Page 1 of 2 1 2
On the Reel? #11972898 12/08/16 01:56 PM
J
J-Moe Online Content OP
TFF Team Angler
OP Online Content
TFF Team Angler
J
A friend of mine called me yesterday. He was fishing in the spillway and hooked a 4 lb. hybrid. He put it on the reel and it broke his reel. He said the bearing fell in the water the pieces were everywhere and he had to fight the fish in by hand. I just laughed at him and told him that would not have happened to me because I never use a reel grin

Since he caught one I had to go check it out for myself of course. I caught this 5 lb. hybrid on my 4 weight with 6 lb. tippet and a size 8 fly. And no, I didn't put it on the reel. For me, it just doesn't feel like fly fishing anymore when I put a fish on the reel. I've caught multiple carp, lmb, hybrids and buffalo over 5 lbs., including a 14 lb. buffalo on the same setup, and never used the reel.

So my question is, at what point do y'all put fish on the reel?

Re: On the Reel? [Re: J-Moe] #11972985 12/08/16 02:33 PM
B
BoPro Offline
Angler
Angler
B
Most of the freshwater fish I catch don't take me to the reel. They really don't make long runs after being hooked. I generally have enough line out to use my fingers as the drag. I did hook into a 16 lb striper with less than 30ft of line out, and it took me to the reel pretty quick.

Saltwater is a whole other game. Hook into a bonefish, and you'll be glad you have that drag.

Re: On the Reel? [Re: J-Moe] #11973050 12/08/16 03:01 PM
K
karstopo Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
K
At some point, I will put bigger redfish on the reel or more likely they force the issue and put themselves on the reel. A fish weighing 8-10# can break 15# tippet by making a strong sudden move. There is usually a time in the fight after the eat that I manage without the reel. I've lost big fish like heavier reds and jacks during this time when they make sudden strong lunges, direction changes, and runs. It's hard for me to react fast enough to let the line slip through my fingers. Fish under 5 pounds or so I can and do manage without the reel. I put them on the reel late in the fight if I bring them into the kayak as they end up messing up all the line laying there if I don't.

I like having a big fish pull out line on the reel. Nothing better for me than when one gets into the backing working against the rod and reel and line drag. Maybe I should try to hang in there longer just using my fingers. I wear those little Lycra stripping guards and that may prevent rope burn.

Speckled trout and any other fish I'll try to shake off at the boat if I'm not keeping them. I put bigger specks on the reel with a very light drag just to prevent tearing the hook from their delicate mouth membranes.

Re: On the Reel? [Re: J-Moe] #11973061 12/08/16 03:06 PM
SweetRay Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
The fish gets put on th reel if it makes it through my slack line. I started fly fishing with reels without drags and got used to palming the reel. Also used to fish in the pacific off the coast of Canada for salmon trolling with knuckle buster reels. Palm the reel or lose the fish do it wrong and you get bloody knuckles. That reel that broke looks like my lamson konic reel but not sure. Haven't had any trouble with mine maybe some sand had gotten into it. What ever reel it is I would send it in with a nice letter about how much he loved the reel until it died and see what happens. Nice fish to both of you!

Fishing
Re: On the Reel? [Re: J-Moe] #11973669 12/08/16 08:15 PM
J
J-Moe Online Content OP
TFF Team Angler
OP Online Content
TFF Team Angler
J
Great posts guys. I've had some long runs, but never into the backing yet. I grew up salt water fishing with conventional gear and understand that difference too, especially in open water. Those sudden jerks and pulls cost me a few hybrids, especially at first, but that seems to be a big part of the challenge and enjoyment. It also sounds like I'm pushing my luck on fish bigger than 5 lbs., especially in current.

Always great information, Thanks thumb

Re: On the Reel? [Re: J-Moe] #11973826 12/08/16 09:33 PM
G
Glitchmo Offline
Angler
Angler
G
They have to earn the reel, for me.

I've lost too many fish while holding the line and trying to reel up slack.

Re: On the Reel? [Re: J-Moe] #11973967 12/08/16 10:51 PM
M
Meadowlark Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
M
At what point to put fish on the reel? Simple, when the fish dictates...and not a second before. The fight of the fish should determine the answer to the question.

It really doesn't have as much to do with fish size/weight as it does with the ability of the fish to have its own way with whatever set-up you are using. Fish that are accustomed to using flight to avoid predation are prime candidates for getting them on the reel.

For example, a 1 pound bonefish can quickly overpower just about any unsuspecting angler who thinks they can manage the initial run by hand. It isn't the size but the fight in the fish. The inexperienced angler will quickly learn that to be successful at most salt water fly fishing, it is absolutely imperative to effectively learn to use the reel.

In freshwater situations, in my experience, it isn't anywhere near as likely to need the reel...exceptions being those fish that once lived in salt water e.g. many of the salmon types, steelhead, and even tidal run cut throats and dollies and char etc. that return or otherwise find themselves in freshwater. Stripers often fit into this category. Again, it isn't the weight of the fish so much as the fight of the fish.

There is a reason for the revolution in large arbor reels...and it isn't for holding line in your hand. They are not just for show. Large arbor reels are one of the greatest innovations, IMO, in fly fishing equipment ever.

Re: On the Reel? [Re: Meadowlark] #11974116 12/09/16 12:33 AM
J
J-Moe Online Content OP
TFF Team Angler
OP Online Content
TFF Team Angler
J
Originally Posted By: Meadowlark
At what point to put fish on the reel? Simple, when the fish dictates...and not a second before. The fight of the fish should determine the answer to the question.

It really doesn't have as much to do with fish size/weight as it does with the ability of the fish to have its own way with whatever set-up you are using. Fish that are accustomed to using flight to avoid predation are prime candidates for getting them on the reel.

For example, a 1 pound bonefish can quickly overpower just about any unsuspecting angler who thinks they can manage the initial run by hand. It isn't the size but the fight in the fish. The inexperienced angler will quickly learn that to be successful at most salt water fly fishing, it is absolutely imperative to effectively learn to use the reel.

In freshwater situations, in my experience, it isn't anywhere near as likely to need the reel...exceptions being those fish that once lived in salt water e.g. many of the salmon types, steelhead, and even tidal run cut throats and dollies and char etc. that return or otherwise find themselves in freshwater. Stripers often fit into this category. Again, it isn't the weight of the fish so much as the fight of the fish.

There is a reason for the revolution in large arbor reels...and it isn't for holding line in your hand. They are not just for show. Large arbor reels are one of the greatest innovations, IMO, in fly fishing equipment ever.

thumb That sums it up. Thanks

Re: On the Reel? [Re: J-Moe] #11974359 12/09/16 03:02 AM
J
j_hirn2 Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
J
I put this fish on my reel

The tug is the drug
Re: On the Reel? [Re: J-Moe] #11974602 12/09/16 12:17 PM
H
Hunter498 Offline
Angler
Angler
H
I would say when the fish dictates it. When I have the rare occasion to hook a big fish, I kinda feel like I am just reacting to what he does, kind of counter punching his punches.

Re: On the Reel? [Re: j_hirn2] #11974979 12/09/16 03:48 PM
J
J-Moe Online Content OP
TFF Team Angler
OP Online Content
TFF Team Angler
J
Originally Posted By: j_hirn2
I put this fish on my reel

roflmao I used to do that when I started fly fishing and the darn things would run at me so fast I couldn't reel them in fast enough. They would get off. Ben eventually trained me to bring them in with the fly line. Thanks for the post j_hrn2.

Re: On the Reel? [Re: J-Moe] #11975177 12/09/16 05:22 PM
B
BACKSEATWILLIE Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
B
Unless the fish comes skidding across the top of the water on the hookset, i say put them on the reel. The brain to hand connection is not going to work fast enough when that fish of a lifetime you have on 6x tippet sees you and bolts. Just a good habit.

Re: On the Reel? [Re: J-Moe] #11975278 12/09/16 06:21 PM
J
J-Moe Online Content OP
TFF Team Angler
OP Online Content
TFF Team Angler
J
Always love the input from the forum. I am mainly a pan fisherman. It is when I am white bass fishing that I usually catch hybrids and buffalo. I'll start transitioning those over to the reel. Glad I started the thread, at least I know I'm not considered a sissy for putting big fish on the reel roflmao

Re: On the Reel? [Re: J-Moe] #11975623 12/09/16 09:35 PM
C
Capt. Mac Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
C
I try to put any fish I can in the reel just for the fact that, if I don't, I end up with fly line wrapped around everything in my boat, including the trolling motor, push pole, casting stool, rod rack and my feet. It just saves me a lot of headaches to keep the line on the reel.

[Linked Image]
Re: On the Reel? [Re: Capt. Mac] #11975797 12/09/16 11:42 PM
J
J-Moe Online Content OP
TFF Team Angler
OP Online Content
TFF Team Angler
J
Originally Posted By: Capt. Mac
I try to put any fish I can in the reel just for the fact that, if I don't, I end up with fly line wrapped around everything in my boat, including the trolling motor, push pole, casting stool, rod rack and my feet. It just saves me a lot of headaches to keep the line on the reel.

Excellent point, I've spent 30 minutes untangling my line from the dam rocks too grin

Page 1 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide