Forums59
Topics1,039,187
Posts13,960,641
Members144,194
Most Online39,925
Dec 30th, 2023
Print Thread
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Re: Lynn's Catfish Calendar (LCC) 2017 [Re: Catfish Lynn] #12325437 07/05/17 10:22 PM
carolinaskipper Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
ill be back on lake corpus Christi this weekend, looks to be a buffet weekend. going to try to use as much live bait as I can, and fish in about 20' of water. seeing how we will have plenty of moonlight, should I fish some shallower holes? I am not sure if there is any dead zones in the lake but would like to stay away from that so my bait doesn't die, I will probably be using some cut mullet as well. last time I use cut mulled I caught several channel cats and a big alligator gar.

2001 carolina skiff.
Wet Rooster Jigs Fishing Super Store
Re: Lynn's Catfish Calendar (LCC) 2017 [Re: Catfish Lynn] #12326243 07/06/17 07:30 AM
C
Catfish Lynn Offline OP
Extreme Angler
OP Offline
Extreme Angler
C
Hmm, You might try a few test jugs (juglines). Try 10' to 15' and also the 20'. And of course set a few in 5'. Probably 4 hooks each. The ones in the 5' will lay down as you stretch the line out. These will help to see if they are coming up very shallow. Usually they will come into the shallows to feed in the evening, but they might play first, then feed later due to the moonlight. Usually about this time, the deeper water will have started turning over. Plus with all of the boating from the 4th, the water is not, shall we say, very healthy. Usually the bait does not die on my lines in 8' to 13' depth. But once I get out to about 15' or 20', bait dies fast.

One article I read years ago, the guy said the thermocline would be at half level. Meaning if it was 30' deep, the dead water would be from 15' to 30' down. At 20', it would be from 10' to 20'. Whatever depth it was, he would set his R-n-R just above center depth and bait with goldfish for Big Blues as he noted they would suspend themselves just above mid level to stay in the oxygen level.

Lynn
aka "Catfish"
Re: Lynn's Catfish Calendar (LCC) 2017 [Re: Catfish Lynn] #12368872 08/02/17 04:54 AM
C
Catfish Lynn Offline OP
Extreme Angler
OP Offline
Extreme Angler
C
Not much to say, as I have been going in circles here with vehicles. I think I finally got the Metro leveled out, but every time I think that, it bites me you know where. The new clutch is realy great. Now I can trust it to get me to the lake & back. I am still working on the Accent. Currently, it's not running. If everything goes good, maybe I will finally succeed this weekend. Then I can get back to a regular schedule & project backlog here.

And Yes, it is hot. So Be Careful with the Heat!

OK, Here ya go ...

Lynns Catfish Calendar [LCC]- AUGUST 2017
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Sunday / Monday / Tuesday / Wednesday / Thursday / Friday / Saturday
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
XX / XX | 1 ZIP | 2 ZIP | 3 BC | 4 BFT | 5 BFT
6 YC | 7 YC | 8 YC | 9 YC | 10 YC | 11 ZIP | 12 ZIP
13 BC | 14 BC | 15 ZIP | 16 ZIP | 17 YC | 18 YC | 19 ZIP
20 ZIP | 21 ZIP | 22 ZIP | 23 ZIP | 24 ZIP | 25 ZIP | 26 BFT
27 BFT | 28 ZIP | 29 ZIP | 30 ZIP | 31 BC
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Lynn's Catfish Calendar [LCC]- August 2017 Moon Phases---
7th- Full Moon
14th- Last Qtr
21st- New Moon
29th- 1st Qtr

***Don't Forget!!!
Eclipse is on Monday August 21st. Hopefully a few will be out fishing & can share what happens as to fishing, just before, during the eclipse, and afterwards.

Lynn's Catfish Calendar [LCC]- August 2017 Lynn's PYC (Prime YellowCat) Days---
8/9 Tues/Wed
16/17/18 Wed/Thurs/Fri
26/27 Sat/Sun

EXTRA--- Targeted BC (BlueCat) days this month are:
1st Week- 3rd (Thurs)
2nd Week- NONE
3rd Week- NONE
4th Week- 31st (Thurs)/(Sept 1st / Fri)

***Also note that YC days (not PYC) are also great for Blues

Be Aware!!!
Have a Good One!!!

Lynn
aka "Catfish"
Re: Lynn's Catfish Calendar (LCC) 2017 [Re: Catfish Lynn] #12371595 08/04/17 12:23 AM
S
SARG Offline
Angler
Angler
S
bump

Re: Lynn's Catfish Calendar (LCC) 2017 [Re: Catfish Lynn] #12385898 08/14/17 09:56 PM
carolinaskipper Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
didn't catch anything this past weekend on the ZIP. I have noticed fishing good days and bad days, they correlate with this calendar!!!

2001 carolina skiff.
Re: Lynn's Catfish Calendar (LCC) 2017 [Re: Catfish Lynn] #12386028 08/15/17 12:26 AM
S
SARG Offline
Angler
Angler
S
If your following with expectations
Fish smaller lakes on the forecasted ZIP days and youll still manage something to get slimed
WE managed 17 well above average channels on whole live perch(3-4"- 6/0 hook)across two day Sat/Sun)
Rain all week should be right going into this Sunday

Re: Lynn's Catfish Calendar (LCC) 2017 [Re: Catfish Lynn] #12386323 08/15/17 03:21 AM
C
Catfish Lynn Offline OP
Extreme Angler
OP Offline
Extreme Angler
C
The Catfish Calendar is pretty well in line. But exceptions or variables are in there as well. Weather, pressures, wind, heat, cold, thermocline, bait used, if a scope is utilized, consistency in throwing a hook into a crowd of fish, and so on.

I noted some time back that one catfishermen here locally said he did good on Channels during ZIP days. I usually catch more Channels on BFT (Buffet Days). If you learn to key in on certain aspects of the Calendar, you can get greater yields from it. Such as using what I call Bleedover. While we may have a set time for one day to the next (Midnight to Midnight), and in the case of TP&W also using that set time as well as to define a Daily Bag Limit, the Catfish Calendar does not have an actual gate (or switch) that shuts or opens from Midnight to Midnight. In other words, than can be overlaps.

In one case, one may be using natural baits & catch none during a ZIP day, while perhaps another uses special stink baits or even Gummy worms and catches a fair amount on that very same ZIP day. Chances could be in a different lake, or the very same lake.

Another example is a big YellowCat. They are super cautious & very finnicky. And yet sometimes caution is thrown to the wind. Maybe they are really hungry, or maybe they strike (or gulp) out of curiosity. Perhaps they feel threatened & are acting out of defending their territory.

There are variables with each tool, the Calendar is a tool. Each person or group should use it, learn by it, then utilize it to the best way that it works for them. Everything in this universe, regardless of spirit (energy) & matter have patterns ingrained. The trick is to recognize the patterns & utilize them as they are relative to you. Or as Stan states it best, paraphrased, "the trick is not just finding the pattern, but plugging iit into a model & see if it does anything".

One good example is Dave. He uses juglines for Catfish. He has found the best bait suited for him, chicken breast soaked in Dead Red or Bar S wieners soaked in Dead Red. Using the Catfish Calendar for over 6 years now, he has learned to key in on certain things, such as Bleedover. He may set the jugs out on the afternoon or evening of a ZIP day, going into a BC day, then runs them in the morning and makes a super BlueCat haul. He has done it in Texas, and now in Oklahoma. Now he catches so much, he usually throws some of the Big Ones back. And if he loses a good one, it's a good fish story, and he shrugs it off to say he'll get him again next time.

Another good example is Leo & family. They use it for Gator Gars, as well as Yellows & Blues. Leo even checked his notes as to the big Gator Gars caught comparing to previous calendars & noted the YC days (also noted for GG) were aligned with his catches.

As for me, I used the Calendar from August 1983 thru July 1985, almost 2 years, to finally pull in "Big'Un" a 60# Op on the Trinity River (about a 30 minute run downriver at 20 MPH from TX 21 Bridge). I had a place that I was allowed to go camping there. In actuality, it weighed in at 59# on a meat locker scale, but the tail was laying on the bottom of the scale. The guy who normally used the scale, said it should weigh in at least 65#. So I just used 60# as a reference. It would have been neat had I gotten an exact weight. First caught on a 5 hook throwline off a stump, I made the mistake of not being aware & cautious. Jimmy (my father-in-law) was sitting on the front seat. He grabbed the line & raised it enough for me to get the line. Well, there was nothing jerking, so I breezed on out for the rest of line, unsuspecting. Bad mistake. I woke her up. She decided to dive. Caught off guard, it took me across the seat, and my arm was already in the water. In that split second, I had to make a super fast decision. I chose to let go, instead of being pulled out of the boat, as she held the line in her domain. I decided to go back & this time be prepared. However, the monster (whatever it was, had gotten off). I finally set a trotline at an angle to go near the stump, to give me more leverage for future attempt. Using the YC days (as that was the day it first hit), I caught her many times, but lost her. Never saw her to determine if it was a big Yellow or big Blue (Blues also hit on YC days). But I never had encounters with her on BC days. So I leaned to the idea it was a big Yellow. After almost 2 years, I finally caught it, with my daughter Kristina who was one month shy of turning 4 years old. Kristina loved to go fishing & camping.

Anyway, the point is, I used the Calendar as a tool to mark the days in which to catch 'Big'Un" & finally succeeded. The closest was one vacation week (river fishing) of June 1984, when we baited the line with 12 giant perch on the side where it was at. Before getting all the way baiting the line (on the opposite side I would catch a mess of 12 to 14# Blues), she struck. She was taking the main line up and down the river. I had never seen a fish boil water like that as she tried to dive & get away. But just before we got close, the line went limp. Got off once again. But checking bait, she had already eaten 9 of those 12 giant perch.

Use the Catfish Calendar in the manner that works best for you.

Lynn
aka "Catfish"
Re: Lynn's Catfish Calendar (LCC) 2017 [Re: Catfish Lynn] #12386334 08/15/17 03:27 AM
C
Catfish Lynn Offline OP
Extreme Angler
OP Offline
Extreme Angler
C
OOPS! Just amended this, somehow I skipped a week, there were 5 weeks (not 4) or portions thereof---

1st Week- 3rd (Thurs)
2nd Week- NONE
3rd Week- 13th/14th (Sun/Mon)
4th Week- NONE
5th Week- 31st (Thurs)/(Sept 1st / Fri)

My apologies as I did not notice it until just now.

Lynn
aka "Catfish"
Re: Lynn's Catfish Calendar (LCC) 2017 [Re: Catfish Lynn] #12387578 08/16/17 01:36 AM
S
SARG Offline
Angler
Angler
S
roflmao

Re: Lynn's Catfish Calendar (LCC) 2017 [Re: Catfish Lynn] #12411269 09/02/17 04:14 PM
C
Catfish Lynn Offline OP
Extreme Angler
OP Offline
Extreme Angler
C
Whew! What a month!

Sadly, many Texans along the coast are caught up in one of the worst disasters possible. I am happy to see many responded with boats, as well as taking time off, to assist & are still assisting those in need. Many crews from our area are being dispatched over the weekend with supplies & manpower. One 18 wheeler was being loaded to head out Friday evening to Rockport area. Among items loaded were a front end load tractor, chain saws, portable welding shop, and tools (such as shovels rakes, etc.), and so on, along with a team to work them and assist in the clean up. Donations and offers of assistance have reached up beyond across the USA, but up into Canada, as well.

You only know how bad it is, when refugees from other problems, want to give up to a week's pay to assist Texans. That is my Wife & Step Daughter's view of how bad it is, as they view the flooding & disaster from their TV in Kiev. As they are current refugees from the war in Ukraine, which caused them to flee Lugansk due to gunfire around their apartment back in May 2014 when the Russian rebels came in & took over. And yes, they know exactly who sent the rebels there. You could tell from their accents, well financed with rubles, and their demeanor (or attitude) as if they were on a paid mission.

Responses have been tremendous & due to the nature of Harvey, it is still an ongoing crisis. Everybody is encouraged to do what they can to assist. Without of course, creating a crisis for themselves. State officials claim there is no fuel shortage. But people running to the gas stations in panic buying, are emptying out some stations. Everybody is being asked to calm down & buy at the normal rate, and these things will not occur.

My Mom & Sister cooked many meals Friday to give to one volunteer firefighter group, to pass out among those refugees that are here in area places, awaiting to return to their home or what is there or not there.

And there is not good news over the horizon, as Mom informed of me of the news about 2 or so days ago. They say the Gulf of Mexico is 5 degrees higher than normal. This in turn, not only helps to draw in Hurricanes, but fuel them up even more so. And that this will become the new "norm" (meaning it will get worse & more frequent).

Meanwhile, for those than can still get out & fish, by all means do so. As this also helps to keep the economy going, which also generates jobs, income, and taxes. So, everything has its part to do in the big wheel.

Here ya go ... Note that we have finally gotten more of the BC days in September compared to the previous month or so. Sorry I am running late, as I forgot Friday was September already. It has been non-stop here & at work.

Lynns Catfish Calendar [LCC]- SEPTEMBER 2017
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Sunday / Monday / Tuesday / Wednesday / Thursday / Friday / Saturday
XX / XX / XX / XX / XX | 1 BC | 2 BFT
3 YC | 4 YC | 5 YC | 6 YC | 7 BC | 8 BC | 9 BFT
10 BC | 11 ZIP | 12 ZIP | 13 YC | 14 YC | 15 ZIP | 16 ZIP
17 ZIP | 18 ZIP | 19 ZIP | 20 ZIP | 21 ZIP | 22 BC | 23 BFT
24 BFT | 25 ZIP | 26 ZIP | 27 BC | 28 BC | 29 BC | 30 BFT

Lynn's Catfish Calendar [LCC]- September 2017 Moon Phases---
6th- Full Moon
13th- Last Qtr
20th- New Moon
27th- 1st Qtr

Lynn's Catfish Calendar [LCC]- September 2017 Lynn's PYC (Prime YellowCat) Days---
4/5 Mon/Tues
13/14/15 Wed/Thurs/Fri
23/24 Sat/Sun

1st Week- (31)/1 (Thurs)/Fri
2nd Week- 7/8 Thurs/Fri
3rd Week- 10 Sun
4th Week- 22 Fri
5th Week- 27/28/29 Wed/Thurs/Fri

Let's hope the floods recede sooner than longer & recovery can be implemented as soon as possible in all of the areas affected.

In that Hope!!!

Forgot! It's Labor Day Weekend! So be safe!

Lynns Catfish Calendar [LCC]- 2017 KEY:
+++++++++++++++++++++++
YC = YellowCat // BC = BlueCat // BFT = Buffet (assorted) // ZIP = Zip (not very good)
Tip- Always bait out lines the night before a YC or BC day.
Tip- Gator Gars (GG) run ahead of YellowCats, so bait out late (between 11 PM to 1 AM).
Tip- BlueCats also bite good on YC days, but you can rack em up on BC days.
Tip- Some variations or alterations are due to weather or other external influences.
Tip- For Rod-n-Reelers, use Solunar Tables (etc.) also for best times with my calendar.
Tip- Near Full Moon, Gator Gars & YellowCats seem to feed a few hours later.
Tip- Your biggest YellowCats may hit best towards beginning & end of YC or PYC days.
Tip- My PYC Days keys in on the YellowCats Feed/Roam Days Underlying Pattern.
Tip- Bleedover works both ways- Before & After a calendar day. Take advantage.
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Lynn
aka "Catfish"
Re: Lynn's Catfish Calendar (LCC) 2017 [Re: Catfish Lynn] #12414487 09/05/17 04:18 AM
G
gar1970 Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
G
Thank you Lynn!!!

https://www.Jiglyf.com

TEXAS ELITE ANGLER
Re: Lynn's Catfish Calendar (LCC) 2017 [Re: Catfish Lynn] #12418730 09/08/17 04:54 AM
C
Catfish Lynn Offline OP
Extreme Angler
OP Offline
Extreme Angler
C
Hey Guy! Hope the family is doing great there! Sorry for late response, I have fallen asleep at the keyboard last 4 nights. I have had the circle jerk with vehicles that started the very week I set up the 2017 printed Calendar back at the end of April for print. It has been going back & forth, get one going, then the other something goes wrong. So my summer has big one big spin. I think the Higher Powers are testing me, be it for patience, or for duration. Anyways, I hope to finally get the Metro running this weekend & be done finally in this whirlwind.

I have pooled all the new material together that I need to map out the 2018 Catfish Calendar. And then I can pin down those PYC days (3 day run) at the end of this December (2017) going into January 2018. First time it fell that way. I have to be able to see backwards & forwards to pin the PYC days down (YellowCat initial roam-feed pattern).

Plus I collected enough material for 2017 so if Ron has been filling out the data sheets on his Crappie catches, then maybe I can pin down a pattern on Crappie.

I just put the wheel kit & battery in on my new Predator 8750 watt Generator the weekend that Hurricane Harvey hit. I say new, as they were still in their cartons. The generator was purchased last November. That tells you just how far I am behind. I missed getting the hog pens built up here by the house (pre-spring) due to work load at the shop, as they were tilling the ground all around the vehicles. And sadly I missed getting to do any Spring catfishing. But by golly, I do have a new clutch in the Metro finally. That's how I spent my July 4th holiday. Runs great, and it really upped the gas mileage. Maybe I can map out how I can optimize it, as to fishing-wise. Still tinkering on that setting up to haul fishing gear.

For those just tuning in, "gar1970"'s family uses the Catfish Calendar for all 3 of its specified targets- Gator Gars, YellowCats, and BlueCats. They've been using it 5 or 6 years now, and have been featured in previous Hard Copy (printed) editions of the Catfish Calendar, just like Dave (from "Meat Haul" thread). See Dave's thread <http://texasfishingforum.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/11941303/>

Anyhow, for all of those who use the Catfish Calendar, I'm proud of your accomplishments!!!

Lynn
aka "Catfish"
Re: Lynn's Catfish Calendar (LCC) 2017 [Re: Catfish Lynn] #12420373 09/09/17 09:32 PM
S
Slab Killa Offline
Angler
Angler
S
Nice

Re: Lynn's Catfish Calendar (LCC) 2017 [Re: Catfish Lynn] #12432779 09/19/17 04:06 PM
carolinaskipper Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
Will be fishing this weekend. Ill let yall know if the Yellow Cats are biting!

2001 carolina skiff.
Re: Lynn's Catfish Calendar (LCC) 2017 [Re: Catfish Lynn] #12446797 09/29/17 04:18 PM
carolinaskipper Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
We went this weekend, Caught a 38 pound yellow cat. Caught about a dozen more between 5-15 pounds. Caught several channels as well. Average 5 pounds each. No blue cats. All caught on live perch.

2001 carolina skiff.
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide