Yo-zuri Crystal Minnow restoration #11982547 12/13/16 10:39 PM
J
JoseAnt Offline OP
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
J
Hello Texas Anglers
I hope this post find you well. Continuing with my Restoration Series posts, this time I chose a very common lure. I’m sure that many of you have fished before with a Yo-zuri Crystal Minnow.
It is a versatile lure, and there are many colours and options in the stores. It is armed with strong hooks, and is very effective for short casts.

I have some old plugs of these lures in my box of forgetfulness. The one I chose is the SHBK … Originally, it was light brown back, silver belly, and iridescent Gold/Silver/Blue/Pink plenty of black dots in both sides.

Unfortunately with time and action, as happens with many other plugs it became to be scratched for the action. Then, it was forgotten on the bottom of the tacklebox for years.

When I see the original colours, I decided to change them at all… I thought to convert it into a different lure with shocking pink front, black back, and silver sides. At the end, I painted something a little bit different to my initial thoughts.

I invite you to see the transformation of this lure, please let me know your comments, critics, and recommendation…all will be more than welcome.

Before to say goodbye, I just want to announce that next Restorations to come are two Japanese lures, a Megabass Halibut and a DUO Blazin.

Thank you, and here it is the link to the video:

We have to practice and defend for a responsible fishing. Let's protect our environment

When ever have time, visit my Channel at Youtube, thank you
Pulpito Jig Series Channel
Re: Yo-zuri Crystal Minnow restoration [Re: JoseAnt] #11982717 12/14/16 12:32 AM
F
Froghunter Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
F
That's neat!!!!!!!!

Can you explain the foil a little better?

Re: Yo-zuri Crystal Minnow restoration [Re: JoseAnt] #11982823 12/14/16 01:38 AM
T
toddfish Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
T
Nice.

Re: Yo-zuri Crystal Minnow restoration [Re: Froghunter] #11987504 12/16/16 04:11 PM
J
JoseAnt Offline OP
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
J
Hello Froghunter... You are right. When I applied the foil in this video, I didn't show details. I did this way, because in my previous two posts I did. Please go to my channel in Youtube and see my video "Saltwater & Freshwater - Daiwa Salt Pro Minnow lure Restoration"

There I show many details how to apply the foil ...in case you need more tips please do not hesitate to contact me again. I will be happy to help you.

Just in case, I'm including the link to the video I referred,

Originally Posted by Froghunter
That's neat!!!!!!!!

Can you explain the foil a little better?

We have to practice and defend for a responsible fishing. Let's protect our environment

Re: Yo-zuri Crystal Minnow restoration [Re: toddfish] #11987507 12/16/16 04:12 PM
J
JoseAnt Offline OP
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
J
Thanks Toddfish...

Originally Posted By: toddfish
Nice.

Re: Yo-zuri Crystal Minnow restoration [Re: JoseAnt] #11989029 12/17/16 12:31 PM
K
kickingback Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
K
Nice! How do you clean the diving bill to make it clear and see through again with no paint and without scratching it up? It looks like you never even got paint on it and it is shiny and clear and not faded from sanding. Just curious. Thanks.

USAF Retired and Fishing!
Re: Yo-zuri Crystal Minnow restoration [Re: JoseAnt] #11989376 12/17/16 04:18 PM
Bois d'arc Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
Great videos...showing the restoration process with enough detail to help everyone understand the level of craftsmanship that goes into your work. Awesome, thanks for posting.

I found an old post of yours where you were looking for holographic foils. Try contacting "basscat dad" on this site. He has helped me find some very nice holographic foils in the past. I'll bet he would be willing to help.

Last edited by Bois d'arc; 12/17/16 04:28 PM.
Re: Yo-zuri Crystal Minnow restoration [Re: kickingback] #11992212 12/19/16 02:55 AM
J
JoseAnt Offline OP
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
J
Hello Kickingback ...thank you for your comment... If I understood well, I found that removing the original protection, paint and holograms from old lures (until reach the plastic of the plug), I got better results using a very sharped cutter instead a sand paper. Also, always I try to do even moves when scratching with the cutter avoiding to damage the plastic. Afterwards, when you finish, you are ready to paint the plastic lure and you have an ideal surface to be painted (considering that I used water based paints). At the end, using the combination of transparent colours and then the epoxy coats, the results are the ones that you were wondering.
Please let me know in case you have further questions...Thanks and happy holidays...

Originally Posted By: kickingback
Nice! How do you clean the diving bill to make it clear and see through again with no paint and without scratching it up? It looks like you never even got paint on it and it is shiny and clear and not faded from sanding. Just curious. Thanks.

Re: Yo-zuri Crystal Minnow restoration [Re: Bois d'arc] #11992270 12/19/16 03:13 AM
J
JoseAnt Offline OP
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
J
Hello Bois d'arc... thanks for your thoughts and your tips... I will look for Basscat Dad. Even though I've got/bought some foils, I'm still looking for foils similar as those used in Top Japanese plastic lures. I will be more than happy to know what other options are out there.
Last but not least, I would like to see your craftwork...Let's keep in touch, and have happy holidays for this Christmas.

Originally Posted By: Bois d'arc
Great videos...showing the restoration process with enough detail to help everyone understand the level of craftsmanship that goes into your work. Awesome, thanks for posting.

I found an old post of yours where you were looking for holographic foils. Try contacting "basscat dad" on this site. He has helped me find some very nice holographic foils in the past. I'll bet he would be willing to help.

Last edited by JoseAnt; 12/19/16 03:15 AM.

Re: Yo-zuri Crystal Minnow restoration [Re: JoseAnt] #12003185 12/25/16 08:07 PM
Bois d'arc Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
Thanks JoseAnt...Merry Christmas and Happy holidays to you and yours. I've recently started making wooden lures and will be post some of the resulting soon.

Last edited by Bois d'arc; 12/25/16 08:07 PM.
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide