facebook
Forum Stats
102694 Members
61 Forums
858503 Topics
11262246 Posts

Max Online: 36273 @ 01/23/13 02:34 PM
Topic Options
#11929321 - 11/11/16 03:49 PM Is there a secret to finding crappie in trees?
Ltcm09 Offline
Outdoorsman

I live near lake naconiche and its full of timber i have the lastest technology side imaging ect but the problem is theres so much trees when you scan side imaging

Do you guys looks for certain trees or am i just doing it wrong? theres a bridge on the lake but theres only one. I imagine that there in the trees

anyone fish this lake?

#11929355 - 11/11/16 04:16 PM Re: Is there a secret to finding crappie in trees? [Re: Ltcm09]
fishin'aholic2 Online   content
TFF Guru

Loc: Irving, Texas
You can narrow down all of the trees by depth, kind of trees and sometimes the size of the trees. I would look for trees in the 5-25 ft (I wish I could narrow it down more but I don't know how deep the fish run there) and start fishing till you get bit and look at your depth (bottom), how deep the fish was in the water column and the kind of tree and duplicate the pattern on the rest of the timber.

Text Joey at 817-897-1384 for great rod and rod repair rates!

www.youtube.com/KIDKRAPPIE

#11929509 - 11/11/16 06:07 PM Re: Is there a secret to finding crappie in trees? [Re: Ltcm09]
bush hog Offline
Extreme Angler

Loc: Beckville, TX
Look for any type of structure change such as creek bends, drop offs, tree lines. I've always done best fishing brush piles on Naconiche but there again trying to graph crappie on that lake is hard because the entire bottom is one big brush pile. They're are some outstanding crappie in that lake when you can find them. As for the bridge...it's just hit and miss.

#11929513 - 11/11/16 06:10 PM Re: Is there a secret to finding crappie in trees? [Re: Ltcm09]
bush hog Offline
Extreme Angler

Loc: Beckville, TX
pm sent

#11933348 - 11/14/16 10:11 AM Re: Is there a secret to finding crappie in trees? [Re: Ltcm09]
Duck_Jerky Offline
TFF Team Angler

Loc: Kaufman, TX
I rely more on the down imaging for trees. Use the side imaging to locate them, then down imaging to see if there is a reason to stop and fish it wink
www.youtube.com/BnMFishingPoles - YouTube Channel
www.driftmaster.com - Driftmaster Rod Holders
www.lftlures.com - Innovative, quality fishing lures made in the USA

#11933406 - 11/14/16 10:40 AM Re: Is there a secret to finding crappie in trees? [Re: Ltcm09]
shut-up-and-fish Online   content
TFF Celebrity

Loc: Coppell Tx.

Look out across the the standing timber and focus on what is different. (i.e) if you are in a field of pecan trees and you see several Cedar trees I would head for the Cedars trees. If you see a row of trees aside a field of trees focus on the row of trees. Something different will on most occasions bring about a crappie sitting.

It's all coming together and we have you covered @ Shut-Up-And-Fish LLC
for all your Humminbird, Minn Kota & Motorguide needs.
We do Installs!!! 972 737 8161

#11934522 - 11/14/16 07:56 PM Re: Is there a secret to finding crappie in trees? [Re: Ltcm09]
Gamblinman Offline
Extreme Angler

Loc: Yantis, TX
3 things I look for...Bo dark trees, trees laying at a 45° angle, and trees laying across a ditch or channel. Those get my attention first.

Gman

#11934986 - 11/15/16 07:25 AM Re: Is there a secret to finding crappie in trees? [Re: Ltcm09]
leanin post Online   content
TFF Celebrity

Loc: TEXAS
not an expert on trees by far but the ones that are seperate from the others in the right areas seem to be where I find fish or a small clump of trees in the right areas. Lets say you have a line of standing timber that crosses a slew or cove. Try to find a lone clump, or even a single laydown tree or small clump of trees behind that main treeline, or in front of that main tree line. If there is a structure variant in front of that tree line, like was mentioned as a ditch, roadbed, hump, rockpile, drop off, channel bend ect, concentrate there first. Large trees on either end might be good on the treeline.
Sumberged trees that most anglers pass up, that are in areas of humps and troughs, many folks scan an area with thier side imaging and dont see them ( SIDE IMAGING DOES NOT GO OVER HUMPS AND KEEP SHOWIING THINGS .. IT CANNOT GO THRU IT EITHER .. THATS WHY YOU SEE A "SHADOW" WHICH IS REALLY A VOID" . Thats why in areas of heavy indulations I ALWAYS use my 2D sonar and down image unit. It will take you longer to scan an area, but you will find everything there. If the terrain is relatively flat, I will certainly use my side image.
Also just like brushpiles, theres a reason some do better than others. look at the underwater topograpy. if it would be a good place for a brush pile, it will also be a good tree.
Heres my opinion of the big picture.. crappie are mainly nightfeeders of opportunity. Crappie follow larger gamefish into coves, flats, ditches, slews, ect at night that have corralled large schools of shad into these areas to feed. once done feeding, crappie will stage in areas near where this feed is taking place the next morning, digesting the food, and waiting for the next feed. The crappie you catch during daytime, are either pretty much a reaction bite, or crappie who didnt get much at the night feed.
The areas where these feeds take place can change daily depending on where the shad decide to go. The predominant wind direction can have a factor in this, because it blows plankton into certain areas, also mild currents from water fluctuations, nutrient content ect. Just an opine from a simple coon [censored] who catches a few now and then.

Edited by leanin post (11/15/16 07:26 AM)

www.nekidtackle.com
Ask Ron about his crappie trolling rigs designed with input from top crappie fisherman!!

#11936671 - 11/16/16 07:40 AM Re: Is there a secret to finding crappie in trees? [Re: Ltcm09]
kickingback Offline
Pro Angler

Loc: Texas
Silly people...crappie are not in trees. They are in the water! Try looking there first!!

#11936860 - 11/16/16 09:20 AM Re: Is there a secret to finding crappie in trees? [Re: kickingback]
MilesHunter Offline
Pro Angler

Loc: Mansfield, TX
Originally Posted By: kickingback
Silly people...crappie are not in trees. They are in the water! Try looking there first!!

roflmao

#11937874 - 11/16/16 08:47 PM Re: Is there a secret to finding crappie in trees? [Re: fishin'aholic2]
Stucky76 Online   happy
TFF Guru

Loc: Bedford, TX
Originally Posted By: fishin'aholic2
You can narrow down all of the trees by depth, kind of trees and sometimes the size of the trees. I would look for trees in the 5-25 ft (I wish I could narrow it down more but I don't know how deep the fish run there) and start fishing till you get bit and look at your depth (bottom), how deep the fish was in the water column and the kind of tree and duplicate the pattern on the rest of the timber.

Great advice man. Simple and true.

#11938496 - 11/17/16 10:56 AM Re: Is there a secret to finding crappie in trees? [Re: Ltcm09]
red snappa Offline
Angler

Loc: Diana,TX

You are looking for images like these with your side scan. Look for what I call Christmas trees, because they have big ornaments in them. Hope this helps a little, notice the drop off in each example (structure) with the cover close by or over the structure.

#11938862 - 11/17/16 02:41 PM Re: Is there a secret to finding crappie in trees? [Re: Duck_Jerky]
Ruffneck2000 Offline
Extreme Angler

Loc: tx
This!!!
Originally Posted By: Duck_Jerky
I rely more on the down imaging for trees. Use the side imaging to locate them, then down imaging to see if there is a reason to stop and fish it wink
thumb
'A veteran - whether active duty, retired, national guard, or reserve - is someone who, at one point in his, or her life, wrote a blank check made payable to The 'United States of America', for an amount of 'up to and including ones life.' (Author unknown)

#11939429 - 11/17/16 08:09 PM Re: Is there a secret to finding crappie in trees? [Re: Ltcm09]
Fish Chaser Offline
Pro Angler

If you see and eagle in a tree with a fish in its mouth look closely and it might be a crappie.

© 1998-2016 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide