Print Thread
Afternoon bite okay for Crappie on Lavon? #11902890 10/27/16 02:58 PM
B
Brocephus Offline OP
Angler
OP Offline
Angler
B
How is the afternoon bite for Crappie this time of year? I might go this afternoon, or if it's not as productive I will wait until tomorrow morning if morning is considerably better.

Is late October a good time for dock shooting? I've never done it, but want to try it. Thinking of trying some timber areas around Brockdale, Collin, Tickey, and maybe Clear Lake Park.

I'm still trying to get my first "win" Crappie fishing. So far I've been skunked or just only able to catch a few dinks. Any tips would be appreciated!

It is far easier to fool people than to convince them they have been fooled - Mark Twain
Re: Afternoon bite okay for Crappie on Lavon? [Re: Brocephus] #11903008 10/27/16 03:54 PM
C
Cattle15 Offline
Green Horn
Green Horn
C
Crappie fishing is like life , the more you prepare , the more success you will have ! Time of day is not the major component, fishing where the fish are is far more important! If you want to fish this after noon ? Thirty days ago would have been a good time to prepare! However that's not the case , so let's start with where their not? Two or three FOW not yet. Badly stained water hard to fish , low visibility. In the mouths of the Creeks in 25-9' FOW on structure of some kind , with elevation changes close by is a good place to start. These are just my opinions and worth just what you paid for them. Best of luck!

Re: Afternoon bite okay for Crappie on Lavon? [Re: Brocephus] #11903022 10/27/16 04:07 PM
B
Brocephus Offline OP
Angler
OP Offline
Angler
B
Okay, going to focus on timber near drop offs, deep water, points, and creek beds. And still gonna try that doc shooting. May take a bass rod or two to see if I can deep crank up a couple.

It is far easier to fool people than to convince them they have been fooled - Mark Twain
Re: Afternoon bite okay for Crappie on Lavon? [Re: Brocephus] #11903340 10/27/16 06:48 PM
H
Hancock's Guide Service Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
H
16-25' water on brush, ledges, rocks and drop offs.

Mid lake and south. Fish are moving towards wimter pattern.

Jerry
214-544-3678
Hancocksguideservice.com
https://www.facebook.com/Hancocksguideservice
2016 CAT Division 1
State Champion
Mr.Crappie Pro Team
Re: Afternoon bite okay for Crappie on Lavon? [Re: Hancock's Guide Service] #11904119 10/28/16 01:38 AM
B
Brocephus Offline OP
Angler
OP Offline
Angler
B
Well I must be the world's worst crappie fisherman. Fished from about 2:45 pm to almost 7 pm, not. even. a. single. thump. Not one. No crappie, whatsoever.

I caught one 10 inch LMB and two dink sandbass. That was it.

Fished timber near Brockdale from 8 to 22 fow, used jigs, road-runners, live minnows.... and no bites. Fished the boat slips between Collin and Brockdale, fished the area north of Clear Lake park.... didn't make it up to Tickey Creek... maybe that's where they are? I didn't find any brush deeper than 22, maybe that was the problem?

I'm so frustrated. Not sure if I should try again tomorrow or give it up alltogether....

Re: Afternoon bite okay for Crappie on Lavon? [Re: Brocephus] #11904171 10/28/16 01:57 AM
K
Ken Gaby Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
K
Before I'd give up, I'd contact Jerry Hancock for a half day trip and shorten your learning curve tremendously.

A life without God is like an unsharpened pencil, it has no point. Billy Graham
www.thermoclinelures.com "Helping YOU catch MORE & LARGER fish!"
http://www.crazyanglertackle.com Premium crappie baits and jig tying accessories
http://www.proanglertackle.com Best crappie and catfish rods/reels
http://www.beereadys.com World's Best Rod Holders
Re: Afternoon bite okay for Crappie on Lavon? [Re: Brocephus] #11904180 10/28/16 02:01 AM
B
Brocephus Offline OP
Angler
OP Offline
Angler
B
Yea, that's one way to do it.... I think I'm going again tomorrow. Don't start back to work until Monday...

or should I go chase bass or hybrids on another lake? Hmm.....

Re: Afternoon bite okay for Crappie on Lavon? [Re: Brocephus] #11904289 10/28/16 02:49 AM
H
HOGON Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
H
Brocephus,

I highly recommend a 1/2 or even a Full Day Trip with Jerry Hancock on Lavon.

Tuesday he put 75 in the boat between 8am and 12pm...that's 4 hours.

I saw the pictures and booked a spur of the moment trip with him Wednesday morning for a 1/2 Day.
I have a boat, I know how to Crappie Fish. I know where to find Crappie.

Jerry just took 2nd place in the State Championship on Lewisville two weeks ago.

I am not too proud and I figured why not go out with a Professional and learn something new.

I am a sponge and I always learn something daily about Crappie Fishing that I did not know yesterday.

We dropped our line in the water at 8AM and we were done at 10AM with 50 Crappie a two man limit and that was yesterday.

Today my Father and Mother wanted to go and I slipped out to fish from 8AM until NOON.
The bite was a little slower, but we managed 39 keepers.

I saw Jerry at the ramp and he limited out with his morning trip again.

The money I spent going out with Jerry and the knowledge that I gained on Wednesday just made me a better Crappie Fisherman than I was on Tuesday.

I see where Jerry even replied to you above telling you exactly what the Crappie are doing.

I highly recommend a guided trip with Jerry Hancock and as Ken Gaby stated you can shorten your learning curve tremendously.

Good Luck!! fish

ACC CRAPPIE STIX
BONEHEAD TACKLE
LEWS REELS
PEPOPS JIGS
FEARLESS JIGS
BUBBAS BAITS
MAD CRAPPIE JIGS
DANS JIGS
CRAZY ANGLER TACKLE
THERMOCLINE LURES
CONSTANT PURSUIT OUTFITTERS
MR CRAPPIE
POWER PRO SUPER SLICK BRAID
BERKLEY VANISH GOLD/TRANSITION
LIFT SAVER TROLLING MOTOR MOUNT
SHUT UP AND FISH
SLAB SYNDICATE JIGS
THUMPER ELITE OUTFITTERS
Re: Afternoon bite okay for Crappie on Lavon? [Re: Brocephus] #11905556 10/28/16 08:42 PM
G
Gmann Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
G
Slipped out yesterday afternoon, on the water around 3 (stupid traffic). First three spots produced one keeper. Finally made it over to another and proceeded to just wear them out. Only kept 23, but probably threw back another 40. It was either a dinkasaurus or nice plump 11-13" keepers. Made for the last couple of hours of the afternoon very enjoyable.

Re: Afternoon bite okay for Crappie on Lavon? [Re: Brocephus] #11905749 10/28/16 10:46 PM
B
Brocephus Offline OP
Angler
OP Offline
Angler
B
I'm glad you did well Gmann....

I decided to go to Lewisville today to try for sandies, hybrids, and some crappie. I haven't had two more lousy days of fishing, in such nice weather, in as long as I can remember..... UGH! I'm giving up for awhile! I guess I should have headed back to Lavon and tried the spots I didn't hit yesterday.... I must have brought some bad karma on myself....

Re: Afternoon bite okay for Crappie on Lavon? [Re: HOGON] #11905775 10/28/16 11:00 PM
F
fishinman Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
F
Originally Posted By: HOGON
Brocephus,

I highly recommend a 1/2 or even a Full Day Trip with Jerry Hancock on Lavon.

Tuesday he put 75 in the boat between 8am and 12pm...that's 4 hours.

I saw the pictures and booked a spur of the moment trip with him Wednesday morning for a 1/2 Day.
I have a boat, I know how to Crappie Fish. I know where to find Crappie.

Jerry just took 2nd place in the State Championship on Lewisville two weeks ago.

I am not too proud and I figured why not go out with a Professional and learn something new.

I am a sponge and I always learn something daily about Crappie Fishing that I did not know yesterday.

We dropped our line in the water at 8AM and we were done at 10AM with 50 Crappie a two man limit and that was yesterday.

Today my Father and Mother wanted to go and I slipped out to fish from 8AM until NOON.
The bite was a little slower, but we managed 39 keepers.

I saw Jerry at the ramp and he limited out with his morning trip again.

The money I spent going out with Jerry and the knowledge that I gained on Wednesday just made me a better Crappie Fisherman than I was on Tuesday.

I see where Jerry even replied to you above telling you exactly what the Crappie are doing.

I highly recommend a guided trip with Jerry Hancock and as Ken Gaby stated you can shorten your learning curve tremendously.

Good Luck!! fish

Nice catch...Jerry is a good one...
And he did WIN the state championship!

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide