Print Thread
Packery Channel Jetty Fishing #11873145 10/10/16 12:19 PM
C
catchnrelease Offline OP
Extreme Angler
OP Offline
Extreme Angler
C
There is a lot of mullet in the channel. the tides were flowing fast. There were a lot of people bank fishing on both sides of the jetties. We fished the south jetty near the beach Saturday afternoon. No luck. Sunday morning we walked out and fished near the end of the south Jetty. there were alot of people fishing. We saw several Slot reds caught on mullet at the end of the jetty on the surf side. We saw a couple of black drum caught. one keeper and one oversized. We didn't catch any. But we enjoyed watching fish being caught. We left the Packery at 11am to drive back to Austin.

We didn't have any luck this time but, we will be back to try again. Maybe the bulls will be there by then.

tight lines.

Shut up and fish!
Re: Packery Channel Jetty Fishing [Re: catchnrelease] #11879062 10/13/16 07:17 PM
C
catchnrelease Offline OP
Extreme Angler
OP Offline
Extreme Angler
C
the Wifey and I are headed back this weekend. gonna fish the south jetty again. Any reports this week? anyone having any luck? Appreciate any info.

tight lines.

Shut up and fish!
Re: Packery Channel Jetty Fishing [Re: catchnrelease] #11879727 10/14/16 02:17 AM
W
Wadereel Offline
Green Horn
Green Horn
W
Shoreboundangler.com has a great blog/reports on that area

Re: Packery Channel Jetty Fishing [Re: catchnrelease] #11890965 10/20/16 06:39 PM
C
catchnrelease Offline OP
Extreme Angler
OP Offline
Extreme Angler
C
Well, the wife and I didn't get skunked this time. She caught a 23 inch slot red last Saturday and a 24 inch black drum on Sunday. both fish released. She used cut mullet for both. Saturday had a lot of mullet available early. Sunday the bigger mullet were there. the smaller mullet were hard to come by for me. we left around noon.

We saw a total of about 3 people with 3 slot reds each. Two Saturday, then one Sunday. the man on Sunday showed up about 10am and left around 11:30 with his three. He had the luck.

It looks like we will make another trip in a couple weeks. This time we are going during the week. the ends of these jetties get crowded with people fishing. a few lines were tangled to say the least. Maybe the weekday will be less crowded.

tight lines all!

Shut up and fish!
Re: Packery Channel Jetty Fishing [Re: catchnrelease] #11891029 10/20/16 07:05 PM
C
catchnrelease Offline OP
Extreme Angler
OP Offline
Extreme Angler
C
forgot the pics. LOL

Saturday

Sunday

Shut up and fish!
Re: Packery Channel Jetty Fishing [Re: catchnrelease] #11891155 10/20/16 08:12 PM
T
TreeBass Offline
Lt. Dan
Lt. Dan
T
nice pics and report thumb

[Linked Image]

My success in life is measured by the number of hunting
and fishing stories that my kids can share with others

Sure-Life Products
Dobyns Rods
Holding The Line Guide Service
www.facebook.com/texasfishingforum
Re: Packery Channel Jetty Fishing [Re: catchnrelease] #11891929 10/21/16 04:01 AM
banker-always fishing Online Content
Pumpkin Head
Online Content
Pumpkin Head
Solid post and solid fish. Good job. thumb

[Linked Image][Linked Image]

IGFA World Record Rio Grande Cichlid. Lake Dunlap.

John 3:16

Sinner's Prayer. God forgive me a sinner. I accept Jesus Christ as my Savior !
Re: Packery Channel Jetty Fishing [Re: catchnrelease] #11892151 10/21/16 01:01 PM
D
Dr. Erk Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
D
Good luck out there. I was in Port A last weekend but didn't get much of a chance to fish with my two year old in tow... In a couple of years though, the fish better watch out for us!

texas
Wishing I was in my kayak.
Re: Packery Channel Jetty Fishing [Re: catchnrelease] #11901497 10/26/16 09:13 PM
C
catchnrelease Offline OP
Extreme Angler
OP Offline
Extreme Angler
C
After breakfast in south Austin last Saturday, we decided at the last minute to go back to the Packery to do some night fishing. We had a blessed weekend to say the least.

We got to the jetties around 4:30pm Sat. No Mullet to be found for my net. We had no bait. So we sat and watched people around us for a while. A small boy was fishing for and catching pin perch nearby. He generously gave all the pin perch he caught. Thank you to that gracious young man and his family! we gladly used them for cut bait. The boy and his family left just before dark. We used up all the bait shortly after.

Around 7:30pm (just after dark), We were just sitting there wondering whether or not to go to the bait shop to "buy" some mullet or shrimp. As I goy in my truck and was about to drive away, a couple of gentlemen came off the jetty and blessed us with about 1-1/2 dozen live mullet. Thank you gentlemen, whom ever you are! You blessed us with that bait. We are grateful! Now on to the fishing!

With our small headlamps we began fishing the channel side near the beach. Then, the bright light turned on across the channel from us! We immediately thought... It's trout catching time. About that time, a nearby camping crowd began playing great music over a PA system. Now we had awesome music. thank you to those folks! we enjoyed that! Now all we needed was some reds or trout.

I am sad to report... We fished until 1am. All we all we caught were hard heads and tiny sandies. But the Blessings we received were awesome! We couldn't have asked for more. The wife and I slept in the truck right there on the beach. Old school style. LOL.

Sunday. we woke up and got some breakfast tacos and coffee. When we got back to the jetty there were plenty of mullet. We walked out towards the end of the south jetty and fished. we caught two Spanish macks. Most folks were catching Spanish Macks or hard heads. I saw only 1 keeper red caught all weekend. We left around noon. We were able to "pay it forward" with our left over live mullet to a group of young men, and a young couple that had no throw net. They were not able to catch bait. It felt good to pay back the blessings we received.

Well, that's my story and I'm sticking to it. We'll be back in a couple weeks.

tight lines all!

Shut up and fish!
Re: Packery Channel Jetty Fishing [Re: catchnrelease] #11901996 10/27/16 01:10 AM
lite-liner Offline
Capt. CUDA
Capt. CUDA
that is a great report!
glad you had fun & paid it forward.
there are tight lines in your future....
thanks for sharing!

[Linked Image]
Re: Packery Channel Jetty Fishing [Re: catchnrelease] #11914464 11/03/16 12:24 PM
C
catchnrelease Offline OP
Extreme Angler
OP Offline
Extreme Angler
C
Good Day all!

The Wife and I are headed back to the packery channel jetties next week. This time I'm bringing my parents with us. We'll be on the bank, no boat. I was wondering if the bull reds have showed up there yet. I've seen a few slot reds the past month but no bulls.

Any fishing report from there or the Port A south jetties would be appreciated.

I'd like to get my parents on a couple of fish this year. They don't salt water fish. My dad has never caught a red fish, trout, flounder, etc. My dad is a cat-fisherman. My mom doesn't like to fish, nor does she like to eat fish. Two years ago, I took both my parents to the packery for their 1st time. They are both in their mid 70's and had never fished salt. We had to talk my mom into it. She finally gave in and bought a fishing license that year. Ends up, she caught a 34" bull red that weekend. We night fished in the channel. I caught 3 bulls, my wife caught 2, my brother another 2, my mom caught her first and only so far, my dad was getting tore up by the hard heads. He didn't catch anything but hard heads and SMacks.

It sure would be nice to post his pic on here holding a nice bull or keeper trout. My fingers are crossed for them.

thank you all reports in advance.

tight lines.

Shut up and fish!
Re: Packery Channel Jetty Fishing [Re: catchnrelease] #11921761 11/07/16 09:11 PM
C
catchnrelease Offline OP
Extreme Angler
OP Offline
Extreme Angler
C
Has it been raining at the jetties? How's the bite down there. Did the bite turn off/on due to any weather? I'll be there Wed. Afternoon. appreciate any info.

Thx.

Shut up and fish!
Re: Packery Channel Jetty Fishing [Re: catchnrelease] #11935732 11/15/16 10:00 PM
C
catchnrelease Offline OP
Extreme Angler
OP Offline
Extreme Angler
C
Went to the packery channel jetties Wed-Fri last week. not a lot of luck. But we had a memorable time with my parents. I was sad my dad didn't hook up to a bull. But that is why they call it fishing and not catching. The wife & my mom both broke off a bull red. My dad caught several small Sand trout. I caught a keeper black drum, a few small specs, and bull red.

it rained some. it was windy. the surf and the tide was high. the beach access and beach area was flooded. Bait was scarce. But all in all we had a good time.

tight lines All!

Shut up and fish!
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide