Page 1 of 2 1 2
Leaders? #12022726 01/05/17 11:33 PM
S
Smurfs Offline OP
TFF Celebrity
OP Offline
TFF Celebrity
S
Cheapest place to buy leaders, what say you?
Thanks

Re: Leaders? [Re: Smurfs] #12022770 01/05/17 11:45 PM
M
MassAction Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
M
Cheapest by far... buy mono / fluorocarbon in bulk and tie your own.

Other than that, keep your eye open for closeouts and buy in bulk. Orvis has some on sale now.

Re: Leaders? [Re: MassAction] #12022806 01/06/17 12:00 AM
F
fshng84 Online Content
TFF Celebrity
Online Content
TFF Celebrity
F
Originally Posted By: MassAction
Cheapest by far... buy mono / fluorocarbon in bulk and tie your own.

Other than that, keep your eye open for closeouts and buy in bulk. Orvis has some on sale now.

Agree with MassAction!

Been using this for Trout... 30lbs mono for a 36" butt section, 17lbs mono for an 18" mid section, 12lbs mono for an 18" fwd section, and then 4lbs mono for an 18" tippet. Makes a 7-1/2' leader. If I want it longer will increase each length proportionally to get the overall length wanted.

For Striped Bass on Clousers, 30lbs mono for a 60" butt section and then 17lbs mono for a 48" fwd section... no tippet, just tie the Clouser directly to the 17lbs mono. Comes to 9' and works with a 11' Switch Rod as well as a 9' 5wt Fly Rod.

Knots used - Perfection Loop for the butt end, then Uniknots for the rest... easier to tie than blood knots.

Will use knot-less tapered leader bought on sale; but, mainly in the Spring when the Cottonwood trees start clobbering the local ponds with "cotton" which gravitate to any knot on a leader.

Last edited by fshng84; 01/06/17 12:02 AM.
Re: Leaders? [Re: Smurfs] #12023106 01/06/17 02:22 AM
R
Robert Hunter Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
R
Happy new year smurfs! If you don't want to go through the trouble of tying a bunch of uni knots. Just get cheap scientific anglers mono tapered leaders at 7 1/2 foot a line class above what you want and add an invisix florocarbon tippet. The mono works great to absorb shock from hook set. Invisix 8lb plus rio floroflex under 8 yes the rio under 8lb is a bit steep but it is the strongest most supple under 8 get to 8lb invisix hands down. 200 not 30 yards for 20$ for invisix. Hands down best heavier floro on the market.

[Linked Image] [Linked Image] [url=https://postimages.org/][img]https://i.postimg.cc/bsQJFvLj/
Re: Leaders? [Re: Smurfs] #12023121 01/06/17 02:28 AM
K
karstopo Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
K
http://www.sierratradingpost.com/fishing~d~14/

This online site usually has deals on leaders, tippet and butt material.

Re: Leaders? [Re: Robert Hunter] #12023816 01/06/17 03:05 PM
S
Smurfs Offline OP
TFF Celebrity
OP Offline
TFF Celebrity
S
Originally Posted By: robert hunter
Happy new year smurfs! If you don't want to go through the trouble of tying a bunch of uni knots. Just get cheap scientific anglers mono tapered leaders at 7 1/2 foot a line class above what you want and add an invisix florocarbon tippet. The mono works great to absorb shock from hook set. Invisix 8lb plus rio floroflex under 8 yes the rio under 8lb is a bit steep but it is the strongest most supple under 8 get to 8lb invisix hands down. 200 not 30 yards for 20$ for invisix. Hands down best heavier floro on the market.

Happy New Year Robert! Thank you for the advise, see you soon I'm sure.

Re: Leaders? [Re: Smurfs] #12024005 01/06/17 04:33 PM
M
MtnDew Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
M
So being new to fly fishing and using a 5 wt rod to chase sandbass and pond blue gills and trout. What do you guy think about these leaders.

only $0.99 each 2x tapered 7.5' Umpqua Trout Tapered Leader ... I have plenty of 4lb and 8lb floru or mono that I could tie on as a tippet, seems cheap enough to not mess with building my own ?
Umpqua 2x leader

or

They have Scientific anglers leaders for 9' for Trout and another for Bass 2pack for $2.99 in various sizes ... Not sure what would be different in trout vs bass, but since I will be going after sandbass with clousers and pond bass ...was thinking of getting the bass leaders in 10lb or 8lb pack. ?

SA Bass leaders 9'

-thanks, rob

Re: Leaders? [Re: Smurfs] #12024033 01/06/17 04:51 PM
F
Fly Fishing Fanatic! Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
F
Trout are the only fish I use tapered leaders on, all other game fish I use fluorocarbon in what ever test I feel will get the job done, I have fought and landed 14 pound large mouth on 10lb floro and stripers up to 12 pounds. Perch and sandies I use either 4,6 or 8lb floro......

Russell E. Thompson III.
Owner/Executive Producer
Roaring River Productions LLC.
HD-DSLR Video Production
DFW Fly Fishing Fanatic
Environmentalist &
8 Time EMMY Award Winner
Re: Leaders? [Re: MtnDew] #12024041 01/06/17 04:53 PM
M
MassAction Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
M
Originally Posted By: MtnDew
So being new to fly fishing and using a 5 wt rod to chase sandbass and pond blue gills and trout. What do you guy think about these leaders.
only $0.99 each 2x tapered 7.5' Umpqua Trout Tapered Leader ... I have plenty of 4lb and 8lb floru or mono that I could tie on as a tippet, seems cheap enough to not mess with building my own ?
Umpqua 2x leader
or
They have Scientific anglers leaders for 9' for Trout and another for Bass 2pack for $2.99 in various sizes ... Not sure what would be different in trout vs bass, but since I will be going after sandbass with clousers and pond bass ...was thinking of getting the bass leaders in 10lb or 8lb pack. ?

SA Bass leaders 9'

-thanks, rob

Those are both well reputed name brands so you will be fine with either. Bass and sunfish aren't leader shy, so I wouldn't stress too much about it. Go with whatever gets you out there and fishing.

Also remember that pre-packed leaders like that have tippet already attached so you also don't need to add any more tippet unless you start chewing through it by changing flies or want to lengthen your leader because fish are wary (probably won't be an issue with the species you mentioned).

As white bass season approaches, you may consider a sinking leader if you don't have sinking line like the Rio VersiLeader. I bought a couple to play around with before the White Bass run to see if I can get away with it versus running a sinking line.

Good luck out there!

Re: Leaders? [Re: Smurfs] #12024051 01/06/17 05:02 PM
R
RexW Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
R
Rob, 2x is a little thick (diameter of the leader) and 7.5 ft is a little short for most trout situations. They tend to be more leader shy than most warmwater fish. However, at that price, add a foot or so of lighter tippet and you should be fine. I'd start with the 4 lb line that you already have and see how that works out.

I tend to use 10 lb as my general purpose warmwater leader size. Those 2x leaders are showing to be 10.5lb test. I'd be tempted to just get more of those leaders and use them for both situations. Add some lighter wt tippet for trout and remove the tippet for warmwater fishing.

Fly Fishers International certified casting instructor
TFO Rods pro staff
Re: Leaders? [Re: Smurfs] #12024222 01/06/17 06:14 PM
M
MtnDew Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
M
Thanks all,

MassAction, I like the idea of the sinking leader ... which rate do you use they go from 1.5 ips to 7 ips ?

-rob

Re: Leaders? [Re: Smurfs] #12025553 01/07/17 05:22 AM
R
RonL Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
R
I have some RIO 9', 5x I bought at Cabelas but when they run out I have a spool of mono 4-wt and 2-wt and I will start building my own .

RonL
Re: Leaders? [Re: MtnDew] #12025577 01/07/17 05:39 AM
M
MassAction Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
M
Thanks all,

MassAction, I like the idea of the sinking leader ... which rate do you use they go from 1.5 ips to 7 ips ?

-rob

It really depends on the depth and current of the waster you're trying to fish. I bought a 3 and 7 and will probably play around with them on the Guadalupe next weekend. However, with white bass I've been taught low and slow is the way to go so as long as you're not hanging up on the bottom every cast, get the heaviest one.

Truth be told when the time comes I will likely revert to a traditional sink tip line.

Re: Leaders? [Re: MassAction] #12025630 01/07/17 08:20 AM
R
Robert Hunter Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
R
Originally Posted By: MassAction
Umpqua 2x leader
or

SA Bass leaders 9'

-thanks, rob

Those are both well reputed name brands so you will be fine with either. Bass and sunfish aren't leader shy, so I wouldn't stress too much about it. Go with whatever gets you out there and fishing.

Also remember that pre-packed leaders like that have tippet already attached so you also don't need to add any more tippet unless you start chewing through it by changing flies or want to lengthen your leader because fish are wary (probably won't be an issue with the species you mentioned).

As white bass season approaches, you may consider a sinking leader if you don't have sinking line like the Rio VersiLeader. I bought a couple to play around with before the White Bass run to see if I can get away with it versus running a sinking line.

Good luck out there!
yes there is a tippet running section on those pre packaged leaders. But I normally want floro for most species but strait floro leaders tend to break on hard hook sets on the fly(although far superior abrasion resistant with floro)!The stretch of the mono works out perfect. Floro also sinks to help get subsurface flys down(where as mono floats). Yes you can fish drys with the invisibility of floro put some ginks on your fingers and run the line thru them it floats fine. That is why I get 7'6" tapered mono leaders a size heavier than I want. Then I can add a lighter floro tippet to get around 9' for total leader. The mono works as a shock absorber and for those that don't know. floro is almost invisible to the fish under water. I always wonder what kind of bass people are fishing for that say they are not leader shy. Fished tournaments for years,as well as Mexico,falcon,amistad,o.h ivie,Toledo bend at absolut peak. Could go 10 to 1 on a person throwing mono you can use 20lb.invisix floro when they wouldn't hit 12 pound big game mono for the other guy with the exact same presentation. That is why now that I fly most of the time I get short Mono leaders and add a short piece of floro with a double surgeons.

[Linked Image] [Linked Image] [url=https://postimages.org/][img]https://i.postimg.cc/bsQJFvLj/
Re: Leaders? [Re: Smurfs] #12025632 01/07/17 08:38 AM
R
Robert Hunter Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
R
This guy was definitely not leader shy lmbo[img]http://i1069.photo[URL=http://s1069...3EFAB.jpg[/img]bucket.com/albums/u469/robert_bassman/0A772EB5-9876-405F-AF55-5147ED658A8B.jpg[/IMG][/URL]yes that first one not leader shy the last five I don't think they would have ever even come close to mono of the same weight rated size. From 30 years experience I can go double weight rating with floro than what I am with mono(don't use it at all any more exept leaders)better feel less stretch and better abrasion resistant. That's why I immediately add floro tippet to my monofilament leader. I want the clearest most invisible Line closest to the eye of my hook that I can get away with!my.02

Page 1 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide