Print Thread
Windy weekend #11898085 10/25/16 02:03 AM
J
j_hirn2 Offline OP
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
J
I had to work Friday. There wasn't much wind at all.

I woke up Saturday morning and the wind wasn't too bad. However the forecast was for a windy day. The place on the pond I was fishing was on the north side and 10 minutes into the trip it was blowing 15 - 20 out of the south. The south end of the pond was a little protected so I went over to that side.

I only had luck with top waters, mainly a Dahlberg Diver. Also caught a couple on a muddler minnow before it soaked up water and started sinking. After a while the Dahlberg got waterlogged and would start sinking too. I could squeeze the water out with a rag and get it to float for a few minutes. Didn't have any luck with poppers. Stopped fishing early to watch some football.

After dinner hit the pond again. Fall really cuts into evening fishing. It's going to be really bad once daylight saving time goes away. But in about 20 minutes I caught a couple more.

Sunday was more of the same wind wise. More bass on the diver and muddler. I finally got tired of squeezing water out of them and put on a foam stealth drone. I fished the south bank and picked up a few and then hit a bank with the wind blowing crosswise into it. It dropped of deep pretty quickly with moss. I picked up my biggest bass of the weekend at 13 1/2".

I fished my 6 wt. I wanted to fish the 3 wt. but no way with the wind. Seems every weekend lately its the same thing.

I'm going to get something to keep my divers and muddler floating.

The tug is the drug
Re: Windy weekend [Re: j_hirn2] #11898207 10/25/16 02:58 AM
R
Robert Hunter Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
R
Ginks for the muddler minnow! Get a Mylar popper that is non-porous. I normally bow hunt for deer on Wednesday this time of year. I hear you on the wind though because it seems like we get wind out of every direction but the south until I get off Wednesday. then it's a hard Southwind and my stand can't really be adjusted to protect me from a Southwind and I have not been able to hunt. At least you still caught several nice bass!that heavier Rod will definitely help you chunk flies in the wind though.

[Linked Image] [Linked Image] [url=https://postimages.org/][img]https://i.postimg.cc/bsQJFvLj/
Re: Windy weekend [Re: j_hirn2] #11898767 10/25/16 03:54 PM
L
Linecaster Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
L
Nice bass in Jmoe.
I try to get on the south side of a pond if the wind is blowing from the south and let the wind carry the line.

In the beginning God created. Gen. 1:1
All things were made by him and without him was not anything made. John 1:3
Re: Windy weekend [Re: Linecaster] #11899903 10/26/16 02:15 AM
J
j_hirn2 Offline OP
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
J
I got off work a little early and we had sandwiches for dinner so I had some time to fish. My phone weather app said the wind was blowing 12 mph out of the southeast so I decided to take the 6 wt. again.

Got to the pond and it was dead calm. Should of taken the 3 wt.

Several people were fishing conventional bass stuff, soft plastics and 1 guy had a buzzbait. Nobody was catching.

I caught one small bass and had a couple of blowups on a Dahlberg diver.

I moved over to a shallow bank and hooked this 13".

Then I caught bass/green sunfish on about 5 straight casts.
Most of the bass in the pond are healthy and chunky if not too big, but this ne was scrawny.

I managed to lose a fly and I blame Robert(just kidding). I bought some gink and put it on a muddler minnow. I had it in my hand and dropped it while putting my old fly back in my box.
The darn thing fell right at my feet but when I went to pick it up I couldn't find it. The grass was maybe 1/2" tall. I looked for 15 minutes. It must of fallen into a time warp.

On the plus side I have been catching more fish than others out there. Not that I am a better fisherman, but the pond has got a lot of pressure from conventional tackle all spring and summer and I'm the only person fly fishing. I think the different presentation is a big plus.

The tug is the drug
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide