Most Online39,925
Dec 30th, 2023
Print Thread
The Almighty Jig #11958847 11/30/16 07:25 PM
EZ_Legend Offline OP
Pro Angler
OP Offline
Pro Angler
There are many alterations to the jig these days. Over the years I imagine we all have developed or adopted a technique that we feel works best. With "Jig Season" upon us does anyone feel like sharing their favorite methods of using jigs?

My favorite is a flipping jig near and kind of cover near flats that fall into creek channels. I typically used a modified T-rig movement with a little additional action between jumps.

Seems to work for me, just curious what everyone is doing.

Last edited by jackson_ranger; 11/30/16 07:25 PM.

2003 Legend LE21
Optimax 225
Moritz Chevrolet - 9101 Camp Bowie W Blvd, Fort Worth, TX - Monte Coon (817) 696-2003
Re: The Almighty Jig [Re: EZ_Legend] #11958848 11/30/16 07:25 PM
Jake Shannon(Skeet4Life) Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
Slow drag and dead stick it

Re: The Almighty Jig [Re: EZ_Legend] #11958859 11/30/16 07:30 PM
C
CCTX Online Content
mapquest
Online Content
mapquest
C
Slowly creeping it just barely over a tree limb and letting it fall on semi slack line.
Blammmo!

[Linked Image]
Re: The Almighty Jig [Re: EZ_Legend] #11959163 11/30/16 11:53 PM
E
ezbassin Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
E
Pitching timber and docks.

Dragging a swing jig.

Last edited by ezbassin; 12/01/16 12:08 AM.
Re: The Almighty Jig [Re: EZ_Legend] #11959178 12/01/16 12:07 AM
SAKS Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
Pulling a swing jig in deep water. Always had better luck flipping plastics alone than jigs so I don't really flip them much if at all.

Re: The Almighty Jig [Re: EZ_Legend] #11959186 12/01/16 12:17 AM
S
SteezMacQueen Online Happy
TFF Guru
Online Happy
TFF Guru
S
Same ways I always use jigs. Swim it, flip it, hop it, drag it, hang it and lose it. Haha.

Eat. Sleep. Fish.
Re: The Almighty Jig [Re: EZ_Legend] #11959252 12/01/16 12:55 AM
S
SK1 Offline
Angler
Angler
S
Sometimes drag it slow like a c-rig through deep structure or shallow,hop it,stroke it when fishing hydrilla or punch the mats and sometimes just pitch and flip visable cover.

Re: The Almighty Jig [Re: EZ_Legend] #11959304 12/01/16 01:27 AM
Donald Harper Online Happy
TFF Guru
Online Happy
TFF Guru
Here are the things I put on my jig that makes it fulfill the dinner bell list for cold water Bass. I want the bass to eat it because it is real to them. There is no question that it is alive and a critter that they will not pass up. The jig must have every sense that a big bass is looking for. I catch more fish on this jig in heavy cover situations than all my other go to baits when the fish are up there and biting in 8 ft. of water or less. The jig can carry more of the senses than most of the other baits; sight, sound, smell, vibration, and skirt movement.

- 3/4 oz. custom jig that I build from scratch. I start with a 1.5 oz jig with two keepers on the hook, grid both sides of the head off flat, drill 1/2 inch eye sockets set deep to the hook. This removes enough lead to bring it down to 3/4 oz. or less and allows me to add the dome eye.

- The head is painted Black Perl Shad with Diamond Dust Glitter in the color desired. This goes very well with all my living rugger skirt material in all the natural forage colors.

- I install 1/2 inch Dome Eyes in many colors for all water clarity and to match the forage in your lake. Each eye carries a BB under the dome for sound which fulfills two of the senses that a big bass is looking for. The dome eyes have a great rattle sound and puts the jig into a football category.

- My skirts are made from living rubber with Crayfish Powder poured into the rubber rolls. I make skirts in 5 colors to match the Crayfish and Bluegill in the lakes with consideration for the seasonal patterns of these two forages. Each skirt goes into a Crayfish Oil Extract for 24 hours before being banded then hand tied on each jig. The scent mask the human odor very will and the living rubber holds the scent forever. I still spray on scent many times daily when fishing because I want it leaving a trail in the water.

- I use 3 trailers made by Bobby at Whopper Baits that are Crayfish or Craylic Scented; Boxing Craw, Speed Craw Jr. and Twin Tails. My biggest chore of the day is switch it up to find what they are wanting for that day. If they are not taking the bait then it is the trailer; so make the switch to one of the others.

Feeling the bite - I never keep any line tight or worry about braid or a high dollar rod to do this. I make the pitch, strip enough line for the jig to fall straight down while trying to get it over one of the outside under water limbs on a bush. If in 3 ft. of water I immediately take up the slack as well as watch the line for a jump of taking off sideways. Spawning bass will get the bait before it hits the bottom. They are not going to drop this jig. Taking up the slack I feel for resistance. If I feel any I set the hook, 90% of the time it is a bass. Limbs are free!!

The Baby Doll:

Each person you work with holds some promise to your future success.
Websiite Sponsors:
www.eletewater.com - Staying Hydrated
www.lakeoviachic.com - Booking Mexico Trips
20 Hot Spot Mapping - GPS Contour Chips - Custom Spinner Baits - Jigs -Spooks
Pure Extracts - Minnow-Night Crawler-Crayfish-Craylic

Re: The Almighty Jig [Re: SteezMacQueen] #11959545 12/01/16 03:50 AM
EZ_Legend Offline OP
Pro Angler
OP Offline
Pro Angler
LMAO!!

Originally Posted By: SteezMacQueen
Same ways I always use jigs. Swim it, flip it, hop it, drag it, hang it and lose it. Haha.

2003 Legend LE21
Optimax 225
Re: The Almighty Jig [Re: Donald Harper] #11959554 12/01/16 03:54 AM
EZ_Legend Offline OP
Pro Angler
OP Offline
Pro Angler
NICE!!! I might eat one of those if I had it!

Originally Posted By: Donald Harper
Here are the things I put on my jig that makes it fulfill the dinner bell list for cold water Bass. I want the bass to eat it because it is real to them. There is no question that it is alive and a critter that they will not pass up. The jig must have every sense that a big bass is looking for. I catch more fish on this jig in heavy cover situations than all my other go to baits when the fish are up there and biting in 8 ft. of water or less. The jig can carry more of the senses than most of the other baits; sight, sound, smell, vibration, and skirt movement.

- 3/4 oz. custom jig that I build from scratch. I start with a 1.5 oz jig with two keepers on the hook, grid both sides of the head off flat, drill 1/2 inch eye sockets set deep to the hook. This removes enough lead to bring it down to 3/4 oz. or less and allows me to add the dome eye.

- The head is painted Black Perl Shad with Diamond Dust Glitter in the color desired. This goes very well with all my living rugger skirt material in all the natural forage colors.

- I install 1/2 inch Dome Eyes in many colors for all water clarity and to match the forage in your lake. Each eye carries a BB under the dome for sound which fulfills two of the senses that a big bass is looking for. The dome eyes have a great rattle sound and puts the jig into a football category.

- My skirts are made from living rubber with Crayfish Powder poured into the rubber rolls. I make skirts in 5 colors to match the Crayfish and Bluegill in the lakes with consideration for the seasonal patterns of these two forages. Each skirt goes into a Crayfish Oil Extract for 24 hours before being banded then hand tied on each jig. The scent mask the human odor very will and the living rubber holds the scent forever. I still spray on scent many times daily when fishing because I want it leaving a trail in the water.

- I use 3 trailers made by Bobby at Whopper Baits that are Crayfish or Craylic Scented; Boxing Craw, Speed Craw Jr. and Twin Tails. My biggest chore of the day is switch it up to find what they are wanting for that day. If they are not taking the bait then it is the trailer; so make the switch to one of the others.

Feeling the bite - I never keep any line tight or worry about braid or a high dollar rod to do this. I make the pitch, strip enough line for the jig to fall straight down while trying to get it over one of the outside under water limbs on a bush. If in 3 ft. of water I immediately take up the slack as well as watch the line for a jump of taking off sideways. Spawning bass will get the bait before it hits the bottom. They are not going to drop this jig. Taking up the slack I feel for resistance. If I feel any I set the hook, 90% of the time it is a bass. Limbs are free!!

The Baby Doll:

2003 Legend LE21
Optimax 225
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide