Page 1 of 2 1 2
Lake Fork #11921609 11/07/16 08:03 PM
F
FordBoy Offline OP
Angler
OP Offline
Angler
F
I'm taking my Father to Lake Fork this Friday, after about 20 years since our last trip. In need of some intel as to where to fish. Not looking for anyone's secret spots, just general areas and baits. Anything unusual we should be taking as far as baits go, other than the usual fall suspects?

Any, and all assistance will be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance!!

Moritz Chevrolet - 9101 Camp Bowie W Blvd, Fort Worth, TX - Monte Coon (817) 696-2003
Re: Lake Fork [Re: FordBoy] #11921645 11/07/16 08:25 PM
GIG'EM AGGIES Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
If it's been 20 years you're in for a big surprise. You won't recognize the places you use to fish and on top of that the lake is now full of SAND BASS. You should be able to find some fish about half way to the backs of creeks. Find the bait fish and you'll find the bass. I've been catching them on square bills, baby Grande Bass in rattlesnake color, flukes and senko's. Little bit of schooling action but the fish are small. I like most of the coves from Dale to Big Mustang. Good luck and enjoy the time with your father. Take him to Oak Ridge Marina for a big chicken fried steak dinner. That will make both of you happy.

fish

I am a Senager. (Senior teenager) I have everything that I wanted as a teenager, only 50 years later. I get an allowance every month. I have PU truck and a bass boat, I am blessed.
Conscience never acquits, it either accuses or excuses.
Re: Lake Fork [Re: GIG'EM AGGIES] #11921664 11/07/16 08:37 PM
F
FordBoy Offline OP
Angler
OP Offline
Angler
F
Thank you for the insight! We've been to Naconiche the past 2 weeks, and all we could say was that it looked like Fork used to back in the day. Catching fish is just a plus to the time spent with Dad.

Re: Lake Fork [Re: FordBoy] #11921675 11/07/16 08:42 PM
Bruce Allen Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
Gig if the lake is so full of sandbass how come I've only caught three this year including one in the first sand bass tournament, none in the second sand bass tournament where 35 anglers managed 14 sandies and I fish at least two times every week? To date I have fished 38 large mouth bass and 2 sand bass tournaments this year.

Other wise I'd say you are pretty much on for catching bass.

Lake Fork Anglers
Every Thursday
Daytime Tournaments.

Lake Fork Sportsman's Association
www.lakeforksa.com/

We are VERY PROUD of our Induction into the
Texas Freshwater Fishing Hall of Fame.

Re: Lake Fork [Re: FordBoy] #11921722 11/07/16 09:00 PM
R
Rog Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
R
Start looking on points and creek bends in 13-22'. Use your graph to find balls of shad. Right now it's a typical fall pattern. Shallow fish have been hit and miss but again if you find shad stacked in a cove or pocket you will find some bass stacked up. If your dad is looking to fish acres of hydrilla like 20 years ago he will be disappointed. There are only a few spots with any assemblance of grass and most is pretty shallow since the water has dropped. But the old fall spots have been holding fish again so have dad take you to where he caught them 20 yrs ago. Cr flukes have been working best for me. Get ready for lots of 13-16 " fish. I have heard of some big fish stacked up out deep but I can't find em. White bass were thick last year and early this spring but luckily now can only catch blacks where the whites were thick last year and have not caught a white since the late spring.

Re: Lake Fork [Re: Bruce Allen] #11921740 11/07/16 09:06 PM
GIG'EM AGGIES Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
Originally Posted By: Bruce Allen
Gig if the lake is so full of sandbass how come I've only caught three this year including one in the first sand bass tournament, none in the second sand bass tournament where 35 anglers managed 14 sandies and I fish at least two times every week? To date I have fished 38 large mouth bass and 2 sand bass tournaments this year.

I didn't say they were easy to catch, I just said the lake was full of them. There are 4-5 guides that are staying busy fishing for them and catching them. I haven't fished for them so have no idea how to but I do know a little about catching LMB ( PB 14.19 ) Most people who fish for sandies go to Tawakoni, Cedar Creek, Texoma, etc. and are probably more knowledgeable about how to catch'em but those lakes have different habitat for sandies than Fork. The reports I have seen on here say they catch'em on the roadbeds. I'm not equipped to fish for them so I don't try. If you really want to fish for them talk to some of the guides, I know you know who they are and they'll probably be more than willing to help you. Heard they were fun to catch.

I am a Senager. (Senior teenager) I have everything that I wanted as a teenager, only 50 years later. I get an allowance every month. I have PU truck and a bass boat, I am blessed.
Re: Lake Fork [Re: GIG'EM AGGIES] #11921779 11/07/16 09:17 PM
Paul - Lake Fork Online Content
Extreme Angler
Online Content
Extreme Angler
Originally Posted By: GIG'EM AGGIES

I didn't say they were easy to catch, I just said the lake was full of them. There are 4-5 guides that are staying busy fishing for them and catching them. I haven't fished for them so have no idea how to but I do know a little about catching LMB ( PB 14.19 ) Most people who fish for sandies go to Tawakoni, Cedar Creek, Texoma, etc. and are probably more knowledgeable about how to catch'em but those lakes have different habitat for sandies than Fork. The reports I have seen on here say they catch'em on the roadbeds. I'm not equipped to fish for them so I don't try. If you really want to fish for them talk to some of the guides, I know you know who they are and they'll probably be more than willing to help you. Heard they were fun to catch.
On my night time trips usually catch 3-5 sandies a night, however this year I want to say were averaging 1 every 2 trips . Somehow they are thinning out at least in the spots I visit.

In order to catch Big Fish..Sometimes you gotta Suffer.

Re: Lake Fork [Re: Paul - Lake Fork] #11921800 11/07/16 09:26 PM
GIG'EM AGGIES Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
Originally Posted By: Paul Hyland - Lake Fork Guide

On my night time trips usually catch 3-5 sandies a night, however this year I want to say were averaging 1 every 2 trips . Somehow they are thinning out at least in the spots I visit.

WOW, that's shocking. Earlier this year the moans could be heard all the way to Louisiana about how the sand bass have taken over. Maybe it was an exaggeration. That's what I was basing my comment on. I don't fish for'em so I really don't have first hand information. I guess I need to recant.

Re: Lake Fork [Re: FordBoy] #11921829 11/07/16 09:43 PM
B
Billy_Lawson Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
B
Sand bass are definitely less than years past this year, I believe it's mostly the fact that we have so many young green fish from 2 years of outstanding spawns that they are the biggest population of fish species in that size class now. Maybe the sandie tourneys helped! If so y'all are welcome to pick of all my possessions and I am forever indebted! Lol.

On catching fish, catching small bass won't be a problem for y'all, they are active in every creek on obvious stuff like secondary points flats next to channel bends, just anywhere that looks fishy. You can catch them on crank, worms, top waters in low light, however really. Bigger fish are much harder to come by right now for me. The few I've found are super shallow around docks with 3 things near by, #1 depth change, while these fish are in less than a foot at times you want to have at least 4-5 ft close by, #2 bait, you need to be seeing a lot of bait activity, #3 vegetation, maybe pads or coo tail or any kind really. When I have found docks with all this going with it I have caught a few better sized fish around them, on small spinnerbaits, flipping creature baits and small jigs, and frogs. Hope that will help you and dad, y'all feel free to call me in the evening when y'all are here if you need anything.

Re: Lake Fork [Re: FordBoy] #11921844 11/07/16 09:52 PM
F
FordBoy Offline OP
Angler
OP Offline
Angler
F
Thank Y'all once again! Like I said catching fish will just be a plus side to our outing. But, it's a pretty fair chunk from Corsicana to the lake......... So I'd like to at least get my hands stinky....

Re: Lake Fork [Re: FordBoy] #11921867 11/07/16 10:02 PM
E
ezbassin Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
E
Originally Posted By: FordBoy
Thank you for the insight! We've been to Naconiche the past 2 weeks, and all we could say was that it looked like Fork used to back in the day. Catching fish is just a plus to the time spent with Dad.

Stay there instead of coming to Fork. Most of the bass being caught at Fork are small.

Re: Lake Fork [Re: GIG'EM AGGIES] #11921878 11/07/16 10:06 PM
E
ezbassin Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
E
If it's been 20 years you're in for a big surprise. You won't recognize the places you use to fish and on top of that the lake is now full of SAND BASS. You should be able to find some fish about half way to the backs of creeks. Find the bait fish and you'll find the bass. I've been catching them on square bills, baby Grande Bass in rattlesnake color, flukes and senko's. Little bit of schooling action but the fish are small. I like most of the coves from Dale to Big Mustang. Good luck and enjoy the time with your father. Take him to Oak Ridge Marina for a big chicken fried steak dinner. That will make both of you happy.

fish

I have never heard of a Grande Bass (rattlesnake) color. The "rattlesnake" color must be something new. What does it look like? I don't see it on the web site.

Last edited by ezbassin; 11/07/16 10:53 PM.
Re: Lake Fork [Re: ezbassin] #11921950 11/07/16 11:02 PM
GIG'EM AGGIES Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
Originally Posted By: ezbassin

fish

I have never heard of a Grande Bass (rattlesnake) color. The "rattlesnake" color must be something new. What does it look like? I don't see it on the web site.

Sorry ez, I misspoke or misswrote , rattlesnake is the name, watermelon red is the color. They come in two sizes, 4.75 and 3.75. Had more success with the smaller size.

Re: Lake Fork [Re: FordBoy] #11921990 11/07/16 11:26 PM
B
Banker Fisherman Offline
Angler
Angler
B
I really like the Grande Bass line of baits, their rattlesnake worm is awesome with the floating tail. The bass were killing june bug colors as well as blue or purple with green or blue fleck. If you are fishing shallow, they are liking some wacky rigged worms as well as texas rigged craws. Deep water will get you on the carolina rig. As for spots, just depends on where you are launching. I like to stay within a reasonable distance from where we launch, not try to go from one side of the lake to the other.

[Linked Image]
Re: Lake Fork [Re: FordBoy] #11922179 11/08/16 01:07 AM
Battson34 Offline
Angler
Angler
They have great scent too.

Page 1 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide