on a smaller one like ours, it makes a difference.
  • The foot control can be stowed in a compartment
I do not miss the foot control.

Dave adds a stow/deply assist handle that is also a big boost. I've heard the older Terrova's could be a PITA to stow, and MK added a lift assist module that helps. That said, Dave adds a larger handle that really makes it easy to stow and deploy. I do think that if one doesn't want to, or can't, bend over too far, a longer shaft would be helpful if you didn't want to shell out the extra $$ for the Ulterra.

Moritz Chevrolet - 9101 Camp Bowie W Blvd, Fort Worth, TX - Monte Coon (817) 696-2003
Re: You Probably Wouldn't Miss the Foot Control Either - Terrova's Maiden Voyage [Re: ScottCook] #12042607 01/16/17 05:22 AM
Kevin D. Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
I have very nearly the same setup with the Terrova with iPilot Link and the Helix and my boat is a ZX190. I still do use the foot control with it some, but I use the remote control more than anything. You better remember to charge that remote though. Out of everything, the only thing I DON'T like is deploying it and picking it up.

Last edited by Kevin D.; 01/16/17 05:23 AM.

Kevin D.

Every day above ground is a good day... A day on the water; even better.
Re: You Probably Wouldn't Miss the Foot Control Either - Terrova's Maiden Voyage [Re: ScottCook] #12042756 01/16/17 01:23 PM
D
Darryl Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
D
I have had mine almost a year I guess. It will definitely let you know when you have a battery problem. Started losing spot lock, and complete loss of power. I use the toe buttons more than anything on the foot pedal.

Re: You Probably Wouldn't Miss the Foot Control Either - Terrova's Maiden Voyage [Re: Kevin D.] #12042758 01/16/17 01:26 PM
TxPanhandle Offline
Angler
Angler
I use to have the Terrova and the things you all don't like about the Terrova went away when I got the Ulterra. I still think best thing about it is the remote stow and deploy and remote depth setting. Great products.

Retired to Fish
10 Skeeter ZX22 Bay
200 HP Yamaha Sho
Hummminbird Electronics
2015 GMC 2500HD
Re: You Probably Wouldn't Miss the Foot Control Either - Terrova's Maiden Voyage [Re: ScottCook] #12042882 01/16/17 02:39 PM
P
patriot07 Online Content
TFF Guru
Online Content
TFF Guru
P
Forgive me for the dumb questions - if you don't have a foot control, how do you control it? Sounds like there may be a remote? What is the difference between a remote and hand control (which most bass fishermen feel is inferior to a foot control)? Where do you store the remote when you're using both hands to fish?

Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards.
- Soren Kierkegaard
Re: You Probably Wouldn't Miss the Foot Control Either - Terrova's Maiden Voyage [Re: TxPanhandle] #12042892 01/16/17 02:47 PM
S
ScottCook Offline OP
Pro Angler
OP Offline
Pro Angler
S
Originally Posted By: TxPanhandle
I use to have the Terrova and the things you all don't like about the Terrova went away when I got the Ulterra. I still think best thing about it is the remote stow and deploy and remote depth setting. Great products.
The only thing I don't prefer, not dislike, is the length of the transducer and Ethernet cable before you get to the plug.

Re: You Probably Wouldn't Miss the Foot Control Either - Terrova's Maiden Voyage [Re: patriot07] #12042899 01/16/17 02:49 PM
S
ScottCook Offline OP
Pro Angler
OP Offline
Pro Angler
S
Originally Posted By: patriot07
Forgive me for the dumb questions - if you don't have a foot control, how do you control it? Sounds like there may be a remote? What is the difference between a remote and hand control (which most bass fishermen feel is inferior to a foot control)? Where do you store the remote when you're using both hands to fish?
A wireless remote that fits in the palm of your hand. It hangs on a lanyard either around your neck or a belt loop. Or you could put it in a pocket.

Last edited by ScottCook; 01/16/17 02:59 PM.
Re: You Probably Wouldn't Miss the Foot Control Either - Terrova's Maiden Voyage [Re: ScottCook] #12042902 01/16/17 02:50 PM
mysticslobra Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
Originally Posted By: ScottCook

Dave adds a stow/deply assist handle that is also a big boost. I've heard the older Terrova's could be a PITA to stow, and MK added a lift assist module that helps. That said, Dave adds a larger handle that really makes it easy to stow and deploy.

Where can you get one of these handles, and what does it look like? That is what I hate most about this trolling motor!

Re: You Probably Wouldn't Miss the Foot Control Either - Terrova's Maiden Voyage [Re: mysticslobra] #12042913 01/16/17 02:57 PM
S
ScottCook Offline OP
Pro Angler
OP Offline
Pro Angler
S
Originally Posted By: mysticslobra
Originally Posted By: ScottCook

Dave adds a stow/deply assist handle that is also a big boost. I've heard the older Terrova's could be a PITA to stow, and MK added a lift assist module that helps. That said, Dave adds a larger handle that really makes it easy to stow and deploy.

Where can you get one of these handles, and what does it look like? That is what I hate most about this trolling motor!
call Dave at Shut-Up-and-Fish, 972 737 8161

Re: You Probably Wouldn't Miss the Foot Control Either - Terrova's Maiden Voyage [Re: Darryl] #12042922 01/16/17 03:00 PM
S
ScottCook Offline OP
Pro Angler
OP Offline
Pro Angler
S
Originally Posted By: Darryl
I have had mine almost a year I guess. It will definitely let you know when you have a battery problem. Started losing spot lock, and complete loss of power. I use the toe buttons more than anything on the foot pedal.
The buttons are all I'd see myself using in the foot control too.

Re: You Probably Wouldn't Miss the Foot Control Either - Terrova's Maiden Voyage [Re: Kevin D.] #12042929 01/16/17 03:01 PM
S
ScottCook Offline OP
Pro Angler
OP Offline
Pro Angler
S
Originally Posted By: Kevin D.
I have very nearly the same setup with the Terrova with iPilot Link and the Helix and my boat is a ZX190. I still do use the foot control with it some, but I use the remote control more than anything. You better remember to charge that remote though. Out of everything, the only thing I DON'T like is deploying it and picking it up.
Call Dave at 972 737 8161 and get a handle.

Re: You Probably Wouldn't Miss the Foot Control Either - Terrova's Maiden Voyage [Re: ScottCook] #12046707 01/18/17 02:22 PM
S
ScottCook Offline OP
Pro Angler
OP Offline
Pro Angler
S
The handle

Re: You Probably Wouldn't Miss the Foot Control Either - Terrova's Maiden Voyage [Re: patriot07] #12046746 01/18/17 02:36 PM
Bigron119 Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler

You store the remote between your legs if you are good and use your knee pressure to push the buttons or if you have TIGHT THIGH muscles you can use them. Also used for on the water workout! roflmao Just loop the lanyard around your belt so you don't loose it when you are flipping in the bushes and need both hands.

Re: You Probably Wouldn't Miss the Foot Control Either - Terrova's Maiden Voyage [Re: Bigron119] #12046771 01/18/17 02:44 PM
Bigron119 Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
Originally Posted By: Bigron119

You store the remote between your legs if you are good and use your knee pressure to push the buttons or if you have TIGHT THIGH muscles you can use them. Also used for on the water workout! roflmao Just loop the lanyard around your belt so you don't loose it when you are flipping in the bushes and need both hands.

No Hand Control for me. I WOULD MISS the foot control. Been there done that. Loose too many fish with your hands out of position messing with the control. ESPECIALLY in cover or places requiring lots of control inputs. I have used one of the Terrova's and did not prefer the delayed reaction of the motor turning the shaft AND then the motor activating. Too much delay. Eat a cheese cracker by the time it starts to turn activate and then move. That's why most pro's don't use them.

Re: You Probably Wouldn't Miss the Foot Control Either - Terrova's Maiden Voyage [Re: Bigron119] #12046777 01/18/17 02:47 PM
Bigron119 Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler

No Hand Control for me. I WOULD MISS the foot control. Been there done that. Loose too many fish with your hands out of position messing with the control. ESPECIALLY in cover or places requiring lots of control inputs. I have used one of the Terrova's and did not prefer the delayed reaction of the motor turning the shaft AND then the motor activating. Too much delay. Eat a cheese cracker by the time it starts to turn activate and then move. That's why most pro's don't use them. Did they change the internal transducer to accept Side Scan? How do you add the cable for a Hydrowave to the rotating shaft. These are the problems I had.

Page 1 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide