Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
trot lines #12026683 01/08/17 01:32 AM
T
Texasdeepv Offline OP
Angler
OP Offline
Angler
T
Hello all, I want to get into catfishing again now and then and was wondering about setting trot lines. I know (well i think) the law is no more than 5 hooks per line etc but is there anything else i need to be concerned with as far as bait etc? Also i don't see trot line "jugs" like i used to. Are folks still using old bleach/milk jugs? Oh, also, I'm assuming a name and number must be on the gear?

thanks for any info you can provide.

Wet Rooster Jigs Fishing Super Store
Re: trot lines [Re: Texasdeepv] #12026861 01/08/17 03:06 AM
J
jbobo Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
J

22 ft. Wellcraft Deep V CC
817-220-2312
www.bobosthumper.com
Re: trot lines [Re: jbobo] #12026906 01/08/17 03:27 AM
S
snowyriver6 Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
S
Trot line can be max 300 ft long, one hook every 3 foot, total of 100 hooks. Shad is always the best bait

Last edited by snowyriver6; 01/09/17 06:33 AM.
Re: trot lines [Re: snowyriver6] #12026920 01/08/17 03:33 AM
T
Texasdeepv Offline OP
Angler
OP Offline
Angler
T
Originally Posted By: snowyriver6
Trot line can be max 300 ft long, one hook every 3 foot, total of 300 hooks. Shad is always the best bait

thanks!

Re: trot lines [Re: Texasdeepv] #12026953 01/08/17 03:55 AM
K
kodys'papa Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
K
Regs quoted by jo bo said max of 50 hooks... noidea

Hooking a fish is like playing string with a cat. The exact size, shape, color of string matters less than how you wiggle it- and little cats are easier to fool than big ones. John Gierach
Re: trot lines [Re: kodys'papa] #12027180 01/08/17 01:34 PM
T
TCK73 Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
T
Originally Posted By: kodys'papa
Regs quoted by jo bo said max of 50 hooks... noidea

Yep, and you are only allowed 100 hooks total for all devices. So, if you have two 50 hook lines out, that means no rod and reel fishing.

Re: trot lines [Re: Texasdeepv] #12027425 01/08/17 04:18 PM
B
Big Zee Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
B
Always check the regs each August. Every year there seems to be new changes in the law. Wal Mart or Academy in Temple should have the regulations book. If in doubt on the reading. The game warden office in Temple will help you in anyway. They are great folks there. No disrespect to anyone here on this forum, but I find it best to go ask the people who will be asking you to sign on the line for wrong info given. Ask the Game Wardens for this info. Plus, Jbo gave the web page for the regs but I always like to have the book in the boat with me along with my cell phone has a copy of the regs saved in it.

Last edited by Big Zee; 01/08/17 04:33 PM.

Hebrews 11:1
Re: trot lines [Re: Big Zee] #12027555 01/08/17 05:27 PM
T
TCK73 Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
T
TPWD has an app you can get that is basically that book. It is handy when you hunt and fish all over the state.

Re: trot lines [Re: Texasdeepv] #12027633 01/08/17 06:14 PM
C
Catfish Lynn Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
C
I have two copies of the regulations running around, but ... hang on ... OK, got one in my hands now- TP&W 2016-2017 (current rules). As to the 300 hooks above, I did not even see that amount in salt water trotlines. In freshwater, trotlines cannot have more than 50 hooks each. And each person is limited to 2 trotlines max. So as one noted above, if you set two out with 50 hooks each, you have no spare hooks for juglines, throwlines, or rod-n-reeling.

What I do, is make up 36 hook trotlines. They total 72, which leaves you 28 available hooks. If I go 5 hooks per jugline, then I make up 5 (totaling 25 more). That leaves me 3 hooks available for rod-n-reel, etc. Or I could go 4 hooks each at 7 jugs, but no more hooks available, or 6 jugs & leaving 4 open.

Nowadays, your juglines, trotlines, and throwlines, as well as single bottles (juglines) must be labeled with your name & other data, as well as date set out. If a Game Warden took note (by memory or jotted down notes), they may realize you are out of hooks, if they catch you fishing by rod-n-reel, thus you are over the limit & get fined. So it is best to keep tabs on what you have out & go just below the 100 hook limit to play safe.

It is best to review the rules (even twice), be it by the printed guide, online, or the App as one suggested. Ignorance is no longer an excuse to get out of getting fined. If in doubt, ask a Game Warden. They are the interpreters of the law. Sometimes the wording may cause one to wonder about an item. But by asking, you get clear clarification.

For instance, the gear tag on each end of trotlines within the first hook has a little leeway. You can use a jug or float, marked with all of the information on each of the line to take the place of the required tag & its placement. It used to not state that in the regulation book. I was putting tags on both ends of trotlines & even one on my throwlines, when the rule first came out of having one only on trotlines. I talked to a Game Warden on the Trinity River about that new ruling & he explained the benefits of 2 on a trotline & one on a jugline. It helped him to catch people running your lines & do something about it, as he could prove it was not their line due to the ID tag. I agreed & was on board with that idea.

Lynn
aka "Catfish"
Re: trot lines [Re: snowyriver6] #12027666 01/08/17 06:29 PM
P
Poboy K. Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
P
Trot line can be max 300 ft long, one hook every 3 foot, total of 300 hooks. Shad is always the best bait

DO NOT PASS GO....DO NOT COLLECT $200.... What in the wide world of sports are you talking about???? Please consult TPWD rules before advising!

Re: trot lines [Re: Catfish Lynn] #12027670 01/08/17 06:30 PM
T
Texasdeepv Offline OP
Angler
OP Offline
Angler
T
Originally Posted By: Catfish Lynn
I have two copies of the regulations running around, but ... hang on ... OK, got one in my hands now- TP&W 2016-2017 (current rules). As to the 300 hooks above, I did not even see that amount in salt water trotlines. In freshwater, trotlines cannot have more than 50 hooks each. And each person is limited to 2 trotlines max. So as one noted above, if you set two out with 50 hooks each, you have no spare hooks for juglines, throwlines, or rod-n-reeling.

What I do, is make up 36 hook trotlines. They total 72, which leaves you 28 available hooks. If I go 5 hooks per jugline, then I make up 5 (totaling 25 more). That leaves me 3 hooks available for rod-n-reel, etc. Or I could go 4 hooks each at 7 jugs, but no more hooks available, or 6 jugs & leaving 4 open.

Nowadays, your juglines, trotlines, and throwlines, as well as single bottles (juglines) must be labeled with your name & other data, as well as date set out. If a Game Warden took note (by memory or jotted down notes), they may realize you are out of hooks, if they catch you fishing by rod-n-reel, thus you are over the limit & get fined. So it is best to keep tabs on what you have out & go just below the 100 hook limit to play safe.

It is best to review the rules (even twice), be it by the printed guide, online, or the App as one suggested. Ignorance is no longer an excuse to get out of getting fined. If in doubt, ask a Game Warden. They are the interpreters of the law. Sometimes the wording may cause one to wonder about an item. But by asking, you get clear clarification.

For instance, the gear tag on each end of trotlines within the first hook has a little leeway. You can use a jug or float, marked with all of the information on each of the line to take the place of the required tag & its placement. It used to not state that in the regulation book. I was putting tags on both ends of trotlines & even one on my throwlines, when the rule first came out of having one only on trotlines. I talked to a Game Warden on the Trinity River about that new ruling & he explained the benefits of 2 on a trotline & one on a jugline. It helped him to catch people running your lines & do something about it, as he could prove it was not their line due to the ID tag. I agreed & was on board with that idea.

lots of great information!! thank you!

Re: trot lines [Re: Catfish Lynn] #12027684 01/08/17 06:37 PM
P
Poboy K. Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
P
Originally Posted By: Catfish Lynn

I have a little different approach. I use 50 hook trotlines (2)... I use a jug and a weight on the first swivel, one in the middle , and one on the end swivel. That gives me a 6 hook cushion to fish for bait.

Remember, too, the law is not how many hooks you possess, but actually try to use to harvest fish.

Re: trot lines [Re: Big Zee] #12027696 01/08/17 06:42 PM
P
Poboy K. Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
P
Originally Posted By: Big Zee
Always check the regs each August. Every year there seems to be new changes in the law. Wal Mart or Academy in Temple should have the regulations book. If in doubt on the reading. The game warden office in Temple will help you in anyway. They are great folks there. No disrespect to anyone here on this forum, but I find it best to go ask the people who will be asking you to sign on the line for wrong info given. Ask the Game Wardens for this info. Plus, Jbo gave the web page for the regs but I always like to have the book in the boat with me along with my cell phone has a copy of the regs saved in it.

Let me tell you something....and this is great. I used to read that dadgumn thing cover to cover to make sure nothing changed.

They have finally done what I was wishing for for years a 'New for such and such year". If you know your regs, that's really all you need to know!

Re: trot lines [Re: Texasdeepv] #12029009 01/09/17 06:38 AM
S
snowyriver6 Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
S
Sorry that was a mis type on 300 hooks, meant 100. but now I hear a 50 hook trotline is the limit? They must have chnaged the law, it used to be 100 hooks when I set out trotlines. I dont set them out anymore, I think they are too dangerous. I'd rather set out jug lines instead.

Re: trot lines [Re: snowyriver6] #12029302 01/09/17 03:04 PM
B
Big Zee Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
B
Sorry that was a mis type on 300 hooks, meant 100. but now I hear a 50 hook trotline is the limit? They must have chnaged the law, it used to be 100 hooks when I set out trotlines. I dont set them out anymore, I think they are too dangerous. I'd rather set out jug lines instead.

I knew you knew the law, I figured you just had one of those finger slip moments. That's what happens when your catching all those fish you been catching. Well have to get together one day soon and catch some cats.

Hebrews 11:1
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide