Forums59
Topics1,037,859
Posts13,935,709
Members144,150
Most Online39,925
Dec 30th, 2023
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: What's your dumbest mistake operating a boat in saltwater? [Re: Uncle Zeek] #11648034 06/05/16 09:01 AM
L
lconn4 Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
L
I have had a lot of screw ups. Decided I would paddle out to Sailfish Flats, near Miami, where the charter fishing guys were catching all the sailfish. Checked out the private marina launch site to make sure it was open 24 hours a day, checked out the inlet (Haulover) I would be passing through to get out to ocean.. double check the tides for departure and return.. everything is a go the next morning. Launch kayak before first light as I have about a mile paddle down Intracoastal Waterway before getting to inlet. Nice quiet uneventful paddle starting out as the outgoing tide is carrying me towards inlet. Sun starting to come up as I make the left turn into inlet channel and notice a stiff breeze in my face. Water still flat as I continue on but can see what looks like some big humps ahead. By the time I've reached the jetty I get that sick feeling you get when you know this will be much tougher than planned. I take the picture below before stowing camera away and focus on paddling.

From this point on it only got worse... outgoing tide and incoming winds. I was too afraid to try and turn around. Seas were at least 8 feet from trough to crest of waves. I'm only 30 yards from jetty and can't see it from the troughs. Most hair raising paddle I've ever made. Only fished for three hours and decided to come in as the winds picked up later that morning and it was too much work. Forgot that outgoing tide would still be in force and that I would have to paddle against the current through inlet. It was a nightmare... with standing 6 foot waves.

I made the video below 4 years ago while in south florida visiting. I wanted to see from jetty if it looked as bad as the day I paddled through years earlier... it didn't, but it gives you an idea how big those waves were on further out the jetty.

http://vid593.photobucket.com/albums/tt20/lconn4/videos/032.mp4

Last edited by lconn4; 06/06/16 06:06 AM.

A good rule of angling philosophy is not to interfere with another fisherman's ways of being happy, unless you want to be hated.
Zane Grey, Tales of Fishes, 1919

https://vimeo.com/73372194
https://vimeo.com/72859045

Re: What's your dumbest mistake operating a boat in saltwater? [Re: Uncle Zeek] #11649260 06/06/16 02:16 AM
J
Jim Ford Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
J
Won't give up mine, but I'll burn a buddy here:

He had a cousin visiting from Massachusetts and we were going to dive a reef off the Ragged Keys. We launched at Matheson Hammock and ran across Biscayne bay, then down to the reef. The water was prime, and as soon as we got there everyone geared up and went over. Our host told his cousin to drop the anchor as we hit the water. Fortunately, we were snorkeling. As we came up for air we saw the boat hauling butt northbound, and the unsecured anchor line drifting. We probably didn't chase the boat all that far, but it felt like we swam halfway to Fort Lauderdale. It was not a swim I'd wish to repeat.

Re: What's your dumbest mistake operating a boat in saltwater? [Re: Uncle Zeek] #11649286 06/06/16 02:34 AM
J
Jim Ford Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
J
Okay, I'll give up one of mine. Back in high school, three of us had run across Biscayne Bay to Hurricane Harbor in a runabout. We were headed back toward the house in Gables By The Sea late in the afternoon, probably a six or seven mile run. We were towing a 4X8 sheet of plywood behind the boat, and taking turns on it. It was beginning to get dark. I kept looking back at the guys on the board, and they were doing all right every time. So..... I quit looking for a while. Finally, I looked back, and saw I was towing an empty board. I couldn't see my friends (neither of whom was wearing a PFD) anywhere. I was in a state of near panic, and I raced back the way we had come. I found them several hundred yards back; one had fallen off and the other one jumped in to keep him company. In the fading light and chop I couldn't see them. I will never forget that feeling; it was one of a great many wakeup calls I got as a teenager. Bobbing around in Biscayne Bay at night without a PFD is not a highly sought-after pastime. It still scares me to think about that.

Re: What's your dumbest mistake operating a boat in saltwater? [Re: Uncle Zeek] #11649345 06/06/16 03:02 AM
H
Hopedale Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
H
Took the boat out and headed down the MRGO (Mississippi River Gulf Outlet) and wanted to get to Aligator Point in Lake Borgne. As I approached the canal that exited the MRGO into Lake Borgne I see everyone else in their boat stacked up on the inside of the canal. I keep going only to find the swells to big for my boat, but thankfully I was able to keep it on plane, while I turned around and got back inside.

Lesson learned pay attention to the weather reports, and especially the winds. And when you see the other boats staying on the inside do the same.

[Linked Image]
Re: What's your dumbest mistake operating a boat in saltwater? [Re: Jim Ford] #11649446 06/06/16 05:39 AM
L
lconn4 Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
L
Originally Posted By: Jim Ford

He had a cousin visiting from Massachusetts and we were going to dive a reef off the Ragged Keys. We launched at Matheson Hammock and ran across Biscayne bay, then down to the reef. The water was prime, and as soon as we got there everyone geared up and went over. Our host told his cousin to drop the anchor as we hit the water. Fortunately, we were snorkeling. As we came up for air we saw the boat hauling butt northbound, and the unsecured anchor line drifting. We probably didn't chase the boat all that far, but it felt like we swam halfway to Fort Lauderdale. It was not a swim I'd wish to repeat.

Hey Jim, what years were you in Miami area? Matheson Hammock was one of my haunts. A few pics from Coral Gables area.

A good rule of angling philosophy is not to interfere with another fisherman's ways of being happy, unless you want to be hated.

Re: What's your dumbest mistake operating a boat in saltwater? [Re: lconn4] #11649683 06/06/16 01:39 PM
R
reelswift Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
R

Wow those are great pics

Originally Posted By: lconn4

Hey Jim, what years were you in Miami area? Matheson Hammock was one of my haunts. A few pics from Coral Gables area.

Team LVS34
Captain WNB
Re: What's your dumbest mistake operating a boat in saltwater? [Re: lconn4] #11650086 06/06/16 04:33 PM
J
Jim Ford Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
J
Originally Posted By: lconn4

Back in the sixties. I went to Palmetto High. Lived off of Old Cutler Road near Snapper Creek.

Re: What's your dumbest mistake operating a boat in saltwater? [Re: Uncle Zeek] #11650268 06/06/16 06:30 PM
L
lconn4 Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
L
The first picture above (Miami skyline) was taken about 7 years ago from the mouth of Snapper Creek at low tide. Lots of bonefish as well as manatee in that area. Cutler Road is one of the most beautiful areas I've ever driven in Florida.

giant parrot fish.. Biscayne Bay near Cranston Park, Miami.

One of biggest manatees I ever came across was at mouth of Snapper Creek

Lots of good memories and screw ups in that area.

cheers

Re: What's your dumbest mistake operating a boat in saltwater? [Re: Uncle Zeek] #11650540 06/06/16 08:52 PM
J
Jim Ford Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
J
Used to wade the mouth of Snapper Creek for bonefish; we waded and canoed every inch of those flats between Matheson Hammock and Gables By The Sea. We caught our share of sharks there on outgoing tides too. We also caught tons of fish upstream at the dam, busting up schools of pilchards. We'd catch tarpon on both sides of the dam. Sometimes we'd sneak into Fairchild Tropical Gardens at night and catch & release some of those monster snook in there. Spent more weekends than I could count on Elliott Key, at the old University Yacht Club dock (you had to sleep at the end of the dock to get away from SOME of the mosquitos). We fished and dove all of the cuts between Key Biscayne and Key Largo, and most of the ones from there to Key West.

It was a fabulous place at a fabulous time.

Re: What's your dumbest mistake operating a boat in saltwater? [Re: Uncle Zeek] #11650813 06/06/16 11:12 PM
P
Pat Goff Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
P
When your scooter can run in an inch of water there's not a big difference in a half inch. Which you can usually spot because it's oil slick. Except when the wind stops pumping.

I've run aground way more times than remember and slid out of channels up on the bank a bunch. Part of it. We carry a small come along and can winch back to deeper water easy enough but it always makes you feel like a doofus.

Pat Goff
Seadrift TX
[Linked Image]
Re: What's your dumbest mistake operating a boat in saltwater? [Re: Uncle Zeek] #11651285 06/07/16 03:15 AM
S
skeeter22 Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
S
Hitting Confederate Reef at WOT on a low tide. Thankfully, no injuries and minimal fiberglass damage. Oyster shells and fiberglass are not friends.

Re: What's your dumbest mistake operating a boat in saltwater? [Re: Uncle Zeek] #12016356 01/02/17 09:28 PM
M
Mark's Fence Repair Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
M
I had a real Humdinger I went off the shore during a tropical storm we were out about 70 miles and you won't believe it all the bait in my life Well Rolled and we didn't have no bait I tried all the Sabiki rigs and we couldn't get anything to bite it was like 5 to 7 foot swells we stayed up there all day fishing but we didn't have no bait.

Re: What's your dumbest mistake operating a boat in saltwater? [Re: Mark's Fence Repair] #12016579 01/02/17 11:42 PM
Uncle Zeek Offline OP
aka "Dad"
OP Offline
aka "Dad"
Originally Posted By: Mark's Fence Repair
I went off the shore during a tropical storm

Why? Why would any sane person deliberately go out fishing during a tropical storm? When I'm on the ocean and it starts building up or I can tell there's a storm coming, I turn tail and run for port.

"Decency is not news; it is buried in the obituaries --but it is a force stronger than crime" ~ Robert A. Heinlein
Artim Law Firm, PLLC
Estate planning & tax attorney
2250 Morriss Road, Suite 205, Flower Mound, Texas 75028
972-746-0758 mobile
zac@artimlegal.com
Re: What's your dumbest mistake operating a boat in saltwater? [Re: Uncle Zeek] #12035655 01/12/17 04:29 PM
A
Anderson Guide Service Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
A
About 15 years ago I wanted to make a move. Cranked on the engine and nothing. Checked everything I could think of kept cranking and nothing. Finally the battery died and I called a buddy to come and give me a hand. He pulled up and immediately said look at your kill switch!!!!! It had come unplugged at some point. Hooked the jumpers up to his boat and it fired right up. I had customers on the boat and I felt like the biggest idiot in the world. I guess it shows no matter how much time on the water you have you still miss some thing sometimes.

Anderson Guide Service
Rockport, TX
361-450-0805
www.rockportfishing.net
www.facebook.com/andersonguideservicerpt/
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide