Dec 30th, 2023
Print Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
High School Boat Captain Etiquitte Question #11898508 10/25/16 01:31 PM
C130 Offline OP
Pro Angler
OP Offline
Pro Angler
I'd like to get some opinions from those that have been high school boat captains for a while. I have a kid that I am taking out to fish all of the tournaments along with my son. The first tournament he complained because he had to get up too early and then we sat for a while before it got daylight. He didn't seem to get the point of launching early. He also forgot all of his tackle so my wife had to get out of bed and bring it to the marina. This was well after we launched so I went back to pick it up. I also had him stay the night with us in our RV, took him to dinner, packed his lunch, paid for everything without a single "thank you". That's fine and is not the issue, I'm glad to do it.

So, now I gave the kid and his parents a "meet time" at the marina for our next tournament and their reply was they'd have him there an hour and fifteen minutes past the time I gave them. I explained to them the time we were launching and then the mom stated I'd be leaving her son and they would be very upset. I told the mom I would not be at the marina at the time they stated they'd be arriving because we wanted to get to our fishing spot so the kids could start fishng at the designated time. I don't really think I should have to go back to the marina and pick their son up so they can sleep in.

Any opinions on how to handle this? This is about the kids and I want them to enjoy themselves but I find this totally unacceptable. My wife and I run the club and have been shocked at the behavior of a couple of the parents. I knew there would be issues going in and organizing the club but kinda shocked at this point. It's the typical 10% of the people causing 90% of the issues.

Bass Cat Eyra
Moritz Chevrolet - 9101 Camp Bowie W Blvd, Fort Worth, TX - Monte Coon (817) 696-2003
Re: High School Boat Captain Etiquitte Question [Re: C130] #11898520 10/25/16 01:38 PM
fouzman Offline
Methuselah
Methuselah
I'd tell the parents if they can't have him there on time, don't bring him at all. But I've not captained any HS anglers in a tournament.

"Things turn out best for those who make the best of the way things turn out" - Zachary Troy Schrah - a young man with vision far beyond his years.
Re: High School Boat Captain Etiquitte Question [Re: C130] #11898527 10/25/16 01:43 PM
S
SoCal Tom Online Content
TFF Guru
Online Content
TFF Guru
S
Sounds like the kid and parents don't quite understand how fishing works. I would have the coach have a talk with them and if they do not want to adhere to the rules as the CAPTAIN has stated them, your son will either be fishing solo or with a new partner. I think this may be a more common occurence until you get it down to the kids who really get it and want to be out there

Last edited by SoCal Tom; 10/25/16 01:45 PM.

[Linked Image] [Linked Image]

http://www.rayhubbardbassclub.com
President

Save the Date! 9th annual FFAC - Sunday October 27th, 2024 - Lake Ray Hubbard!
Re: High School Boat Captain Etiquitte Question [Re: fouzman] #11898533 10/25/16 01:49 PM
C130 Offline OP
Pro Angler
OP Offline
Pro Angler
Originally Posted By: fouzman
I'd tell the parents if they can't have him there on time, don't bring him at all. But I've not captained any HS anglers in a tournament.

That's my personal opinion also, just trying to do what's right for the kids. I couldn't believe their response when my son told him what time to meet us. Then the mom contacted me telling me what time they'd have him there. I told her we'd not be coming back to the marina anytime soon after we got to our spot. All of the other kids show up when their boat captain says to show up with no issues, it's just my sons partner.

Bass Cat Eyra
Re: High School Boat Captain Etiquitte Question [Re: SoCal Tom] #11898538 10/25/16 01:54 PM
C130 Offline OP
Pro Angler
OP Offline
Pro Angler
Originally Posted By: SoCal Tom
Sounds like the kid and parents don't quite understand how fishing works. I would have the coach have a talk with them and if they do not want to adhere to the rules as the CAPTAIN has stated them, your son will either be fishing solo or with a new partner. I think this may be a more common occurence until you get it down to the kids who really get it and want to be out there

Thanks, I am also the coach and I explained all of this to them from day one. Same kid used my rods and my sons rods and lures without asking and then told him he wasn't replacing the lures he lost. Money is definitely not an issue with this kid, far from it. My son pays for his own fishing gear from mowing yards. I have made all of the rules and proper etiquette very clear.

Bass Cat Eyra
Re: High School Boat Captain Etiquitte Question [Re: C130] #11898565 10/25/16 02:09 PM
C
ClintYeager Offline
Green Horn
Green Horn
C
This is my 3rd year to captain for my son in THSBA and fortunately both of my son's partners & their parents understood the financial responsibility as well as the time invested in showing these young girls/boys our passion. I would not hesitate explaining to the young man and his parents exactly what you and your son have invested and what sacrifices y'all make to increase your odds of success for the sport. Your son can continue fishing alone and not loose his acquired points for the tournaments he has fished (this is the captain's decision), but he will loose those points if he decides to go with another partner and have to start over in the overall standings. Being on a boat for 10 plus hours can be taxing (especially if the fish are not biting) for you and your son if respect and gratitude are lacking. Hope all finishes well for you guys.

Re: High School Boat Captain Etiquitte Question [Re: C130] #11898582 10/25/16 02:18 PM
C130 Offline OP
Pro Angler
OP Offline
Pro Angler
Thank you, I tried explaining this to the mom last night. My son went out and pre fished the lake twice. My son went a third time also with a friend and another boat captain in our club since I had to work. He's gotten up at 4 am for three weekends so they could increase their odds of success. I'm very happy to do this and just I think his partner should show up at our designated time.

Clint, thanks for being a boat captain. I'm new to all of this but have seen the dedication the volunteer boat captains make and the kids excitement. Nothing better than watching these kids weigh in their fish and the smiles and excitement.

Last edited by C130; 10/25/16 02:21 PM.

Bass Cat Eyra
Re: High School Boat Captain Etiquitte Question [Re: C130] #11898588 10/25/16 02:22 PM
J
Jigfish Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
J
This is my 5th year being a captain and hate to hear what your having to deal with. Your going to have to be straight with them. Tell them this is how fishing is. Explain to them that the morning bite is so important and by the time they get there it's to late. Maybe use a positive. Have a partner that if he doesn't catch fish in the 1st 15min of the day he was done.(LOL). Or just tell them to find another captain. Your messing up your own kids fishing day. It's your boat

Thanks,

The weak call it obsession, the strong call it dedication!
Jigfish

Re: High School Boat Captain Etiquitte Question [Re: C130] #11898640 10/25/16 02:49 PM
C
ChampionDon (SkeeterDon) Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
C
In order to do what is right for the kids, they too have to make sacrifices. You are doing everything you can. Sounds to me like he really does not want to be there, if he did then he would not be complaining. You cannot lead a horse to water and make them drink. You are the captain and you make the rules and guidelines. You are there to help teach them fishing and common courtesy and etiquette. This behavior is a direct result of the parents participation in their upbringing.

My motto has been and always will be, the bus leaves at this time, if you are not there, then I am gone. It is not my job to call you and wake you up. If you want to be there, then you will be there. If you are not, then I will leave with out you and everyone knows my rule. I do not budge from my rule, except for with my mom and dad, they are the exception, because I fish with both of them.

2011 BassChamps East Region Champions-Lake Sam Rayburn Oct 1-2
Central Texas Realtor, Helping People Buy/Sell Their Home, Give Me A Call.
2020 Bullet 21XRS 2020 Mercury 250 ProXS
www.powertackle.com
www.swaggertackle.com
www.hogfarmberbaits.com
www.honestac.com
www.whortonins.com
Donnie C. O'Neal - 512-431-5977

Re: High School Boat Captain Etiquitte Question [Re: C130] #11898652 10/25/16 02:57 PM
U
UTDmiller Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
U
Seems like you already know what you should do next. You did everything you could and i think you met and exceeded the expectations of a coach. Inform them if they cant follow the rules they need to find a new boat captain or that maybe tournament fishing is not for them. TBH the kid sounds spoiled, i could never fathom telling someone i wouldnt replace their lures if i broke them off.

Last edited by UTDmiller; 10/25/16 02:58 PM.

John Miller
Re: High School Boat Captain Etiquitte Question [Re: UTDmiller] #11898692 10/25/16 03:12 PM
B
bassmanrudy Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
B
Originally Posted By: UTDmiller
Seems like you already know what you should do next. You did everything you could and i think you met and exceeded the expectations of a coach. Inform them if they cant follow the rules they need to find a new boat captain or that maybe tournament fishing is not for them. TBH the kid sounds spoiled, i could never fathom telling someone i wouldnt replace their lures if i broke them off.

^^^ EXACTLY!!!!! Spoiled, entitled, lazy... all words that seem to describe this kid perfectly. Your son shouldn't have to "lose fishing time" to accommodate anyone! And to think that he uses and loses stuff and DOESN'T PAY FOR IT?????? Yep he wouldn't EVER fish out of my boat again!!

Re: High School Boat Captain Etiquitte Question [Re: C130] #11898696 10/25/16 03:14 PM
C130 Offline OP
Pro Angler
OP Offline
Pro Angler
Thanks everyone, the parent just sent me a very nasty email and their son sent my son a text stating he quit. Very unfortunate but I'm not surprised. Too many parents don't think their kid should follow any rules but it's not the kids fault, it's the parents. The kids dad has a fishng boat but wouldn't volunteer to be a boat captain for a single tournament because he was too busy. I hate the drama but we have to have rules and it's just part of it I guess. My son wanted to meet at 0500 and go launch to get to his favorite spot so I figured we might get there by 0530-0545. First cast is at 0700 and I'd rather beat the crowd.

Bass Cat Eyra
Re: High School Boat Captain Etiquitte Question [Re: C130] #11898702 10/25/16 03:16 PM
D
Douglas J Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
D
Sounds like the kid is being raised to not do anything he doesn't want to do and everyone should accommodate him and his schedule.

I would probably just tell the parents that their and his attitude and schedules do not fit with what you think is best for the kids. Cut your losses and continue to set a fine example for your son about making the sacrifices, being prompt and being prepared to fish in tournaments.

That's the "nice" version, you could just tell them to "pound sand"...

#MFGA
Re: High School Boat Captain Etiquitte Question [Re: C130] #11898716 10/25/16 03:25 PM
Curtbass Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
Show them the responses you got on here from some VERY experienced anglers. Or don't.
Personally I'd just move on & not lose any sleep over it. You've apparently already gone above & beyond the commitment & effort to do what you've done. Enjoy the REST of the tournaments with your son & we send good luck wishes to him for success.

ELITE POWER SYSTEMS/ Elite Fishing Products
Lithium Battery & Charging Systems, Soft Plastics, Tackle,Tokyo Rigs
Tight lines & stay safe out there.Gods blessings
Re: High School Boat Captain Etiquitte Question [Re: C130] #11898723 10/25/16 03:28 PM
Hoghunter36 Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
Tell a football coach your not going to be there at the time he says (or any other coach related to high school and see what happens)

It's time for him to be benched!!

I have been a captain since the beginning and so far I have had nothing but great experiences.
My kids clean the boat for me bring lunch they're own tackle and they're parents are great they pay for boat gas and truck gas .

I would absolutely not mind helping a child out that couldn't afford things if he was serious about fishing and wanted to get on the water. But it sounds like your team member expects it as well as his parents and that would not and should not fly.

I expect that you would not have any other boat captain blame you for sending this kid and his parents down the road if they can not do what is expected. They're are to many serious young anglers setting at home that would love to be out fishing.

You need to make sure that they know that although this is high school fishing the high schools do not hand out state money to the teams or captains everything is paid by the parents , boat captains, or sponsors!

By the way thank you for doing what you do! I am just a boat captain and its takes up plenty of time I couldn't imagine coaching a whole team I know there is plenty to be done at that position!

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide