Page 1 of 2 1 2
Getting into Bass Fishing on the Fly #11993623 12/19/16 09:36 PM
C
Connor S Offline OP
Angler
OP Offline
Angler
C
I'm wanting to get into fly fishing for the big green ones this year and I'm wondering what gear is necessary for catching big fish on the fly.

I've done pretty well with conventional tackle but I'm wanting to try and chase some lake records on the fly this year so I'm assuming I'll need gear on the stouter side of things. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Biggest questions
- Rod length and power
- Floating and Sinking line size or test
- Leader material and size
- what are some larger profile bass flies

Thanks for your help! Tight Lines!

I say we fish 5 days a week and work 2.
Re: Getting into Bass Fishing on the Fly [Re: Connor S] #11993683 12/19/16 10:13 PM
T
Texjbq Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
T

This is my take on the Gullyworm. Catches bass. Fish low and slow. If I wanted a setup to only chase trophy bass I'd go 8'0 to 8'6 Ft 9 WT, sinking line, 20 - 30 lb Fluoro 5-6 ft leader.

Last edited by Texjbq; 12/19/16 10:29 PM.
Re: Getting into Bass Fishing on the Fly [Re: Connor S] #11993781 12/19/16 11:10 PM
B
Bruce Mc Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
B
Connor, this past summer I started back into fly fishing after drag line fishing for 30 years. I had many of the questions your asking mainly due to modern technology in fly tackle that I had not paid attentionu to over the years. I've bought fly rods from 7 to 9 weight and I like them all. I really like a light casting 7 wgt but would think twice about fishing in heavy cover. A 9 weight is plenty stout but I get a little fatiqued after a few hours of steady casting. I' ve found the 8 wgt to be about ideal. I now have three of them. I guess I like the momma bear rod. My advice would be go to a shop that will let you try them out. Pick out the best you can afford and let her rip. I like using mono knotless salt water leaders for bass. They cast big flies better and are more resistant to abrasion. Rio redfish leaders at 12lbs are my favorite. 1/0 poppers are fun and 1/0 and 2/0 deceivers in chartreuse catch the most fish for me. I use a wf-F fly line. I'm far from an expert fly fisher but those first few steps will be easier if you get some first hand advice, in person, at a pro shop. Good luck. By the way, get the wallet greased.

"Garg 'nuair dh�isgear"
Re: Getting into Bass Fishing on the Fly [Re: Connor S] #11993782 12/19/16 11:10 PM
C
Connor S Offline OP
Angler
OP Offline
Angler
C
Thanks, that looks really nice!

Re: Getting into Bass Fishing on the Fly [Re: Connor S] #11993791 12/19/16 11:16 PM
C
Connor S Offline OP
Angler
OP Offline
Angler
C
AH Bruce, thats where you and me differ, I make my own rods and will be tying my flies myself. So I'll be saving a lot of coin there. But I'll definitely be going into a few local shops to pick their brains.

I really appreciate the advise and the tips keep em coming!

Re: Getting into Bass Fishing on the Fly [Re: Connor S] #11993792 12/19/16 11:16 PM
R
RexW Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
R
Connor, you will probably receive differing opinions on the best equipment, flies, and techniques to use for bass fishing with a fly rod. Keep in mind that there are a lot of different places to bass fish, and some answers may be more appropriate for a farm pond while another answer may be better for fishing Sam Rayburn. Would you use the same conventional gear for every situation ranging from a river to a pond to a large reservoir?

The bottomline is that just like with conventional gear, there is no one size fits all answer. The location, the target depth, amount of cover, etc. all should be considered with fly fishing, just like they are with conventional gear. For example, I will use different equipment to fish for small mouths in the rocks on Texoma than I would use for topwater fishing in heavy timber on Fork. I also choose different equipment when wading than when fishing from a bass boat.

It sounds like you are an experienced at bass fishing with conventional gear. If you will describe how you like to fish and when you want to use a fly rod, we can provide better answers. Personally, when I switched from using conventional gear, I decided how I would fish a situation normally (worm, jig, rattle trap, topwater, etc. and how deep the bait needed to be fished) and then pick the fly type and rigging to duplicate those baits (as much as possible anyway).

A floating fly line is best for topwater and near surface conditions. The most effective depth with a floating line is about 3 to 4 feet or less.

If you want to target 3 to about 12 foot depth, sink tip lines can generally cover this range. But the length of the sinking is available in different lengths and sinking rates (how fast the line will sink). In general, the deeper you want to fish, the longer the sink tip needs to be and the faster youll want it to sink. However, the shorter the sinking head, the easier is it to learn to cast it.

If you want go deeper than 15 feet, it can be done. The line choices become more technical and I would not recommend fishing this deep for a beginner trying to learn to fly fish. Personally, I think there are better options than fly fishing when you get to 20+ foot depths.

General comments on rod/line weight. The higher the number, the larger the fly that can be easily cast. The size of the fly and the fishing conditions should dictate the equipment size more than the size of the target fish (obviously, there are exceptions, I would not use the same rod to fish for a billfish that I would use for a bluegill.)

5 wts and 6 wts are the most common general purpose rod sizes and both of them will bass fish just fine. But they will limit the size of the fly that can be easily cast and neither will handle heavy timber conditions very well. As a general statement, you can cover a wide range of fly fishing conditions with 2 rod sizes; pick either odd or even and skip a size (pair a 4 wt with an 8 wt, or a 5 wt and 9 wt, or a 3 wt and a 7 wt.) Start with the heavier (larger number) first then add the smaller rod, if you plan to start with bass (you'll eventually fill in the missing sizes, but this one option when you're getting started). I use a 7 wt most of the time on Texoma, but that lake has very little brush and timber. 9 wts and even 10 wts are popular on heavily timbered lakes when you need to muscle the fish out of the cover quickly. (Another general comment, most folks tend to find lower wt rods to be more fun to fish, similar to comparing a spinning rod to pitching rod.)

If youll give us more details about how and where you plan to use the rod, you probably get better answers.

By the way, a small mouth on a fly rod is a blast!

Fly Fishers International certified casting instructor
TFO Rods pro staff
Re: Getting into Bass Fishing on the Fly [Re: Connor S] #11993801 12/19/16 11:23 PM
R
RexW Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
R
Bruce is correct, saltwater fly patterns make excellent bass flies.

Connor, some people may laugh at the comment about saving money tying your own flies. Most of us haven't been very successful at that...

But, fly tying is fun. smile

TFO Rods pro staff
Re: Getting into Bass Fishing on the Fly [Re: Connor S] #11993803 12/19/16 11:24 PM
B
Bruce Mc Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
B
Connor, you got me on the rods, but I do tie my own flies. It still ain' t cheap.

"Garg 'nuair dh�isgear"
Re: Getting into Bass Fishing on the Fly [Re: Connor S] #11993804 12/19/16 11:27 PM
jrod88 Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
food I'm following for the advice. I plan on hitting some bass as well next year. I picked up a 5wt. but once I saw the big flies available for bass I knew I needed (wanted) heavier line. I planned on a 7wt. but the Helios 2 Covert caught my eye and its only offered in 5 or 8. Now I'll be covered on those rare trips I take to S. Padre and should be able to throw any N. TX fly between my two rods.

Re: Getting into Bass Fishing on the Fly [Re: Connor S] #11993815 12/19/16 11:33 PM
R
RexW Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
R

Hey, for those of you in the DFW area, I plan to talk about some of these equipment topics at the next Dallas Fly Fishers meeting on January 9. We'll talk about casting starting at 5:30 and the main meeting will start at 7:00 with a discussion on lines, leaders, and fly design. The meeting is free and open to anyone that shows up.

TFO Rods pro staff
Re: Getting into Bass Fishing on the Fly [Re: Connor S] #11993873 12/20/16 12:18 AM
G
Glitchmo Offline
Angler
Angler
G
I agree with what RexW said above. You mentioned you were record hunting -- I would start with an 8 then. I fish a 5 more often, but I'm fishing park ponds from the bank, it sounds like you're after more serious fish than that. I would also start with a floating line, especially if you don't have much fly casting background. Most manufacturers offer a "bass" taper of one sort or another.

Sinking lines are more difficult to work with, and you're almost better off just fishing conventional at a certain point.

I fish Clouser minnows almost all the time for bass, because that's what I've caught them on the most, which is a bit self-fulfilling and cyclical. I wouldn't call them "large profile" though.

Re: Getting into Bass Fishing on the Fly [Re: Connor S] #11993937 12/20/16 01:05 AM
B
BoPro Offline
Angler
Angler
B
I say go with a 8wt if you want to throw big poppers and flies for bass. I use a 7wt for streamers, but my 9 wt casts the big wind resistant poppers easier, granted, for bass you don't need to cast 40+ ft. I've fished the shorter Sage bass series, but still prefer a 9 ft rod in 6wt at up. But just my preference. Look into the Rio Outbound lines in floating and intermediate. They cast pretty well with minimal false casting, point and shoot. If I need to go deeper, I'll put on a 15ft sink tip.

Re: Getting into Bass Fishing on the Fly [Re: Glitchmo] #11995075 12/20/16 06:50 PM
R
RexW Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
R
Originally Posted By: Glitchmo
I fish Clouser minnows almost all the time for bass, because that's what I've caught them on the most, which is a bit self-fulfilling and cyclical. I wouldn't call them "large profile" though.

Glitchmo, you can increase the profile of a Clouser by adding a spinner blade. Bass love 'em.

TFO Rods pro staff
Re: Getting into Bass Fishing on the Fly [Re: Connor S] #11995421 12/20/16 10:29 PM
C
Connor S Offline OP
Angler
OP Offline
Angler
C
I appreciate the big response out of everyone.

Rex-

I have some experience with fishing a wide array of techniques, from fly fishing for trout in streams to chucking 12oz 14 inch swimbaits for bass, and I fish a lot of different places seasons and conditions; so I totally understand the need for specific gear in certain situations.. My wife may not see the need for 35 different rod and reel setups for different applications, conditions, baits etc. but it matters and I digress wink .. so I'm very glad you asked that question. So to answer your question of how I fish, or how I plan to fish rather.

I plan on targeting 5+ pound fish, from a boat, during the warmer months of the year, on our central Texas reservoirs and lakes, in and around heavy cover much like I would with my conventional gear. I'm wanting to mostly throw topwater or shallow subsurface baits, and large ones at that. I'm a believer that big baits catch big fish, so I'm thinking of starting out tying some musky or saltwater flies, and some large frogs or 10" long rats.

I have fly fished before but I would call myself a novice at best when it comes to casting techniques, experience, and general fly fishing knowledge.

I'm looking to build myself one rod that I can incorporate into my conventional fishing arsenal to utilize when the conditions are optimal for large bass on top.

Thanks!

Last edited by Connor S; 12/20/16 10:34 PM.

Re: Getting into Bass Fishing on the Fly [Re: Connor S] #11995490 12/20/16 11:09 PM
krawlin 47 Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
this thread has me all excited...fun stuff to read!

Whether you think you can or you can't, you are probably right.
Re: Getting into Bass Fishing on the Fly [Re: Connor S] #11995514 12/20/16 11:25 PM
B
BoPro Offline
Angler
Angler
B
Originally Posted By: Connor S
I appreciate the big response out of everyone.

I'm a believer that big baits catch big fish, so I'm thinking of starting out tying some musky or saltwater flies, and some large frogs or 10" long rats.

Thanks!

Connor - When I was up in Canada targeting big pike, I was throwing huge flies on my 9wt TCX with Rio Outbound out of boat. I had no issues getting it out 40+ ft over weeds and other cover. If you plan on throwing big flies, get a bigger rod IMO.

The flies were about 8 inches give or take.

Re: Getting into Bass Fishing on the Fly [Re: Connor S] #11995627 12/21/16 12:35 AM
G
Glitchmo Offline
Angler
Angler
G
That many feathers in one place is a bird, not a fly. shocked

Last edited by Glitchmo; 12/21/16 12:35 AM.
Re: Getting into Bass Fishing on the Fly [Re: Connor S] #11995732 12/21/16 01:36 AM
R
Robert Hunter Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
R
Bopro knows I like his style with that! I do t target small bass though I am trying to seek out the biggest fattest girl under the surface when I'm fishing for bass. Go down the bass I'll add Academy Bass Pro Cabelas etc. and look at bass Lewers in the conventional section think big think 7 inch power worms 10 inch power worms big bulky football jigs ten inch power worms go down the Bass Isle at academy,Bass Pro,Cabelas etc. and look at bass lures in the conventional section think big think 7 inch power worms 10 inch power worms big bulky football jigs Ten xd crank baits big swim baits

[Linked Image] [Linked Image] [url=https://postimages.org/][img]https://i.postimg.cc/bsQJFvLj/
Re: Getting into Bass Fishing on the Fly [Re: Connor S] #11995749 12/21/16 01:46 AM
R
Robert Hunter Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
R
Don't take that to mean big bass don't eat small. I have caught two pretty good bass on very small stuff the last two years. One on the 4weight one on the 3weight. I was fishing for Crappie both times. I simply call this fly the big ugly it's big it's ugly and it catches big bass LOL.

[Linked Image] [Linked Image] [url=https://postimages.org/][img]https://i.postimg.cc/bsQJFvLj/
Re: Getting into Bass Fishing on the Fly [Re: Connor S] #11996609 12/21/16 04:44 PM
T
txbassnewbie Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
T
I personally like my sage smallmouth and lmb rod it is short and can throw and turnover big flies like deer hair. if your fishing a pond with lots of weeds I like a nice stout rod with heavy tippet as most bass will dive into the weeds and a stout rod will let you get them out of the weeds without breaking the tippet.

Re: Getting into Bass Fishing on the Fly [Re: Glitchmo] #11996623 12/21/16 04:51 PM
C
Connor S Offline OP
Angler
OP Offline
Angler
C
Originally Posted By: Glitchmo
That many feathers in one place is a bird, not a fly. shocked

roflmao

Re: Getting into Bass Fishing on the Fly [Re: txbassnewbie] #11997391 12/21/16 11:41 PM
R
Robert Hunter Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
R
Originally Posted By: txbassnewbie
I personally like my sage smallmouth and lmb rod it is short and can throw and turnover big flies like deer hair. if your fishing a pond with lots of weeds I like a nice stout rod with heavy tippet as most bass will dive into the weeds and a stout rod will let you get them out of the weeds without breaking the tippet.
^^this is good advise for bass fishing

Re: Getting into Bass Fishing on the Fly [Re: Connor S] #11997450 12/22/16 12:15 AM
B
BoPro Offline
Angler
Angler
B
Listen to Robert. He knows how to catch big fish. I just like throwing wet socks, cause little fish annoy me... haha.. cheers!

Re: Getting into Bass Fishing on the Fly [Re: RexW] #12003192 12/25/16 08:21 PM
A
AlexG Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
A
My experience as a fly fisher for bass and rod builder is that I better be doing it for love not money or I'll lose every time. I tie my flies because I can't find commercial flies that mimick local bait. But mostly I enjoy it. I build rods because I enjoy it period - can't compete with the Chinese or Koreans. smile

Re: Getting into Bass Fishing on the Fly [Re: AlexG] #12005918 12/27/16 05:40 PM
C
Connor S Offline OP
Angler
OP Offline
Angler
C
Originally Posted By: AlexG
My experience as a fly fisher for bass and rod builder is that I better be doing it for love not money or I'll lose every time. I tie my flies because I can't find commercial flies that mimick local bait. But mostly I enjoy it. I build rods because I enjoy it period - can't compete with the Chinese or Koreans. smile

AMEN, I build my own rods, jigs, flies etc it because I'm passionate about fishing, period.

Although, it is pretty nice that I can build a rod that costs $80-$130 that performs like an $600-$800 fly rod with a brand name on it. bannana2

Page 1 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide