Forums59
Topics1,039,187
Posts13,960,597
Members144,194
Most Online39,925
Dec 30th, 2023
Print Thread
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Re: High School Boat Captain Etiquitte Question [Re: C130] #11899228 10/25/16 08:19 PM
W
WAWI Online Content
TFF Guru
Online Content
TFF Guru
W
The kids I captain have been great, I do let them use my stuff and don't expect them to replace it, that's just me. That said I do think it needs to be clarified that this is a competitive thing, not a day on the lake. I don't cut my teams much slack, to the point I feel a little bad but when they quit having weigh ins I'll quit pushing them. I assume the kid is your sons partner? Change partners. Problem solved. There is a difference between making it about the kids and treating the kids like special snowflakes.

Moritz Chevrolet - 9101 Camp Bowie W Blvd, Fort Worth, TX - Monte Coon (817) 696-2003
Re: High School Boat Captain Etiquitte Question [Re: C130] #11899278 10/25/16 08:48 PM
C130 Offline OP
Pro Angler
OP Offline
Pro Angler
I stayed out of the replacing the tackle issue. I told my son he was 15 and that was between his partner and him. My son did not mention it after the first tournament, at least that I know of. No kid will be excluded from fishing in our club due to money, I'll pay for it myself if I have to. I'm certainly not rich but I've been blessed so far in life. I have yet to take one penny from our clubs funds so far because I want it to succeed and I've been paying for stuff myself until we get more sponsors. We just had a parent set the club up as a "non profit" and we got our EIN so we are doing it correctly I think.

I think we are better off now. I just got the F you from the mom in an email. She's a school teacher also, what an example. We have a great bunch of kids and parents who are very grateful so it's just a bump in the road but overall an improvement for our club I think.

Last edited by C130; 10/25/16 08:51 PM.

Bass Cat Eyra
Re: High School Boat Captain Etiquitte Question [Re: C130] #11899322 10/25/16 09:13 PM
T
Txduckhunter Online Content
Extreme Angler
Online Content
Extreme Angler
T
Originally Posted By: C130
The meet time was 0500, my son told him I'd meet them and pick him up at 5 at the gate. I figured by time we did that and went to the ramp and launched, parked, it would be around 0530. My son wanted to be at the spot by 0600. I told him I'd leave at whatever time they wanted to. 0300, 0400, 0500 whatever they wanted. My son discussed this with his partner a couple of weeks ago.

Of course there's more to the story and two sides to every story. First tournament he borrowed lures, rods and reels, tungsten weights, etc. My son asked him to replace the stuff he lost and the kid replied, " I'm
on a budget" and he never replaced the items he lost. My son told him he was on a budget also and had bought all of the stuff himself by mowing yards all summer. My son told him to meet us at 0500, he told my son he'd be there around 0600. Maybe I'm wrong but I'm one to be early. I'm 48 but I was raised if you're not 10- 15 early, you're late. I'm prior military so I' believe in being on time and respectful and following rules. I didn't think picking him up at 0500, hopefully on the water at 0530 was too early. My son was determined to be at the spot he wants by 0600. Same kid was upset launching at 0530 before though there were several boats there at the same time we were. My thoughts, launch early and avoid the lines or launch later and sit in line. Thanks for the opinions and suggestions. I knew a lot of you had been doing this for a while so wanted some opinions. This is about the kids and I hate drama but also need rules to be followed.

Couple of things come to mind.... You did your part, end of story. YOUR boat, your rules - it's not up for discussion. I think you went above and beyond with tolerance in this instance, good for you.
Your son just learned a very valuable life lesson - good fishing partners are extremely hard to find. Don't waste your time with a bad one.
As my granddaughter sings......."let it go".

Re: High School Boat Captain Etiquitte Question [Re: C130] #11899364 10/25/16 09:38 PM
B
Banker Fisherman Offline
Angler
Angler
B
Originally Posted By: C130
We just had a parent set the club up as a "non profit" and we got our EIN so we are doing it correctly I think.

That is a good start when you want to start bringing in big sponsors. When a company sponsors a team, they consider it a tax write off. One way they are able to claim this is when the team they sponsor is set up correctly, and especially when it is non-profit. Have the team set up a bank account in the name of the club as non-profit. Every bank will be different when it comes to types of accounts and fees on those accounts for non-profits. Just check with your local bank, or one that your comfortable with about non-profit checking accounts. Some banks waive the monthly service fee for non-profits, while others will not waive it, but will have certain requirements that can be met to avoid the service fee.

It may sound like a big deal for having a bank account right now, but it will definately help in the long run and can help with sponors as well as make parents feel more secure in the club.

[Linked Image]
Re: High School Boat Captain Etiquitte Question [Re: Okie Poke] #11899369 10/25/16 09:40 PM
buda13 Online Happy
TFF Guru
Online Happy
TFF Guru
Originally Posted By: Okie Poke
See....everything seems to work out. You stuck to your guns and they made the decision to quit. The kid doesn't deserve to be a fisherman. Only good people are fishermen. Oh, I take that back....I know one that's ....never mind!

And I thought we were friends!! roflmao

Re: High School Boat Captain Etiquitte Question [Re: bassmanrudy] #11899373 10/25/16 09:43 PM
R
redskeeter190 Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
R
Originally Posted By: bassmanrudy
Originally Posted By: UTDmiller
Seems like you already know what you should do next. You did everything you could and i think you met and exceeded the expectations of a coach. Inform them if they cant follow the rules they need to find a new boat captain or that maybe tournament fishing is not for them. TBH the kid sounds spoiled, i could never fathom telling someone i wouldnt replace their lures if i broke them off.

^^^ EXACTLY!!!!! Spoiled, entitled, lazy... all words that seem to describe this kid perfectly. Your son shouldn't have to "lose fishing time" to accommodate anyone! And to think that he uses and loses stuff and DOESN'T PAY FOR IT?????? Yep he wouldn't EVER fish out of my boat again!!

you hit the nail right on the head......

Re: High School Boat Captain Etiquitte Question [Re: C130] #11899382 10/25/16 09:51 PM
T
toddfish Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
T
You're doing everything the right way in my opinion. Definitely better off now.

Re: High School Boat Captain Etiquitte Question [Re: C130] #11899418 10/25/16 10:17 PM
H
Hog Jaw Online Content
TFF Team Angler
Online Content
TFF Team Angler
H
Fishing and Tournament Fishing are not the same as you all know . A big H.S. Tournament was on Granbury past weekend , lots of high schoolers / captains passed in frt of my place , they all looked like they were bored or tired , one kid caught a fish , acted like it was his first time , two other boats nearby came over to the boat , all three were side by side for a while , then they followed each other down the opening of the creek , growing up we fished out of anything that floats , early am till late , not looking at phones , not talking and playing around . We wanted to fish and catch fish , with all the tournaments on TV it sure looks easy and Hollywood , just my opinion , not a lot of kids stay in bass fishing .

Re: High School Boat Captain Etiquitte Question [Re: C130] #11899453 10/25/16 10:44 PM
B
Bobby Milam Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
B
How did you feel when you were in HS? I know I felt more adult than child. Everyone needs to stop treating them like they are so fragile and make them learn responsibility. If you set a time then stick with it and he'll either learn next time or take the easy way out and quit like he did. His heart wasn't in it or he would have been waiting on you.

I don't do the boat captain thing but I do take the Grand kids out fishing. They know before hand, be up and ready to go or you don't go. I'm fishing for up to 8 hours whether they are biting or not. No complaining and asking to take them home early. Fishing isn't a right, it is a privilege. When they go, they are going to help prep the boat, get it ready for storage and probably help clean the garage or some other chore. Took them out once and they were bored in a couple of hours and I got tired of the whining so I took them home and said never again. When I finally took them back, they had an entire different outlook and saw that they needed to help, not just wait for a free ride. Now they are always begging for me to find time to take them.

Re: High School Boat Captain Etiquitte Question [Re: C130] #11899471 10/25/16 10:59 PM
C130 Offline OP
Pro Angler
OP Offline
Pro Angler
We are setting up the back account next. My wife tried before but we didn't have the necessary requirements so we did some more research and wanted to set it up as a non profit. We have a parent with a business so he volunteered to set it up. He also made a very generous donation. As stated by someone else I also think it'll be easier to get sponsors so they can write their donation off.

I don't baby my kids. They are spoiled I know but they are not treated like they are special. My son is very serious about fishing and determined to make it to the regional and state championship. We didn't do good the first tournament so he knows he needs to make up for it Saturday. I'm definitely not the best boat captain so I'm not a lot of help. He raced motocross for 8 years so he's got that competitiveness in him a little I guess. Motocross is definitely not for the babied.

Last edited by C130; 10/25/16 10:59 PM.

Bass Cat Eyra
Re: High School Boat Captain Etiquitte Question [Re: C130] #11899580 10/25/16 11:56 PM
S
SteezMacQueen Online Happy
TFF Guru
Online Happy
TFF Guru
S
I've been married to a teacher for almost 30 years. I can tell you that the parent/teacher you are dealing with is a rarity. Most teachers, and their children, fully understand the commitment required to accell at a high school level sport.

You did the MOSTLY correct thing. You should have explained to the kids what times your boat would arrive at the ramp and what time you would put them at their first spot. As a captain, you do not allow the kids to make those decisions between themselves. You may give them a choice of time frames....and let them vote. But....you set the rules. Every last one of them.

.....as for the other child's parents?!!!....Haha. This IS the type of "ENTITLED" brat kid that I said I do not have the patience to work with in a previous post concerning HS bass team stuff. The parents baby the [censored] out of the kids till they wind up being sissies their entire lives. They wind up bitching and voting for democrats. Haha. Asking for help from the government to exist.

Eat. Sleep. Fish.
Re: High School Boat Captain Etiquitte Question [Re: SteezMacQueen] #11899824 10/26/16 01:47 AM
C130 Offline OP
Pro Angler
OP Offline
Pro Angler
Originally Posted By: SteezMacQueen
I've been married to a teacher for almost 30 years. I can tell you that the parent/teacher you are dealing with is a rarity. Most teachers, and their children, fully understand the commitment required to accell at a high school level sport.

You did the MOSTLY correct thing. You should have explained to the kids what times your boat would arrive at the ramp and what time you would put them at their first spot. As a captain, you do not allow the kids to make those decisions between themselves. You may give them a choice of time frames....and let them vote. But....you set the rules. Every last one of them.

.....as for the other child's parents?!!!....Haha. This IS the type of "ENTITLED" brat kid that I said I do not have the patience to work with in a previous post concerning HS bass team stuff. The parents baby the [censored] out of the kids till they wind up being sissies their entire lives. They wind up bitching and voting for democrats. Haha. Asking for help from the government to exist.

Absolutely, teachers have my full respect and they have one tough but very important job. We have friends and family that are teachers and hear some of the stories. I teach and give lots of evaluations but in an airplane or simulator. Sometimes you just have to deal with people and issues when they arise. It isn't fun but it's part of my job. The parents are not doing the young man any favors but that is their business now. Thanks.

Bass Cat Eyra
Re: High School Boat Captain Etiquitte Question [Re: C130] #11899883 10/26/16 02:08 AM
J
jbcarroll3000 Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
J
It might be "all for the kids," but as all sports and activities should be--it's also about teaching kids teamwork, responsibility, how to win and lose graciously, and ultimately how to be a better member of society. This kid (and his parents) don't seem to be up to the task of these lessons. Continuing in any manner to cater to their ignorance would only be reinforcing in this kid's mind that what he's doing is appropriate and will work for him in life. As others have said, I would lay down strict guidelines for him pertaining to money, behavior, timeliness, etc., and if he can't get on board with what you have laid out, buh-bye.

Edit: just saw that he quit. Count your blessings.

Last edited by jbcarroll3000; 10/26/16 03:18 AM.
Re: High School Boat Captain Etiquitte Question [Re: C130] #11900287 10/26/16 10:58 AM
Badbassdad Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
I have been a boat captain this year for my son, and his partner has not been able to be fully involved because of football. for granbury we wanted to sit on our prime spot and we set a meeting time early enough to get out there, but we also invited him to stay in the hotel with us. the parents questioned the early start time and i simply said we had to get out first.. we bought the boat for the tournaments, we pay for all the gas, we share all of our tackle.... I always tell my son, dont give what you cant afford, if I couldnt afford to lose it i done offer it.

the experiences I have had with my son are PRICELESS I would give $1000000.00 to share these times for the rest of our lives. we are closer than most fathers and sons and I contribute that to that very elusive green slimy ten pounder we are jointly in search of!!

Thanks THSBA!!

Re: High School Boat Captain Etiquitte Question [Re: Badbassdad] #11900378 10/26/16 12:19 PM
S
SteezMacQueen Online Happy
TFF Guru
Online Happy
TFF Guru
S
Originally Posted By: Badbassdad
I have been a boat captain this year for my son, and his partner has not been able to be fully involved because of football. for granbury we wanted to sit on our prime spot and we set a meeting time early enough to get out there, but we also invited him to stay in the hotel with us. the parents questioned the early start time and i simply said we had to get out first.. we bought the boat for the tournaments, we pay for all the gas, we share all of our tackle.... I always tell my son, dont give what you cant afford, if I couldnt afford to lose it i done offer it.

the experiences I have had with my son are PRICELESS I would give $1000000.00 to share these times for the rest of our lives. we are closer than most fathers and sons and I contribute that to that very elusive green slimy ten pounder we are jointly in search of!!

Thanks THSBA!!

Awesome. I remember the days I fished with my dad. They are some of my fondest memories I have of him. He exuded immense patience. I know....I was an unmediated ADHD pain in the [censored] kid. He never got excited with me, even when I lost one of his brand new Abu 5000 combos to a fish.

Eat. Sleep. Fish.
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide