Forum Stats
102697 Members
61 Forums
858583 Topics
11263275 Posts

Max Online: 36273 @ 01/23/13 02:34 PM
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#11890816 - 10/20/16 12:33 PM Cedar Creek with G Rods International and Chris Webb's Guide Service
Laner Offline
Extreme Angler

Loc: Joshua, TX
"Ain't nothing but a G Rod baby." My spirits are high as it's Tuesday morning and I'm making ripples in my old stomping grounds, my pole already bent with a Cedar Creek crappie. I'm teamed up with Glen Miller and Douglas Johnson of G Rods International, the owner and right hand man of the best rods to ever hit the market. Guiding us is the finest fisherman that Cedar Creek has to offer, Chris Webb. I spent 20% of my life guiding alongside Chris, and we both agreed that it had been way too long since we hit the water together.

With moisture laden skies and a building southwestern wind, we are already at our first brushpile with the skunk smell long gone. Given the low light conditions, Chris has us floating in about 8ft of water, fishing a clump of brush that tapers down the side of a hump. I used to fish this pile a lot, and given the number of fish coming in the boat already, nothing much has changed since I left.

“You gotta keep that jig moving, and be expecting a push up bite. They haven’t wanted it still, and they haven’t been thumping it, so be ready for anything.” As is usually the case when you fish with someone who is on the water six days a week, Chris’ advice is spot on. Doug and Glen are fishing Jerry Taylor’s hand tied jigs in blue and black, while Chris and I are fishing Thump Buddies and Thump Jumpers in the Swamp Thang color. The one thing we all have in common, is we’re all fishing dark bodied jigs with chartreuse heads.

“Lane, try this rod.” Looking over at the offer Douglas is presenting me with, I gladly accept. “Hold on, let me reel this fish in real quick.” (I love it when that happens). I pitch one of Jerry’s jigs into the wind toward the shallow end of the pile, and it never makes it back to me. All the fish had to do was look at the jig and I was able to feel it. I put another four to five fish in the boat and hand back the rod to Doug. “You better take this fast or you ain’t getting it back.”

We shovel through a few more dinks at spot one, and shift over to the west side in order to get out of the wind. This time we’re in 10-12ft, fishing a ledge that drops off quickly. Looking at the Humminbird as we drive by, there’s a whole lot of pretty white dots suspended above the shallow end of the structure, which just so happens to be exactly what we’re looking for today. Throwing out the marker and spinning the nose around, it’s fish on in no time.

Like the pile before, these fish want the jig moving. I am stuck on a new Thump Jumper in the Timber Rattler color, affixed to a UV enhanced chartreuse jig head. Chris did me a favor and stopped on a log that has a big root ball at one end. If my memory serves me correctly, those fish are going to be stacked up around those roots, and they are going to be big black crappie. I pitch out, and set the hook into a head-shaking brute of a fish. I put the net under a 14”, broad shouldered black crappie. I do the same thing three more times in a row. “Man, I forgot how much I missed this lake.”

This same type of scenario holds true throughout the morning. We bounce around from spot to spot, catching 4-6 keepers every time the captain tells it’s time to fish. Glen and Doug were kind enough to let us fish an assortment of rods, ranging from custom salmon rods to personal favorite dock fishing poles. Each and every one crafted by a master rod builder with a passion for fishing that runs deep.

The trio of talents that we have on the boat, mixed with the fact that we are spanking the fins off of the fish on a Tuesday morning, equates to a fantastic experience. One that had to be cut short, as I had to get back into the office to make sure the bills got paid. Shaking hands at the ramp and talking about future plans, Chris and I couldn’t be happier with how the morning had gone. Judging by the smiles on Doug’s and Glen’s faces, I think they had a pretty good time themselves.

A big thanks to G Rods International and Chris Webb’s Guide Service for letting me tag along to enjoy a morning on the water. Their passions and abilities are refreshing and are a very welcomed part of an ever growing and changing industry, and I’m glad to call them both my friends.

Check Out The New Website!!!

TCU Alumni class of 2009

#11890902 - 10/20/16 01:09 PM Re: Cedar Creek with G Rods International and Chris Webb's Guide Service [Re: Laner]
tboxfish Offline
TFF Team Angler

Loc: A small blue spot on planet ea...
clap
Great times for sure!

http://www.texasdeercams.com "Your closer to the Outdoors that You think!"

#11890931 - 10/20/16 01:23 PM Re: Cedar Creek with G Rods International and Chris Webb's Guide Service [Re: Laner]
Slewfoot Offline
Extreme Angler

Loc: E Texas
Sweet!!! I haven't been on that lake since June!! That's far too long!!! violin

I met Doug on Fork last summer! He caught a few big ol crappie right in front of me! I didn't like that too much! I'm not too often on the receiving end of a crappie beating!! roflmao

#11891142 - 10/20/16 02:57 PM Re: Cedar Creek with G Rods International and Chris Webb's Guide Service [Re: Laner]
Fishin" A Jig Offline
Outdoorsman

Bery informative and good report ... nothing like fishing with friends and having a blast ... clap

#11891189 - 10/20/16 03:27 PM Re: Cedar Creek with G Rods International and Chris Webb's Guide Service [Re: Laner]
Cowboytex Offline
Pro Angler

Loc: Bullard, TX
Awesome Laner! Great read as always!

#11891314 - 10/20/16 04:47 PM Re: Cedar Creek with G Rods International and Chris Webb's Guide Service [Re: Laner]
shut-up-and-fish Online   content
TFF Celebrity

Loc: Coppell Tx.

Great read, Great times with great company and a great looking website Laner. Take it to the top my friend.

It's all coming together and we have you covered @ Shut-Up-And-Fish LLC
for all your Humminbird, Minn Kota & Motorguide needs.
We do Installs!!! 972 737 8161

#11891467 - 10/20/16 06:22 PM Re: Cedar Creek with G Rods International and Chris Webb's Guide Service [Re: shut-up-and-fish]
Bobcat1 Online   content
TFF Guru

Loc: Sanger,Texas
As usual Heck of a nice read Lane! As David said awesome website too. fish

#11891475 - 10/20/16 06:27 PM Re: Cedar Creek with G Rods International and Chris Webb's Guide Service [Re: Laner]
CPR Offline
Pro Angler

Loc: Lake lewisville
thumb thumb

CPR
(Catch Photograph Release)
All Catfish over 10lbs.

#11891535 - 10/20/16 07:16 PM Re: Cedar Creek with G Rods International and Chris Webb's Guide Service [Re: Laner]
banker-always fishing Offline
TFF Guru

Loc: Universal City Tx.
Solid post! Thanks for sharing. cheers

IGFA World Record Rio Grande Cichlid. Lake Dunlap.

John 3:16

#11891942 - 10/20/16 11:39 PM Re: Cedar Creek with G Rods International and Chris Webb's Guide Service [Re: Laner]
SheCrappieKilla Offline
Extreme Angler

Loc: West of Ft Worth and South
Nice work there Chris, good looking bunch of fish.

Lane, I got to hand it to you on your new web site.

#11892054 - 10/21/16 06:46 AM Re: Cedar Creek with G Rods International and Chris Webb's Guide Service [Re: Laner]
Gamblinman Online   content
Extreme Angler

Loc: Yantis, TX
clap

#11892195 - 10/21/16 08:17 AM Re: Cedar Creek with G Rods International and Chris Webb's Guide Service [Re: Laner]
Action_Jackson Offline
Extreme Angler

Loc: Dallas, Texas
"Ain't nothing but a G-Rod ba-bayyy, slangin slabs and tossing toads like cra-zayyy" roflmao roflmao roflmao

Nice work fellas...looks like there was lots of fun with some trash talk goin on thumb thumb

"STAY ready for the THUMP"!!!!

#11892309 - 10/21/16 09:15 AM Re: Cedar Creek with G Rods International and Chris Webb's Guide Service [Re: Laner]
varnoldi Offline
Outdoorsman

Loc: Watauga, TX
Is there a fishing tournament at cedar creek this weekend ? We are headed down after work today...

#11892820 - 10/21/16 01:05 PM Re: Cedar Creek with G Rods International and Chris Webb's Guide Service [Re: Laner]
Fooshman Offline
Extreme Angler

Loc: Black Dog, TX
thumb

Custom Crosses and Plaques

#11893112 - 10/21/16 04:51 PM Re: Cedar Creek with G Rods International and Chris Webb's Guide Service [Re: Laner]
palomar Offline
Outdoorsman

Great read as always Lane. Thanks for sharing and love the new Constant Pursuit Outfitters website layout.

Fish On!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© 1998-2016 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide