868731 Topics
11399170 Posts

Max Online: 36273 @ 01/23/13 02:34 PM
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#12030196 - 01/09/17 03:52 PM Re: trot lines [Re: Texasdeepv]
clinton_c Offline
Outdoorsman

Yall still make your own main line and stagings or use the clips and prepared trotlines? I may be old school but my uncles taught me how to tie up the main line loops and stagings long before they started selling hook clips and prepared lines at Walmart and I still prefer to do it all my self.

#12030309 - 01/09/17 04:52 PM Re: trot lines [Re: Texasdeepv]
snowyriver6 Offline
Extreme Angler

Loc: austin
yea, lets go catch some big'uns some weekend. I never bought any store bought trotlines, always made'em up. But I did use the clips. My brother ruined me on trotlines. He likes to set the jug on your mainline couple of feet underwater. Then when you go run the line you have to lean way over to try to get it . i'm afraid somebody is gonna fall out of the boat, and if you do you'll get tangles up in the hooks. no more trotlines for me. I'll use jugs, I like them better anyway.

#12030349 - 01/09/17 05:16 PM Re: trot lines [Re: snowyriver6]
clinton_c Offline
Outdoorsman

Any time lets get em!!

#12031589 - 01/10/17 09:35 AM Re: trot lines [Re: Texasdeepv]
Big Zee Offline
Extreme Angler

Loc: East Yegua
I make my own trotlines also. I have two trees in the back yard that is just the right distance apart. Some of those store bought trotlines don't have the line as big as I like. Plus I like the line that is treated so they don't rot as easy. I also use the clips so you can take the hooks off and replace them if the cat swallows the hook. I also have cleats on my boat that I can set the trotline in and run it with out hanging over the boat. But honestly, I've gotten to were I run jugs more then trotlines.
Psalm 16:11

#12032690 - 01/10/17 08:01 PM Re: trot lines [Re: Texasdeepv]
snowyriver6 Offline
Extreme Angler

Loc: austin
The mainline on the store bought is what I used for leader line. but jugs are easier and you can scatter them in different spots and see where you have the best luck at. I mainly just rod and reel fish . You may not catch as many but it is sure fun to bring in a big one. Then kiss it and put it back

#12032755 - 01/10/17 08:28 PM Re: trot lines [Re: snowyriver6]
Poboy K. Offline
Outdoorsman

Loc: DFW area...( can walk to Lake ...
I have done both, but this is what I typically do:

I buy a floating trotline. I rig it up with the cheap little crappy hooks they come with when I set it out.That way, if I happen to set it over a fallen tree, I can straighten out a hook or break a leader. Once set, I change out the hooks and leaders. If I do have a snag setting out the main line, I simply leave that hook and one on each side of it off.

The trotlines I use have barrel swivels and are locked in place by moulded plastic beads. It only takes a second to replace hooks on those swivels and usually, I just cut the leaders when landing fish.

This has another advantage. It chronicles where the fish was caught. Hard to do as you are running down a 50 hook trotline...

Also, when running channel cat lines, I typically use 3 different baits. It's easy to stagger those baiting out, but if I didn't cut that leader, might be hard to figure out exactly which bait that fish hit.

#12033453 - 01/11/17 08:41 AM Re: trot lines [Re: Texasdeepv]
Big Zee Offline
Extreme Angler

I have built a few trotlines for some guys with the plastic beads and barrel swivels. I actually use that set up for what we call double hook throw lines. Main line about 15 ft to 20 ft with 2 hooks and weighted on bottom. I place one hook about 3 ft off bottom and the other hook about 4 ft from the top. Then tie it to a good green tree limb or young tree against the bank. Works great for yellow cats on the river.

I never used the floating line. How does that work for you? Oh, most of the time I use those trotline brass brads instead of the plastic beads. For me they are easier to find then the beads. You know I figure making your own trotlines is becoming a lost art. But with the hand made ones you seem to get better quality trotlines. I like to set them in the spring and summer, but like I said before, I'm using jug lines more and more the older I get. cheers

Good idea about using the cheap hooks. Those big hooks we use get expensive.

Edited by Big Zee (01/11/17 08:44 AM)

#12033661 - 01/11/17 10:16 AM Re: trot lines [Re: Big Zee]
clinton_c Offline
Outdoorsman

cheers

#12037891 - 01/13/17 02:10 PM Re: trot lines [Re: Texasdeepv]
South Tex Fish Offline
Angler

Loc: Falls City
Someone said only 2 Trotlines per person. The only limit of number of lines is 1 in saltwater only. In fresh water you can have as many as you want, as long as your under the 50 per line and 100 hooks total. I use shorter trot lines (10-15 hooks) for rivers and shorter expanses.

Twin 8lb 10oz Green Trash Fish- Choke Canyon

#12037975 - 01/13/17 03:19 PM Re: trot lines [Re: Texasdeepv]
pyleofcats Offline
Outdoorsman

I have the "old timers way" of setting lines all typed out. Send me a PM with your email and I can send it to you. Might be Monday before I do so. The secret to trotlines is location and how you tie your leaders/stagings. If you do it right and in the right area, the only bait you need is spit.

#12038441 - 01/13/17 09:08 PM Re: trot lines [Re: Texasdeepv]
Texasdeepv Offline
Outdoorsman

Loc: Temple TX
after reading all of your posts.... im clueless in this game. smile

#12038897 - 01/14/17 09:19 AM Re: trot lines [Re: Texasdeepv]
Catfish Lynn Offline
Extreme Angler

Loc: Bryan, Texas
Interesting! I looked back & that is one I had not noticed that they either changed or accidently dropped- Freshwater used to have a limit of 2. But current regs (the booklet 2016-2017) do not mention it. It does however mention only one per person in saltwater. This is why it is so great to have a forum, for everybody's input. We assist each other.

As for me on the river, such as the Trinity River (fair wide one), I would run the trotline of 35 to 36 hooks at a diagonal slant. If the river was up, I would run them lengthwise just off the bank.

#12038927 - 01/14/17 09:38 AM Re: trot lines [Re: Texasdeepv]
Catfish Lynn Offline
Extreme Angler

As for the trotlines & juglines & throwlines, I make my own. I basically have two styles for trotlines- SW & BW (Shallow Water & Big Water aka Deep Water). The reason they are different, is that the SW lines connect to some type of stump or limbs, lake or river (or even a wooden pole on a river). But the BW lines are used out on the main lake in no less than 14 feet deep (best at 20'+) and are called my "Planter" trotlines. I set up special apparatus along with 60 to 72# concrete anchor buckets (3.5 gallon) on each end. I usually have 20 to 30 feet of empty line from the anchor line to the first hook. You do not want a big fish to tangle into the anchor lines. One area I normally "plant" them in is about 35' deep. And when you drop the anchor & it is sailing towards the bottom, you make sure your limbs are out of the way of the 1/4 nylon braided anchor line, as it could literally take you over the side & deep down under. Always have on your hunting knife & a pocket knife in your pants pocket. But when it smacks the bottom, it literally "plants" itself & creates an imprint that will be very hard to move out of place. You can use smaller buckets, but with not as good as "planting" ability. The really fun part is retrieving the anchors. Yes, I do that. I get a good workout.

#12039233 - 01/14/17 12:32 PM Re: trot lines [Re: Texasdeepv]
Big Zee Offline
Extreme Angler

Do you tie a jug or float to your planter line then have your trotline set to the planter line?

#12040290 - 01/15/17 12:24 AM Re: trot lines [Re: Texasdeepv]
Catfish Lynn Offline
Extreme Angler

The Planter incorporates the anchor line, which is separate of the main line. Two fender floats are at the top- one is 18" to 24", which is the main float for the anchor line. The other is the drop line float, about 18" to 12". And yet a 3rd float can be used. It is attached to either of the other two floats with about an extra 4 feet of 1/4" braided nylon rope. What is it for? It is in case the lake jumps up a few feet. If the anchors stay planted, and the lake rises too much, the floats will rest just below the surface (if the 3rd is not there) and any boat will or could mow them (puncture & sink). If only two are used, it is possible to lose access to that anchor. Luckily, having a set for each side increases your chance of still being able to access the remaining intact side. Of course, should the lake jump up & the floats (using 2 per side), you may not be able to find them. And while circling, you might even mow them. You can use a GPS marker to record your coordinates. But even that does not always guarantee it. By having the 3rd float on each side, unless the lake has jumped up, it rests on its side & is more visible. And if it does jump up, you have the 4' of rope, about a foot for one of the two floats, and almost a foot of the 3rd float before there is a problem.

I use a simple but special slider that connects the two. When everything is set out properly, the drop line float acts as a pointer & faces directly to the opposite side (like a pointer). And is angled down diagonally, which signals that your "Planter" is set correct & in perfect order.

I came up with the idea back in the early 1980s & went by & talked to a Game Warden to see if it might be legal. He thought it was a neat design & said he did not think there was any problem as to it being illegal. I hope to have a full chapter on revealing its full designs & how it operates. I will also share details for those who cannot handle a 60 to 72# weight. There are methods of using 2 gallon & one gallon buckets, but there are drawbacks. Everything is a compromise. In it, whenever I can find the time, I will details the ups & downs of whichever of the 3 are used (1-> 3.5 gallon, 2-> 2 gallon, 3 -> 1 gallon).

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

© 1998-2016 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide