texasfishingforum.com logo
Main Menu
Advertisement
Affiliates
Advertisement
Newest Members
Cameron Gose, Jetskirentals512, Flashin Assassin Lures, SoonerTex0623, Bobby J.
119181 Registered Users
Top Posters(All Time)
hopalong 121,013
TexDawg 119,783
Bigbob_FTW 95,321
John175☮ 85,918
Pilothawk 83,274
Bob Davis 82,326
Mark Perry 72,486
Derek 🐝 68,321
JDavis7873 67,416
Forum Statistics
Forums59
Topics1,038,884
Posts13,954,795
Members144,181
Most Online39,925
Dec 30th, 2023
Print Thread
Page 2 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Re: My Thoughts On Bowfishing And The Conservation Of Alligator Gar [Re: SharkBaitTV] #11956653 11/29/16 04:32 PM
P
PredApex Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
P
"I have talked to several game wardens around the trinity river who have told me they are afraid for their safely to get on the river and check peoples boats"? ....This is ridiculous...that would be like a state trooper saying he is afraid to patrol the hwy, alone, at night.....doesn't make sense to me.

They already have regulated the harvesting of this fish. Its the GWs job to protect the fish and enforce the regulations. Why even bother with regulating it if the Gws are not going to go board boats and watch bow fisherman? All they have to do is post up in the dark and watch the boats with 10000W candle power shooting and throwing fish back. Whats so dangerous about that?

Killing big gar is probably growing in popularity since it costs so much to hunt anything else now a days. They will be raised in high fenced ponds soon....

Re: My Thoughts On Bowfishing And The Conservation Of Alligator Gar [Re: SharkBaitTV] #11957624 11/30/16 02:08 AM
C
C.M. Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
C
Originally Posted By: SharkBaitTV
no the 1 per day regulation per angler is broken and does not protect these fish at all.
Wrong, check studies.

Quote:
i have talked to several game wardens around the trinity river who have told me they are afraid for their safely to get on the river and check peoples boats(mainly bowfishermans)
So, wardens are afraid of bow fishermen... really?

Quote:
when you kill one of these 7 foot fish that fish will never be replaced in your lifetime.
Wrong, it will be replaced relatively soon (in gar years) by a fish that is 6.5 feet now.

Quote:
i can guarantee that the 7 foot gar are getting more rare, even the guides who know what they are doing were fishing on top of each other this year when one of them found large gar.
This I could get behind -- big fish are getting rare.

Have you ever considered that your recent activity might be contributing to demise of big gars? You post those videos that show how awesome it is to fight biggest fish out there. It also shows how simple your gear needs to be and how easy it is to catch them. People pay attention and take notice. They meay not have all know-how but there is strength in numbers. You may think adding "save the gar" message to those videos somehow offsets negative effect, but I doubt it. Same people sooner or later figure out that gar is quite edible if you know what you are doing.

Also, I am pretty sure not every fish that your clients hook survives the release (some probably die few days later).

Quote:
as long as people are doing this^^^^
These people used their right to harvest fish from public water. As long as they stay within their limit -- there is no problem here. You might argue that limits are hurting gar population, but you need better arguments than that picture.

If you really want to change something -- lookup redfish wars. Government can change limits, but you'll have to do proper studies, a lot of paper- and legwork. I suggest giving TPWD a call and ask them what is required to introduce slot limit on gars...

Quote:
I'm going to fight for the protection of alligator gar in the state of Texas.
To fight is to take arms and put your life on the line. So far you've been only posting in various forums, likely hurting gars even more.

Quote:
that is 200 years of alligator gar growth killed for pics and bragging rights and was thrown in a field to rot after the pics.
No, it is about 50 years of 4 fish lives. If I follow your logic -- I'll claim that yesterday in just one day we lost millions of years of "shrimp growth" just in Galveston bay.

Last edited by RedSkeeter; 12/06/16 04:02 PM. Reason: Language
Re: My Thoughts On Bowfishing And The Conservation Of Alligator Gar [Re: SharkBaitTV] #11957716 11/30/16 02:47 AM
F
Froghunter Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
F

Last edited by Froghunter; 12/11/16 08:58 PM.
Re: My Thoughts On Bowfishing And The Conservation Of Alligator Gar [Re: SharkBaitTV] #11957743 11/30/16 03:03 AM
T
thughes55 Offline
Angler
Angler
T
FIRST off shooting fish is what it is, its NOT fishing, even if you include a reel as a line retrieval device. TPWD sets conservation limits on species of fish, as long as the law is enforced, we should be good with harvest. Personally I would be fine with excluding gar from bow shooting, a magnificent fish, and its almost criminal(to me) to harvest 150-200# fish that have been around far longer than I have - if you don't want increased pressure on this fish and places you fish, don't post on open forum fishing sites - lesson I learned long ago.

Screamin Drags All!!!
Re: My Thoughts On Bowfishing And The Conservation Of Alligator Gar [Re: grout-scout] #11958091 11/30/16 12:55 PM
J
jippedgenes Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
J
Originally Posted By: grout-scout
Originally Posted By: jippedgenes
killing an animal that is NOT an invasive species just for fun, compensating for a small ....

I have no prob shooting carp. Exterminate wild pigs all you want. But killing animals purely for sport........... is a douchebag pursuit IMO

feel free to eat it and I am fine with it.

The irony in your post is strong. "You can kill things if I don't like them, but if I like them, then don't kill them". hmmm

negative ghost rider. note the first sentence........key word INVASIVE. not one bit of irony there good sir. Protect native species, kill invasive detrimental species. I will not shoot a coyote either unless it gets into the chicken coop. I have never had a gar attack any of our domesticated animals

Re: My Thoughts On Bowfishing And The Conservation Of Alligator Gar [Re: SharkBaitTV] #11964809 12/04/16 02:20 AM
E
eyeball Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
E
Originally Posted By: SharkBaitTV
no the 1 per day regulation per angler is broken and does not protect these fish at all. can copy paste from another forum where people are arguing for their right to release 7 foot gar with arrow holes in them. people just fish over the limit or put 6 people in the boat or just release gar with arrow holes in them. i have talked to several game wardens around the trinity river who have told me they are afraid for their safely to get on the river and check peoples boats(mainly bowfishermans), instead they do it at the ramps and people have time to discard illegal harvested fish by then.
when you kill one of these 7 foot fish that fish will never be replaced in your lifetime. i can guarantee that the 7 foot gar are getting more rare, even the guides who know what they are doing were fishing on top of each other this year when one of them found large gar.

[img]https://scontent-mia1-2.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t...amp;oe=58B79AB3[/img]
as long as people are doing this^^^^ I'm going to fight for the protection of alligator gar in the state of Texas. that is 200 years of alligator gar growth killed for pics and bragging rights and was thrown in a field to rot after the pics.

And the 5 8 lb bass it ate last week will never be replaced either.

Give a man a fish, feed him for a day.

Teach a man to fish, he will sit in a boat all day and drink beer.
Re: My Thoughts On Bowfishing And The Conservation Of Alligator Gar [Re: eyeball] #11966709 12/05/16 12:26 PM
J
jippedgenes Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
J
Originally Posted By: eyeball
And the 5 8 lb bass it ate last week will never be replaced either.

i am not a gar lover but I am sure they cannot eat an 8 pound bass, maybe a few dink bass now and again but I looked it up in TPW and found that bass make up a very small % of their diet. in my quick google of the subject they seem to consume carp as their fav food source which is fine with me. anyway..........

Re: My Thoughts On Bowfishing And The Conservation Of Alligator Gar [Re: SharkBaitTV] #11968443 12/06/16 03:47 AM
J
jippedgenes Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
J
Oh my, TRIGGERED!

I never claimed to be an authority I just posted my opinion and what I found. You say I am like a "self important twit" while you act like the spoiled rotten millennial getting upset of a post in a discussion forum that you disagreed with..........a discussion forum my friend. This is exactly the place for discourse on this subject as that is what this thread is for. This is a place for people to share opinions............please by the love of God tell me you are simply trolling and I will feel better.

Ok you get a trophy for best post in this thread. bang

Re: My Thoughts On Bowfishing And The Conservation Of Alligator Gar [Re: jippedgenes] #11968759 12/06/16 01:27 PM
W
wyatt c Offline
Angler
Angler
W
killing an animal that is NOT an invasive species just for fun, compensating for a small ....

I have no prob shooting carp. Exterminate wild pigs all you want. But killing animals purely for sport........... is a douchebag pursuit IMO

The irony in your post is strong. "You can kill things if I don't like them, but if I like them, then don't kill them". hmmm

negative ghost rider. note the first sentence........key word INVASIVE. not one bit of irony there good sir. Protect native species, kill invasive detrimental species. I will not shoot a coyote either unless it gets into the chicken coop. I have never had a gar attack any of our domesticated animals

so you believe in not killing a native animal and wont shoot a coyote? you must not deer hunt whatsoever then, or have had any experience with it in your life.

USAF
Re: My Thoughts On Bowfishing And The Conservation Of Alligator Gar [Re: SharkBaitTV] #11969094 12/06/16 04:22 PM
B
Bass_Bustin_Texan Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
B
Gar taste good. Louisiana folks been eating them much longer than any of us been alive.

You can avoid having ulcers by adapting to the situation: If you fall in the mud puddle, check your pockets for fish. ~Unknown

Open your eyes & look within, are you satisfied with the life youre living.

No matter how good or bad you have it, wake up each day thankful for your life. Someone somewhere else is desperately fighting for theirs.
Re: My Thoughts On Bowfishing And The Conservation Of Alligator Gar [Re: SharkBaitTV] #11969229 12/06/16 05:19 PM
S
SharkBaitTV Offline OP
Pro Angler
OP Offline
Pro Angler
S
would like to see some pics of gar over 7 foot from another state than Tx if they are so common..

would like to see pics of the cooler with ice the people killing 7 foot gar are putting them in during hot summer days so they can keep them viable as a food fish

going to say this again, when you kill a gar over 7 foot that fish will never be replaced in your lifetime, not only are you killing that fish you are killing the millions of gar it could make if it continues its bloodline.

"Have you ever considered that your recent activity might be contributing to demise of big gars? You post those videos that show how awesome it is to fight biggest fish out there. It also shows how simple your gear needs to be and how easy it is to catch them. People pay attention and take notice. They meay not have all know-how but there is strength in numbers. You may think adding "save the gar" message to those videos somehow offsets negative effect, but I doubt it. Same people sooner or later figure out that gar is quite edible if you know what you are doing.

Also, I am pretty sure not every fish that your clients hook survives the release (some probably die few days later)."

i am using the exact same hooks and methods used by TPWD to tag and release these fish, as well as making changes like leaving them in the water that goes even further to make catch and release possible 100% of the time.
TPWD and kirk have tagged and release 6000 of these fish on non stainless 3/0 treble hooks and thousands of those have been recaught. i have placed a fair amount of tags my self and re caught tagged fish including 7 foot fish caught months apart. i know i have never killed an alligator gar and will continue to bring to light the way these fish are being hunted into extinction, my goal is the protection of alligator gar, the big gar is thats all i can save. if that means i can no longer go catch these fish legally, because no one can my work is done. and that work involves TPWD as you can see
[img]https://scontent-ord1-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t...amp;oe=58FB6BA9[/img]

"Conservation is the preservation of life on earth, and that, above all else, is worth fighting for."
Re: My Thoughts On Bowfishing And The Conservation Of Alligator Gar [Re: SharkBaitTV] #11969299 12/06/16 05:52 PM
S
SharkBaitTV Offline OP
Pro Angler
OP Offline
Pro Angler
S
"I'm going to fight for the protection of alligator gar in the state of Texas.
To fight is to take arms and put your life on the line."

yah yah i hear it plenty big bow fisherman gonna kill me blah blah,
men dont talk bud.

" never claimed to be an authority I just posted my opinion and what I found. You say I am like a "self important twit" while you act like the spoiled rotten millennial getting upset of a post in a discussion forum that you disagreed with..........a discussion forum my friend. This is exactly the place for discourse on this subject as that is what this thread is for. This is a place for people to share opinions............please by the love of God tell me you are simply trolling and I will feel better."

where did i ever say you couldn't have your say or where did i get upset by anything anyone has say for that matter?
its legal for you to kill 7 foot gar currently its legal for me to say i think thats wrong and i think it should be changed?
so whats the problem? is it that you dont like what I'm saying? so you seek to censor it?

i think what upsets you is you know no sporting person would agree to purposely elongating a harvested animals suffering for personal satisfaction like bow fishing big gar does.
i think you know what you are doing is wrong and you dont want anyone to bring light to just how bad it really is.
thats why you fear what I'm saying its because you know I'm right, they are getting more rare and they do need protection, and you know others will will hear what I'm saying as the truth as well.

you know changes are coming when it comes to bow fishing and they will come regardless of anything i do.

"Conservation is the preservation of life on earth, and that, above all else, is worth fighting for."
Re: My Thoughts On Bowfishing And The Conservation Of Alligator Gar [Re: wyatt c] #11969391 12/06/16 06:40 PM
J
jippedgenes Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
J
Originally Posted By: wyatt c

so you believe in not killing a native animal and wont shoot a coyote? you must not deer hunt whatsoever then, or have had any experience with it in your life.

context my friend. I said "I would not shoot a coyote UNLESS IT GETS INTO THE CHICKEN COOP" My statement is simple, I will kill an animal to protect my chickens (or a person, my dog, a neighbors livestock ect) but will not just shoot a coyote just because I see one. I admit I do not deer hunt and certainly have no problem with it. It is hunting for meat and I like venison. My problem is going out, killing an animal purely for a sport, a picture and bragging rights.

Perhaps if gar were overpopulated in our lakes I might feel differently.

Re: My Thoughts On Bowfishing And The Conservation Of Alligator Gar [Re: SharkBaitTV] #11971325 12/07/16 05:34 PM
D
dmunsie Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
D
If anyone is interested in a similar subject and has some time, reading through this thread on Alligator Gar on this forum, that I created 12+ years ago is a good read. wink

http://texasfishingforum.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/26203/1

Re: My Thoughts On Bowfishing And The Conservation Of Alligator Gar [Re: dmunsie] #11972177 12/08/16 01:28 AM
J
jippedgenes Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
J
Originally Posted By: dmunsie
If anyone is interested in a similar subject and has some time, reading through this thread on Alligator Gar on this forum, that I created 12+ years ago is a good read. wink

http://texasfishingforum.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/26203/1

thank you for sharing, very interesting opinions.

Page 2 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide