Print Thread
Nanofil #11951851 11/26/16 10:08 AM
J
jagg Offline OP
TFF Team Angler
OP Offline
TFF Team Angler
J
So, I have fished the Nanofil line more in the last 8 months than I have since Berkley first released it. With that experience I feel I have a better understanding of the line, it's traits, strengths and weaknesses. I have fished the Nanofil on my St Croix Panfish rods and my BPS Microlite Graphite rods equipped with my Pflueger reels. I fished the Nanofil with jigs, double jig rigs, drop shot rigs, float 'n fly rigs and split shot rigs. I fished with 4lb test and 6lb test; with and without a mono leader.

I've found the 6lb test to be a better fit when fishing a rig that is at least 1/8th oz and really heavier worked out much better. 4lb test would be the line I would recommend for most of my fellow sunfish anglers. I would also recommend a mono leader attached with an Albright knot. If not for a stealthier presentation, than at least for shock absorption. Nanofil straight to the hook/jig has virtually no stretch and leads to broken line or straightened hooks more times than not in my experience. I found that I where Nanofil really excels for me is in long bombing most presentations, specifically jigs, split shot rigs and fixed float rigs. Not only did the 4lb Nanofil cast 1/16th, 1/32nd and 1/64th oz jigs out of sight (and I mean at least 1.5x further than any other line) it cut through the wind like a knife. The other side to the coin is I could feel every little thing on the end of those long bomb casts which is something I couldn't even say with my favorite Berkley Trilene XL. With the mono I could feel a hard strike on the end of long casts, but more often I would feel a mushy feeling or just a slight increase of weight. I have found that with the Nanofil, I can more accurately "feel" what is going on on the bottom and how the fish are biting (their mood). I can really feel the spot on the spot that we all know to look for. The ultra low stretch also helped increase my hook up ratio with all my rigs but especially with my float rigs. I don't often fish slip float rigs and the leader knot makes fishing slip floats on the Nanofil a little clumsy. Fixed float rigs on Nanofil however seem to be made for each other. The line is so thin that it offers extremely little resistance for the float going down and picking up line for a hookset is a breeze and even the smallest fish doesn't seem to sense the pick up of line until it's too late. Nanofil seems to behave better the longer you fish with it. It doesn't react well to quick, snap tension; it tends to break at an unpredictable spot further up the line. The best hookset tends to be a slight snap of the wrist or simply reeling down. The same goes if your line gets snagged. Slow, progressive and constant pressure will either straighten the hook or break the line at the knot.

All in all I am very pleased with the Nanofil line. It really allows me to take my style of fishing to the max. Just one anecdote: today I cast a 1/32nd jig tipped with a 1 1/2" triple tail grub max distance with the wind. I let the jig sink down to the bottom (around 12'-16') on a semi slack line and let it deadstick there for a few seconds. Before I could start reeling I felt a small but noticeable strike. I set the hook and brought to hand a 6"-8" black crappie. I don't believe I would have felt that strike with my trusted Trilene XL and would have had to hope that he would hang on to the lure during my first reel turn. Hope this helps someone out!

Bless the Lord, O my soul,
and all that is within me,
bless His Holy Name!

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCBzsXYK-44H5uEUe3WXjmLg
Re: Nanofil [Re: jagg] #11951852 11/26/16 10:12 AM
J
jagg Offline OP
TFF Team Angler
OP Offline
TFF Team Angler
J

Don't know why the pics go in sideways.

Last edited by jagg; 11/26/16 10:13 AM.

bless His Holy Name!

Re: Nanofil [Re: jagg] #11951887 11/26/16 12:15 PM
L
Laker One Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
L
Friend of mine uses Nanofil on his Crappie Rods. He seems to really like it especially while dock shooting.

Re: Nanofil [Re: jagg] #11952481 11/26/16 11:20 PM
D
Dr. Erk Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
D
I tried it and seemed to have overruns on my reels... Thought maybe I over filled them so took off several tens of yards. Didn't help. Went back to my trusty 10# braid.

texas
Wishing I was in my kayak.
Re: Nanofil [Re: jagg] #11952579 11/27/16 12:52 AM
G
Grainraiser Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
G
A few years ago Academy had it's 4lb Nanofil on clearance for $3 a spool. I bought 8 spools and I really love the line. The only thing I had to get adjusted to was tying the correct knot for it. Nanofil is super slick and I lost several nice fish due to the knot pulling lose. Found a good knot on Youtube and have been happy with the line ever since. Due to the cost I doubt I will purchase more of it in the future. As much as I like it and can't afford to put it on all of my reels.

Re: Nanofil [Re: Grainraiser] #11954402 11/28/16 09:26 AM
J
jagg Offline OP
TFF Team Angler
OP Offline
TFF Team Angler
J
Originally Posted By: Grainraiser
A few years ago Academy had it's 4lb Nanofil on clearance for $3 a spool. I bought 8 spools and I really love the line. The only thing I had to get adjusted to was tying the correct knot for it. Nanofil is super slick and I lost several nice fish due to the knot pulling lose. Found a good knot on Youtube and have been happy with the line ever since. Due to the cost I doubt I will purchase more of it in the future. As much as I like it and can't afford to put it on all of my reels.

Yeah, the cost definitely kept me from trying it for a while also. Especially since I had tried other braids and was sorely disappointed. But, Berkley claims that this line is specifically made for spinning reels and I for one believe them because this line does what they say it does. I've been fishing this and another mono line I have been trying out HARD since ice out (here in SE Colorado) and it fishes the same since day one if not better. When it does eventually need to get changed out, I plan to spool it on my spare spool to get to the fresh, unused line tied closest to the arbor. From late Spring thru Fall I might fish 4-5 times a week. Fishing that much I sometimes change mono line out once a week. That being the case I was going thru a bulk spool (around 3,000 yards) around once a year. That's $60! One filler spool of Nanofilis around $20 but it last all season at least and all I do is tie on a new leader once to twice a week.

And yeah, the Albright knot seems to be the perfect line to line knot for Nanofil.

Also, I tried Nanofil a little when it came out and didn't much like it either. It may have been a different formula back then, but I know they only had white line back then and I have a lot of confidence in green line and not much else. I was also tying directly to the lure/hook back then and I see now that that doesn't work for me. Also, make sure you either spool up the line on a shallow spool or use a mono or electrical tape backing and tape down the arbor knot or it won't slip on the spool. It may seem like a lot of maintenance, but once you do everything the right way and start fishing it, you will definitely have at least one rig spooled with Nanofil whenever you hit the water! I've heard an expression that fly fishing is similar in range to a bow and arrow. Well if that's the case and mono /'ultralight combos are like .222 open sight rifles, then Nanofil / ultralight combos are definitely similar to scoped sniper rifles. If you can get your hands on some 4lb Nanofil, you really should try it out and let us know how it goes.

Last edited by jagg; 12/03/16 05:46 AM. Reason: Won't slip on the spool

bless His Holy Name!

Re: Nanofil [Re: jagg] #11963077 12/03/16 12:23 AM
banker-always fishing Online Content
Pumpkin Head
Online Content
Pumpkin Head
Super post as always Jagg! Love threads like these. Lots of good information being passed on. thumb

[Linked Image][Linked Image]

IGFA World Record Rio Grande Cichlid. Lake Dunlap.

John 3:16

Sinner's Prayer. God forgive me a sinner. I accept Jesus Christ as my Savior !
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide