Dec 30th, 2023
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Shifting Troubles #12034221 01/11/17 09:47 PM
T-racer @ Mallard Marine Offline OP
Extreme Angler
OP Offline
Extreme Angler
Man, I've about decided that luck has just turned against me all of the sudden. Truck was just in shop for transmission work last week. Starter went out on boat the next day. Was worried about some oil leaking out of lower unit earlier this week. And now finally this: was running the boat on the water hose after getting everything working properly again on it, decided to function check forward and reverse, and lo and behold it won't shift into reverse. I've spent the better part of today making sure my cable is adjusted properly, have moved it all over, and the cable isn't the issue... So I assume that leaves gears in the lower unit? Neutral works fine, forward works fine, but think I might hear a little grinding. Reverse is non existent. Is the only other thing the gears in the lower unit? And if so, does that mean an entirely new lower unit is in the works? Or is that something that is cost effective to have worked on? I believe the lower unit for my motor from SEI is 845 dollars. Any insight into my next course of action would be appreciated. Trying to do everything I can to keep it affordable, I don't have a lot to give.

Mallard Marine Nacogdoches, Tx
936-225-3244 - Authorized Sales/Service
Mercury Outboards - Allison Boats
Re: Shifting Troubles [Re: T-racer @ Mallard Marine] #12034296 01/11/17 10:19 PM
U
UJC Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
U
I have a Merc XR6 150. Recently (summer) I had throttle issues. It would only go in reverse when placed forward. This happened while docking - that was a lot of fun. Had it worked on and it was the throttle linkage under the cowling. The linkage would 'jump'. I watched as it was easily (dirty but easy) repositioned. This worked for a short while and happened again. I was able to reposition the linkage myself. Then when way in the back of Roberts, it broke. Fortunately, I had my grandson with me. As I pushed the linkage forward, he pushed the throttle forward a little bit so we were able to 6mph back to the ramp, which took awhile. This time, the whole throttle linkage was replaced. I've had no problems since. Hopefully, you issue is much the same instead of the lower unit.

Rockwall Marine was able to get me in/out and back on the water quickly.

Re: Shifting Troubles [Re: T-racer @ Mallard Marine] #12034367 01/11/17 10:48 PM
B
Bulletman99 Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
B
Do your due diligence and do a Google search for SEI reviews before buying. And I mean read all you can. Do not base your decision on a few good things when the bad may out weigh the good. I have no personnally experience with them but after reading all I could find I decided against them a few years ago when I needed a replacement lower.

Bullet 20XD
Merc 250 ProXS
Re: Shifting Troubles [Re: T-racer @ Mallard Marine] #12034855 01/12/17 02:39 AM
O
OPTI Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
O
Just a Question you said you thought oil was leaking from the gear case. Did you ever rule that out the reason I ask is if the case was leaking oil then it could have water in he case and with this very cold weather we had I have seen where a case with water in it can freeze and can push the carrier bearing housing out and if that happens you will lose reverse cause it pushes the reverse gear away from the clutch dog.Not saying that is what it is but is possibility. One other thing that can causing shifting problems on those 60 degrees loopers is the upper motor mount can be wore out causing the shift mechanism to be out of alignment or put in a bind.Just a few thoughts......OPTI

Re: Shifting Troubles [Re: T-racer @ Mallard Marine] #12035156 01/12/17 06:06 AM
Extreme Angler
OP Offline
Extreme Angler
UJC, wish it were this simple but I fear it is not. Have already worked with shift cable and also looked at throttle cable under the cowling, adjusted it, even tried manually moving it by hand. No reverse even when moved all the way back manually. Thank you though!
Bulletman, I will do some reading of reviews, see what I think. What did you end up doing to fix yours? OEM is just too expensive for me, not something I can afford as a college kid. I'm gonna have to bust my tail to even get the SEI ordered, if that's the route I go. What about a rebuild? I will be doing all labor myself to cut cost. Little easier for me to bolt up a new lower, but I could probably figure out how to do the rebuild if I had too. Maybe just replace a gear if one is worn? I will be taking the lower unit off tomorrow, try to inspect it. Guess I will go from there pending that inspection.
OPTI, some really good points in there, thanks for some great info. That first point actually might be right... I didn't fully rule out the oil leak as an issue 100%... and I did all of the sudden lose reverse right after the freeze, having had no previous problems. Would I diagnose this by disassembling my lower unit? Think that's what I'm going to do tomorrow anyways. Also as for the motor mount, I would hope it's still good, would've been replaced if bad when the power head was replaced by the previous owner this summer, but I honestly don't know. Will investigate that as well before I shell out every penny I have for a LU.

Thanks all for the insight, absolutely love this forum.

Re: Shifting Troubles [Re: T-racer @ Mallard Marine] #12035227 01/12/17 11:53 AM
B
Bulletman99 Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
B
Originally Posted By: T-racer
UJC, wish it were this simple but I fear it is not. Have already worked with shift cable and also looked at throttle cable under the cowling, adjusted it, even tried manually moving it by hand. No reverse even when moved all the way back manually. Thank you though!
Bulletman, I will do some reading of reviews, see what I think. What did you end up doing to fix yours? OEM is just too expensive for me, not something I can afford as a college kid. I'm gonna have to bust my tail to even get the SEI ordered, if that's the route I go. What about a rebuild? I will be doing all labor myself to cut cost. Little easier for me to bolt up a new lower, but I could probably figure out how to do the rebuild if I had too. Maybe just replace a gear if one is worn? I will be taking the lower unit off tomorrow, try to inspect it. Guess I will go from there pending that inspection.
OPTI, some really good points in there, thanks for some great info. That first point actually might be right... I didn't fully rule out the oil leak as an issue 100%... and I did all of the sudden lose reverse right after the freeze, having had no previous problems. Would I diagnose this by disassembling my lower unit? Think that's what I'm going to do tomorrow anyways. Also as for the motor mount, I would hope it's still good, would've been replaced if bad when the power head was replaced by the previous owner this summer, but I honestly don't know. Will investigate that as well before I shell out every penny I have for a LU.

Thanks all for the insight, absolutely love this forum.

I bought a used rebuilt and modified Torque master. There are plenty of used ones out there. Check Bass Boat Central.

Rebuilding a lower although not that hard requires many special tools that are expensive to buy and very hard to borrow even if you can find someone that has them.

Last edited by Bulletman99; 01/12/17 11:56 AM.

Bullet 20XD
Merc 250 ProXS
Re: Shifting Troubles [Re: T-racer @ Mallard Marine] #12035316 01/12/17 01:25 PM
gary purdy Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
If this lower is off of the 175 Johnson in your signature, lots of good used lowers out there. 20in. standard rotation 150-175-200 OMC, Johnson and Evinrude lowers from the 80`s up will work with a shift shaft change

The world will not be destroyed by those who do evil, but by those who watch them without doing anything. Remember what He has done and remember that He is not done yet!-- GOD IS GOOD
Re: Shifting Troubles [Re: T-racer @ Mallard Marine] #12035352 01/12/17 01:57 PM
O
OPTI Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
O
Check gear lube for water if it has possible freeze damage. OPTI

Re: Shifting Troubles [Re: T-racer @ Mallard Marine] #12035646 01/12/17 04:24 PM
Extreme Angler
OP Offline
Extreme Angler
Bulletman, I will head over to BBC and see what I can cook up. Didn't realize special tools were needed so that will make a rebuild hard! Thank ya sir.
Gary, that is good to hear, will probably start the hunt for a new one this afternoon, pending what I see when I inspect the current lower a little more. Thanks.
Opti, will drain it this afternoon, will update.

Re: Shifting Troubles [Re: T-racer @ Mallard Marine] #12036440 01/12/17 11:24 PM
Extreme Angler
OP Offline
Extreme Angler
To update... Just took the lower off, took out the drain screw... straight water. Barely even a drop of oil. Literally just pure water. I'm sure the lower is toast. Looking in behind my prop shaft, it almost looks like something is cracked back there, like maybe the motor hit something at some point in its life. I have only owned the boat for a few months. Think the lower is a lost cause. Time for a new one. Will start the hunt. I see Angler's Marine in the Buy, sell, trade selling lowers, anybody bought one and have any feedback about his? Will also look around forums and such for a used one. Thanks fellas.

Re: Shifting Troubles [Re: T-racer @ Mallard Marine] #12036489 01/13/17 12:18 AM
O
OPTI Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
O
Well that is what happened froze and cracked the bearing carrier have it tore down and have it inspected could be just a carrier seal kit if the bearings and gears are not damaged by water and shafts are not marred with wate rust spots really depends on how long water was in the case......OPTI

Re: Shifting Troubles [Re: T-racer @ Mallard Marine] #12036879 01/13/17 03:42 AM
F
fishing trucker Offline
Green Horn
Green Horn
F
I've read the threads here and want to throw my issue in the mix. I have an I/O Mercruiser 305 with a broken throttle cable. It will go in reverse, not forward. I bought the part kit, all the lower unit gaskets and the cable to replace it. Had someone lined up to do the work for me, but he flaked out. The shop wants more than I can afford for the job. I understand the cost is all labor, it is a hard job. But I just can't afford it. Any ideas where or who could do this work that a retired woman on SS could afford? I love my boat and really want to get back on the water!

Re: Shifting Troubles [Re: T-racer @ Mallard Marine] #12037096 01/13/17 12:15 PM
gary purdy Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
Your hiding your location so No

The world will not be destroyed by those who do evil, but by those who watch them without doing anything. Remember what He has done and remember that He is not done yet!-- GOD IS GOOD
Re: Shifting Troubles [Re: T-racer @ Mallard Marine] #12037347 01/13/17 02:56 PM
F
fishing trucker Offline
Green Horn
Green Horn
F
I did not even realize I was hiding my location! Goodness, don't jump a girl before you at least tell me what I did wrong. I live in Tool, on ,cedar Creek Lake.

Re: Shifting Troubles [Re: T-racer @ Mallard Marine] #12037417 01/13/17 03:39 PM
S
spankyttx Online Content
Extreme Angler
Online Content
Extreme Angler
S
lol

LI-SI-WI-NWI
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread