Forums59
Topics1,038,946
Posts13,956,151
Members144,183
Most Online39,925
Dec 30th, 2023
Print Thread
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Re: Anyone know what caused this fill kill in Caney? [Re: David Welcher] #11922265 11/08/16 01:46 AM
D
DKennimer Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
D
Hopefully this "experiment " is for the better (for the future...) and, not for the killing off of the grass. It sucks to see all those dead fish, but if it saves thousands in the future it's worth it. Still hard to see... that one on the log in the second pic looks like a 6-7 pounder.

Moritz Chevrolet - 9101 Camp Bowie W Blvd, Fort Worth, TX - Monte Coon (817) 696-2003
Re: Anyone know what caused this fill kill in Caney? [Re: David Welcher] #11922284 11/08/16 01:55 AM
E
ezbassin Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
E
They need to quit their testing since they are killing fish.

Last edited by ezbassin; 11/08/16 01:56 AM.
Re: Anyone know what caused this fill kill in Caney? [Re: David Welcher] #11922413 11/08/16 02:53 AM
O
OliverBassin Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
O
Something bad was going on there. SAD to see this scene.

Why so complicated?
Re: Anyone know what caused this fill kill in Caney? [Re: David Welcher] #11922650 11/08/16 11:38 AM
hopalong Online Confused
Pescador Loco
Online Confused
Pescador Loco
if ya blow the pics up it looks like most of the fish are catfish and sandbass, some crappie as well. I do see 3 nice slots though.

not good either way.

" Hop, set the hook"!
hopalong 99,999
TexDawg 99,999
FJB! not my president by a long shot!

lake fork FISHERMANS COVE MARINA/reservations - 903 474 7479
Re: Anyone know what caused this fill kill in Caney? [Re: David Welcher] #11922850 11/08/16 02:08 PM
B
BAGaBass Offline
Angler
Angler
B
So,if the chemical used to test the fish kills them.....would it kill whatever eats that contaminated fish?

Re: Anyone know what caused this fill kill in Caney? [Re: BAGaBass] #11922859 11/08/16 02:13 PM
RedRanger Online Content
burro desagradable
Online Content
burro desagradable
Originally Posted By: BAGaBass
So,if the chemical used to test the fish kills them.....would it kill whatever eats that contaminated fish?

You would think so

Re: Anyone know what caused this fill kill in Caney? [Re: RedRanger] #11922979 11/08/16 02:59 PM
S
sprigsss Online Content
Extreme Angler
Online Content
Extreme Angler
S
Originally Posted By: RedRanger
Originally Posted By: BAGaBass

You would think so

Not Necessarily. We have no idea what "chemical" they were testing and how this chemical will kill fish.

For example, a high enough dosage of surfactants can kill fish by adsorbing to their kills and preventing oxygen exchange. This would have zero effect on any other organism that consumed these fish.

It is also possible that the testing was not done on the lake and was done to determine lethal dosages. These fish may have been doomed from the beginning. They likely tested at a broad range of dosages until they reached a dosage at which 50% of the population was killed within a specified time period (LD50). Now if they use the same chemical in a lake, they will make sure dosages are a fraction of the LD50.

Of course this is all as much speculation as anyone else at the moment, but dead fish doesn't necessarily mean doom and gloom. I doubt very seriously chemical "testing" was done on the lake itself and this just happened to be the disposal site. Guess they could have angered other people and thrown them in someone's dumpster.

Re: Anyone know what caused this fill kill in Caney? [Re: David Welcher] #11923063 11/08/16 03:47 PM
F
Fishbreeder Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
F

Now I done looked at them fish up close and read the entire numbknutsbook, um, facebook bit (reminds why I stay away from there and come here instead...) and have an educated comment or three...

First, I'm both a fan and a harsh critic of TP&WD, but leaving a pile of fish anywhere to just rot or be "eaten by buzzards," is very unlike anybody I ever worked with in the org.

Second, there are several species of fishes in that picture. If I were to try and categorize the sample...

Species Relative Abundance

Gizzard Shad Dominant
Channel Catfish Abundant
Largemouth Bass Common
Bluegill Sunfish Uncommon
Freshwater Drum Rare
Buffalo or Carp Rare

I note there are no small fish in the sample and there are many unidentifiable examples. The group looks fairly fresh and not rotted. Also not spread out or disturbed by animals. The fish are not examples of samples taken from gill or trammel nets or traps as they've got no marks or bruises indicating such. Electrofishing in and of itself does not kill fish and fish sampled that way are usually returned alive. It does not appear to be a disease or pathogen as these tend to be very species specific and there are many species in the photos.

Note the fat condition of the catfish and the skinny condition of the bass.

So, something was likely wrong with the water quality, whether natural or a toxin. If from a "chemical to experiment with put in by biologists," it might be part of a group of fish taken for sampling by a method called "cove rotenone," where a natural fish poison (rotenone) is used to kill a small area and then use the dead fish to get an accurate sample of the fish from the area. Coves or necks are popular places for this. I don't think this a likely scenario.

If recently a herbicide has been applied to an area thick with aquatic grasses, and sometimes because the area is thick with grass it can go bad without any help, an oxygen depletion is possible. That can get all the fish in an area. Most aquatic herbicides, with a few notable exceptions, are not directly toxic to fish.

Perhaps an inquiry to the district biologist would yield an answer.

Fishbreeder

Re: Anyone know what caused this fill kill in Caney? [Re: David Welcher] #11923121 11/08/16 04:15 PM
R
RedEar12 Online Content
Extreme Angler
Online Content
Extreme Angler
R
TPWD 2000 fish & hydrylla kill, people spraying or using a herbicide around their docks for years. Its no wonder that lake has regressed over the past 16 yrs. TPWD mgmt practices on Fork is a joke.

Re: Anyone know what caused this fill kill in Caney? [Re: David Welcher] #11923144 11/08/16 04:27 PM
J
Jake Norman Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
J
It wasn't a direct test for "chemicals". It was part of a nationwide monitoring program, the national fish health survey, conducted by the US Fish and Wildlife Service. TPWD simply assist's the USFWS with it. There is no need for concern about the health of bass or any other species within Fork. Here's a link to the TPWD district Facebook page which explains a little more what they were doing. Scroll down to their second post.

https://www.facebook.com/InlandFisheriesTylerNorthDistrict/?fref=ts

Can't we all just get along....

Re: Anyone know what caused this fill kill in Caney? [Re: Rog] #11923168 11/08/16 04:43 PM
F
fish4bass Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
F
Originally Posted By: Rog
Originally Posted By: the skipper
What is the chemical testing?

That area is where all the grass/hydrilla has been...........just sayin. Many of us feel the zealousness to rid the state of hydrilla is what killed the fish in the early 2000s as that was a major initiative during that period, the kill coincided with the hydrilla disappearing in less than a month in April, and the same thing happened on the other LMBV affected waters like Sam Rayburn and Roberts. They keep spraying the hyacinth and it has also killed the hydrilla.......not sure I want to eat fish from a lake herbicides are used on........ I question why TPWD would perform chemical tests on public waters ????!!!!

The purists also blamed Waterdogs for the LMBV. In the effort to stop live bait fishing it was an opportunity that got so blown out of proportion that TPWD had "live bait" hearings from the public in Emory and Pilot Point. To your point.... it was pretty obvious the grass was poisoned at the same time as LMBV and the "live bait" put down failed.

And I know who "Jeff" is.
Re: Anyone know what caused this fill kill in Caney? [Re: David Welcher] #11923187 11/08/16 04:53 PM
R
RedEar12 Online Content
Extreme Angler
Online Content
Extreme Angler
R
The only entity big enough to spread a virus to three giant lakes is TPWD!

Re: Anyone know what caused this fill kill in Caney? [Re: Jake Norman] #11923328 11/08/16 06:33 PM
GIG'EM AGGIES Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
Originally Posted By: J_Norman
It wasn't a direct test for "chemicals". It was part of a nationwide monitoring program, the national fish health survey, conducted by the US Fish and Wildlife Service. TPWD simply assist's the USFWS with it. There is no need for concern about the health of bass or any other species within Fork. Here's a link to the TPWD district Facebook page which explains a little more what they were doing. Scroll down to their second post.

https://www.facebook.com/InlandFisheriesTylerNorthDistrict/?fref=ts

That's who I saw last Wednesday shocking up fish by the 154 public ramp. As the fish popped up one guy was netting them but I couldn't tell what species they were only that they were small. By the time I launched and parked my truck they were gone so I didn't see which way they went.

I am a Senager. (Senior teenager) I have everything that I wanted as a teenager, only 50 years later. I get an allowance every month. I have PU truck and a bass boat, I am blessed.
Conscience never acquits, it either accuses or excuses.
Re: Anyone know what caused this fill kill in Caney? [Re: David Welcher] #11924347 11/09/16 03:49 AM
Bruce Allen Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
they took the fish over to the dock at Oak Ridge where the US Fish & Wildlife service did their experiments.

they killed each and every fish to see what kind of "chemicals" were residing in their livers. Like mercury and other heavy metals like you might get from coal burning generators. And they have been doing these tests all over the country.

So there is no vast conspiracy by unknown scientists that want to kill the grasses and take our fish.

And it only took five pages of comment s to get the story straight.

It's LOL just the Obama administration (LOL) EPA wanting ammunition to shut down our coal burners in favor of the unfavorable nukes but very favorable wind and solar.

Global warming doncha know.

But that little add on sentence might get us another 5 pages. LOL

Lake Fork Anglers
Every Thursday
Daytime Tournaments.

Lake Fork Sportsman's Association
www.lakeforksa.com/

We are VERY PROUD of our Induction into the
Texas Freshwater Fishing Hall of Fame.

Re: Anyone know what caused this fill kill in Caney? [Re: Bruce Allen] #11924582 11/09/16 05:13 AM
R
Rog Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
R
Originally Posted By: Bruce Allen
they took the fish over to the dock at Oak Ridge where the US Fish & Wildlife service did their experiments.

they killed each and every fish to see what kind of "chemicals" were residing in their livers. Like mercury and other heavy metals like you might get from coal burning generators. And they have been doing these tests all over the country.

So there is no vast conspiracy by unknown scientists that want to kill the grasses and take our fish.

And it only took five pages of comment s to get the story straight.

It's LOL just the Obama administration (LOL) EPA wanting ammunition to shut down our coal burners in favor of the unfavorable nukes but very favorable wind and solar.

Global warming doncha know.

But that little add on sentence might get us another 5 pages. LOL

Thanks for the info! We all love that lake and black helicopters are so much more fun to banter about...... smile. Bad call on someone's part to dump on the bank IMO why not donate or something if all that was done is test organs. I am sure the sportsman association could have helped in that area for food species......dumping on a secluded bank causes lack of trust and doubt and theories rage.

Last edited by Rog; 11/09/16 05:21 AM.
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide