Forum Statistics
Forums59
Topics1,038,972
Posts13,956,678
Members144,184
Most Online39,925
Dec 30th, 2023
Print Thread
Remember the report of the fish kill at Fork?-here is the final answer and you #12024999 01/07/17 12:09 AM
Bruce Allen Offline OP
TFF Team Angler
OP Offline
TFF Team Angler
are not going to like it:

Do any of you remember several months back when there were some complaints of a fish kill near Oak Ridge?

A bunch of fish were piled up on a bank. A mix of different species.

When I asked Kevin Storey what he knew he said it was (he) fish that they (TPWD) electro shocked so that the US Fish & Wildlife Service could do an experiment on each of them and of course none survived.

Then the fish were not allowed to be dumped back in the lake or thrown in a dumpster. So they put them on the bank so nature would benefit.

So here is the story and results of the tests:

From President LFSA C. West: I received a message from Kevin Storey with Texas Parks and Wildlife. He wanted us to know that TPWD had results from the US Fish & Wildlife Service concerning the survey work they did on Lake Fork on November 2. The only pathogen they found was Largemouth Bass Virus (LMBV). Although that virus was responsible for the fish kill on Lake Fork in 1999, there has never been a recurrence at Fork or anywhere else that has experienced a fish kill. He imagines the immediate reaction from some people when they hear Lake Fork still has LMBV is to fear the worst. There is sufficient evidence that bass develop LMBV antibodies which provide immunity to the virus which accounts for its presence at low frequencies. He has posted a news release on TPWD's Facebook page and he wanted to share it with you since LFSA members have a vested interest in knowing whats going on at Lake Fork. If you have additional concerns and would like Kevin or someone from TPWD to visit with us at a meeting, let me know and we can arrange that.

From me: Ok so now you know that it is still here and also probably in the other 22 lakes where there were fish kills in 1999 & 2000 and have not happened since.

Even though several colleges have and are studying it no cures have been found that I have read.

Just my opinion but I believe that this is something that is cyclic. Happens every so many years and since no one that I know of has written or observed it happening in the past I would guess that it is many many years between occurrences.

Before I moved to Texas I did an article on pfisteria. A virus that occurs in saltwater fish and only happens every fifty years or so. That is why I think this may be the same deal.

Just thought you would want to know.

See ya,

Bruce

Last edited by Bruce Allen; 01/07/17 12:10 AM.

Lake Fork Anglers
Every Thursday
Daytime Tournaments.

Lake Fork Sportsman's Association
www.lakeforksa.com/

We are VERY PROUD of our Induction into the
Texas Freshwater Fishing Hall of Fame.

Moritz Chevrolet - 9101 Camp Bowie W Blvd, Fort Worth, TX - Monte Coon (817) 696-2003
Re: Remember the report of the fish kill at Fork?-here is the final answer and you [Re: Bruce Allen] #12025139 01/07/17 01:29 AM
J
Jeezy Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
J
It makes total sense that the virus would still be there. Thanks for the update.

“The more you know about Donald Trump, the less likely you are to vote for him. The more you know about his business enterprises, the less successful he looks. The more you know about his political giving, the less Republican he looks.” - Lindsey Graham, 2016
Re: Remember the report of the fish kill at Fork?-here is the final answer and you [Re: Bruce Allen] #12025288 01/07/17 02:56 AM
D
Dubee Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
D
Whats not to like?

Re: Remember the report of the fish kill at Fork?-here is the final answer and you [Re: Bruce Allen] #12025303 01/07/17 03:04 AM
B
Bassin Fever Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
B
Looks like with all of our modern testing someone far smarter than I could figure out what causes LFSA and also how to stop Golden Algae from killing fish. I'm glad that TPWD are testing for both. I feel we individual fishermen are all thankful we have the fishery resource to enjoy and I would say that most do their part in keeping their boats drained and clean live wells and such to keep bad things happening to other lakes.
Thanks Bruce for finding out and posting this.

Re: Remember the report of the fish kill at Fork?-here is the final answer and you [Re: Bruce Allen] #12026402 01/07/17 09:31 PM
B
Bulletman99 Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
B
I am no expert on the subject but its still a mystery to me that the big fish kill on Fork coincided with TP&Ws efforts to kill hydrilla and water lily's along with other vegetation. Many locals claim that they flew over the lake at night and dropped a pelletized herbicide and within days started seeing the floating fish. A guy at J & J Marine was on the lake that night and collected a small jar full of this stuff that rained down inside his boat. This jar sits on the counter at J & J (at least it was a couple years ago when I was told the story).

Bullet 20XD
Merc 250 ProXS
Re: Remember the report of the fish kill at Fork?-here is the final answer and you [Re: Bruce Allen] #12026404 01/07/17 09:32 PM
B
Bulletman99 Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
B
I am no expert on the subject but its still a mystery to me that the big fish kill on Fork coincided with TP&Ws efforts to kill hydrilla and water lily's along with other vegetation. Many locals claim that they flew over the lake at night and dropped a pelletized herbicide and within days started seeing the floating fish. A guy at J & J Marine was on the lake that night and collected a small jar full of this stuff that rained down inside his boat. This jar sits on the counter at J & J (at least it was a couple years ago when I was told the story).

Bullet 20XD
Merc 250 ProXS
Re: Remember the report of the fish kill at Fork?-here is the final answer and you [Re: Bruce Allen] #12026610 01/08/17 12:28 AM
Bruce Allen Offline OP
TFF Team Angler
OP Offline
TFF Team Angler
Bulletman, and I suppose that they also flew over the other 20 some lakes involved in ten other states too?

Lake Fork Anglers
Every Thursday
Daytime Tournaments.

www.lakeforksa.com/

Re: Remember the report of the fish kill at Fork?-here is the final answer and you [Re: Bruce Allen] #12026643 01/08/17 12:56 AM
B
bradnitro175 Online Content
TFF Celebrity
Online Content
TFF Celebrity
B
Tldr

Originally Posted by Trickster
BIG FAT BASS LIVES MATTER

Re: Remember the report of the fish kill at Fork?-here is the final answer and you [Re: Bulletman99] #12026761 01/08/17 02:24 AM
LakeForkLodge Online Content
Extreme Angler
Online Content
Extreme Angler
Originally Posted By: Bulletman99

This is as true as all the 20lb rumors that came up every year back in the day.

---TFF Lodging Discounts--- Check Plugs and Announcements

Like us on Facebook for discounts on lodging and guide trips
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Lake-Fork-Lodge/337503322402
903-473-7236 www.lakeforklodge.com
Re: Remember the report of the fish kill at Fork?-here is the final answer and you [Re: Bruce Allen] #12027648 01/08/17 06:21 PM
B
Bulletman99 Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
B
[quote=Bruce Allen]Bulletman, and I suppose that they also flew over the other 20 some lakes involved in ten other states too?
[/quote)

As I said I am no expert on the subject and just relayed a story I heard from people who are on Fork daily. But to answer you question I would think that since TP&W are responsible for those other lakes you spoke of. Isn't it possible they used this same stuff there as well?

Bullet 20XD
Merc 250 ProXS
Re: Remember the report of the fish kill at Fork?-here is the final answer and you [Re: Bruce Allen] #12028645 01/09/17 01:46 AM
Bruce Allen Offline OP
TFF Team Angler
OP Offline
TFF Team Angler
TPWD is not responsible for lakes in 10 other states. Mississippi got hit the hardest.

Lake Fork Anglers
Every Thursday
Daytime Tournaments.

www.lakeforksa.com/

Re: Remember the report of the fish kill at Fork?-here is the final answer and you [Re: Bulletman99] #12028746 01/09/17 02:48 AM
D
Dubee Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
D
Originally Posted By: Bulletman99

Really

Re: Remember the report of the fish kill at Fork?-here is the final answer and you [Re: Bruce Allen] #12028876 01/09/17 03:48 AM
B
Bulletman99 Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
B
You guys act as though I started the d*** rumor. I said that's what I "heard" from a Fork local. Go to J & J and jump their a**! But by the way take a look at this link.

http://www.bassresource.com/fish_biology/Largemouth_bass_virus_chemicals.html

Last edited by Bulletman99; 01/09/17 04:33 AM.

Bullet 20XD
Merc 250 ProXS
Re: Remember the report of the fish kill at Fork?-here is the final answer and you [Re: Bruce Allen] #12030436 01/10/17 12:17 AM
Bruce Allen Offline OP
TFF Team Angler
OP Offline
TFF Team Angler
like in the article what I am guessing happened is what they are guessing happened and bass fisherman WILL ALWAYS BLAME it on spraying. It's in our nature to do so.

Last edited by Bruce Allen; 01/10/17 12:18 AM.

Lake Fork Anglers
Every Thursday
Daytime Tournaments.

www.lakeforksa.com/

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide