Forums59
Topics1,037,823
Posts13,935,144
Members144,150
Most Online39,925
Dec 30th, 2023
Print Thread
Page 4 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Re: My Thoughts On Bowfishing And The Conservation Of Alligator Gar [Re: Froghunter] #11978213 12/11/16 09:45 PM
S
SharkBaitTV Offline OP
Pro Angler
OP Offline
Pro Angler
S
Originally Posted By: Froghunter

thats just funny.
i haven't edited a thing.
i meant everything i said, and stand behind it.

"Conservation is the preservation of life on earth, and that, above all else, is worth fighting for."
Re: My Thoughts On Bowfishing And The Conservation Of Alligator Gar [Re: SharkBaitTV] #11979864 12/12/16 04:44 PM
D
DaleR Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
D
All I can say is I am not a fishing or bow hunting guide, I am not a bow "fisher", I am just a simple fisherman that has been fishing the Trinity River all of my 47 years. I have lived within 50 miles of the river all of my life and currently live about 3 mile from the river.

I do not know if there are to many or not enough gar of whatever size. I rely on TPWD to tell me that.

I do know that it is wrong to kill native animals and fish with absolutely no intention of utilizing the animal/fish.

What I wrote about previously is not made up by some one with a monetary interest in the issue It is what I have witnessed with my own eyes many many times over the years.

When the water flow is right below the Lake Livingston dam it is quite common to see three or four tricked out bow fishing boats each night.

Each morning the banks will be lined with dead fish that each have a single hole in them. That is fact, I have witnessed this many times over the years.

Some say that bringing this up will deprive "men of their rights". I disagree, what will deprive men of their rights is not this type of conversation.

What will deprive men of their rights is those that abuse those rights, disregard the laws regarding those rights and those that refuse to admit there is a problem.

If you have no problem with shooting native fish species and not utilizing them then say so. We all now that next to no one is using these native buffalo and gar for a legitimate purpose.

Re: My Thoughts On Bowfishing And The Conservation Of Alligator Gar [Re: SharkBaitTV] #11979936 12/12/16 05:24 PM
S
SharkBaitTV Offline OP
Pro Angler
OP Offline
Pro Angler
S
^respect everything you said

"Conservation is the preservation of life on earth, and that, above all else, is worth fighting for."
Re: My Thoughts On Bowfishing And The Conservation Of Alligator Gar [Re: SharkBaitTV] #11980641 12/12/16 11:30 PM
W
winchester44 Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
W

EXCERPT FROM TEXAS PARKS AND WILDLIFE'S WEBSITE ON TPW CLOSING FISHING DURING SPAWNING CONDITIONS:

Alligator gar populations are believed to be declining throughout much of their historical range in North America, which includes the Mississippi River system as well as the coastal rivers of the Gulf of Mexico from Florida to northern Mexico. Although the specific severity of these declines is unknown, habitat alteration and over-exploitation are thought to be partially responsible. Alligator gar have been extirpated in Illinois, Indiana, and Ohio and designated as a Species of Concern in Oklahoma and Kentucky. In addition, the Endangered Fishes Committee of the American Fisheries Society has listed the alligator gar as Vulnerable. Observed declines in other states, vulnerability to overfishing, and increased interest in the harvest of trophy gar indicate that a conservative management approach is warranted. Since 2009, the department has conducted (and is continuing to conduct) research to determine the estimated harvest of alligator gar, quantify reproduction, understand habitat usage, and determine geographic differences in populations. Initial analysis of the research data indicate that alligator gar in Texas have the greatest chance of spawning success if the creation of preferred spawning habitat (the seasonal inundation of low-lying areas of vegetation) occurs in late spring through early summer. Since each year does not necessarily bring seasonal inundation at the optimum time, spawning success varies greatly. For example, department data for the middle Trinity River indicate that between 1980 and 2010, strong reproductive success occurred in only five years (1980, 1989, 1990, 1991, and 2007). Furthermore, in 21 of the years between 1980 and 2010, reproductive success was nonexistent or weak, and in many of these years, rainfall was low or drought conditions occurred. Because the conditions for spawning do not exist on a regular or cyclical basis, and because spawning occurs in shallow waters where numerous gar can be concentrated in one area, alligator gar are extremely vulnerable to harvest during spawning. To protect alligator gar from excessive harvest during spawning, the proposed new rule would allow the executive director of the department to prohibit the take of alligator in an affected area. The proposed new rule would require the executive director to provide appropriate public notice when an affected area is declared and when lawful fishing for alligator may resume, and would limit the duration of a prohibition to no more than 30 days. The proposed new rule is necessary to manage alligator gar populations and ensure their ability to perpetuate themselves successfully.

Last edited by winchester44; 12/12/16 11:30 PM.
Re: My Thoughts On Bowfishing And The Conservation Of Alligator Gar [Re: winchester44] #11980902 12/13/16 02:12 AM
B
bassmastah Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
B
This is ridiculous! You're talking about one small fishery! Go to Amistad or Falcon and see hundred pounders exploding all over the lake!! I would like to see a 5 fish bag limit everywhere but your precious Trinity. catch and release only for the Trinity. Would that satisfy you!!

Re: My Thoughts On Bowfishing And The Conservation Of Alligator Gar [Re: bassmastah] #11980931 12/13/16 02:25 AM
D
dmunsie Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
D
Originally Posted By: bassmastah
This is ridiculous! You're talking about one small fishery!

Where fish of 200+lbs live. Maybe even 250-300lbs. That's why that area of the Trinity is worth better management of truly epic fish.

Go to Amistad or Falcon and see hundred pounders exploding all over the lake!!

Next time you're there please shoot some video of all these 100lb fish. Not saying it's not true, would just love to see a video of that. I wonder how many fish over 100-150lbs there is in those lakes?

Last edited by dmunsie; 12/13/16 02:25 AM.
Re: My Thoughts On Bowfishing And The Conservation Of Alligator Gar [Re: SharkBaitTV] #11980978 12/13/16 02:40 AM
C
ChuChu1 Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
C
Merry Christmas everyone!

Snowflakes and entitled brats will be the doom of America!

Re: My Thoughts On Bowfishing And The Conservation Of Alligator Gar [Re: dmunsie] #11980989 12/13/16 02:43 AM
B
bassmastah Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
B
Shoot video...really? I'm gonna guess you've never fished either lake. GIANT fish are exploding on the surface in 100 ft of water in the middle of the lakes....bass,crappie,catfish,carp??? I guess it could be Moby Dick! BTW: After a couple of years of research and study PAWS has increased the bag limit to 5 on Falcon. Big props to James at Falcon Lake Tackle for his efforts.

Re: My Thoughts On Bowfishing And The Conservation Of Alligator Gar [Re: SharkBaitTV] #11980998 12/13/16 02:45 AM
C
ChuChu1 Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
C
What is PAWS?

Re: My Thoughts On Bowfishing And The Conservation Of Alligator Gar [Re: SharkBaitTV] #11981014 12/13/16 02:50 AM
B
bassmastah Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
B
Parks and Wildlife Services.

Re: My Thoughts On Bowfishing And The Conservation Of Alligator Gar [Re: SharkBaitTV] #11981158 12/13/16 04:20 AM
C
ChuChu1 Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
C
It is Texas Parks and Wildlife Department. Not Parks and Wildlife Services.

Re: My Thoughts On Bowfishing And The Conservation Of Alligator Gar [Re: bassmastah] #11981398 12/13/16 01:34 PM
D
DaleR Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
D
This is ridiculous! You're talking about one small fishery! Go to Amistad or Falcon and see hundred pounders exploding all over the lake!! I would like to see a 5 fish bag limit everywhere but your precious Trinity. catch and release only for the Trinity. Would that satisfy you!!

So that makes it OK to kill them and leave them to rot?

I have no problem with harvest of these animals by bow, my issue is the fact that most people are killing these fish taking a picture and then leaving them to rot. I don't care what native species it is that is wrong in my opinion and the law of the State of Texas says the same they call it "Wanton Waste".

And yes taking it off some where away from the Lake/River then dumping so no one can see is the same Wanton Waste as shooting it and dumping it in the water. The very fact that often the person does dump them out of site out of mind says right there that they know it is not right otherwise why hide it.

Again if you have no problem with killing a native animal and tossing it aside like so much trash then by all means say so. Be honest about it and admit what we all know, and that is the fact that the majority of these native Gar and Buffalo are being shot and tossed away as trash. Present your logical thought out reasons for believing that it is OK.

Last edited by DaleR; 12/13/16 01:35 PM.
Re: My Thoughts On Bowfishing And The Conservation Of Alligator Gar [Re: SharkBaitTV] #11981489 12/13/16 02:14 PM
C
ChuChu1 Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
C
de
de

Re: My Thoughts On Bowfishing And The Conservation Of Alligator Gar [Re: bassmastah] #11981792 12/13/16 04:07 PM
786 Offline
Angler
Angler
Shoot video...really? I'm gonna guess you've never fished either lake. GIANT fish are exploding on the surface in 100 ft of water in the middle of the lakes....bass,crappie,catfish,carp??? I guess it could be Moby Dick! BTW: After a couple of years of research and study PAWS has increased the bag limit to 5 on Falcon. Big props to James at Falcon Lake Tackle for his efforts.

When fishing is bad, scapegoats abound. At Falcon, first it was the alligator gar supposedly causing the problem, then it was supposedly cormorants. TPWD studies didn't show any impact of alligator gar on bass. A tiny percentage were found in stomach contents. Not satisfied with that, a certain person said it was because the gar had eaten most of the bass already. With most of the bass supposedly eaten the fishery has been doing strangely well in a short period of time, even with nothing being done about the cormorants and no scientific evidence to show what positive impact the 5-fish bag is having on alligator gar or bass.

Re: My Thoughts On Bowfishing And The Conservation Of Alligator Gar [Re: bassmastah] #12015742 01/02/17 03:25 PM
W
winchester44 Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
W

Falcon does have a 10 fish possession limit for alligator gar. The rest of the state is 1 alligator gar. Personally, I'd like to see the limits be based on the observations of the state biologists.

Last edited by winchester44; 01/02/17 03:26 PM.
Page 4 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide