Forums59
Topics1,039,279
Posts13,962,194
Members144,197
Most Online39,925
Dec 30th, 2023
Print Thread
Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Re: LED Nav Lights NOT LEGAL ... Must Read [Re: HunterFJ] #11955833 11/29/16 02:04 AM
P
PaPa@fork Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
P
Originally Posted By: HunterFJ
My buddy and I received a warning for his led's over Memorial Day weekend, on an Oklahoma lake.

I have seen just two of you on here say " i received a warning " so maybe the GW can't write a ticket ??
You did have lights on. I have them on the front, I think they are a lot better and one would think if it's better, than why not??? hmmm

If it was easy, everyone would do it
Moritz Chevrolet - 9101 Camp Bowie W Blvd, Fort Worth, TX - Monte Coon (817) 696-2003
Re: LED Nav Lights NOT LEGAL ... Must Read [Re: Lake Fork Guide Marc Mitchell] #11955849 11/29/16 02:15 AM
H
HunterFJ Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
H
Oops!! Friends boat doesn't have led navigation lights, he has led lights running the whole length of the boat on both sides, all the same color.

Re: LED Nav Lights NOT LEGAL ... Must Read [Re: HunterFJ] #11955862 11/29/16 02:19 AM
P
PaPa@fork Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
P
Oops!! Friends boat doesn't have led navigation lights, he has led lights running the whole length of the boat on both sides, all the same color.

Now that's a problem, I can see a ticket instead of a warning on that one.

If it was easy, everyone would do it
Re: LED Nav Lights NOT LEGAL ... Must Read [Re: lamoon78] #11955870 11/29/16 02:22 AM
S
SteezMacQueen Online Happy
TFF Guru
Online Happy
TFF Guru
S
Originally Posted By: lamoon78
Originally Posted By: SteezMacQueen
Originally Posted By: skins84
I mounted a Attwood LED 2-Mile Deck Mount Navigation Bow Light (coast guard approved) upside down to the bottom of my trolling motor mount. Took it apart and reversed the led's so when i flipped it upside down the red and green were on the proper side.
huh? Why? What do you do when the TM is up? Or down? Or whatever other position makes the nav lights incorrect?
You do know Steez that even when on the TM you have to have on all your Nav lights.

Um....yes. I know the laws. I was not asking if he had to have them lit up when on the trolling motor. I was asking, since the lights ARE MOUNTED TO THE TM, IN WHAT TROLLING MOTOR POSITION ARE THEY CORRECTLY ORIENTED? and WHAT POSITION THEY ARE NOT CORRECTLY ORIENTED. They cannot be correct in both deployed and stowed positions.

How you deduced your thought that I may not know the laws as to when they are required, from these posts is beyond me.
Read the posts and then post back to me and see if you understand what I am saying.

Eat. Sleep. Fish.
Re: LED Nav Lights NOT LEGAL ... Must Read [Re: Lake Fork Guide Marc Mitchell] #11956081 11/29/16 04:08 AM
Curtbass Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
He said he mounted it to the trolling motor mount. On the underneath side of the mount that doesn't move. I understand what he's talking about. That part of the mount doesnt move. Its the mount base in other words. He switched the red/green lens because upside down it would be backward if he didn't.

Last edited by Curtbass; 11/29/16 04:09 AM.

ELITE POWER SYSTEMS/ Elite Fishing Products
Lithium Battery & Charging Systems, Soft Plastics, Tackle,Tokyo Rigs
Tight lines & stay safe out there.Gods blessings
Re: LED Nav Lights NOT LEGAL ... Must Read [Re: PaPa@fork] #11956094 11/29/16 04:25 AM
lamoon78 Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
Originally Posted By: PaPa@fork
My buddy and I received a warning for his led's over Memorial Day weekend, on an Oklahoma lake.

I have seen just two of you on here say " i received a warning " so maybe the GW can't write a ticket ??
You did have lights on. I have them on the front, I think they are a lot better and one would think if it's better, than why not??? hmmm
Yes they can actually they are just learning of this as well so Im sure they are being nice right now about it.

Re: LED Nav Lights NOT LEGAL ... Must Read [Re: SteezMacQueen] #11956097 11/29/16 04:30 AM
lamoon78 Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
Originally Posted By: K.D.
i thought some of the newer boats are coming with LEDs in the front. I found an alert addressing DIY type LED installs

https://www.uscg.mil/hq/cg5/cg545/alerts/1015.pdf
yep. New boats are being sold with non conforming lighting. I have one. And I can't imagine what my smart [censored] would say if I was confronted by a game warden about them. I'm sure I would talk myself into several citations.
Why dont you show us what you got cause I havent seen any that I have looked at that the manufacture hacked a rub rail the dealer might have done it.

Re: LED Nav Lights NOT LEGAL ... Must Read [Re: SteezMacQueen] #11956099 11/29/16 04:32 AM
lamoon78 Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
Originally Posted By: lamoon78
Originally Posted By: skins84
I mounted a Attwood LED 2-Mile Deck Mount Navigation Bow Light (coast guard approved) upside down to the bottom of my trolling motor mount. Took it apart and reversed the led's so when i flipped it upside down the red and green were on the proper side.
huh? Why? What do you do when the TM is up? Or down? Or whatever other position makes the nav lights incorrect?
You do know Steez that even when on the TM you have to have on all your Nav lights.

Um....yes. I know the laws. I was not asking if he had to have them lit up when on the trolling motor. I was asking, since the lights ARE MOUNTED TO THE TM, IN WHAT TROLLING MOTOR POSITION ARE THEY CORRECTLY ORIENTED? and WHAT POSITION THEY ARE NOT CORRECTLY ORIENTED. They cannot be correct in both deployed and stowed positions.

How you deduced your thought that I may not know the laws as to when they are required, from these posts is beyond me.
Read the posts and then post back to me and see if you understand what I am saying.
Well according to your very first post on this topic I would say you dont.

Re: LED Nav Lights NOT LEGAL ... Must Read [Re: Lake Fork Guide Marc Mitchell] #11956103 11/29/16 04:40 AM
lamoon78 Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
It really doesnt matter how cool or bright they are any of you guys running the rubrail strips or they are just stuck on the hull above the rail if they do not say USCG approved they are not legal lights. The boat manufacturer is more than likely not the ones installing these because they know they can get in [censored] over them. If you bought a new boat with them on it I bet you anything the dumb dealer is the one that put them on.

Re: LED Nav Lights NOT LEGAL ... Must Read [Re: Texascajun69] #11956107 11/29/16 04:47 AM
B
Bass-N-Buck Master Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
B
Originally Posted By: Texascajun69

Place your pole light in the socket and turn it on. Slowly walk from the left side around to the right side and watch the light as you walk. You will be at about a 45 deg. angle in front of the boat before you start to see the Green light. The same angle will on the right side will allow you to no longer see the red light. This is what the CG says allows an approaching vessel to know the "Angle of Approach". If I see only red and it doesn't change I know the vessel is on a course to pass to my left. The reverse is true for the Green- approaching vessel will pass on my right. If the light color changes (either way) this means the approaching vessel is on a crossing path and requires a heightened awareness. If I can see both lights continually the on-going vessel is on a direct intercept course. Again a heightened awareness.

Can't argue this Fact
truly Wisdom!

Re: LED Nav Lights NOT LEGAL ... Must Read [Re: Lake Fork Guide Marc Mitchell] #11956657 11/29/16 04:34 PM
C
coachallentca Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
C
He is a Link to Blue Water LED and read the NOTE: Not coast guard approved.

http://www.bluewaterled.com/boat-led-lighting-packages/bow-led-lighting-red-green.html

Re: LED Nav Lights NOT LEGAL ... Must Read [Re: fouzman] #11956665 11/29/16 04:40 PM
fouzman Offline
Methuselah
Methuselah
Originally Posted By: fouzman
Originally Posted By: K.D.
i thought some of the newer boats are coming with LEDs in the front. I found an alert addressing DIY type LED installs

https://www.uscg.mil/hq/cg5/cg545/alerts/1015.pdf
yep. New boats are being sold with non conforming lighting. I have one. And I can't imagine what my smart [censored] would say if I was confronted by a game warden about them. I'm sure I would talk myself into several citations.

What kind of new boat are you referring to, Steez? I have a '14 Skeeter with the red and green LEDs (single lights) encased in a stainless steel housing and inset into the top cap on the nose of my boat. These are USCG approved. How many tickets have you received?

NOW I am really confused.

As for above....I have a boat with a 10" pole light for the front. There is no downside to it. It doesn't interfere with the use of a BIG trolling motor mount, much less the old Edge series. It has a 10 year old bulb that takes a beating and works every time. The socket has a rubber cover over it for keeping out most moisture, the rest doesn't seem to bother it at all for almost 18 years now.

I think what you think are pitfalls...really isn't. It sounds like a good argument, but it isn't. It is a solid, safe design. And the 90% of daylight fishing vs my 10% predawn I don't have it in my way. So really a non issue.

"Things turn out best for those who make the best of the way things turn out" - Zachary Troy Schrah - a young man with vision far beyond his years.
Re: LED Nav Lights NOT LEGAL ... Must Read [Re: Lake Fork Guide Marc Mitchell] #11956668 11/29/16 04:42 PM
fouzman Offline
Methuselah
Methuselah
Steez, do you have a new boat that is not compliant or an older boat with the 10" light pole and 10 year old bulb?

"Things turn out best for those who make the best of the way things turn out" - Zachary Troy Schrah - a young man with vision far beyond his years.
Re: LED Nav Lights NOT LEGAL ... Must Read [Re: fouzman] #11956939 11/29/16 08:03 PM
S
SteezMacQueen Online Happy
TFF Guru
Online Happy
TFF Guru
S
Originally Posted By: fouzman
Steez, do you have a new boat that is not compliant or an older boat with the 10" light pole and 10 year old bulb?
I have two boats. A 98 model and a 2016. The 2016 has coast guard approved led lighting. I was being sarcastic about the " non conforming" part. It is legal. It is leds. Everyone says leds are illegal. That's why I said I'd probably get several citations if it ever came up with a law inforcement person. As for the 98? It's legal too. And neither of them are "more legal" or "less legal". The new boat still uses a big pole in the back. The old one uses poles front and back. The old one is original and has not failed due to the reasons folks are saying the incandescent one should fail. The only real difference, aside from looks, is the newer one is more convienient since it only requires me to install and remove one pole.

Sorry for confusing folks.

bolt

Eat. Sleep. Fish.
Re: LED Nav Lights NOT LEGAL ... Must Read [Re: Lake Fork Guide Marc Mitchell] #11957494 11/30/16 01:14 AM
H
HItec Redneck Offline
Angler
Angler
H

Read'em and weep. No BS, no hearsay, no gw says, just the rules. They even have pictures for the reading impaired. USCG Navigation rules - Start reading /looking on page 48

Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide