Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
how to use a jig #11986263 12/15/16 10:14 PM
F
FaithMurr Offline OP
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
F
ok guys, im back for some more knowledge. i have 4 hart tackles justice jigs, 2 black and blue, 2 green pumpkin. only problem is i have little to no knowldge on how to use them o.O i went yesterday with one of each color, rigged with and without rattles, and with and without trailers craws. i did them slow hops, dragging, long pauses, short pauses, shaking rod tip, combinations of all those i mentioned no bites.

i have the standard weights and size of that brand from walmart. am i using jigs too big or doing the wrong presentation? any help will be appreciated. many thanks and happy holidays to all. smile

Hi, I'm Faith and I'm addicted to fishing. Now if you don't mind, I'll be getting back to my fishing.
Moritz Chevrolet - 9101 Camp Bowie W Blvd, Fort Worth, TX - Monte Coon (817) 696-2003
Re: how to use a jig [Re: FaithMurr] #11986292 12/15/16 10:36 PM
L
LinkLowrance Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
L
I always fish a jig with a trailer. If you can catch them on a texas rig, you can catch them on a jig.

Target rocks, wood, or some kind of structure. There are endless ways that you can "work" a jig, so once you know you're on fish, try different things until they tell you what they want.

Re: how to use a jig [Re: FaithMurr] #11986513 12/16/16 12:58 AM
T
toofy Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
T
I've never even gotten a bite on a jig. I'm starting to think it's an inside joke and everyone is laughing at me. Like Snipe hunting. Or the windmill on Ray Roberts.

Re: how to use a jig [Re: FaithMurr] #11986515 12/16/16 12:59 AM
epicoutdoors Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
There are times when bass jigs will rock and there are times when they won't touch them. Many times the more bulky profile of a jig is ignored and a slimmer profile t-rig bait will get bit. Sounds like you are fishing it reasonably well but don't try to force feed them with a jig if it's not getting any action.

Re: how to use a jig [Re: toofy] #11986519 12/16/16 01:01 AM
N
Nathan_Flovin Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
N
Originally Posted By: toofy
I've never even gotten a bite on a jig. I'm starting to think it's an inside joke and everyone is laughing at me. Like Snipe hunting. Or the windmill on Ray Roberts.
+1

Re: how to use a jig [Re: epicoutdoors] #11986605 12/16/16 01:52 AM
E
ezbassin Online Content
TFF Guru
Online Content
TFF Guru
E
Originally Posted By: epicoutdoors
There are times when bass jigs will rock and there are times when they won't touch them. Many times the more bulky profile of a jig is ignored and a slimmer profile t-rig bait will get bit. Sounds like you are fishing it reasonably well but don't try to force feed them with a jig if it's not getting any action.

+1

I love throwing a jig because of the size of the fish that it will usually catch but that is if they are on a jig bite. Like he said above, you can't force feed it to them if they don't want it so don't get discouraged if you aren't getting bit. Sooner or later you will get bit on the jig and you will like the results. Always use a trailer on the jig. I like the Zoom ultra vibe speed craw, Grande Bass Mega claw, Xcite raptor craw jr, Strike King rage craws, and Netbait Baby Paca craws best.

I mostly fish on Lake Fork so I pitch a jig to a lot of timber and under boat docks.

Last edited by ezbassin; 12/16/16 01:53 AM.
Re: how to use a jig [Re: FaithMurr] #11986644 12/16/16 02:20 AM
Donald Harper Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
There is no doubt about it. A jig gets fewer bites day in and day out. Although when you put that jig in front of a Big Bass and the jig is holding all the right senses that she is looking for then you better be ready. I want to know that there are fish there before using a jig. I will find these fish with other baits and also using the side scan to locate them before picking up the jig.

I want my custom jigs to have the following:
- Sight- It must have the right earth tone colors for the lake and weather conditions of that day; like stained water, clear water, cloudy day, sunny day and depth that you are fishing it. The deeper the water the more strands I put into the skirt material.
- Sound - My jigs have 1/2 inch dome eyes with a BB under each dome. My smaller jigs can carry the double spider rattle chambers.
- Smell - All my jig skirts are Crayfish or Craylic scented. I also keep putting the scent on every 20 minutes or so because I want it leaving a trail in the water.
- Vibration - My hand poured trailers are Crayfish or Craylic scented and give the vibration needed when I move it slightly.
- Movement - My Living Rubber Skirts provide that slight movement when the jig is at rest that silicone skirts do not give. Also silicone does not hold the scent very well.

Each person you work with holds some promise to your future success.
Websiite Sponsors:
www.eletewater.com - Staying Hydrated
www.lakeoviachic.com - Booking Mexico Trips
20 Hot Spot Mapping - GPS Contour Chips - Custom Spinner Baits - Jigs -Spooks
Pure Extracts - Minnow-Night Crawler-Crayfish-Craylic

Re: how to use a jig [Re: toofy] #11986688 12/16/16 02:37 AM
B
Bobby Milam Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
B

I used to feel the same way. I finally took a guided trip and he had me throwing the jig. Now I love it. I always have one tied on but don't use it that much because you can sometimes just throw it all day and never get a bite. When I find a place that they work, I love it because once you hook them, they aren't coming off.

Re: how to use a jig [Re: FaithMurr] #11986709 12/16/16 02:48 AM
B.Hollingshead Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
In colder water temps I use more of a mop style jig, also don't tend to match your trailer to the jig mix match it seems to work a lot better in colder water. Blk/Blu jig with a Green pumkin trailer is my go to in winter jig fishing. Your technique is all correct you just have to play with what the fish want. They will tell you everything.

Branden Hollingshead

38-DD's and counting
Re: how to use a jig [Re: FaithMurr] #11986870 12/16/16 03:53 AM
T
tejasbass Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
T
I felt the same way back in the 80's. I had never caught a fish on a jig. Stanley Stanford was a heck of a jig fisherman. He gave me 5 jigs (3/8 oz blk/blue) and 10 blk/blue craw worms and 10 glass rattles. He told me to go to Palestine on a day they were biting. He then said, take two rods and tie a jig on each. Leave everything else at home except the jigs & craw worms. Fish from daylight to 3:00 and tell me what you think of a jig when you are done. I caught my first two jig fish that day. Stanley was also big on scent.

Re: how to use a jig [Re: FaithMurr] #11986871 12/16/16 03:53 AM
Jake Shannon(Skeet4Life) Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
I'll have a video on jig fishing out the end of next week. Brandon can catch them on a jig so I would listen to his advice!! I also like a larger trailer in winter, when you add that larger trailer to a 3/8oz jig you get a really good fall rate when fishing 5-10FOW. Black and Blue is hard to beat for color also a green pumpkin with some orange as well as a black/brown amber color.

Re: how to use a jig [Re: FaithMurr] #11987004 12/16/16 05:49 AM
NickHasty Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
If you want to learn how to jig fish, jig fish. Go to the lake with your jig rod/reel and 3 or 4 jigs and a bag of trailers. Keep it simple. Leave everything else at home. You arent doing anything wrong, you can't fish them wrong. You just haven't been bit and don't have confidence in a jig yet. So, fish them, and get your confidence up! Once u get into it you'll learn more about the different types of jigs, their purpose, etc.

Last edited by NickHasty; 12/16/16 06:18 AM.
Re: how to use a jig [Re: toofy] #11987046 12/16/16 07:58 AM
F
FaithMurr Offline OP
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
F
this is how i felt:

I'm starting to think it's an inside joke and everyone is laughing at me.

maybe like most said, it wasnt a jig day.

i put my rods up for the season, or maybe keep my baitcaster out for those warm days. im planning on doing some deep cleaning on all the rods and reels, even the kiddos rods and reels for next fishing season. im hoping to start again in feb 2017.

thanks everyone for your input smile

Hi, I'm Faith and I'm addicted to fishing. Now if you don't mind, I'll be getting back to my fishing.
Re: how to use a jig [Re: FaithMurr] #11987048 12/16/16 08:56 AM
B
bo james Offline
Angler
Angler
B
as with any fishing lure, you have to be throwing it in front of fish. there are just times when i jig might not be the best lure, but most often it will at least catch some bass if you just put it on and do not put it down. fish a jig pretty much any of the same manners tat you would a t-rig. there are times of the year that different retrieve types will produce much better over others. experiment until you find what is working for the day. choosing the correct weight is critical as this will affect the fall rate, and having the right speed is critical to triggering bites.

the right size and type of trailer is important for various times of the year and different water temps.

bo

Re: how to use a jig [Re: bo james] #11987062 12/16/16 10:39 AM
F
FaithMurr Offline OP
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
F
Originally Posted By: bo james
as with any fishing lure, you have to be throwing it in front of fish. there are just times when i jig might not be the best lure, but most often it will at least catch some bass if you just put it on and do not put it down. fish a jig pretty much any of the same manners tat you would a t-rig. there are times of the year that different retrieve types will produce much better over others. experiment until you find what is working for the day. choosing the correct weight is critical as this will affect the fall rate, and having the right speed is critical to triggering bites.

the right size and type of trailer is important for various times of the year and different water temps.

bo

thanks, i been up all night wondering about the jig, like you said fish it like a trig. i really felt comfy doing it that way. im honestly contemplating whether or not i should give the jigs a few more chances, maybe after the cold front, (not weather ready to fish in cold weather.)

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide