Dec 30th, 2023
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Where are the bigger fish on Fork?? #11936335 11/16/16 03:09 AM
mwbmod74 Offline OP
Angler
OP Offline
Angler
I know there are huge fish in Fork, but I sure as heck cant find them. I am in no way a bank beater either, I have been catching a decent number of fish in the 12 to 25 range pretty regular, but most are unders, with a few slots mixed in. So where would one go to try to get on a real goodun???

Moritz Chevrolet - 9101 Camp Bowie W Blvd, Fort Worth, TX - Monte Coon (817) 696-2003
Re: Where are the bigger fish on Fork?? [Re: mwbmod74] #11936343 11/16/16 03:13 AM
J
JIM SR. Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
J
d e e p ninja

Re: Where are the bigger fish on Fork?? [Re: mwbmod74] #11936400 11/16/16 03:43 AM
GIG'EM AGGIES Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
I could give you a smarta$$ answer but I know you're serious so I won't. There were I think close to 3500 anglers in the Big Bass Splash recently and my recollection is there were less than 12 overs ( 24') caught in two days. Huge bass, those over 10lbs., have I believe acclimated themselves to living in areas less fished and are eating and feasting on crappie, bar fish and now smaller sand bass and are feeding less often and rarely see an artificial lure. I've discussed this theory with a few guides and also several full time tournament anglers and they mostly agree with me particularly on Lake Fork. No one wants to agree fully because they don't want to think they aren't capable of catching one everytime they go out. One guide claims to have caught over 35 DD bass. OOOOKKKAYY. Anyway, that's my theory and seems like folks keep proving me right cause I see post like yours a lot. Keep trying though, you can't catch'em if you ain't casting and it sho is fun.

I am a Senager. (Senior teenager) I have everything that I wanted as a teenager, only 50 years later. I get an allowance every month. I have PU truck and a bass boat, I am blessed.
Conscience never acquits, it either accuses or excuses.
Re: Where are the bigger fish on Fork?? [Re: mwbmod74] #11936413 11/16/16 03:51 AM
K
Kristopher Douglas. Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
K
In the pads.

Re: Where are the bigger fish on Fork?? [Re: mwbmod74] #11936453 11/16/16 04:23 AM
R
Rog Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
R
Buddy and I have been asking the same question.....caught some nice fish periodically in decent numbers until the end of September since then it's been pretty hit and miss. One thought I have is the main lake just turned the past couple of weeks as the water color is more of a brownish color the last three weeks and all the bait is now pretty much out in 16-30 fow with water temps still pretty much in the low 70s. Also it seems they are use to us chasing them on the community spots. Found a school of nice fish on a hump in 22' that lit up the graph as we went over them two weeks ago. Stopped, dropped a spoon and missed several solid thumps and finally hooked one in 4-5 range. We were like it's gonna be on now. Then they just disappeared.....graph went blank...it was really strange. Moved a bit and found bait with small marks a little shallower so stayed on the spot and caught probably 20 or so unders on drop shot and cr flukes but the smaller fish would not touch a spoon or anything else. Lastly starting to think the falling water has pushed them back out to suspend in the timber like when the lake was low the past few years. Next few weeks I am expecting to see some more size. Btw I watched some guys crushing the crappie already down by the dam on the usual spots.

Re: Where are the bigger fish on Fork?? [Re: mwbmod74] #11936496 11/16/16 05:08 AM
EZ_Legend Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
Get on the water, observe where 99% of bass boats are then go find shallow structure as far from them as you can.

2003 Legend LE21
Optimax 225
Re: Where are the bigger fish on Fork?? [Re: mwbmod74] #11936548 11/16/16 11:03 AM
P
PaPa@fork Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
P
Now that's a hard question,,,,
Fork has changed over the years and now I think it's more like deer hunting, "right place right time "
They have gotten beat too death and much like a deer they haven't got BIG by being stupid.
Too much pressure over years and have seen every thing that you can put in front of them.
They are still here but you have to work at it, 10" worms, slow down and it may take ALL DAY to find one over 24, like I said before, it's not the same ,, I'm thinking in a year or two it's going to be better ALL lakes go through high and lows.
2cents

If it was easy, everyone would do it
Re: Where are the bigger fish on Fork?? [Re: mwbmod74] #11936563 11/16/16 11:33 AM
J
Jarrett Latta Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
J
On Fork 5% of fisherman catch 95% of big fish...

And I firmly believe there are a certain number of big fish that simply won't bite lures. You can catch them off beds but that's about it.

Re: Where are the bigger fish on Fork?? [Re: mwbmod74] #11936616 11/16/16 01:01 PM
L
Lake Fork Guide Marc Mitchell Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
L
Big Bass are always hard to come by after BBS in Sept. It has been that way for many years.Lots of things happen to the lake in Sept which really makes the fish move and do funny things. Turn over, cold fronts just to name a couple.

I mostly fish for big fish just about every time we go out and it is no doubt gotten harder to get them. It could be less numbers of them as well as high pressure puts them into hiding.

I use a couple of different patterns that are just that. Going outside of the box to get them. I have also been known to get them better using scents even on worms that have scent. Sometimes scents gets their attention even on a bait they may have seen several times.

The other thing I have been able to do the last two years is stay with the shallow cover and fish any grass/bushes you can find. Lots of good fish shallow year round on Lake Fork.

So shallow it surprises most of my customers.

All the off shore stuff is getting beat up daily while the shallow stuff not hardly getting touched in some areas.IMO

Last edited by Lake Fork Guide Marc Mitchell; 11/16/16 01:02 PM.
Re: Where are the bigger fish on Fork?? [Re: mwbmod74] #11937288 11/16/16 08:13 PM
M
Mulholland Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
M
They are sleeping... During the day.

Do exactly what you're doing but try it at night, and be throwing the right baits, and maybe you'll have better luck.

Its probably more "when are the big bass active/feeding" than where are they. Probably more important than "what are they eating" too.

Re: Where are the bigger fish on Fork?? [Re: mwbmod74] #11937346 11/16/16 08:53 PM
Bruce Allen Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
GIGEM..JUST FOR ONCE try to get your facts straight. Three days and 26 overs.

Question for Mr mwd? what do you consider a big one? How many 6's or 7's or 8's or 9's have you already caught?

When I catch a 7 lb I am thrilled and equally so as they get bigger. Some say that the 7-8's fight better than those over 10.

They fight hard no doubt but the bigger ones are more of a challenge because they seem to know where to go to get wrapped and then get off. And some have that no stopping them power you have never felt until you actually do get one on.

All you can do as they charge you and go under the boat is to get your thumb on the thumb bar and depress it hoping to give them enough pressure to slow them down without popping your line.

So I'd say to answer your question is try to fish in deep open water at night.

Last edited by Bruce Allen; 11/16/16 08:55 PM.

Lake Fork Anglers
Every Thursday
Daytime Tournaments.

Lake Fork Sportsman's Association
www.lakeforksa.com/

We are VERY PROUD of our Induction into the
Texas Freshwater Fishing Hall of Fame.

Re: Where are the bigger fish on Fork?? [Re: Mulholland] #11937451 11/16/16 10:14 PM
R
Rog Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
R
Originally Posted By: Mulholland
They are sleeping... During the day.

Do exactly what you're doing but try it at night, and be throwing the right baits, and maybe you'll have better luck.

Its probably more "when are the big bass active/feeding" than where are they. Probably more important than "what are they eating" too.

I have to agree with you and Bruce on the night bite for size. In my 20s use to crush em from 2-4 in the morning after going dancing at Cowboys and then sleep in the boat until daylight..:....too dang old for all that now as it takes me two days to recover just from staying up all night. lol.

Re: Where are the bigger fish on Fork?? [Re: Bruce Allen] #11937597 11/16/16 11:56 PM
GIG'EM AGGIES Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
Originally Posted By: Bruce Allen

Question for Mr mwd? what do you consider a big one? How many 6's or 7's or 8's or 9's have you already caught?

When I catch a 7 lb I am thrilled and equally so as they get bigger. Some say that the 7-8's fight better than those over 10.

They fight hard no doubt but the bigger ones are more of a challenge because they seem to know where to go to get wrapped and then get off. And some have that no stopping them power you have never felt until you actually do get one on.

All you can do as they charge you and go under the boat is to get your thumb on the thumb bar and depress it hoping to give them enough pressure to slow them down without popping your line.

You are correct Bruce, what I should have said how many 10 and over were caught. A lot of those overs were 7 lb'ers which is not considered big for a 24" fish. I've caught 21" bass that weighed over 7 lbs.

I am a Senager. (Senior teenager) I have everything that I wanted as a teenager, only 50 years later. I get an allowance every month. I have PU truck and a bass boat, I am blessed.
Conscience never acquits, it either accuses or excuses.
Re: Where are the bigger fish on Fork?? [Re: mwbmod74] #11938017 11/17/16 05:12 AM
M
Mulholland Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
M
One would assume if indeed and slots aren't satisfying the OP is just looking for overs so yeah... including all the overs would be smart.

A 7LB fish is a 7on fish... It doesn't need any qualification beyond that.

Re: Where are the bigger fish on Fork?? [Re: GIG'EM AGGIES] #11938175 11/17/16 01:28 PM
Ken A. Offline
Groovy
Groovy
Originally Posted By: GIG'EM AGGIES
Originally Posted By: Bruce Allen

You are correct Bruce, what I should have said how many 10 and over were caught. A lot of those overs were 7 lb'ers which is not considered big for a 24" fish. I've caught 21" bass that weighed over 7 lbs.

Can you two old farts try to get along!
hmmm

Page 1 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide