Print Thread
How does Seawolf look for kids and flounder #11901512 10/26/16 09:23 PM
S
Sponxx Offline OP
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
S
After a long break without fishing I may be able to sneak out this weekend. My 7 and 5yo are really wanting to catch flounder, but the reality is that any action will keep them entertained. the boy (7) has more patience and been around more the 5yo girl may get dissapointed faster, but still willing to try.
Is SWP a good plan? never been there though, but heard about it.
Other options safe for kids?

Thanks a lot

Re: How does Seawolf look for kids and flounder [Re: Sponxx] #11901699 10/26/16 10:48 PM
S
smooth move Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
S
grandson fished both sides of seawolf last thurs with no results. the dyke might be a better choice for the kids.

es le bon ton roulet
Re: How does Seawolf look for kids and flounder [Re: Sponxx] #11901958 10/27/16 12:58 AM
W
walthend1 Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
W
SWP is crowded shoulder to shoulder on weekends, especially this time of year, but the flounder are definitely there. Right now most are dinks but there's some keepers being caught mixed in. Went last weekend caught 5 flounder, 1 keeper. Idk if I would take a 5 y/o girl to TCD those rocked could be dangerous at times.

Re: How does Seawolf look for kids and flounder [Re: Sponxx] #11902482 10/27/16 09:20 AM
K
kickingback Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
K
walt is correct about little ones being at SWP. Go to YouTube and search flounder and sea wolf park and you will find videos recently where they were catching flounder at SWP. The best spot to fish on the bank is either the pier on the right side right at the front of the pier by the rocks or on the bank next to the pier on the rocks int he same area. The flounder gorge on the bait fish from the night lights and sit there most of the day. Throw out a tandem rig with 1/4 or 1/8 oz jig heads with Berkley Gulp shrimp or swimming mullet and slowly drag it back to you after casting giving the rod a quick jerk every turn of the reel.
Get there early (before sun up) as that spot gets crowded fast. You cannot fish off the bank in the dark there (rules) but right at sun up you can set up and start fishing there. If you get there before sun up is best as people are there waiting for that spot at times. Go during the week and you have a better chance at that spot. If you don't get that spot you can fish anywhere on the rocks from the pier back to the parking lot. Flounder are always there.
Good luck.

USAF Retired and Fishing!
Re: How does Seawolf look for kids and flounder [Re: Sponxx] #11905562 10/28/16 08:46 PM
S
Sponxx Offline OP
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
S
Thanks for the info. I expect it to be crowded, but it's the only time we can do it, so at least will give it a shot. in 3 or 4 week I may be able to sneak on a weekday and get in better position. I've waded with the older in an inflatable boat, so that can be an option too if the rocks are crowded.

Re: How does Seawolf look for kids and flounder [Re: Sponxx] #11905613 10/28/16 09:29 PM
S
Spec Chaser Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
S
Hey Sponxx,

SWP is always crowded especially on the weekends. I've been fishing at SWP for many years; however, I haven't been there for the last couple of years due to back injuries. Even though it's crowded, there are always space around the park to catch flounder. People usually stacked up at the beginning of the pier and the rocks to the right and left of the pier. Rightly so, a lot of flounders are stacked up around those points, but people are really rude w/o any courtesy or etiquette. Usually we stay away from the crowded spots where there may be arguments and/or altercations amongst people fishing those spots. Fishing should be fun and don't want my children to see that.

Regarding fishing, I've found that you can catch flounders on a tandem rig with 1/16 oz. jig head hook with a 3" Gulp penny shrimp and a treble hook with a live shrimp or live mullet trailing about 18" behind. You may want to bring extra tackle since there are a lot of rocks and hang-ups but usually with lighter tackle you get less hang-ups on the rocks.

I will be taking my girls (12 & 10) to SWP tomorrow as well. There always room to fish along the channel even though it may be crowded. I've heard that big croakers are running so my girls are excited about that. Often you will catch 2 or 3 at a time if you have 2 or 3 hooks on your lines.

Good luck and tight lines!

Re: How does Seawolf look for kids and flounder [Re: Sponxx] #11906071 10/29/16 02:55 AM
S
Sponxx Offline OP
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
S
Specs Thanks for the info! Sent you a pm.
Will be there early afternoon, as son has a soccer game until noon. Hopefully we can find a spot somewhere, they've been dying to get a flounder, so as long as they are entertained I'm ok. Woulnd't mind hooking up on a doormat one though smile
Planning on gulp shrimp and curly tails, pink, red, white/chart, penny, chart. Soemthing should bite

Last edited by Sponxx; 10/29/16 02:55 AM.
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide