Most Online39,925
Dec 30th, 2023
Print Thread
PK Weekend Trip #11932792 11/14/16 03:46 AM
FlaNative Online Content OP
Pro Angler
OP Online Content
Pro Angler
The wife and I spent the weekend at PK with our friends and neighbors, staying at the Hide-Away cabins. Tom (TFF: West Texas Angler) and I put in at South D&D and fished Friday morning thru about 1:30pm, catching about 25 fish, including two over 5 pounds. We fished boat docks, reeds and brush and caught most of our fish in less than 10' of water. We tried a little of everything but caught most of them on weightless or lightly weighted soft plastics. The wives joined us that afternoon and we had dinner at the Rockin S Bar & Grill next door (excellent BBQ burger!).

Saturday morning we put in at Bug Beach and tried some new water, picking up 20+ fish, mostly small but including one about 4# and another one that was almost 6#. That fish looked sick, with a sunken belly (see pic below). When I hooked her she kind of rolled over and didn't put up much of a fight. She swam off when I released her, but I'm not sure she's in very good shape. She might have some discarded plastics stuck in her digestive tract, but I didn't see anything protruding anywhere. Based on the size of her head, I would have expected her to be well over 7#.

We were ready to get off the water by noon, which is when we discovered the cranking battery had died. Sandy Creek Marina dispatched someone to the courtesy dock at Bug Beach with a new battery, they installed it and we were ready to head back to the cabin within an hour. Excellent service from the folks at Sandy Creek and we'll do business with them again! Took a drive around the lake Saturday afternoon with the wives to have lunch at the restaurant at Possum Hollow Camp. Excellent food and service! Circled around to the south to complete the circuit and really enjoyed the drive along the dam road.

Sunday morning we put in at South D&D again, but the conditions had changed to blue bird skies, so the bite was off a bit. All three mornings we really didn't have much of an early morning bite, with mid-morning really starting the peak activity each day. Picked up one just over 4# and headed in about 9:30am so we could head back to Fort Worth.

All in all, it was a great getaway weekend. The wives enjoyed the craft fair at the PK Chamber of Commerce and did some shopping and lunch in Mineral Wells. We enjoyed watching the whitetail in full rut activity (November full moon... duh!), with a lot of chasing going on. We scattered a bag of deer corn behind our cabin and had company out there all weekend, which the wives really enjoyed.

PK is alive and well and much improved from the past few years. Next spring should be epic if we can avoid algae blooms and drought. If you're looking for another good lake to add to your rotation, you could certainly do worse. Give it a shot!

Steve Raulerson
Ranger RT188
Florida Native by Birth, Texan by Choice
[Linked Image]
Moritz Chevrolet - 9101 Camp Bowie W Blvd, Fort Worth, TX - Monte Coon (817) 696-2003
Re: PK Weekend Trip [Re: FlaNative] #11932804 11/14/16 03:51 AM
banker-always fishing Online Content
Pumpkin Head
Online Content
Pumpkin Head
Awesome post. Thanks for sharing. cheers

[Linked Image][Linked Image]

IGFA World Record Rio Grande Cichlid. Lake Dunlap.

John 3:16

Sinner's Prayer. God forgive me a sinner. I accept Jesus Christ as my Savior !
Re: PK Weekend Trip [Re: FlaNative] #11932895 11/14/16 07:39 AM
O
OliverBassin Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
O
Thanks for detailed account. Good job

Why so complicated?
Re: PK Weekend Trip [Re: FlaNative] #11933045 11/14/16 01:25 PM
west tex angler Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
Steve is being kind. All of the heavier fish came on his approach and not mine. I think I caught one over 16".
If not in a tournament, I like to keep two different approaches going instead of both doing the same thing. We both caught a lot of fish, and learned more about the lake.
I have fished PK for over sixty years starting with my Dad and I when I was six years old. We would rent a v bottom boat at South D & D, drop a brick for an anchor, and fish big minnows about two ft up from the bottom. (Sort of a live bait drop shot) We always caught a lot of fish.
After all of the droughts, floods, Algae blooms, etc,,, if PK keeps a stable water level, next spring should be excellent for the old girl.
BTW, a big thanks to Sandy Creek Marine at PK. Their quick response to a dead battery helped to save an otherwise great trip.
Also, there was NO price gouging on the battery. Maybe one hour went by from the time we called them while out on the lake, to the time they arrived at Bug Beach launch. Thanks guys.

Good Luck
Tom

PB 9lbs 13oz
Re: PK Weekend Trip [Re: FlaNative] #11933963 11/14/16 09:11 PM
V
varnoldi Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
V
Nice looking fish! PK is on my "to do" list. Just moved up a few spots thanks to you

2003 VIP vixen 2096
Re: PK Weekend Trip [Re: FlaNative] #11934011 11/14/16 09:30 PM
danceswithbass Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
Loved the detailed report, nice coupla days on the Kingdom

Re: PK Weekend Trip [Re: FlaNative] #11934013 11/14/16 09:31 PM
Donald Harper Online Happy
TFF Guru
Online Happy
TFF Guru
Thanks for sharing the excellent report.

Each person you work with holds some promise to your future success.
Websiite Sponsors:
www.eletewater.com - Staying Hydrated
www.lakeoviachic.com - Booking Mexico Trips
20 Hot Spot Mapping - GPS Contour Chips - Custom Spinner Baits - Jigs -Spooks
Pure Extracts - Minnow-Night Crawler-Crayfish-Craylic

Re: PK Weekend Trip [Re: FlaNative] #11937641 11/17/16 12:22 AM
B
Bassfisher_2 Offline
Green Horn
Green Horn
B
I'm about to fish in atounament at PK, so what lures and Coker's worked best where you fished? Any help would be appreciated.

Re: PK Weekend Trip [Re: Bassfisher_2] #11937647 11/17/16 12:28 AM
K
Ken Starling Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
K
Please check your messages.
Originally Posted By: Bassfisher_2
I'm about to fish in atounament at PK, so what lures and Coker's worked best where you fished? Any help would be appreciated.

Re: PK Weekend Trip [Re: FlaNative] #11937658 11/17/16 12:35 AM
K
Ken Starling Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
K
Boat captains, coaches, parents, advisors and participating student anglers may not solicit, receive, purchase, or barter for information about locating or catching fish on tournament waters, including GPS way points 14 days prior to any THSBA tournament. In addition, during the 14 day no information span no competitors will be permitted to practice or gain assistance from anyone for the purpose of locating or catching fish, except a teammate, coach, advisor, family member or other person entered into the same event. Boat captains, coaches, parents, advisors and participating student anglers are prohibited in hiring guides 30 days prior to ANY event. Violation of these rules may result in disqualification. This rule will be presented as a question on polygraph. The hiring of a guide as a boat captain is also not permitted, unless they have not guided in the past 30 days.

Re: PK Weekend Trip [Re: FlaNative] #11938164 11/17/16 01:21 PM
FlaNative Online Content OP
Pro Angler
OP Online Content
Pro Angler
On a related note, if you happen to find a Tilley hat between South D&D and the Hide-Away Cabins area, let me know. I lost mine somewhere and Hideaway says their housekeeping didn't find it. I'll happily pay a small reward for its return! 2cents

Steve Raulerson
Ranger RT188
Florida Native by Birth, Texan by Choice
[Linked Image]
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide