Print Thread
Fishfinder / trolling motor interference #11859553 10/02/16 02:45 AM
B
Bobby Milam Offline OP
TFF Team Angler
OP Offline
TFF Team Angler
B
I know the interference issue has been talked about many times before but mine seems to be different this time. Run humminbirds front and rear. The boat had a 24v motorguide and I got interference on the front graph when running the trolling motor. Before I tried any of the suggestions to take care of it, I bought a 36v terrova. No more interference. Traded the 36v for a 24v terrova and took it out for the first time today. I was using the built in US2 transducer and every time that I turned it on, I lost the bottom reading and the screen just filled with interference. Units are linked together so I switched it back to the transom transducer and same thing. Later in the day I was in the back of the boat and found that it was also getting the same issue on 2d,di and si screens. It was running everything off of the rear transducer. I never had the trolling motor effect both units.

Trolling motor has it's own batteries and the cable runs on the left side. FF both wired direct to the cranking battery and the wires run the other side. Units are linked together along with the MK link through a 5 port hub. Is it common for the trolling motor to effect both units? It never has before for me.

Re: Fishfinder / trolling motor interference [Re: Bobby Milam] #11859585 10/02/16 03:16 AM
44 Diesel Online Content
TFF Celebrity
Online Content
TFF Celebrity
Both of mine were effected through the network. Check the fuse in the trolling motor head and see if it is blown. Could be an issue with prop or motor. One thing that fixed mine was the $65 choke that Humminbird makes.

Last edited by 44 Diesel; 10/02/16 03:17 AM.
Re: Fishfinder / trolling motor interference [Re: Bobby Milam] #11859602 10/02/16 03:48 AM
B
Bobby Milam Offline OP
TFF Team Angler
OP Offline
TFF Team Angler
B
Ok thx. I didn't know if it was common for both to be effected. I forgot about the fuse and then will look at the choke. Thanks.

Re: Fishfinder / trolling motor interference [Re: Bobby Milam] #11859619 10/02/16 04:07 AM
44 Diesel Online Content
TFF Celebrity
Online Content
TFF Celebrity

Re: Fishfinder / trolling motor interference [Re: Bobby Milam] #11864283 10/04/16 06:36 PM
R
rlivia Offline
Green Horn
Green Horn
R
If you haven't done so, you may want to also look to see if you are using a Ferrite Ring. They are basically used to reduce high frequency noise that can be product by motors - especially trolling motors. You want to add it to the power connectors.

Ferrite Rings on ESC’s: What Do They Do and How Can You Use Them?

Re: Fishfinder / trolling motor interference [Re: Bobby Milam] #11997818 12/22/16 04:49 AM
B
Bobby Milam Offline OP
TFF Team Angler
OP Offline
TFF Team Angler
B
Haven't used the fish finder in a while and finally tried it out today. I went to radio shack and bought some snap on ferrite rings. They were $5 for a bag of two. I snapped a couple on the trolling motor power cable and the cables on the ff. It fixed the problem. Just wanted to post an update so people would know that there is a cheaper solution that can work.

Re: Fishfinder / trolling motor interference [Re: Bobby Milam] #11998840 12/22/16 08:33 PM
W
Wayne P. Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
W
Originally Posted By: Bobby Milam
Haven't used the fish finder in a while and finally tried it out today. I went to radio shack and bought some snap on ferrite rings. They were $5 for a bag of two. I snapped a couple on the trolling motor power cable and the cables on the ff. It fixed the problem. Just wanted to post an update so people would know that there is a cheaper solution that can work.

That's great you got it resolved with just those. I have six of them plus a ferrite ring on the transducer cable, plus a TMC-1 on the trolling motor power cord and some grounding wires and still get RFI on 800 kHz Imaging.
Replaced the motor lower unit also on my Motor Guide Tour. Makes no difference if I use a dedicated electronics battery or the starting battery.

Helix 12 CHIRP MEGA SI+ GPS G3N and G4N, 1198c SI, SOLIX 10 SI G3,
Helix 8 MEGA SI+ GPS G4N, SOLIX 12 SI and G3, MEGA 360, MEGA LIVE TL, RC-1
Re: Fishfinder / trolling motor interference [Re: Wayne P.] #11999879 12/23/16 02:33 PM
shut-up-and-fish Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
Originally Posted By: Wayne P.

That's great you got it resolved with just those. I have six of them plus a ferrite ring on the transducer cable, plus a TMC-1 on the trolling motor power cord and some grounding wires and still get RFI on 800 kHz Imaging.
Replaced the motor lower unit also on my Motor Guide Tour. Makes no difference if I use a dedicated electronics battery or the starting battery.

Wayne have you tried disconnecting anyone negative cable from your on board charger to the trolling battery/s

[Linked Image]
www.shut-up-and-fish.com
From *Sales, *Installation Services, and *On the shop floor Education & Instructional Tips
We have you covered here @ shut-up-and-fish for all of your Humminbird, Lowrance,
Garmin, Minn Kota & Motorguide needs plus much more - Call Now 972 822 9285
Re: Fishfinder / trolling motor interference [Re: shut-up-and-fish] #12000010 12/23/16 03:30 PM
W
Wayne P. Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
W
Originally Posted By: shut-up-and-fish

Wayne have you tried disconnecting anyone negative cable from your on board charger to the trolling battery/s

No, since I don't use an on board charger connected to my starting battery or extra battery to run my electronics. I get the RFI using either battery.
I use the extra battery when fishing electric-only waters.

With my Helix 12 CHIRP SI GPS, I was not getting RFI at first, then after installing the first software update, I get RFI on 800 kHz SI. It's really no bother though since I don't use 800 kHz. I just mess with it occasionally to see if I can solve it.

Just ordered a couple of Mix 43 ferrite rings last night to try.

Helix 12 CHIRP MEGA SI+ GPS G3N and G4N, 1198c SI, SOLIX 10 SI G3,
Helix 8 MEGA SI+ GPS G4N, SOLIX 12 SI and G3, MEGA 360, MEGA LIVE TL, RC-1
Re: Fishfinder / trolling motor interference [Re: Wayne P.] #12000601 12/23/16 11:41 PM
shut-up-and-fish Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
Originally Posted By: shut-up-and-fish

No, since I don't use an on board charger connected to my starting battery or extra battery to run my electronics. I get the RFI using either battery.
I use the extra battery when fishing electric-only waters.

With my Helix 12 CHIRP SI GPS, I was not getting RFI at first, then after installing the first software update, I get RFI on 800 kHz SI. It's really no bother though since I don't use 800 kHz. I just mess with it occasionally to see if I can solve it.

Just ordered a couple of Mix 43 ferrite rings last night to try.

[Linked Image]
www.shut-up-and-fish.com
From *Sales, *Installation Services, and *On the shop floor Education & Instructional Tips
We have you covered here @ shut-up-and-fish for all of your Humminbird, Lowrance,
Garmin, Minn Kota & Motorguide needs plus much more - Call Now 972 822 9285
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide