Print Thread
Want/need new graphs...what would you buy?! #11944466 11/21/16 03:23 PM
A
anthonyhicks101 Offline OP
TFF Team Angler
OP Offline
TFF Team Angler
A
The depth finder at the front of my boat has died. It's an older unit (Lowrance X102c), as is the one at my console (Lowrance LCX15-MT).

I have a Minn Kota Terrova and want to use the US2 at the bow. I've read that trying to run a transducer wire on this trolling motor can be difficult.

I'm thinking of two options.
1) Just replace the unit at the bow. I would want a recommendation for a good DI unit with GPS built in. I could install this myself.
2) I'd like to know what my options would be to replace the unit at the console, as well as the bow. If I go this route, I'd want SI on both if it can be done. I know the US2 on the Terrova will only do DI, but if I had it at the console, is it possible to network the front and back to both use the same SI transducer?

I'm REALLY out of the loop when it comes to SI and everything, could use some advice from some of ya'll that know.

Thanks!!

Originally Posted By: OK, Waco
anthonyhicks101 for president! Greatness right there.

Re: Want/need new graphs...what would you buy?! [Re: anthonyhicks101] #11945772 11/22/16 04:49 AM
B
Bobby Milam Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
B
No the US2 will not do DI. It will only do 2D. Yes if you buy units that are networkable, then you can share the SI and DI transducer with the transom. You'd just need the ethernet cable unless you have ilink on your Terrova then you ight consider a 5 port hub so that you can use the link features of the trolling motor with your FF.

No, running a cable is not difficult at all. Remove 4 screws under the head and one horizontal screw through the shaft and slide the head off. Unplug 4 wires then slide the shaft out from the bottom. Run transducer cable through then place cable in slot on shaft and reassemble. One person job and all you need is a phillips screwdriver.

What is your budget and what size screen do you want? I'd stick with Humminbird to match up with the rest of your equipment. There are several Helix models from 5" to 12" to choose from. I think it has to be atleast a 7 to network. they are also releasing the gen 2 helix units in a month or so. you can either get more features or find a gen 1 at a bargain price.

Go to someplace like BPS or Cabellas where you can see the units on display to decide on the size. You really want the largest screen that you can afford to get the most out of the SI. You'll also need a mapcard to go with it if you don't already have one or two.

Re: Want/need new graphs...what would you buy?! [Re: Bobby Milam] #11945933 11/22/16 01:03 PM
W
Wayne P. Online Content
TFF Celebrity
Online Content
TFF Celebrity
W
Originally Posted By: Bobby Milam
No the US2 will not do DI. It will only do 2D. Yes if you buy units that are networkable, then you can share the SI and DI transducer with the transom. You'd just need the ethernet cable unless you have ilink on your Terrova then you ight consider a 5 port hub so that you can use the link features of the trolling motor with your FF.

No, running a cable is not difficult at all. Remove 4 screws under the head and one horizontal screw through the shaft and slide the head off. Unplug 4 wires then slide the shaft out from the bottom. Run transducer cable through then place cable in slot on shaft and reassemble. One person job and all you need is a phillips screwdriver.

What is your budget and what size screen do you want? I'd stick with Humminbird to match up with the rest of your equipment. There are several Helix models from 5" to 12" to choose from. I think it has to be atleast a 7 to network. they are also releasing the gen 2 helix units in a month or so. you can either get more features or find a gen 1 at a bargain price.

Go to someplace like BPS or Cabellas where you can see the units on display to decide on the size. You really want the largest screen that you can afford to get the most out of the SI. You'll also need a mapcard to go with it if you don't already have one or two.

There are two new Helix 7 versions. The G2 is not networkable and the G2N is.
Some dealers have them in stock now. The discontinued Helix 7 models are not networkable.

Helix 12 CHIRP MEGA SI+ GPS G3N and G4N, 1198c SI, SOLIX 10 SI G3,
Helix 8 MEGA SI+ GPS G4N, SOLIX 12 SI and G3, MEGA 360, MEGA LIVE TL, RC-1
Re: Want/need new graphs...what would you buy?! [Re: Bobby Milam] #11946184 11/22/16 03:06 PM
J
Jones Trolling Motor Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
J
Originally Posted By: Bobby Milam

comment by Jones Trolling Motor: although this is done by many, it is not a suggested way of routing the transducer cable. The turning of the motor in the transmission can/will wear on the transducer cable and could cause the transmission to bind, drawing too many amps and destroy the control board.

comment made by Jones Trolling Motor

[Linked Image]
www.jonestrollingmotor.com
texarkana, Ark/Tx
Re: Want/need new graphs...what would you buy?! [Re: anthonyhicks101] #11946491 11/22/16 06:07 PM
Gamblinman Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
Buy the biggest screen size and newest technology you can afford. I have been a Lowrance man for 40 years, but my next units will be Humminbird.

Re: Want/need new graphs...what would you buy?! [Re: anthonyhicks101] #11946911 11/22/16 10:53 PM
B
Bob Landry Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
B
The latest and greatest Helix units are going to sell at full MSRP until the excitement wears off. The best deal around was the KVD Helix 12 CHIRP SI that a couple of the online retailers had on sale. Bobby Milam and I both picked up one for a little less than $1600. Free shipping and no sales tax really made it a good deal. There may be a few of them still around or possibly, someone who wants the newest stuff on the market may be selling some good units at a good price. If you are inclined to buy electronics off of flea-bay or Craigslist(I'm not), you may find some deals there. Personally, I would only buy new online, but that's just me.

2015 Seaark 1872 MV CC Etec-90
Two Helix 12 CHIRP SI's, , MinnKota Riptide ST80/i-pilot Link, Bob's Hydraulic
2020 Robalo R200 CC, Yamaha 150

Bitter Gun Owner
Bitter Clinger
Armed Infidel
Re: Want/need new graphs...what would you buy?! [Re: anthonyhicks101] #11947809 11/23/16 02:48 PM
Gamblinman Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
It would be a no-brainer for me...David at Shut Up and Fish. Good price, support, even installation if you need it.

Re: Want/need new graphs...what would you buy?! [Re: anthonyhicks101] #11947887 11/23/16 03:35 PM
A
anthonyhicks101 Offline OP
TFF Team Angler
OP Offline
TFF Team Angler
A
Yes, I'm leaning that direction I appreciate all who took time to comment.

Originally Posted By: OK, Waco
anthonyhicks101 for president! Greatness right there.

Re: Want/need new graphs...what would you buy?! [Re: anthonyhicks101] #11948611 11/24/16 12:21 AM
B
Bobby Milam Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
B
If you are buying new look at universalmania. They had the best prices that I could find anywhere, some of the prices beat others by hundreds.

Re: Want/need new graphs...what would you buy?! [Re: anthonyhicks101] #11948835 11/24/16 02:33 AM
B
Bob Landry Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
B
I bought mine @ Universal Mania also. Helix 12 CHIRP SI for less than $1600, no tax, free shipping. If you need someone to install it for you, then buying local is probably best for you. Installation is not rocket science and if you can DIY, you are $$$ ahead.

It's going to be a while before the G2 versions come down in price.

2015 Seaark 1872 MV CC Etec-90
Two Helix 12 CHIRP SI's, , MinnKota Riptide ST80/i-pilot Link, Bob's Hydraulic
2020 Robalo R200 CC, Yamaha 150

Bitter Gun Owner
Bitter Clinger
Armed Infidel
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide