Print Thread
Fishing Hibernation #11971498 12/07/16 06:58 PM
L
Lloyd5 Offline OP
Pro Angler
OP Offline
Pro Angler
L
I don't know about you but sometimes I find myself craving inactivity. I suppose I'm not supposed to say that, you know being an active over-achiever and all that other stuff, but sometimes...

It doesn't happen all that often, but it is always in the winter when it does. Perhaps I should start logging it to see precisely when and how often it happens - but I'm pretty sure it mostly happens after water turns cold in my river. After about 11 months of intense fishing. You see I spend 99% of my fishing time wade fishing in the Brazos - which happens to have been placed in my yard, for convenience. I don't normally call it the Brazos, generally I refer to it as "My River" when it comes up in conversation. Anyone that knows me knows which river is mine.

Back to the subject of hibernation. This time of year, this kind of weather we are having, makes me want to say inside with a warm fire, a good book (could be any number of subjects, I am a w-i-d-e reader...currently reading about flint knapping and charcuterie), and either a glass of red wine or a tumbler of brown whisky. Note I spell whisky without an "e". That's because the good people that invented it spelled it without an "e" and I think their tradition should be followed.

I do get outside now and then, dressed warmly, going for long walks down the local dirt roads armed with a beaver chewed stick that I carry as a symbol to let the kind folks of my area know that I'm out walking on purpose; and they need not stop to offer assistance. Go walking without that obvious walking stick and every one of them, bless their hearts, stops to check on me and I can not walk far for all the conversations.

I tried fishing with waders in that cold river water - and cold is relative (to my friends in actually cold weather states I know frozen water is colder, a bit) but it is cold to me. And perhaps more pertinently, it is cold to these warm water fish. The bite now is way down and slow and the fish don't fight all that well when they are in water like this. I can fish comfortably enough in waders and long johns and a few layers on top, but...that doesn't make the fish bite any better, and there is this hibernation thing. It is not depression, it is not seasonal affective disorder, it is not laziness (I lift weights and go for long walks so it can't be laziness, can it?) it is a pause.

I have high enthusiasms, I get on tears (rhymes with wears) about things like...well like flint knapping and charcuterie...and if I'm not careful those enthusiasms can burn very brightly at both ends, then suddenly stop. I get passionate about some new thing or other on a routine basis. I am a perennial student, love to learn new things more than just about anything else. And I am deeply enthusiastic and passionate about fishing, have been all my life.

But I do sometimes just not want to go fishing. This never seems to happen when the fishing is good, when the water is warm(ish) and the fish are actively feeding. It seems to happen like right now, when the weather is in the 50's, overcast, light mist or foggy, windy, the water is cold, the fish are slow to bite, and it is just a damp, cold, iron gray kind of day. Or week. Or so far about three weeks.

I think partly it is the weather and partly it is a re-generation of that enthusiasm to fish. I'm going to be laying off the fishing for at least a couple more weeks, I'm pretty sure of that, but I can feel that gnawing feeling deep down in me that is saying - go fishing. It's kind of like getting hungry, it starts very slowly and faintly and builds and builds until it all you can think about is a bacon sandwich on toast.

Am I alone in this or is there anyone else out there that goes through this hibernating pause? Or am I just crazy like my friends and family seem to think...

Texas State Editor: FishExplorer http://www.fishexplorer.com/tx

http://www.amazon.com/River-Proceeds-Wou...ds=on+the+river

Warm Water Fly Fishing Nut
Re: Fishing Hibernation [Re: Lloyd5] #11971541 12/07/16 07:28 PM
K
karstopo Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
K
My burning desire to fish can and will cool with cold weather. The loading up and all suddenly seems like an insurmountable hill to climb. I too like to dive into books, a bio on Edward Curtis is my current read, and any book gets more interesting on a chilly, blustery day.

It's good for me to get out and counter the negative inertia of winter. I'm a better husband, father, and worker bee when I regularly make some time slinging the whip.

Re: Fishing Hibernation [Re: Lloyd5] #11973172 12/08/16 04:07 PM
C
Capt. Mac Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
C
I used to go out in bad weather ( snow, ice, really high winds) for the challenge of trying to catch something while battling the elements. Not much anymore. I use winter as an off season to tie flies, build leaders, clean tackle organize photos and do any boat repairs needed. It's a time to reflect in the past season and to dream and prepair for the upcoming one. I do go trout fishing in Oklahoma when I get the shack nasties but mostly I putter around in my shop, building stuff and rubbing on my fishing tackle, waiting for things to warm up. In my book, if I have to wear shoes in my boat it's too cold outside.

[Linked Image]
Re: Fishing Hibernation [Re: Lloyd5] #11973594 12/08/16 07:29 PM
L
Lloyd5 Offline OP
Pro Angler
OP Offline
Pro Angler
L
" In my book, if I have to wear shoes in my boat it's too cold outside."

I like that. I like that a lot.

cheers

Re: Fishing Hibernation [Re: Lloyd5] #11973819 12/08/16 09:29 PM
L
Linecaster Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
L
When the cold comes I shut down. Just cannot get excited about going fishing. As the weather begins to warm prior to Spring I start feeling agitated and feel the urge to fish. Even a warm day in winter is enough to start me out of hibernation.

In the beginning God created. Gen. 1:1
All things were made by him and without him was not anything made. John 1:3
Re: Fishing Hibernation [Re: Lloyd5] #11985034 12/15/16 04:07 AM
L
lostinthewoods Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
L
You guys don't hunt in the off season?

Re: Fishing Hibernation [Re: Lloyd5] #11985215 12/15/16 12:35 PM
T
Turf Dawg Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
T
From November-March is when I like it unless we are talking about mountain streams then summer is wonderful.

Turf Dawg Landscaping
Texas Licensed Irrigator
LI 0020041
Commercial Pesticide Applicator for Turf and Ornamental, Pasture & Rangelands and Right-of-Way
Texas Dept of Agriculture license #0525163
Re: Fishing Hibernation [Re: Lloyd5] #11986342 12/15/16 11:14 PM
L
Linecaster Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
L
Hunting is great if you have connections, love hunting hogs but have not done that for a few years. Never hunted deer.

Last edited by Linecaster; 12/15/16 11:16 PM.

All things were made by him and without him was not anything made. John 1:3
Re: Fishing Hibernation [Re: lostinthewoods] #11986350 12/15/16 11:21 PM
L
Lloyd5 Offline OP
Pro Angler
OP Offline
Pro Angler
L
Originally Posted By: lostinthewoods

I used to be an avid hunter, but one day, many many years ago, I reached my lifetime limit.

Re: Fishing Hibernation [Re: lostinthewoods] #11987015 12/16/16 06:08 AM
R
Robert Hunter Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
R
yep I'm in my tree no doubt. Took two doe with one shot yesterday. Capt. Mac have to text you that story. But caught a bunch of fish when I got out of the stand was an amazing day outdoors to say the least!!!!fish were surprisingly active in the cold. To Lloyd I completely understand the winter layoff!!!! Only a few cold days in Texas are really special! But when you hit the head on the nail it's really really good:)

[Linked Image] [Linked Image] [url=https://postimages.org/][img]https://i.postimg.cc/bsQJFvLj/
Re: Fishing Hibernation [Re: Robert Hunter] #11989012 12/17/16 12:13 PM
L
Lloyd5 Offline OP
Pro Angler
OP Offline
Pro Angler
L
Originally Posted By: robert hunter
yep I'm in my tree no doubt. Took two doe with one shot yesterday. Capt. Mac have to text you that story. But caught a bunch of fish when I got out of the stand was an amazing day outdoors to say the least!!!!fish were surprisingly active in the cold. To Lloyd I completely understand the winter layoff!!!! Only a few cold days in Texas are really special! But when you hit the head on the nail it's really really good:)

Hell of a day! smile

Re: Fishing Hibernation [Re: Lloyd5] #11989124 12/17/16 01:53 PM
L
Linecaster Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
L
Robert the hunter, both fish and beast.