Print Thread
Fishing very slow/still water #11899006 10/25/16 06:06 PM
G
GigTheFish Offline OP
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
G
I recently found a nice stream that looks very "Fishy". However, I've been there twice and got skunked both times. The stream has a little dam that lets some deep water build up. The deep part of the stream is very slow moving, almost still water. It is full of dead leaves floating on the top that don't move around much. Any advice on what kind of lures to use at a place like this? I tried Wacky rigged senkos, texas rigged senkos & crawfish as well as broken minnows running just below the surface. No luck with any of those. Not even a bite! I would usually catch a couple of fish with those lures even at heavily fished places like Bethany Lakes. I was thinking of trying some rooster tails or other spinner bait next time, hoping the extra action would lure some fish. Anyone have other suggestions?

Btw, I'm sure there are some fish in there because when I tried the other side of the dam, I caught 3 decent fish in about 20 minutes. There is only a small pool there though so those were probably the only fish there. I figure they must have washed over the dam during a rain and have been hanging out in that pool ever since. It makes me think there are probably nice-sized fish on the deep side of the dam.

Re: Fishing very slow/still water [Re: GigTheFish] #11899031 10/25/16 06:31 PM
R
Resh Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
R
Sounds like you have the right idea, usually in still water especially if its clear you either need to go small and super natural, or something fast to try and get a reaction bite. More creek experts out there than me but iv'e noticed if you see the fish the fish see you, and if they have too long to inspect your lure, they probably aren't eating it. Good luck!

There are no fish in sonic pond EDIT: Except 1 20lb catfish
Re: Fishing very slow/still water [Re: GigTheFish] #11899148 10/25/16 07:27 PM
JJ4MEL Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
You have the right idea by downsizing. Go down to a rooster tail, grubb, road runner, etc. Go real small. Once you catch something, then you understand the pattern. Catching bluegill, then you go with bluegill patterns. Sunfish, crappie, etc. When I am new to a particular pond, the first legal size fish I catch I try to empty out the stomach contents. Find minnows? Crawfish claws? small sunfish? Match it up.

Re: Fishing very slow/still water [Re: GigTheFish] #11899167 10/25/16 07:41 PM
T
TxPacker4 Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
T
Had some more time, so I figured I'd add to my post...

Start where you see the "obvious" hiding places. < polarized glasses. Gotta have them. Find a shallow hole, flip some rocks, throw a cast net (BE NICE!), throw some rocks, etc... get an idea what's in there/what they're eating. Match the hatch. If there's a bunch of sunfish, throw sunfish imitations. Crawfish, same thing. Nothing wants a piece of those, downsize. What minnows/smaller bait are swimming in there? Red shiners? Throw something that mimics a red shiner. Small rapalas are awesome, but expensive. You can lose $40-$50 easy in a day. That's why I like throwing a jig and bobber with an albino(pattern,not white)zoom or lunker city tiny fluke. 20 or so in a pack for the same or less than 1 Rapala. Usually 1/16th jighead. Small peggable float. Cast, and TINY twitches. Only want it to scoot maybe an inch. 1,2 pause. 1,2,3 pause and so on. Don't go too fast. What helps me get the right retrieve, retrieve as slow as you can possibly stand, and then go a little bit slower. Keep you slack picked up or you will miss a ton of bites. Sometimes all you get it is a little twitch, and it'll never go under. Stick close to cover. Don't wear crazy colors. Where colors to match your surroundings. Don't be afraid to break out the hunting camo. Don't let your shadow hit the water. Fish the shade. Most creeks around here are really clear, so fluorocarbon really helps. Go with the absolute lightest line you're comfortable with using. Lighter the line, the less visible it is. If you spend some time actually getting to know your waters, you'll always be able to catch a fish ANYWHERE. Go pull some fish out of there now, and post some pics dude. thumb

Last edited by TxPacker4; 10/26/16 12:17 AM. Reason: More info!

Cody Waddle
Licensed Fishing Guide
texasoklahomafishingguides.com
Re: Fishing very slow/still water [Re: GigTheFish] #11899309 10/25/16 09:07 PM
E
erittmueller Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
E
I had the exact same situation with the creek behind my apartment. Even spent a whole day kayaking it once and it was tough bass fishing. Found that I needed 1/8 oz rooster tails, baby brush hogs around wood and rocks, and the big mega ultra champion was SMALL CRAW JIGS! The 1/4oz jig and pig absolutely killed in that creek. The bass tended to stick EXTRA TIGHT to cover except at morning and evening (and assuming night). Look for thick spots of wood, lots of rocks, etc. If there is a wood pile, fallen tree, debris pile, etc that they can get underneath then start there.

Eric

Re: Fishing very slow/still water [Re: GigTheFish] #11901390 10/26/16 08:19 PM
T
TxPacker4 Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
T
And if nothing in my previous post works, Live bait.

Cody Waddle
Licensed Fishing Guide
Re: Fishing very slow/still water [Re: GigTheFish] #11901585 10/26/16 09:52 PM
D
Double K Outdoors Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
D
I live in Allen and know most of the places to fish very well. Any of the creeks that I've been to I've had to use natural looking colors. They don't fall for the bubble gum pink fluke often. Like some of the other posts have mentioned, you have to locate them in the cover or where they are staging. Current can make a huge difference in the bite too. I rarely will fish where water is leaving the creek, but I will fish the heck out of where the water is coming in. Bass love the extra oxygen in the water and will be found there.
Downsize, downsize downsize. All of the creeks that I fish, do not throw anything close to what I would at the lakes. My Texas rigged worms only use a 1/8 ounce weight. Sometimes I'll take it up to 1/4. When I throw senkos, it's never bigger than 4 inches. If I've throwing a crank bait, it's the 1/4 ounce ones. I've been catching some in Allen in the creeks on swim baits that are 3.5 inches. Not the biggest and not always easy to cast, but can be worth it in the end.

(Caught on a bait that was only 2.5 inches long)

~You won't catch any fish if you don't try!
[Linked Image]

Re: Fishing very slow/still water [Re: GigTheFish] #11902366 10/27/16 03:38 AM
G
GigTheFish Offline OP
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
G
I was able to get out there today and had more luck. Like most of you suggested, I casted closer to cover. The kicker though was just finding out where the fish were. Once I found a school of sunfish hanging out by a bridge I knew there would be some bass in there. I only had about 45 minutes to fish (had to get back to work) but caught 4 fish total. Two of them were fairly nice ~2.5lbers. I had one bigger one hooked but he kicked the hook after a good fight. It was a great way to spend my lunch break! banana

The lure that worked the best was a black lizard texas rigged with 1/8 weight. They completely ignored the senkos. I didn't try any jigs but I picked some up tonight and I'll try them next time. I lost several lizards in the cover they were hiding in as it is THICK so I'm hoping the jigs will come out of it better.

Last edited by GigTheFish; 10/27/16 04:23 AM.
Re: Fishing very slow/still water [Re: GigTheFish] #11903433 10/27/16 07:43 PM
D
Double K Outdoors Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
D
coolphotos
thumb

~You won't catch any fish if you don't try!
[Linked Image]

Re: Fishing very slow/still water [Re: GigTheFish] #11903479 10/27/16 07:57 PM
T
TxPacker4 Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
T
Pretty fish.

Cody Waddle
Licensed Fishing Guide
Re: Fishing very slow/still water [Re: GigTheFish] #11903819 10/27/16 11:02 PM
E
erittmueller Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
E
Also definitely try those soft plastics but weightless. I've never once put a weight on my tx rigs when in the creek. That will definitely cut down on the snags. Also, some creeks will produce fish off of weird color worms, some wont. One of mine has produces more on bubble gum swirl (pink and yellow) than all other colors combined when I tested them, but then if you go below the dam I've never caught a single bass on weird colors but they are not at all picky with any natural colors or red...

When you catch some, stick with what works and if you feel like experimenting then go for it.

Eric

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide